Project Blown TL Type S is underway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22
This has turned out to be a very intersting thread. All Kennedy is saying is 23 hp more than a N/A modded TL-S isn't woth the extra 5000 dollars and a possiable engine blowup. Makes sense if you look at it.
This is one of the best summary posts I've seen so far. I've followed this thread off and on. And while I think that a good supercharger setup would be really cool and unique on a Type-S, the fact that the aftermarket support is just not there to do it reliably and to make it worth the investment is what would steer the majority of people away from it.

If the tuning does, in fact, get sorted out, meth or no meth the next steps would be to beef up the engine internals and really push the block for all it's worth. Otherwise, if I personally was going to dump money into power mods for this car I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable doing proven & safe NA mods to get comfortably near those power levels.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
I VOTE FOR

installing a set of precat deletes and re-dyno....
you think they will level out the lean situtation during vtech, or maybe a set of rsx type s injectors???
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
you think they will level out the lean situtation during vtech, or maybe a set of rsx type s injectors???
i thought installing pre-cat deletes will make it more lean, not less?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
i thought installing pre-cat deletes will make it more lean, not less?
That's correct. Lean is when your A/F is to high, as in you have too much air per the volume of fuel applied. Lean is bad.

Mods which unrestrict the intake/exhaust allow more air to consumed, thus usually leaning out the A/F ratio, but not usually enough to hurt anything.

4 lbs of compressed air is enough to hurt something if more fuel isn't added, hence tuning to add fuel, retard timing etc...
Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by subsonicman
tuning is an art, stand out form the rest, and KENNY eat a fresh bowl from me..... I hope this hurts your feelings, This whole project has the support of CT, and they have also been supportive of my next project
I've read a number of your denigrating posts to members including Kennedy, who actually is a very informative poster, and honestly if I were a customer or member on this forum I would never do business with you. You may have worked something out with CT's ACM and that is great but you are a very poor businessman. You might want to reconsider some of your posts and actions because you're isolating yourself on this forum.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
My ultimate point was that adding meth to this setup was not going to unleash another 20 HP.
The way that most members on here are installing the water meth may not lead to substantial gains. In these cases adding the water meth is a security blanket since it effectively acts like an octane booster (something to the tune of 108 octane) so you can try and stave off detonation. But if you tune for water meth you can advance timing and see gains of 10-20%.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:05 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
this forums all about helping members and I haven't read anything by the aforementioned member doing any sort of help
Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^he wants us to buy a s/c and have him install and tune it for us. its a secret
Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I've read a number of your denigrating posts to members including Kennedy, who actually is a very informative poster, and honestly if I were a customer or member on this forum I would never do business with you. You may have worked something out with CT's ACM and that is great but you are a very poor businessman. You might want to reconsider some of your posts and actions because you're isolating yourself on this forum.

The way that most members on here are installing the water meth may not lead to substantial gains. In these cases adding the water meth is a security blanket since it effectively acts like an octane booster (something to the tune of 108 octane) so you can try and stave off detonation. But if you tune for water meth you can advance timing and see gains of 10-20%.
Thanks Josh...
As Elegant type S said... I come of as a cocky prick, well unfortunatly because I am, but I wasn't born last night, and I do know a little bit about what I post on. If I don't know something, I keep my mouth shut and try to learn... but 99% of the time, and especially here, my posts are more oriented toward dry humor and screwing with forum veterans. Why folks like to get all riled up on the internet is such a trip. All i can think of is "don't wrestle with a pig adage...".

To your point regarding meth... Agree 100%, it's the trivial task of advancing the timing to get that gain that seems to be the impossible task.
I know little of how to accomplish this with no ECU tuning options, but has anyone ever considered a mechanical timing advance as a way to try to boost a meth's SC output? Is that even possible on the J series engines?

Last edited by Kennedy; 04-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by greco9885
^he wants us to buy a s/c and have him install and tune it for us. its a secret
First off, I don't sell Superchargers on line, and I don't sell anything on this forum.

