Factory IM Spacer - 17108-RDJ-A00

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
Hahaha, some of the 3G guys really crack me up. It's funny how people just talk out of their ass in order to make themselves sound like they know everything... those beams are not for support... their designed to crumple the hood on impacts, hence the indentations. Ever seen a front end collision? Think about it. I will lay down a $20 bet that if people come back to this thread in 2-3 years and ask the original posters if their paint cracked, they will say no. Also don't let people fool you, that mat is not for heat to protect your paint, it's in case your engine goes on fire, the mat falls on top of your motor to prevent spreading the fire. Your paint will be fine people.
So if it weren't for crumple zones, we would be fine with just sheet metal, no bracing going by your logic. I've done this before with several other cars and without fail it's happened every time so watch who you say is talking out of their ass. The TL may end up being an exception but I doubt it.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
i hate cars - just let it go. i understand where your coming from where you see the cons outweigh the pros but you said your peace. lets other make the choice. you dont have to "fight" to people know your thoughts about this mod. if you disagree, you disagree. you said why and thats it. let others do what they please with their cars. just like someone argued with you on your transmission sensor thread. its their opinion and their choice to do this or not.

that being said i will still be cutting that small piece of metal from my hood and doing my transmission sensors soon.( unless i got the 6spd and all this will just have to wait).
Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
So if it weren't for crumple zones, we would be fine with just sheet metal, no bracing going by your logic. I've done this before with several other cars and without fail it's happened every time so watch who you say is talking out of their ass. The TL may end up being an exception but I doubt it.
eh, I'm not even going to bother arguing with someone who has all of these bad things to say about it, yet they have done it to 'several' cars.

All I can tell you, is that I've also messed with plenty of import hoods, including carbon fiber, and also the largest passenger vehicle hood other than SUVs, a Lexus SC, and I've never had issues with paint cracking.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Wow!

I dunno IHC, the numbers gained per dollar is worth it. Cutting and stuff isn't, but what is wrong with getting it milled?

You say the TL reacts poorly to little mods, but what is poor about 10 ft lbs gained for a $50 dollar mod?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
i hate cars - just let it go. i understand where your coming from where you see the cons outweigh the pros but you said your peace. lets other make the choice. you dont have to "fight" to people know your thoughts about this mod. if you disagree, you disagree. you said why and thats it. let others do what they please with their cars. just like someone argued with you on your transmission sensor thread. its their opinion and their choice to do this or not.

that being said i will still be cutting that small piece of metal from my hood and doing my transmission sensors soon.( unless i got the 6spd and all this will just have to wait).
I was done talking about this mod a long time ago. The rest is defending myself because people seem to be extra sensitive to anything negative about this mod.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Wow!

I dunno IHC, the numbers gained per dollar is worth it. Cutting and stuff isn't, but what is wrong with getting it milled?

You say the TL reacts poorly to little mods, but what is poor about 10 ft lbs gained for a $50 dollar mod?
Nothing at all wrong with getting it milled. The price per dollar is not what I was making an argument about.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

eh, I'm not even going to bother arguing with someone who has all of these bad things to say about it, yet they have done it to 'several' cars.

All I can tell you, is that I've also messed with plenty of import hoods, including carbon fiber, and also the largest passenger vehicle hood other than SUVs, a Lexus SC, and I've never had issues with paint cracking.
I'm glad it hasn't happened to you. It's happened to my own personal car and took a couple years to show up. The hood was literally bowed in the middle. Same with some others I did on various brands. Mine was for a nearly 100hp gain and I was 18 at the time. I wouldn't do it today. You were dead wrong saying the spine is not there for support. The point I was trying to make is the TL is too nice to cut but I really don't care what anyone else does. Again, I've spent the last 10 posts defending my position to an overly sensitive crowd not trying to persuade anyone to not cut.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with hate cars. I did all that on my jeep with the hood thing but then again, I really didn't care if it was dented dirty or on fire. I t was a beater. I also think it's funny to see people going around their elbow to get to their ass with these small mods on an engine when there aren't even any headers. This is never going to be a race car. You can make it faster but in the end yo may as well get a different car for this kind of stuff.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quit being a girl and get over it. Whether you like it or not, cutting your hood for <10lbs of torque is dumb. Why sugar coat it.
More trolling. And yes, I am now trolling. And yes, I will continue to call you out.

