QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelTL05
I think I saw the Peripheral product at Best Buy... 2 questions.

1. The box said it would work on Acura models with non-nav systems. This seems not to be the case based on this thread. I have an 05 TL with Nav that I'd like to get this installed on... will it work?

2. Is Best Buy a good place to go to get the product and get it installed (all in one shot)? Thoughts?
1. It works on my 04 TL with navigation. Artists/genres/track names were displayed on nav screen (until I run into that IPOD mode issue, but that is another story...). Factory XM radio also works just fine, including text. 05 TL has the same navi so I guess it should work.
2. I got mine at Best Buy and I am happy with that as if you need replacement for any reason - it is fast and easy. As well as if you need to return it. As of BB installation - I cannot comment as I installed mine myself.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by avlcat
Installed the unit in 2004 TL with NAVI and love it!

One problem, though. It worked fine when I had around 10,000 tracks loaded into my 160Gb iPod Classic. However recently I loaded my full music collection (20,000+ tracks) and the unit does not work anymore in the IPOD mode. It cycles between IPOD CONNECTED and IPOD NOT CONNECTED messages every 1 second and never stays in IPOD CONNECTED. It still works fine when in AUX1 mode (the one you use to control iPOD directly).

The firmware is .25 (the latest). I tried to replace the unit thinking it may be defective (got it from Best Buy so replacement is easy), however it did not help - the problem is still there. I also reformatted my iPod completely and loaded the music again - did not help, still does not work in IPOD mode.

Anybody with same problem?
Trydisconnecting it from the vehicle and performing a soft boot to your iPod. Simply hold the "Menu" and "center click" button at the same time till the iPod shuts off an reboots (apple logo will apear durring the boot up sequence) reconnect it and see if that cures your issue.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peripheral
Trydisconnecting it from the vehicle and performing a soft boot to your iPod. Simply hold the "Menu" and "center click" button at the same time till the iPod shuts off an reboots (apple logo will apear durring the boot up sequence) reconnect it and see if that cures your issue.
Sure, this is one of suggestions I got from Peripheral support (and this absolutely makes sense). I did that already; unfortunately that did not cure the issue.

I am going to make more tests soon. Basically I will reformat iPod again; then upload the music on it incrementally (say, upload 10,000 songs, verify it works, then upload another 1000 songs and verify how it works etc. until I see the issue again). Not sure it will help anybody, though .

BTW - it is nice to see Peripheral people here, caring for us. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Peripheral,

I need some help regarding my PXAMG. I've been on this thread for a few months now, and I've had mine installed for a little over a month on my '05 navi w/XM.

Much of the time I am driving around town and don't have the ipod hooked up and want to listen to XM. Sometimes when I start the car I get nothing from the headunit - no radio, no XM, no ipod, etc. Sometimes is will give me only an AM channel and it will be about 10 minutes or so and then I can hit mode and it will cycle through the choices (FM, XM, etc.) This seems to happen most often when I start the car after it has been driven and sitting in a parking lot for a brief period of time. It hardly ever happens when I start the car cold, when it's been sitting overnight, for example. Usually the nav screen works just fine but it freezes all radio functions, and it won't even let me turn the power off. Very strange and even more so that it doesn't do it regulary but infrequently.

Any ideas? My product shipped with firmware .25 so I should be up to date.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
Peripheral,

I need some help regarding my PXAMG. I've been on this thread for a few months now, and I've had mine installed for a little over a month on my '05 navi w/XM.

Much of the time I am driving around town and don't have the ipod hooked up and want to listen to XM. Sometimes when I start the car I get nothing from the headunit - no radio, no XM, no ipod, etc. Sometimes is will give me only an AM channel and it will be about 10 minutes or so and then I can hit mode and it will cycle through the choices (FM, XM, etc.) This seems to happen most often when I start the car after it has been driven and sitting in a parking lot for a brief period of time. It hardly ever happens when I start the car cold, when it's been sitting overnight, for example. Usually the nav screen works just fine but it freezes all radio functions, and it won't even let me turn the power off. Very strange and even more so that it doesn't do it regulary but infrequently.

Any ideas? My product shipped with firmware .25 so I should be up to date.

Thanks.
I had this problem once so far. I dismissed it to needed to restart the unit as it went away next time I got in the car.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

I previously updated the firmware on my peripheral unit in preparation for install on a 2005 NAVI/AT.