As for the secret, I have said over and over again that we upped, the injector pulse length. we also modified some brackets to fit, and made a supercharger fit. the are pictures in S_Hengs photo bucket. I asked many forum members for help, and I know of some vendors that wanted nothing to do with this project. It was a very easy install, more research, and legwork then actual work.

And Yes I am a poor businessman. I only work on cars because I love it. I love the industry, and Hobby, and the sport of it all, I love the originality of it all. I want to do nothing more then make awesome cars. Using of course my trusty Dremel tool, and some Tin Snips.

And as for the Meth, I too agree with Kenny. which is rare.

as for drive ability, Its only 4 pounds! 4 pounds is not going to end the world as we know it.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
This is one of the best summary posts I've seen so far. I've followed this thread off and on. And while I think that a good supercharger setup would be really cool and unique on a Type-S, the fact that the aftermarket support is just not there to do it reliably and to make it worth the investment is what would steer the majority of people away from it.

If the tuning does, in fact, get sorted out, meth or no meth the next steps would be to beef up the engine internals and really push the block for all it's worth. Otherwise, if I personally was going to dump money into power mods for this car I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable doing proven & safe NA mods to get comfortably near those power levels.
When you add up the $ for a fully modded Car, you will spend more then 5k, this car as an Exhaust, and that's it. it has a cold air intake now, but that sort of already came with the kit form CT< so, personally, I feel it is like compairing Apples to Oranges (go Blazen). in one hand you have a fully modded car, with every aftermarket part you can buy making ALMOST 300hp and on the other you have one part, put on a car that is making 321 before the changing of the pulley. Thats why the statement of 23 HP is so upsetting to me
Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
When you add up the $ for a fully modded Car, you will spend more then 5k, this car as an Exhaust, and that's it. it has a cold air intake now, but that sort of already came with the kit form CT< so, personally, I feel it is like compairing Apples to Oranges (go Blazen). in one hand you have a fully modded car, with every aftermarket part you can buy making ALMOST 300hp and on the other you have one part, put on a car that is making 321 before the changing of the pulley. Thats why the statement of 23 HP is so upsetting to me
But you're also forgetting the fact the S/C car in question is a 6MT and Blackura's is an auto. There's ~12 whp difference in the two cars when stock. All else being equal, Blackura's car would be slightly over 300 if it was a 6MT.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Fuck all this thread BS it's subsonicman's b-day

HAPPY
BIRTHDAY
CHRIS!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
well since I got my integra... I've been hanging around another forum... and there... when there's a discussion about a cars potential... someone simply writes

LOCK IT UP... meaning time for a good ol' street race
Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Instructor

well since I got my integra... I've been hanging around another forum... and there... when there's a discussion about a cars potential... someone simply writes

LOCK IT UP... meaning time for a good ol' street race
HIN is at English Town TOO!!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by anx1300c
But you're also forgetting the fact the S/C car in question is a 6MT and Blackura's is an auto. There's ~12 whp difference in the two cars when stock. All else being equal, Blackura's car would be slightly over 300 if it was a 6MT.
And Blacks Car is cool as hell too..... But I think he will agree the SC is wicked cool....

Slightly over 300hp is still not 321hp before the smaller pulley

the car is around 335-345hp currently.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
Fuck all this thread BS it's subsonicman's b-day

HAPPY
BIRTHDAY
CHRIS!!!!
Thanks!!!!

And I am Still Working on my car today!!!!!

ZOOM_ZOOM_ZOOM
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

And Blacks Car is cool as hell too..... But I think he will agree the SC is wicked cool....