Hahaha, some of the 3G guys really crack me up. It's funny how people just talk out of their ass in order to make themselves sound like they know everything... those beams are not for support... their designed to crumple the hood on impacts, hence the indentations. Ever seen a front end collision? Think about it. I will lay down a $20 bet that if people come back to this thread in 2-3 years and ask the original posters if their paint cracked, they will say no. Also don't let people fool you, that mat is not for heat to protect your paint, it's in case your engine goes on fire, the mat falls on top of your motor to prevent spreading the fire. Your paint will be fine people.
QFT

I was done talking about this mod a long time ago. The rest is defending myself because people seem to be extra sensitive to anything negative about this mod.
Then why not stfu and gtfo

Originally Posted by Bender
I agree with hate cars. I did all that on my jeep with the hood thing but then again, I really didn't care if it was dented dirty or on fire. I t was a beater. I also think it's funny to see people going around their elbow to get to their ass with these small mods on an engine when there aren't even any headers. This is never going to be a race car. You can make it faster but in the end yo may as well get a different car for this kind of stuff.
If thats the case, why not do nothing at all to the TL? Let's all just keep our car's stock and go buy STi's and keep those stock as well. This adds more TQ than any other mod available other than forced induction. On top of that it's 60 dollars max.

Last edited by ludachrisvt; 07-06-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
More trolling. And yes, I am now trolling. And yes, I will continue to call you out.

QFT

Then why not stfu and gtfo

If thats the case, why not do nothing at all to the TL? Let's all just keep our car's stock and go buy STi's and keep those stock as well. This adds more TQ than any other mod available other than forced induction. On top of that it's 60 dollars max.
Call me out??? Over the internet?? That takes guts when you're on the other side of the country. Enjoy it from the safety of your keyboard, little girl.

You have not one fact to dispute anything I have said, only your opinions which aren't that impressive. So go ahead and make a smart ass reply and take comfort in the fact that you're across the country and you're able to run your mouth without getting it shut for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Call me out??? Over the internet?? That takes guts when you're on the other side of the country. Enjoy it from the safety of your keyboard, little girl.

You have not one fact to dispute anything I have said, only your opinions which aren't that impressive. So go ahead and make a smart ass reply and take comfort in the fact that you're across the country and you're able to run your mouth without getting it shut for you.
:ban:
Old 07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Thread has gone to shit!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

gerzand... hows hard you think it would be to keep the engine cover?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
IHC: No e-thuggin on AZ. Consider this a warning. To others, let's keep it civil or bans are going to be handed out.

Last edited by ggesq; 07-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ggesq
IHC: No e-thuggin on AZ. Consider this a warning. To others, let's keep it civil or bans are going to be handed out.
Who's the one acting like a badass and e-thuggin? I consider someone saying STFU e-thuggin. My point is it's the ones who wouldn't dare say things like this in person that use the internet to "call me out" in his words. That's e-thuggin.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
gerzand... hows hard you think it would be to keep the engine cover?
I think it would fit fine over the upper IM cover. There are 2 little grommets there that help it stay on, but as far as the 3 lower clips, I think theyd need to be extended or epoxied or something. ACU-RATE did this. Perhaps he's be able to help.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Wants an M3 in

I'll be popping my hood btw. If it gets on my nerves or I think it's too much, then I'll just undo this.

Last edited by ludachrisvt; 07-06-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Who's the one acting like a badass and e-thuggin? I consider someone saying STFU e-thuggin. My point is it's the ones who wouldn't dare say things like this in person that use the internet to "call me out" in his words. That's e-thuggin.
See you in a week.

Anyone else?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Wants an M3 in

Edit: Nope
Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by ggesq
See you in a week.

