Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Those lights make it look like you're about to time travel.
I think he did. He hit 88 MPH as he flew past the camera and was transported to someplace in the future.

Damn, was that a TL or a DeLorean
Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
@Boston

I fired my TL up after sitting for about a month. It took about 10 seconds of cranking and it fired right off. It was about 35 deg in my garage.

Even after shutting it down and restarting, it fired up within 5 sec or so.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
@Boston

I fired my TL up after sitting for about a month. It took about 10 seconds of cranking and it fired right off. It was about 35 deg in my garage.

Even after shutting it down and restarting, it fired up within 5 sec or so.
hmm yeah I been meaning to call Rodney been real tied up! he called me yesterday about having a new starting map adjustment for me, but I haven't had a chance to call back hopefully soon though!! on another note though I did install my ecu back in and I have been at around 5second mark when it's warmer then 30degrees!....when it sit overnight and early in the morning at around 20ish or so I say I have to try couple of times with 5-6 seconds of cranking between each!

KN are you doing the 3cycle trick or just firing it up without cycling?

on another topic I will call Rodney on this as well and ask him since I need to call him anyway for the starting adjustment, but I finally installed my LED knock monitor light and began monitoring knock! so question is this I know in stock form the TL's have knock and what not, but how much knock for these cars is considered normal or not normal.....I am getting some knock around 4k rpm and on 2nd gear and third gear when WOT and when I am not on WOT, so half throttle I get knock at around 5k vtec engagement! So I know some knock is acceptable but how much and also when the knock monitor detects knock is the MS3 unit adjusting timing or no???

just figured I'd throw it on here in case others get it in future or have already?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Where did you mount the knock led?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Where did you mount the knock led?
well for right now I have it wedged right in between dash and trim where the VSA button is not its final place and not a good location there as its not in clear view but I been thinking of putting it some where in front of steering wheel the upper trim portion of steering cover right in front of the speedo cluster but not sure yet as that light is really bright at night when it lights up!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

I have my LED hanging out of the center compartment! I haven't seen any knock but when I may be getting it I am too busy driving.

I didn't do the 3 cycle trick and just cranked on it. Does it idle ok after it's finally starts?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

I haven't seen any knock but when I may be getting it I am too busy driving.
@ all readers

Sorry to keep harping on this, but it is important. This is a case in point. This is why logging is so important. If I had a choice between gauges or logging, I would pick logging hands-down.

This is a nice feature of my knock monitor. It will display the current knock level and also display the highest level reached (latched) during my commute (or until I reset it). *After a run*, I can look at the latched peak value to see what the highest was recorded during the run.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
@ all readers

Sorry to keep harping on this, but it is important. This is a case in point. This is why logging is so important. If I had a choice between gauges or logging, I would pick logging hands-down.

This is a nice feature of my knock monitor. It will display the current knock level and also display the highest level reached (latched) during my commute (or until I reset it). *After a run*, I can look at the latched peak value to see what the highest was recorded during the run.
Untuned - Datalogs
Tuned - Gauges
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Safety Car

@ all readers

Since this ecu can/is setup to react to the knock and the light is there just to tell you immediately that you have a problem. So thinking about this I may find a place for it. If I can see it lit then I have major issues (bad gas, etc). So far, I have never seen it lit and I know I can induce knock by running in a gear that will easily go into that region but I don't want to just to test the light. One of those things that I need to do some logging to see what is really happening.

I also need to see how big these logs and if they aren't too big, I am just going to log continuously. Worse case I have to get a larger SSD drive for my mac.

So yeah, I am agreeing with you (if you didn't get that)

Last edited by KN_TL; 01-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
4 more days to send your payment in people
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
@ all readers

how have you ascertained you have your knock sensor set 'perfectly'? we could never get my buddies to work properly. his little warning light would stay lit as soon as you started it and we never got the thing to stop being tooo sensitive...just wondering since it's been bugging me for a long time now

but yep. log's, are wayyyyyyyyyyy more insightful. the refresh rate of the logger will always be faster then your display/eye...even if you're sitting shotgun and playing with tables.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

veggiemonster,

Good question

I go into detail on this topic in the Knock Monitor (click here) thread. Please see this link for full details. But, I will discuss below at a general level.

Monitoring knock is an Art, not a Science. It is not like other gauges that give you a cut-and-dry answer. A knock monitor should be tailored for each car.

The problem is isolating the background noise from true knock noise. Most monitors have a setting that allows you to set the level of acceptable background noise. Anything higher will be knock (theoretically). And, the background noise changes along the entire RPM range.

To establish a baseline of what is normal background noise, a person would set their ignition timing to a very low setting to assure that no knock is occurring. Do a full run and see what the knock monitor is reading. This is your baseline of background noise. Any readings higher will be knock.

