QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
3.2 VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why in the world is this thread so huge?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MichaelTL05
I'm interested in getting the Pheripheral system, but these lags and text issues have me pausing to see if a solution can be found. I really like the idea of an integrated iPod solution with text on the screen and the use of my normal radio controls.

Is this the best solution out there and are the lags serious enough to detract from it?
I have neck pain from researching this on my laptop for the last 3 weeks. Basically 3 options:

1. Dice
2. USA-Spec
3. Peripheral

If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that we basically came to the conclusion that this one works best if you have NAV and want full IPOD interface. (full controls through NAV and steering wheel controls).

We'll have to wait and see how Peripheral responds to the freeze issues.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peripheral
The RGB2+ adds two video inputs only. Not audio. both have a triggered input. So a swtich or reverse lead from the vehicle would be needed to opperate.
So do you guys have any solution to play video (with sound) from ipod on NAV screen? That was my impression of what RGB2+ does also.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TulsaTL6
I have neck pain from researching this on my laptop for the last 3 weeks. Basically 3 options:

1. Dice
2. USA-Spec
3. Peripheral

If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that we basically came to the conclusion that this one works best if you have NAV and want full IPOD interface. (full controls through NAV and steering wheel controls).

Speaking of Peripheral... our forum has had a rep from Peripheral who was very helpful and looking into problems and getting solutions. Peripheral, you there? Any insight on the lag/delay problem? I'd like to get the product and install it, but I'd prefer to wait until it's right.

Also... are others having this delay issue, or is it pretty uncommon?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Cruisin'

Speaking of Peripheral... our forum has had a rep from Peripheral who was very helpful and looking into problems and getting solutions. Peripheral, you there? Any insight on the lag/delay problem? I'd like to get the product and install it, but I'd prefer to wait until it's right.

You will see the occasional issue. I had this and a Sirius module installed, so both the plugs into my XM tuner are disconnected I saw the occasional freeze but the unit has worked well enough to say that I would certainly do it again.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Never had the lag/delay issue with my unit; works good for more than month already.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Had the delay problem maybe twice. Most of the time the thing works great! I definitely recommend it. If anything, there may be a software upgrade in the future to address the occasional freeze issue, in which case you can just hook the unit up to a laptop and update it.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Delay problem affects me 85% of the time, usually for about 2 mins before i can input any command, it just takes over your entire audio unit. you wont even be able to switch it off. (volume works, and it doesnt interfere with NAV tho thank god )
Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this lag with the Peripherial unit only for people with Nav Screens/GPS?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KzooTL
Mine is 2004 TL 5AT with NAV and I do not have the lag.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Freeze/Lag" observation/work-around

If I'm parked with my TL's electrical system on and my audio system on and then start the engine without first turning off the electrical system, (IE - from key position II to key position III) I will most likely experience the freeze/lag problem.

However, If I turn off the electrical system, count to 3, and then turn the key fully to the start position (IE - from Key position I to key position III), my engine starts and the Peripheral unit does not freeze.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I think perhaps the problem is related to either a change in the voltage supplied to the unit when the electrical system is on and the starter is engaged, or in the way the Peripheral unit and the audio head unit communicate with each other when the power drops for the second or two it takes to start the engine.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:46 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do we know if there has been any advances on the Peripheral PXAMG to work on a 2007 TL Type S w/Navi???????
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Pro

i guess Peripheral not coming back to let us know what's going on with the 2007/2008 tl with the bad lag and what not.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acura911
i guess Peripheral not coming back to let us know what's going on with the 2007/2008 tl with the bad lag and what not.
Does the 2007/2008 only get affected when navtraffic is hooked up or do all 07/08 models lag?

I want a solution and am close to pulling the trigger on the DICE or PIE. I don't care at all about xm or navtraffic as I'm not using either.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

After reading this entire thread....20 min. of my life I will never get back...the PIE creates lag problems with the Nav on 2007+. The DICE seems to work fine....but of course NO XM and NO AcuraLink.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thrlride
Does the 2007/2008 only get affected when navtraffic is hooked up or do all 07/08 models lag?

I want a solution and am close to pulling the trigger on the DICE or PIE. I don't care at all about xm or navtraffic as I'm not using either.
The 07/08 is only affected when Navtraffic is hooked up. It's because there is a separate plug for Nav Traffic that goes into the back of the radio, making its signals conflict with the Peripheral device. With non nav-traffic systems (even those with nav) all information is routed through the Peripheral before it goes into the radio.

I have a 2005 TL 6MT with Nav, and I spend about 4 hours/day in my car (outside sales). I've been using the device for over 2 weeks with zero issues. I love it!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KzooTL
Again, I have a 2005 6MT Nav and have zero issues. If you don't have nav traffic, BUY IT!!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

Again, I have a 2005 6MT Nav and have zero issues. If you don't have nav traffic, BUY IT!!
I'm tempted now...I have an 06 with Nav, and the Peripheral sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. But the issues here has me a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chase265
I'm tempted now...I have an 06 with Nav, and the Peripheral sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. But the issues here has me a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.
I would recommend buying Peripheral unit from Best Buy (it is called iSimple here) and try it out. If you don't like it then - simply return it.

I love mine, by the way!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
Yup. Installed this past saturday and it works like a charm. Complete control of the iPod from either the steering wheel (channel up/down), the radio, or the iPod. Full text display on the radio, artist, song name, and so on. It charges the iPod as well. I had the installer run the cable into the center console, same area as the aux jack.