Anyone else?

i tried to PM him and tell him to quit but his box was full....
Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by gerzand
I think it would fit fine over the upper IM cover. There are 2 little grommets there that help it stay on, but as far as the 3 lower clips, I think theyd need to be extended or epoxied or something. ACU-RATE did this. Perhaps he's be able to help.

he did with the type S. dont know if it makes a difference. can you take a pic of the space between the clips and the spot where they belong. will the hood hit it especially where the cut is?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Modding my TL in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerzand
Hey, I was just working on this very project in the garage when I came to take a break.

I'm using 1/8" thin by 3/4" wide aluminum (purchased from Menards). I was fixing a custom bracket that would be used to modify/elevate where the front of the engine grommets are.

Thing is, I'm waiting to get my spacer and then I can mock it up and then perfect it.

Like minds think alike.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

have you found one? are you gonna wait till september.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Modding my TL in

have you found one? are you gonna wait till september.
Yup, found one - from CleanCL. I believe it has been shipped. So, between that shipment, and the gaskets/bolts from Delray Acura, I'll do it immediately after I get all the parts!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

nice. update as soon as its in. im still waiting for the 7 bolts from Acura. have everything else. waiting to get a 6spd so all this is going to have to wait until that. AT FTL!!! LMAO

As for the engine cover, you think the clips are gonna grab on with your modifications?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Modding my TL in

nice. update as soon as its in. im still waiting for the 7 bolts from Acura. have everything else. waiting to get a 6spd so all this is going to have to wait until that. AT FTL!!! LMAO

As for the engine cover, you think the clips are gonna grab on with your modifications?
I plan on relocating the horizontal bar (i.e. raise it up by means of aluminum strips on each side). It shouldn't be too hard.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Modding my TL in

Okay, I did some playing around in regards to the hood insulator.

I wanted to try a couple of things (see below) but mainly sized it up if I got some foil type stuff to put on it and remove the rear (facing the bottom of the hood) material.

In all the cars I have ever owned (outside of a 99 TL and 99 GTP), I had never dealt with a hood insulator before. Heck, just to check up (to see if I forgot), I looked up on acuraoemparts.com an RSX, and two Integras (GS-R and Type-R) and neither of them had this.

Sure, many of you can search web sites, etc. to find out what it is really for, but in my opinion it is purely for sound dampening (i.e. TL Luxury Car).

The reason I say this is I sacrificed my insulator (it was beat up a little bit over the years).

I took apart my insulator. Basically, I cut a large rear section of the combination of fibers that were compressed that fit one of the indentation shapes.

This would make great sound dampening, but is it a fire retardent? Ah hah - no, it is not! How do I know? I ripped a handful off, stepped outside of my garage and got my butane lighter and lit it up. It caught fire just about as good as dry timber.

I then ripped a piece of the extremely thin gray (what faces the engine) side cloth and attempted to light it up on fire. Nope, it smoldered out and smoked. I tried and tried again and no go. Actually, what really happened was the flame burned a hole in it, but the general material didn't catch on fire.

So the theory of sound dampening is good. It could possibly absorb the heat also which is good. However, since the insulator has been off my hood for a few days now, the outside of the hood cools down quicker than when I had the insulator on it!

Sacrificed to say - the insulator is purely for sound dampening in my tests as no way will it reduce or put out a fire! And in regards to the paint peeling on the outside of the hood or what have you - doubtfully it probably will not. Why do/did so many Acura cars in the line up NOT have an insulator - it's purely for noise control. Bored? Surf the net and look at all various types of cars. It's not until you hit the luxury line of a manufacturer until an insulator is used.

My $1 contributed.

Last edited by xcelir8TL; 07-06-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

LMAO

thanks for the $1 contribution. dynomat now?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Ok guys; I finally install this! It works great! The install was easy; especially after helping Ronjon757 install his. I took advantage while the manifold was off. I sprayed the insides with Deep Creek; just had to make sure I blew it out during the test drive.

I took off the Outlaw spacer and got pissed, because I ordered two stock gaskets and my old one was under the old spacer. F*ck! Oh well; I got an extra.

