Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I'm not running any wideband or fixed maps.
It has to be one or the other. If you're doing a custom tune, then I would wait for that.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by gerzand
Sweet, lets chill. lol
Any other type-S owner nearby that you know of? I probably shouldn't be derailing this thread

That's awesome though! I've gotta get my front bumper repainted and need to hit up either a Honda/Acura dealership for a PPI inspection to make sure everything is all good for the long run. Recently found a axle seal leak, not too bad though.

I'm still pretty new to the type-S but maybe you can point me in the right direction with modding this thing

/end thread derail
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
Any other type-S owner nearby that you know of? I probably shouldn't be derailing this thread

That's awesome though! I've gotta get my front bumper repainted and need to hit up either a Honda/Acura dealership for a PPI inspection to make sure everything is all good for the long run. Recently found a axle seal leak, not too bad though.

I'm still pretty new to the type-S but maybe you can point me in the right direction with modding this thing

/end thread derail
PM'd you
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
i understand that. i have an experienced road tuner who will be riding along with me to self tune this thing.

i just don't want a bunch of issues with it after the tune is set. i don't want cranking issues, i don't want CEL's, i don't want the car jerking, etc...you get the idea.

i think most would agree with me on that, and that these issues should have been worked out PRIOR to starting a group buy and sending these out. we all paid good money for this item and i expect it to work as advertised with no hiccups or short/long term damage to my car.
Good luck with that, I just got the car back after being down for 6 weeks of tuning. I would never have bought this if I knew the issues and $$$ it was going to cost me. I too have the hard start, car wanting to die after start and surging rpms. The car runs pretty good, but I thought the ECU was alot more refined than this. I am really disappointed in how it all turned out.
I am really looking at removing it and going back to the Fic, the car seemed to run better and I had none of the issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hi speed:
justnspace (03-06-2012), SharksBreath (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Way to go Andy

HI Speed: Just wanted to know what kind of issues are you encountering and also when i spoke to Andy yesterday he was explaining me how the Tunerstudio has options to avoid most of the problems we commonly see....so i wanna know what problems you are facing so when i get the ECU, I can try to see if there is a way around those things....
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by KN_TL
It has to be one or the other. If you're doing a custom tune, then I would wait for that.
KN, I think he is running a fixed map....the "base map" which is provided by Rodney
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
Good luck with that, I just got the car back after being down for 6 weeks of tuning. I would never have bought this if I knew the issues and $$$ it was going to cost me. I too have the hard start, car wanting to die after start and surging rpms. The car runs pretty good, but I thought the ECU was alot more refined than this. I am really disappointed in how it all turned out.
I am really looking at removing it and going back to the Fic, the car seemed to run better and I had none of the issues.
see that's exactly what i'm talking about.

rodney, swoosh, gerzand...don't get me wrong here. i love that someone (rodney) is being a pioneer for all of us and has created something like this. it is very exciting (which is why i bought it)...but i just feel that all these issues should have been corrected before he started selling these. this is my DD and i can't afford to have something happen to my car.

i also realize that J&R is more of a mom n pop shop and not some large facility with millions of dollars to throw around. i guess i just expected these problems to be addressed on his end instead of ours.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I say once everyone has their ECU in hand, they all take a trip to visit Andy. Once there, Andy can charge whatever he likes to tune
The following users liked this post:
gerzand (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
BANNED

^well i'll have mine on saturday.