For me, I forced my oem ecu to go into limp mode. In limp mode, the car has extremely low timing under wot. I made several runs and made a note of what the monitor was reading. This is my baseline.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inaccurate:
BostonSilverTypeS (01-27-2012), veggiemonster (01-30-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

If you look at the knocksense pages, they talk about their boxes being "Tuned"

Inacc, in your travels, do all engines knock with the same frequency, I would think not? Not sure how something can be tuned if the signature of the knock can vary from engine to engine based on the materials of the block, heads, etc.

Time to do more reading
Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

the signature of the knock can vary from engine to engine based on the materials of the block, heads, etc.
The frequency of the sound does very much change with engines. Primarily, it is the cylinder bore that has the biggest factor. But things like materials (iron vs alumuim) has a secondary effect. There has been extensive research in this area because oem manufactures rely so much on knock sensors.

I wish I had time to go in more details. But, I am short on time. Please check the knock thread that I linked right above. Hopefully, I had included some stuff already on this topic.

As a side note, my knock monitor has a setting that allowes you to pick the most approaiate frequency. There is a formula for this too. Sorry, I am short on time.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 01-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BostonSilverTypeS (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I have my LED hanging out of the center compartment! I haven't seen any knock but when I may be getting it I am too busy driving.

I didn't do the 3 cycle trick and just cranked on it. Does it idle ok after it's finally starts?
Ok yea I have not been doing the 3cycle either , but now I place ignition on wait a few and start it and this morning it took me roughly 3seconds to start and thruout the day it was the same but if I shut it down and start it back up it would fire back up no problems.

As for idling it is ok to a certain aspect. It is not like oem if that is what your asking....it starts up and the warm up phase it shoots to like 2100rpm and then slowly works back down to about 1500rpm stays there for couple of minutes and once engine is warm it goes down to regular level...but when it is at 1500rpm it sometimes twitches and jumps up and comes back down....also I did get misfires code today after sitting there idling for over 10minutes or so I believe P0172 and P0175 which was too rich on banks 1&2...I think someone had mentioned that you get these codes every once in a while and its no big deal but I am not sure I have yet to talk to Rodney so I am sure we will get some answers in regards to that!

@ all readers

Thanks and yeah i was thinking of getting something more sophisticated if and only if when that light is coming on the MS3 is not doing anything to fix this!! I am wondering does the oem ecu still have the capability to retard timing when knocking is happening....I'm surprised the KN_TL is not getting no knock I can get that light to stay fully lit when fully wot on 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear after I pass 3500prm going into 4k zone and beyond...

so I'll have to ask Rodney how sensitive this unit is that he installed and could it be picking up background noises!!???

for the mean time I am just cruising and am not heavy into the car until I get some answers!!

what about you Inaccurate since you are logging are you getting alot of knock and if you are at what rpms and range do you start seeing knock mostly at?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Payment sent
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM

^^^ Gabriel06TL PM me with your:
Full Name:
Mods done to the car:
Car year model base/type S/ etc:
What all did you pay for:

So I will update the spreadsheet....

WOOT 3 More days....

For some people who are doing a part payment, I am talking with Rodney to get some kind of stuff setup....so just bare with me.....
Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
^ you got it.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM

^^^ I updated the spreadsheet....waiting on Rodney to gimme a list of members who have paid and I will put the spreadsheet up
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Just spoke with swoosh and we have an updated spreadsheet which he will post in a little bit....

For the people who have already paid:
Will have your ECU's ready to go in 2 odd weeks. Expect them by 20th Feb

For the people who have showed interest and are wanting to do a part payment:
You can send a payment for $300 as a NON REFUNDABLE deposit to my paypal ID:
jandrperformance45@yahoo.com

The deposit has to be paid before Jan 31st 11:59PM EST. You will have 2 weeks until Feb 14th 11:59PM EST to pay the rest of the amount. To be fair to the people who have already paid, please include a 3% charge on the payments sent.

So for example if your order is for $1225. 3% is $36.75. If you already paid $300 as deposit before Jan 31st, please pay the remaining $961.75 as your final payment.

Thank you.

MODS: If you can please update the 1st post with this.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Here is the spreadsheet Rodney....glad we were on the same page

am gonna PM couple members now....

EDIT: People on the list, go through your order and mods and let me know if you see any inconsistency....
laosthaha (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Swoosh - Its Alex Hernandez. Mods- Fully Ported/Fully Bolt-on Supercharger with LWFW CM Stage 3 Clutch. Ordered- Everything. Price - Enough
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM

^^^ Sorry got your name wrong bro....I should have double checked on FB
Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by jandrnextlevelperformance

MODS: If you can please update the 1st post with this.
You got it.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I have to make a decision........and quick........
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
swoosh, under my name on the spreadsheet is says 'intake/pulley/full exhaust'.

i asked you weeks ago to change it to the correct modifications, which are 'intake/pulley/rv6 PCD's/rv6 jpipe/xlr8 quad exhaust"

if i'm misunderstanding something, i apologize. i just want to make sure i get the correct map. i am fully bolted with every add-on possible.

thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
^^ Full exhaust includes PCDs/Jpipe/catback. Check my sig "full catless exhaust."
swoosh (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM
BANNED

^gotcha. thanks.

i sort'of thought that was the case but wanted to make sure.

but under swoosh's name it says PCD/FULL EXHAUST...among other's. yanno what i mean?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I have to make a decision........and quick........
PM me when your ready bro

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
swoosh, under my name on the spreadsheet is says 'intake/pulley/full exhaust'.

i asked you weeks ago to change it to the correct modifications, which are 'intake/pulley/rv6 PCD's/rv6 jpipe/xlr8 quad exhaust"

if i'm misunderstanding something, i apologize. i just want to make sure i get the correct map. i am fully bolted with every add-on possible.

thanks.
Sonnick answered it for you....dont sweat it bro, it wont lead you anywhere hahaha....you will get the right map

Originally Posted by Sonnick
^^ Full exhaust includes PCDs/Jpipe/catback. Check my sig "full catless exhaust."
Thanks Sonnick....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
funny part is I hope it comes later in February.. too damn cold to work on the car now.. maybe the roll out of the product can occur by region? or by people willing to work on it first.. so we can get results out earlier? just a thought.. thinking outside the "box"
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FCVadi
funny part is I hope it comes later in February.. too damn cold to work on the car now.. maybe the roll out of the product can occur by region? or by people willing to work on it first.. so we can get results out earlier? just a thought.. thinking outside the "box"
That's a damn good idea. Or at least get an idea of who is leaving wet spots in their drawers vs those who are willing to wait pending results.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
I can get my package today and still wont be ready for another 2 months or so... I can be last on the list without any worries.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
BANNED

i like that idea too, FCVadi.

i'm not going to be the guinea pig tho...i'll just hold onto mine until i'm 100% sure it's safe to install the way i planned on it. besides, it''ll give me something to look forward to for spring.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I've asked swoosh if I could be the first.
lets see if he comes through
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

hahah.. so want to make sure I have no worries about installing the product.. even being the first
sh!# is going to work! We will make it work... but I know I can’t install it until late March.. expecting 10 to 20 feet of snow throughout February and early March

just be nice to get folks who can install it right away up and running so we can all learn and also wet our pants more (nice image KN)

also want to see the new question threads start so we can jump out of this one.. too many damn pages on this GB thread.. I want to open a VE Analyzer thread but waiting for a few folks to get this ECU installed.. so excited if the auto-tuning using VE Analyzer works as stated... auto-tune engine.. not auto-tune vocals! ..

sorry jumping off the walls with 4 cups of coffee and we getting closer to ECU lift off!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

That's funny FCVadi. I grew up about 50miles from Philly and rarely got snow. Over the past few years, you guys get slammed more than we do in Vermont on some occasions.

As far as it not working, it is always a possibility no matter how much testing Rodney does that something not go completely smoothly.

There are a lot of different things that you could induce while installing that could cause issues and if it were me, I would at the very least get an obdii based scanner where you can see and/or log at least A/F. Slapping on an ECU with fixed maps without really knowing what is going on is a scary proposition.
IntactACK (08-05-2013)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

well this winter has been looking OK so far.. but that just might mean we get all of it within a week.. I personally can live with that since I can work from home if needed

and I do agree that everything won’t be smooth.. the suggestions on scanners and logs are legit.. and that is my plan... to check for things but also cause I like learning stuff

but I do got faith in folks who have the ECU and the minds we have available on this site... maybe I am being optimistic.. but I spend enough pessimism at work that I should look at the bright side in other places... sadly the best part of my day is when I am driving to work and hammer down on the pedal.. and then when I get home to hang out with the family.. the 10-11 hrs in between are just grinds
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FCVadi
well this winter has been looking OK so far.. but that just might mean we get all of it within a week.. I personally can live with that since I can work from home if needed

and I do agree that everything won’t be smooth.. the suggestions on scanners and logs are legit.. and that is my plan... to check for things but also cause I like learning stuff

but I do got faith in folks who have the ECU and the minds we have available on this site... maybe I am being optimistic.. but I spend enough pessimism at work that I should look at the bright side in other places... sadly the best part of my day is when I am driving to work and hammer down on the pedal.. and then when I get home to hang out with the family.. the 10-11 hrs in between are just grinds
I totally agree, there are many people here to answer questions. But without the data available to even know if something isn't right, you can't ask the right questions to get a good answer.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Feel free to drive to ohio and ill fix you guys up. I'll be the midwest regional rep. lol
IntactACK (08-05-2013)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

without the data available to even know if something isn't right, you can't ask the right questions to get a good answer.
correctdumundo ! I am a data fiend.. really looking forward to seeing the #s once things get started

Quick Reply: Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)