Got the spacer on with no issues. Everything hooked up just fine with enough slack. My hood even closed with the insulator on. It made an indention of the intake in the insulator. So I took it off anyway. No washers, no latch adjustment, or anything.

When I crank the engine, the check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and checked all the connections. Cranked the engine again, it's all good!

Took the car down the road and notice alittle more low end power. Did not really notice the difference until I got on the highway. Got up to the triple digits much faster than before! Also got my 6th gear passing power back as well!

I've driven my car a few times after the install today; each time it got better and better! I'm even spinning tires in third; never done that before! If you have not done this mod, this is a must! This is up there with the j-pipe and procats!

I took a few pictures as well. No gaps here!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I will add a data point regarding the hood insulator.

As a part of my TL Diet, I have had the insulator removed for 2-1/2 years and 30,000 miles. I live in hot Houston... plenty of 100 degree summer days. The paint on my hood is mint.

To decide if it was safe (imo) to remove the insulator, I had felt the hood upon arriving home for several days. Judging how many seconds that I could keep my hand on the hood. I then removed the insulator and conducted the same test. Imo, I could keep my hand on the hood for the same amount of time with the insulator removed as I could with it on.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Hmmm. I said I was done with anything that would improve performance but I might have to give this a shot.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I will add a data point regarding the hood insulator.

As a part of my TL Diet, I have had the insulator removed for 2-1/2 years and 30,000 miles. I live in hot Houston... plenty of 100 degree summer days. The paint on my hood is mint.

To decide if it was safe (imo) to remove the insulator, I had felt the hood upon arriving home for several days. Judging how many seconds that I could keep my hand on the hood. I then removed the insulator and conducted the same test. Imo, I could keep my hand on the hood for the same amount of time with the insulator removed as I could with it on.
A very scientific test. I kid.

Thanks for that. I really do think it is only for fires though. This is why I want to keep it.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
It's for sound dampening...I can't see any other reason for it.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I never said the material doesn't burn, it's just used to slow down the spread of a fire in the engine bay... the mat in high heat of a fire will fall off the hood and cover the whole motor.

It's like putting a towel over a fire... of course a towel can be burned, but when you drop a towel on top of the fire and suffocate it of air, it cannot burn as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

From a Ford owner, but this is the concept that applies...

"It is not to remove heat at all. Though it may reduce the chances (Very slightly) of hood discoloration, it was not intended for that reason either. Let me bring you back to 4 years ago. I was racing at Bristol in a friends Cobra when... BAM!!! N2O backfire at about half track. The engine bay ignited and the hood was flaming. By the time that the car was pulled off the track the fire was out. I thought that the motor was shot, but believe it or not it was as good as new (once we replaced all of the components that the throttle bottle blew up). The only thing that was destroyed by the fire was the hood insulator. When the fire ignited the plastic push pins melted and the insulator fell onto the engine smothering the fire. I thought that this was just the good Lord looking over me, but after doing research and asking some very high ups at SVT, Ford, and Team Mustang I found out that the insulator was designed for just that reason. Saved my friend's motor and possibly my life. Just keep that in mind."
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Modding my TL in

I appreciate the theories but the insulator "cannot fall" to put out a fire as even if the plastic push pins were not there (i.e. melted), the insulator is wedged into the sheet metal on most sides therefore keeping it rigid with the hood.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
It is as others have said a sound insulator for improved NVH
Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Wants an M3 in

The point is, it doesnt keep the roof from fading. Good paint care does.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
guess that put what I thought it was for to rest

I took mine off one day just cuz I looked under my hood to try and fathom how the acura r&d guys did the vent on the top right above the intake mani.... then I saw they cut along the skeleton and stuff... then I was going to put it back on but when I saw the backside was like that insulation stuff peeps put in the attic I tossed it in the trash....

Well glad most of you guys are putting this mod to work...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Wants an M3 in

mine came today

Quick Reply: Factory IM Spacer - 17108-RDJ-A00