I installed the unit this past weekend. The install took me 3 hours (this was the first time I tried to deconstruct my TL's dashboard.)

YES, it shows text and allows some scrolling...but it is nothing like scrolling through an ipod's music list. In fact, I cannot understand how it scrolls at all? It will go from A to U to M to B...and it seems completely nonsensical in how it does this. It also seems to fixate on certain songs and musicians and sometimes the controls don't seem to work at all--I have to switch back and forth with AM/FM and XM to reset the interface. How to control the unit is next to impossible to understand and is not intuitive at all. Currently, it is ONLY good for random play of iPod songs.

The sound is pretty good.

I also could not get the HD radio to connect or be recognized AT ALL. But, I was able to split the antenna so I could theoretically keep HD radio and regular radio (if the HD radio would have been recognized.) Despite naysayers' comments, this did not appear to affect my main antenna's performance. I am first assuming that my HD radio unit is dead so I will have to mail it to peripheral to get it checked out. It is also possible that my main peripheral unit is malfunctioning, but I'm going to focus on the HD radio first.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
[sometimes....]it will be about 10 minutes or so and then I can hit mode and it will cycle through the choices (FM, XM, etc.)
I noticed this, too, but on a cold start. Just in general, the peripheral controls are a bit wonky and it makes me nervous to switch between its use and anything else. The delays are extremely disconcerting.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM
PXAMG GuRu

XEN-CUTS - Not sure why you are having so many issues with this module when others are not.

Browsing through tracks..... Once in iPod press preset number 6 (6 is thought of to be just like the center click button on the ipod). PL:LIST should be shown.... then turn the tune knob and it will advance to show; ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK, GENRE, and COMPOSER. Turn the tune knob till you see AR:ARTIST and press 6 this will select that you want to browse by artist select and artist and then an album then a track and you should be cookin with gas.

If your still having issue i would like to see a video of this happening so i can better help you
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

XEN-CUTS - Not sure why you are having so many issues with this module when others are not.

Browsing through tracks..... Once in iPod press preset number 6 (6 is thought of to be just like the center click button on the ipod). PL:LIST should be shown.... then turn the tune knob and it will advance to show; ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK, GENRE, and COMPOSER. Turn the tune knob till you see AR:ARTIST and press 6 this will select that you want to browse by artist select and artist and then an album then a track and you should be cookin with gas.

If your still having issue i would like to see a video of this happening so i can better help you
Okay, thanks peripheral guy! I'll check it out later on this week or next...am super busy with job stuff for now so I don't have time to play anymore.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Browsing works just fine as you illustrate here. My question is this - is it possible to navigate backwards a step at a time to change albums by the same artist instead of having to go back to the beginning of the artist list to "A"? For example, if I'm listening to U2's War album, then I want to change to Joshua Tree, I would press menu on the ipod repeatedly to go back one step at a time as far as needed to change albums within that artist's album collection. So far using the PXAMG, I have to go back to scroll by Artist and all the way back and start at "A" everytime. Is there a shortcut to use to avoid re-scrolling through all the artists to get back to where you just were??

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Preset number 5 if pushed should move on step back in the menu.

You will have to forgive me as i have been at the Hyndai dealership for the last two weeks developing Hyundai.

Also if that doesnt work im pretty sure that the Seek buttons will have the same effect. I am at home right now but will fire a radio up on the bench to figure this out for you tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

sorry for my previous complaining. The device isn't perfect but it does work pretty well. I finally got some time to play with it this afternoon (I couldn't wait after seeing the posts from peripheral).

I'm mostly happy with the device. It is a little wonky in its interface, owing to your having to toggle around the xm's. I don't understand why there are 2 AUX options when there is only one other place to plug something in?

I also noticed that you have to scroll from A again and you can't go backwards around to to Z. I wish there was more of a graphical interface with the touchscreen. But all in all, the thing works and the sound is VERY good.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Preset number 5 if pushed should move on step back in the menu.

You will have to forgive me as i have been at the Hyndai dealership for the last two weeks developing Hyundai.

Also if that doesnt work im pretty sure that the Seek buttons will have the same effect. I am at home right now but will fire a radio up on the bench to figure this out for you tomorrow.
OK i set a Honda Ridgeline (same UI and same button presses) radio up on the bench and did a little testing.

As far as you guys wanting to go back one step at a time.... you can do that but.... you must have browsed prior to it.