...andy

sup bro?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
i understand that. i have an experienced road tuner who will be riding along with me to self tune this thing.

i just don't want a bunch of issues with it after the tune is set. i don't want cranking issues, i don't want CEL's, i don't want the car jerking, etc...you get the idea.

i think most would agree with me on that, and that these issues should have been worked out PRIOR to starting a group buy and sending these out. we all paid good money for this item and i expect it to work as advertised with no hiccups or short/long term damage to my car.
agreed 100%
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I say once everyone has their ECU in hand, they all take a trip to visit Andy. Once there, Andy can charge whatever he likes to tune
HowTF did you figure my plan out LOL
gerzand (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
easy for you to say... canada..
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

The reason the surging issues you guys describe is likely startup fuel enrichment related. If the car is surging (up to 2 or 3k and down to nearly stalling ) in RPM at startup before even keeling out after 20+ seconds, you are probably not supplying enough fuel. A cold engine requires much more fuel at startup than a warm one. I have also experience phenomena where an extremely heatsoaked engine can also have a hard time starting due to intake temps. I, for one, have never had any long lasting startup/cranking issues....probably because I didnt take any tune that shipped with the ECU as being *magic*. This car is VERRRRRY PARTICULAR about 0% throttle and idling. A change on the order of 5% in fuel can make or break a effortless startup with a few taps of the gas pedal if cold. It's much easier to give this thing a fair shot if you read the manual and glossary and understand even *some* of Tunerstudio.

Im not saying some of you havent had wiring issues and such, but this isnt a magic 25hp in a box without a little time and knowledge, or paying for the time and/or knowledge by hiring a tuner.

Sorry for the tangent

Last edited by gerzand; 03-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gerzand:
BostonSilverTypeS (03-06-2012), phee (03-06-2012), swoosh (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noober
easy for you to say... canada..
I'm only 3.5 hours from the Rainbow bridge crossing!

:gheywave:

lol
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
Originally Posted by swoosh
KN, I think he is running a fixed map....the "base map" which is provided by Rodney
Kurt, Anil is correct. Miss understood the question...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Green Machine

I'm going to have to switch back to stock. Unfortunately I can't get this tune any time soon. The local tuner can't get me in this week. I'm in the Navy and will be deploying on Sunday for 7 months. I will have to wait till I get back. Hopefully the issues will be figured out by then.

On the plus side, I drove about 12 miles. I can definitely feel a bump in power with just the base tune. But can't do without VSA, cruise control, or smooth operation.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
^^ good luck and safe journey.. we will keep this post alive until you get back

once I get the ECU I will try and map out most of the features in tunerstudio to help .. wont help people tune but hopefully educate myself and others
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

That is surprising. I immediately noticed a huge improvement except for the startup being 5-10sec instead of firing right off.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm only 3.5 hours from the Rainbow bridge crossing!
I didn't realize you weren't that far away from the border.
When I pick up this ECU you can bet I'll be headed down south to get the my Type-S tuned to Gerzand-Spec.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Soooo, just to clarify, this is NOT a plug-n-play ECU that will run smooth out of the box (like it was told to us it would be)??? It MUST be tuned in order for it to run exactly like stock? Or will it ever run like stock?

It's kinda disappointing having these concerns right before we're actually receiving these...I thought these were 100% good-to-go right out of the box...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 03-06-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by FCVadi
^^ good luck and safe journey.. we will keep this post alive until you get back

once I get the ECU I will try and map out most of the features in tunerstudio to help .. wont help people tune but hopefully educate myself and others
Thanks boss!

To everyone else:

First of all I have to give Rodney for calling me back so quickly. Second after talking to Rodney, I will be sending the ECU back for Rodney to correct the issues. He assured me that the VSA CEL will be fixed and also the cooling fan running prematurely. Since I will be leaving soon, I'm in no rush. I will be anxious to install this again when I get back.