Slightly over 300hp is still not 321hp before the smaller pulley

the car is around 335-345hp currently.
wtfack o_O where did this 14-24 extra hp come from? or is that base hp?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
wtfack o_O where did this 14-24 extra hp come from? or is that base hp?
Smaller Pulley, which brought the car from 3.5 pounds of boost to 4.8 pounds of boost, and custom cold air intake, and that is just a guess, because we have no real reason to go back to the dyno
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Safety Car

this forums all about helping members and I haven't read anything by the aforementioned member doing any sort of help
NOT TRUE! just because it is not posted in this thread does not mean subsonicman does not help azine members....
Have you or has anyone else specifically asked for his help at any point? No, I don't think so because if you had you would know him well enough that you would not make that comment.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
CarrieLynn, why are you posting in this thread... The thread title is not what you think it is!

(boy, am I gonna get it for this )
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Trew
CarrieLynn, why are you posting in this thread... The thread title is not what you think it is!

(boy, am I gonna get it for this )

HAHAHAHA
Trew, you are crazy! You just want me to post more random, ridiculous shit about you!

I am all over this thread, someone has to come in here and defend these guys, they are good people. Subsonicman drives a Mazda but we shouldn't hold that against him.

And yes, I am still ahead in the joke war, you are catching up with the above post but you will never beat me....NEVER! and we are all waiting for your HIN pics in the other thread, get it together, you said you were gonna win for me...how'd that go??
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Smaller Pulley, which brought the car from 3.5 pounds of boost to 4.8 pounds of boost, and custom cold air intake, and that is just a guess, because we have no real reason to go back to the dyno
what do you mean by smaller pulley? sorry for the noobiness. i think i might have missed it maybe? but do you mean a crank pulley or the hbp?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Drifting

smaller crankshaft pulley means more rpms on the blower since the pulley spins faster.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Trew
smaller crankshaft pulley means more rpms on the blower since the pulley spins faster.
That's completely incorrect.
A smaller crankshaft pulley would actually SLOW the rpms of the blower pulley, reducing boost pressure. This is why Unorthodox Racing does NOT reccomend the underdrive pulley on SC's cars.

The smaller pulley is reffereed to here as the "high boost pulley" or HBP. The HBP installs on the end of the blower shaft. Smaller means it spins faster at the same input speed. In some cases, spinning faster adds more boost, which can be better... but in the case of the this blower, it pushes the RPMs in the blower too high, as the speed osf the paddles adds more heat than the additional speed provides. It 'effeciancy' of the blower is not optimal, it's pushing in more air, but at the same time, heating it up, thus reducing the air charge density... Therefore, not accomplishing much.
There's a reason Comptech doesn't ship these blowers with the HBP installed, and why installing them will void your blower warranty.

... So let me get this straight, as I read the postings above... you've arbitrarily decided you got 15-25 more HP by installing the HBP and a noisemaker CAI...
Wow.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Kennedy... That was a very educating post. You just taught me (and some others, i bet) something!

I guess I should not have assumed... Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Trew, posts like that are exactly why you are not allowed out of the garage. When I get home you will be tied back up. No more azine for you!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

A smaller crankshaft pulley would actually SLOW the rpms of the blower pulley, reducing boost pressure. This is why Unorthodox Racing does NOT reccomend the underdrive pulley on SC's cars.

The smaller pulley is reffereed to here as the "high boost pulley" or HBP. The HBP installs on the end of the blower shaft. Smaller means it spins faster at the same input speed. In some cases, spinning faster adds more boost, which can be better... but in the case of the this blower, it pushes the RPMs in the blower too high, as the speed osf the paddles adds more heat than the additional speed provides. It 'effeciancy' of the blower is not optimal, it's pushing in more air, but at the same time, heating it up, thus reducing the air charge density... Therefore, not accomplishing much.
There's a reason Comptech doesn't ship these blowers with the HBP installed, and why installing them will void your blower warranty.