Confusing... yeah i know but ill try to explain myself.

If you start your car and decide you dont want to listen to the song playing. you will have to browse from "A"

But if you have already browsed from "A" after starting the car and selected artist "Stone Temple Pilots" you can hit preset number 5 to go back one step.

The PXAMG forgets or erases the previous browse sequence once you shut the vehicle off and the interface goes to sleep. Once its woke up the ipod tells it what artist, album, and track is playing but unfortunately it does not remember the reverse browse sequence. This should be able to be corrected in code. ill talk to the engineer and find out.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 AM
PXAMG GuRu

OK,

Lets say i had a TL with navigation. How would i know if i had NAV Traffic? Any special buttons on the screen?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM
3GTLS

OK,

Lets say i had a TL with navigation. How would i know if i had NAV Traffic? Any special buttons on the screen?
There are not special buttons. The only thing that you'll see is that all the freeways on the Nav unit will get updated with the traffic conditions.

What you'll see are two lines (green, amber, or red) on each side of the the freeway on the map. When you start the car, it will take some time to download the traffic info, so on first start, the nav map will look normal.

After a few seconds/minutes, all freeways in the area should get the lines on both sides.

Let me know if my description is unclear and I'll try to get a pic posted.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Peripheral -

I've got my PXAMG on order as of this afternoon...I was cruisin through your website and noticed the RGB2+...Does this mean that I can add a video source (DVD, etc) to the car? I have an '05 TL Navi...The website didn't really elaborate, so I was just checking. I could think of a few cool ideas if this were the case...(an easier backup camera for instance)

Thanks in Advance
/ threadjack
Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by FlyinLowTL
Hey Peripheral -

I've got my PXAMG on order as of this afternoon...I was cruisin through your website and noticed the RGB2+...Does this mean that I can add a video source (DVD, etc) to the car? I have an '05 TL Navi...The website didn't really elaborate, so I was just checking. I could think of a few cool ideas if this were the case...(an easier backup camera for instance)

Thanks in Advance
/ threadjack
The RGB2+ adds two video inputs only. Not audio. both have a triggered input. So a swtich or reverse lead from the vehicle would be needed to opperate.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:19 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by voidtrance
There are not special buttons. The only thing that you'll see is that all the freeways on the Nav unit will get updated with the traffic conditions.

What you'll see are two lines (green, amber, or red) on each side of the the freeway on the map. When you start the car, it will take some time to download the traffic info, so on first start, the nav map will look normal.

After a few seconds/minutes, all freeways in the area should get the lines on both sides.

Let me know if my description is unclear and I'll try to get a pic posted.
what about if the NAV Traffic is not activated will i still see the colored lines? im curious if the NAV Traffic is not activated does it still put the vehicle into crawl mode when our module is installed?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK,

what year is the tl and is it a type s all 07 -08 have the NAV Traffic stock
Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by acura911
Its a 2008 Type-S.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by acura911
They have the ability to receive traffic updates but they only have it activated for the first 3 months after you buy. After the trial is over, the Nav display looks like any othe TL.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
3GTLS

what about if the NAV Traffic is not activated will i still see the colored lines? im curious if the NAV Traffic is not activated does it still put the vehicle into crawl mode when our module is installed?
If the NAV Traffic in not activated, there are no lines.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a 2008 Type-S.
ok cool then that car has it stock and where did you get the car from?you get 3 months for free when the car is new.you have to go into the more icon menu and turn it on from there;and then you will see the lines on the nav plus the updates.you can call xm and have them turn it on for a month for 3.99 a month.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I noticed this, too, but on a cold start. Just in general, the peripheral controls are a bit wonky and it makes me nervous to switch between its use and anything else. The delays are extremely disconcerting.
I have this problem too, it happens everytime I start the car. Even when I was listening to XM before I switched off the car a few hours ago. THe lag time seems to be the the boot time of the unit. No matter what button I press, it will ignore my input. Usually it needs 3-5 mins for me to take control of my radio again.

Installed for 5 days, latest firmware

WHen it works, Quality is great tho, gotta give you that!!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by waynema
I have this problem too, it happens everytime I start the car. Even when I was listening to XM before I switched off the car a few hours ago. THe lag time seems to be the the boot time of the unit. No matter what button I press, it will ignore my input. Usually it needs 3-5 mins for me to take control of my radio again.