So guys please give Rodney a chance to correct these. At least he's making this available to us. Also when I was driving on the highway, I did felt a big bump in power (can honestly say at least 10-15 hp). Keep in mind that he has fixed BostonSilverTypeS's issues. Keep up the good work Rodney!
BostonSilverTypeS (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM
BANNED

^i wonder if he fixed my ECU issues as well before sending it out.

i will be getting the same map that Boston got.
BostonSilverTypeS (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Too bad you got to wait 7 Months.. Have a good deployment my dude... What ship you on? Man i dont miss REVEILLE REVEILLE!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Its disappointing everyone who's received their ECU is having multiple issues. It sucks for me because I'm in Canada. But its good to hear everyone is helping each other out. I hope I have no issues Im thankful for all the good info you guy's have been posting and help trouble shooting these issues
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
04' tl 6 spd

I'm still waiting for mean to arrive. I didn't receive a tracking number but should be here soon
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
ugh...I really hope we all don't have issues with this.

starting to worry me and make me think this was released without a lot trial and error testing.
Hey Sharky relax you should be all set with no issues if you receive the last map I just got....Only one you should worry about is the running rich code I had mentioned but other then that you will be trouble free....I use my car as a DD as well and def cannot afford to be down.....I drove the car from florida back to boston with the problematic tune and made it without leaving me stranded somewhere......

So with that being said the ECU is plug n play out the box, but I mean lets face it...it is a computer and there will always be small glitches here and there....and I mean these are small glitches....there is nothing major going on so you are still able to drive the car everyday....Unless there is a harness issue or something...the ECU itself and the software and the great thing about it is a very quick fix with a retune and adjustments...... I mean even brand new cars sometimes have recalls with less then 5miles on them and they engine dies out and needs to be programmed....cough cough BMW's in specific my daily dosage of dealing with them....so if Big time multi billion dollar companies produces cars that cost over 100k having issues......don't be so disappointed with these small glitches in these ECU's and give Rodney a chance to fix them....his service is by far the best I have ever dealt with and you just don't find kool and dont to earth people in this industry who are willing to go the extra mile and getting it fixed right!!!

Even when I was updating people with these issues I was stating I wasnt too worried as Rodney had assured me things were going to be fixed.....

the starting issue I could have gotten fixed right there in florida but it was past midnight and i felt bad keeping him tuning my car any longer that I just did the 3cycle thing he had showed me until new tune arrived....So be patient and in the end you will have a blast with the new ECU and a TL that is a little more enjoyable to drive around during those spirited times!!!

and sidenote Gerzand.....thinking of doing that PNP manifold/runners if so I heard you got the hook on that....then after that might have to do a tune after install....Ohio drive in the summer!!! package deal I'm thinking PNP manifold/runners and tune!!! will be PMming you in the near future!!
The following 2 users liked this post by BostonSilverTypeS:
gerzand (03-07-2012), justnspace (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Im not saying some of you havent had wiring issues and such, but this isnt a magic 25hp in a box without a little time and knowledge, or paying for the time and/or knowledge by hiring a tuner.

this is like the 4th time someone said this about this ecu. maybe now people will listen
The following 3 users liked this post by libert69:
gerzand (03-07-2012), justnspace (03-06-2012), phee (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have any clips of the ecu?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow been under the flu for past few days havent been off intentionally ..

First let me say sorry for dissapointment hi speed i deeply regret your outcome as ive tried getting a feed back from your shop and couldnt get one til you emailed ,ive noticed you maybe not up to speed on what went on during time your car was in the shop similiar to aem fic install........

Well lets start from 2years ago when we sent out turbo kit with aem fic car was down for quiet a while due to your shop error which we fixed after two long weeks of retracking there install steps despite our install manual totally not our fault especially when we sent the same product to kn which he installed and worked as promised ......

Now with jandr ecu install your shop ran into issues which at first we definetly thought was contributed to us so we went ahead and work with your shop nite and day even had my tuner work with them again......