... So let me get this straight, as I read the postings above... you've arbitrarily decided you got 15-25 more HP by installing the HBP and a noisemaker CAI...
Wow.
that's what i was thinking... he said he already installed the hbp when he installed the blower, and i've heard here that a UR pulley actually decreases performance on the sc, so i was thinking... whoaaa how did he get that kinda increase outta no where?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Under Pressure

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kennedy schools us quite frequently.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Instructor

NOT TRUE! just because it is not posted in this thread does not mean subsonicman does not help azine members....
Have you or has anyone else specifically asked for his help at any point? No, I don't think so because if you had you would know him well enough that you would not make that comment.
I help S_heng all the time. He Infact does most if not all of his own work
Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Wow.
Dude, you really need to relax. And get a hobby, You spend way to much time hating on this car. the fact is this car is FAST. The Car is 100% Safe. If you would like to come by and see it, play with it what ever, take a trip to CT, my door is always open, S_Heng is always at the shop, and you can see the car. I would really enjoy meeting you. I will even take you to EMS

the car came with a pulley form a kit for a 3.2L the supercharger is on a 3.5L. the HBP, smaller pulley is to give you a real/better boost level. the kit was good for 4-5 pounds of boost, we were getting 3.2 pounds. Now we are getting 4-5

I look forward to meeting you someday, we should form a meet just so you and I can meet. Who Knows, we might even become good friends
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Instructor

Talking

I own a shop, A very small shop, In real life it is like a Tuner consignment shop, and I often help people work on there cars. Just Sunday, I am in helping S_Heng, And johnny Rocket put on rear struts, and eibach springs. (it was my birthday) carrielynn was the drink bicth too. So thats 3 A-ziners I have helped, I have also fixed Tint for Azine members, I am putting A K20 in for a Azine member. I am always more then willing to help people out, Often times I dont even make money on the help..... Damn bad bussiness again

The Truth is I am not a vendor on this site, nor will they let me be a vendor. That being said the vendors on this site have an issue with me helping people with my input. I helped a kid with a question about springs, and gave him my input, next thing you know I got a warning from a moderator. I helped a kid with a radio question, (radios and dremels are at the heart of my bussiness) I got my final warning, and so now I dont help people, because I dont want to get kicked off the site, so I dont list my friends by name any more, and i dont list parts by name. So, if you ever want help, you can PM me, or you can call me. My real email is on my website (which has very parts listed) because I dont have any time to list them.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

^ SEE told you guys he helps!!
that is ALL truth!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Talking

^ SEE told you guys he helps!!
that is ALL truth!
Even the part about you being the drink Bitch
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Originally Posted by s_heng_62
hbp went on the same day as the dyno, just post dyno. it's posted on page 13 or 14
ok, so this is where i get confused... he said the hbp went on the same day as when you dynoed at 321, right? so what pulley are you talking about? the ur crank pulley supposedly gives you worst gains than the stock pulley with the s/c on from what another member has said. so i'm still just wondering where that extra 14-24 hp came from as stated before?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
ok, so this is where i get confused... he said the hbp went on the same day as when you dynoed at 321, right? so what pulley are you talking about? the ur crank pulley supposedly gives you worst gains than the stock pulley with the s/c on from what another member has said. so i'm still just wondering where that extra 14-24 hp came from as stated before?
same day as dyno, just after we got back to the shop after the dyno was finished
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

same day as dyno, just after we got back to the shop after the dyno was finished
ahhh. ok that makes sense noww lol
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Even the part about you being the drink Bitch
yea, I was the drink bitch, I don't care, I gotta keep my azine men happy! HAHAHA, but I did help though I fixed Sean's door sills but you weren't there then and I did other stuff too, I fixed Johnny Rocket's door....

do you know Sean is the the beach right now? HATE HIM!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Safety Car

Sean, this is for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsQQ...eature=channel
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
LOL @ phone call, but should do it outside of a crowded parking lot next time.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
LOL @ phone call, but should do it outside of a crowded parking lot next time.
hahaha, that was me and that was at the CT meet thats why it was crowded and I didn't wanna get kicked out

Quick Reply: Project Blown TL Type S is underway