What year and radio are in the cars that are having these issues? maybe i can get ahold of one of these and see if we can get this cured.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Instructor

What year and radio are in the cars that are having these issues? maybe i can get ahold of one of these and see if we can get this cured.
2006 TL w/ Nav
Old 05-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I live in Miami and have an 06 TL and was thinking about getting this unit. Anyone in Miami that can work on my car?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waynema

I think all you guys are having this lag problem probably because the Peripheral unit is causing collisions on the GA_NET II bus with the XM reciever. You can try to unplug the XM to see if helps.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:33 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by borgit
I think all you guys are having this lag problem probably because the Peripheral unit is causing collisions on the GA_NET II bus with the XM reciever. You can try to unplug the XM to see if helps.
Well that is a possibility but since we dont actually communicat with the SAT tuner it kinda makes me wonder.

Basically when in ipod, aux or hd radio we block certian messages from the xm tuner and send our messages instead. when in XM mode we simply send all messages from the sat tuner as if we werent even there.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:35 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I live in Miami and have an 06 TL and was thinking about getting this unit. Anyone in Miami that can work on my car?
Either "5 Star Car Audio" Ask for Dee tell him Tony from Peripheral sent you. or "Senor Stereo" both shops have a great reputation.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

I have a 2005 at with navi. I also use fm radio. This weekend I was driving around and again had the freeze problem. I ejected and reloaded a cd. That seemed to cure the problem.

If this peripheral device didn't have the freezes it would be absolutely a perfect product. As is I am a little scared to switch inputs because of a potential freeze.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Well that is a possibility but since we dont actually communicat with the SAT tuner it kinda makes me wonder.

Basically when in ipod, aux or hd radio we block certian messages from the xm tuner and send our messages instead. when in XM mode we simply send all messages from the sat tuner as if we werent even there.

How do you block the messages from the XM tuner? It seems like both the Peripheral and the XM tuner are fighting each other for control of the bus, thereby causing the lag.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by borgit
How do you block the messages from the XM tuner? It seems like both the Peripheral and the XM tuner are fighting each other for control of the bus, thereby causing the lag.
We take the data lines and run them into our module then out of our module to the radio. VIA code, can tranceivers and op amps we filter the data so we are able to make the radio see what we want it to see. This allows us to use the presets for browsing options and such. this also allows us to use an audio switching chip to pipe our own audio in. They dont seem to be fighting. If that was the case the module would more than likely fail completely.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Instructor

after 2 weeks of use, I learnt that the only way to get thru the lag a little quicker is to press audio button, it will display nothing for a few secs, then hold on to the FM/AM radio button until you hear sound from your FM channel. THen you can switch to XM or ipod/aux modes. This lag causes complete shut down of all my radio equipment, both FM/AM and XM. It usually lasts 20-30 secs after I start the engine.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

I experience the lag/freeze problem every once in a while as well ('06 TL w/Navi). I also sometimes experience a problem where the text display consistently shows the artist name as "IPOD" instead of the actual artist name.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Instructor

turns out this lag problem also blocks me from playing cds, and dvd-a. So it shuts down the audio system entirely for 2-3 mins after I start my car. I have to press OK from my Nav warning screen, and press "audio" and let it sit for a good few minutes before I can hear a word.

Zee, after you skip to the 2nd song, the IPOD will change back to the song name, assuming that you are in IPOD mode.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

When experience the text problem, the correct track title displays, but the artist name stays stuck on IPOD.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM
5th Gear

I'm interested in getting the Pheripheral system, but these lags and text issues have me pausing to see if a solution can be found. I really like the idea of an integrated iPod solution with text on the screen and the use of my normal radio controls.

Is this the best solution out there and are the lags serious enough to detract from it?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZeeJM
I experience the lag/freeze problem every once in a while as well ('06 TL w/Navi). I also sometimes experience a problem where the text display consistently shows the artist name as "IPOD" instead of the actual artist name.
Count me as another who has the weird freezing problems every once in a while. The unit is great, but something weird is definitely going on. I've had the unit for maybe a month or so, and have only seen it happen 3-4 times. I did fix it once by turning the car off and on again (at a stop light). '06 w/ Navi.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

I also have the unit for about a month (04 non-nav) and think its more trouble than its worth. It freezes all the time and sometimes I cant even turn the radio off.

Peripheral support has been nonexistent.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4