So lets start ecu is delivered we get a call ecu is not working now im prepared as i know we had issues before when your car was there before ,mechanic believes our harness is wired wrong i disagree but with exceptional customer service which i try to deliver i have harness sent back to us ,upon arrival plug harness up car starts up and drive ,i call and let them know harness is good i overnite harness back free of charge ......

they recieve harness send over new tune ect ,still an issue have my tuner work with tech via phone ,cant seem to find problem ok send ecu back ,they do ,we recieve ecu test it it works ok now i know theres another issue not ecu ....now my tuner config an ecu instructs me to plug it up ensure startup ect i do and overnite ecu free of charge again ....

now ecu reaches tech states its running much better ok no prob theyll tune over weekend.........now i get an email tuning session not sucessful due to ecu issues try diagnosing problem no luck at this point my tuner says ok clearly theyre not doing something right ,now im lost for options.....

i go ahead behind my tuners back grab an ecu out of inventory config and send to the shop overnite no charge now they have 2 ecu in there possesion ,i instruct tech please send other ecu back asap he says ok ,now at this point im almost sure theres more going on as they had to soldier wires on the car as the aem fic was hard wired originally, but anyway i just want car working .........

ecu arrives tech says ecu is here car starts and revs fine but lapop losses sync then i throw in towel and tell him get a new laptop weve never encounter this much issue theres something theyre over looking like 2 years prior.....

days go by no calls no email i try to contact them no answer no ecu sent back either ,then i get a call abouth meth install a quick one no update on car theyre checking some things ect,instruct tech to resend extra ecu back........

a week pass no updates no ,no answer after numerous attempts now im out an ecu three overnites no charge numerous phone sessions ,and by the way thanks for shipping out ecu hi speed as shop did not even do so out of courtesy ,but fine no worries ,needless to say they never even gave a call back or update ......not even sure how they solved issue or what was wrong but clearly not ecu fault ,ive sent same product to kn and he plugged it up and got it working initially when kn recieved ecu ........

So its fair to say jandr did best it could to help out your situation but clearly im not sure if shop your using is i dont know .......

ive sent out ecu to guys that works fine i think andy ,boston and kn can and have been helping me out in this thread thanks guys .......

HI SPEED im willing to fix this car and get you correct fix which ive worked and fixed everyone car to best i can and with your results im very dissapointed ,but willing to help.........................
The following 4 users liked this post by pass427:
BostonSilverTypeS (03-07-2012), gerzand (03-07-2012), InFaMouSLink (03-07-2012), KN_TL (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Burning Brakes

A bit of assurance from us as weve always worked and fixed all issues as the forums keep us a float so i do listen ,thank you toatlacura and deeply sorry for vsa cel ,this is caused due to the fact we removed vtec control from oem ecu and control it with ms3 which was explained earlier ......
NOW REMEMBER WHEN ECU IS PLUGGED IN THERES A BASE MAP INCLUDED WHICH IS BUMP IN POWER FROM FACTORY TUNE ,THE CAR WILL NEED A FEW DAYS FOR FACTORY ECU TO RELEARN IDLE FUNCTIONS ECT ,AND FOR 2004 MODELS REST ASSURE ILL HAVE THIS FIX SO THERES NO CEL FOR VTEC ,THE ECU DOES WORK AND DOES PLUG UP AND START AND WORKS AS TOTALACURA DID STATES IT WORKS ECT JUST CEL AS FAR AS FAN ABLILTY IS THERE TO TURN THEM ON EARLIER THAN FACTORY IF DESIRED .....
The following 2 users liked this post by pass427:
gerzand (03-07-2012), t0talacuratl (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Burning Brakes

mods on the car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf5pFNGEl34

OEM ECU 4th gear pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5iiTgzCw0

OEM ECU 3rd gear pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=105-Uc58FOg

what MS3 can do for ya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8RBzbpBuR4

MS3 and OBDII scan tool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGc3vraPrsY

gains with MS3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtfSHdQqLqU

am still trying to upload 4th gear runs with MS3....will post em up shortly...
videos can be found under username 2004rodney on youtube with ms3 dynos and gains
The following 2 users liked this post by pass427:
BostonSilverTypeS (03-07-2012), FCVadi (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

@Sonnick: yeah, i was kinda expecting that....since the cats are choking up the path, no matter how free flowing your rest of the exhaust is, it doesnt matter you see

@Fenda rolla: here they are

4th gear, stock vtec engagement, "special" PCD-Jpipe-3rd cat delete, Greddy Exhaust, AEM V2 intake, MS3 ECU:

Videos:
3rd and 4th gear run with stock vtec engagement, "special" PCD-Jpipe-3rd cat delete, Greddy Exhaust, AEM V2 intake, STOCK ECU, 93 Octane:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-TGcECOj_M

3rd gear run with stock vtec engagement, "special" PCD-Jpipe-3rd cat delete, Greddy Exhaust, AEM V2 intake, STOCK ECU, 108 Octane:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9cNJ5hg0Dg

4th gear run with stock vtec engagement, "special" PCD-Jpipe-3rd cat delete, Greddy Exhaust, AEM V2 intake, STOCK ECU, 108 Octane:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IcQfeKpKY

Torque = Flat line. 4th gear. MS3. 93 Octane
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BRHEAEcG4

Vtec @ 4800 rpm. 4th gear. MS3. 93 Octane - MUST WATCH
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUmyDtidTU

Different VTEC engagement points explained
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2NA_OQgKeM

Graph comparisions to VTEC at 5000rpm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfPYOmEDqg

PS: Steven Bell you have a PM to change the thread heading once again
vidoes
FCVadi (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
BANNED

thanks for that update rodney, so you sent me the same map that boston has correct? with the above mentioned issues fixed? and the only thing i may have pop up is a running rich code?
BostonSilverTypeS (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Safety Car

I know HiSpeed has been with Rodney as long as I have but my experience with him is so much different. Granted I've done everything myself but whenever I had a problem, especially with the ECU, Rodney was on the phone with me immediately and had me talk to his tuner directly even though he had answered my questions.

When I was installing my turbo, I kept melting my wastegate lines which caused weird habits under boost. He gave me many many suggestions and I ended up finding it was my issue. But at no time did I ever feel I didn't have Rodney to rely on.

Bottom line is that even though it may take time depending on his workload, he has always gotten back to me. And like I said earlier in this thread, if I haven't heard back in a few days, I always follow up because email is not always reliable.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 AM

aye Rodney glad you got your ass on here and posted even thow you were sick as a dog....as i suggested to you, get on here every 2-3 days and just see whats going on so the newbies dont get scared.....

now get some rest....you sounded horrible on the phone....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
for those going to tune shops find out if they have ever tuned a MS ECU/Chip.. MS3 is the latest but there are priors.. MS3 has more available but it us built on the megasquirt foundation... just because it says tuner on the outside doesnt mean they are up to date on the new technology.. just two cents from hearing of others who worked with moron tuners who were set in their old ways
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
BANNED

^yup i've come to find out that a lot of tuners don't use megasquirt in my area. they say it's more of a DIY type of tune.

that said, i'm very happy i've got a friend with the appropriate software on his laptop and has exp road tuning cars.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FCVadi
for those going to tune shops find out if they have ever tuned a MS ECU/Chip.. MS3 is the latest but there are priors.. MS3 has more available but it us built on the megasquirt foundation... just because it says tuner on the outside doesnt mean they are up to date on the new technology.. just two cents from hearing of others who worked with moron tuners who were set in their old ways
That is the first thing I ask. If they have no idea then common sense says to find the exit.

Also, self education goes a long way. All of the answers are in the forums and if they aren't, ask. The developers are very responsive.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks for that update rodney, so you sent me the same map that boston has correct? with the above mentioned issues fixed? and the only thing i may have pop up is a running rich code?
I did manage to Stop your package to fix the vtec and send the tune that will not trigger cel for vtec only cel should encounter is bank 1or 2 too rich which does not affect tune or driving ......
SharksBreath (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by pass427
I did manage to Stop your package to fix the vtec and send the tune that will not trigger cel for vtec only cel should encounter is bank 1or 2 too rich which does not affect tune or driving ......

Quick Reply: Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)