You can search by genre, artist, album, playlist, song, etc. Once you hit the sat/aux button, you use the tune wheel on the radio to select either the iPod, Sat, aux1, aux2.

Which adapter did you go with?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
3GTLS

They updated the website to say that "2007-2008 Acura TL / TL Type-S equipped with nav traffic are not compatible."

I guess we are out of luck!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:56 AM
4th Gear

I bought the iSimple from best buy and installed it today.....played around with it most of the day and am having an issue I cant seem to fix....

The iPod plays and shows the info on the screen no problem - SOME OF THE TIME - other times I change songs and the artist/title dont change yet the next song comes on.....I found I can simply press the xm button and flop between XM-1 and XM2 and the screen says 'loading' next to the artist/title area and the information refreshes.....

My question is what gives? I tried resetting the unit by unplugging it - I loaded the ipod onto the PC and it says the software is as update as it gets - the serial number on the unit has a 25 after it so it is the latest firmware....

I have had the unit less than a day and am getting very frustrated with it but I love the way it works when it works....

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Todd
Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Ladies and Gentleman,

Sorry i have been away from the forum but I have been creating the same product for Nissan and Hyundai. I am very sorrythat i have not been here to answer questions. I have a member of the forum who is willing to meet up with us so that we can get this problem figured out.

The engineer of this project is soon to return from Germany and we should then be able to set something up. Sorry for the delay. The wheels turn but in this instance they turn slow.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Ladies and Gentleman,

Sorry i have been away from the forum but I have been creating the same product for Nissan and Hyundai. I am very sorrythat i have not been here to answer questions. I have a member of the forum who is willing to meet up with us so that we can get this problem figured out.

The engineer of this project is soon to return from Germany and we should then be able to set something up. Sorry for the delay. The wheels turn but in this instance they turn slow.
Do you have any idea when the unit may be fully operational with 07/08 model tl's?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by voidtrance
They updated the website to say that "2007-2008 Acura TL / TL Type-S equipped with nav traffic are not compatible."

I guess we are out of luck!
Did you see that video that I put on Youtube? Its an '08 TL-S... I did replace the XM tuner with a Sirius tuner and ended up circumventing any problems altogether. I have not had any of the lag issues since I did this either. So if you don't like XM and are thinking of replacing it and want this unit, it will work. Here's the link again http://youtube.com/watch?v=U6bYMMOHS34 and by the way, somebody already made fun of the gloves...
Old 06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm also interested in this too for my 08 type s however I don't feel like replacing the XM tuner to a Sirius tuner just to get this thing to work. Hopefully there is a better solution. Will keep my fingers crossed
Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
Peripheral,

I need some help regarding my PXAMG. I've been on this thread for a few months now, and I've had mine installed for a little over a month on my '05 navi w/XM.

Much of the time I am driving around town and don't have the ipod hooked up and want to listen to XM. Sometimes when I start the car I get nothing from the headunit - no radio, no XM, no ipod, etc. Sometimes is will give me only an AM channel and it will be about 10 minutes or so and then I can hit mode and it will cycle through the choices (FM, XM, etc.) This seems to happen most often when I start the car after it has been driven and sitting in a parking lot for a brief period of time. It hardly ever happens when I start the car cold, when it's been sitting overnight, for example. Usually the nav screen works just fine but it freezes all radio functions, and it won't even let me turn the power off. Very strange and even more so that it doesn't do it regulary but infrequently.

Any ideas? My product shipped with firmware .25 so I should be up to date.

Thanks.
I have been doing a bunch of thinking and pondering about why this issue is present. The only thing i can figure it it might be an issue with reinitialization. Not everyone is having this issue and it seems to be an issue which was found in .24 which is why we came out with .25.

If you are having this issue please do the following and see if this cures your issues.

1. Ensure your module is up-to-date. Even if your module's serial number ends in .25 still hook it up to your computer and visit, http://peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/index.asp to update your module.

After that has been done you will either program it or receive a message which indicates your module is already programmed.

2. Perform a HARD RESET to the PXAMG module.

To do this the module MUST BE DISSCONNECTED FROM THE VEHICLE. Failure to disconnect this module could result in damaging components in the vehicle.

Remove one of the side plates from the housing of the module. (remove 2 small Phillips head screws)

Remove board from housing it should slide right out.

Locate the bank of 9 black and gray capacitors (small cylindrical components with 22uF written most of on them) which are right next to the black main 24 pin connector.

Locate the one that is larger than the rest (it will have a + sign on the top)

flip the board over and find the two leads coming from the larger capacitor. (its the only set which run perpendicular to the rest)

Take a flat blade screw driver and touch the leads together.

Put module back into housing and re-install the end plate.

Reinstall into vehicle.

After doing this please let me know if your still having an issue.

Thanks,
TT
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Talking

I have been doing a bunch of thinking and pondering about why this issue is present. The only thing i can figure it it might be an issue with reinitialization. Not everyone is having this issue and it seems to be an issue which was found in .24 which is why we came out with .25.

If you are having this issue please do the following and see if this cures your issues.

1. Ensure your module is up-to-date. Even if your module's serial number ends in .25 still hook it up to your computer and visit, http://peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/index.asp to update your module.

After that has been done you will either program it or receive a message which indicates your module is already programmed.

2. Perform a HARD RESET to the PXAMG module.

To do this the module MUST BE DISSCONNECTED FROM THE VEHICLE. Failure to disconnect this module could result in damaging components in the vehicle.

Remove one of the side plates from the housing of the module. (remove 2 small Phillips head screws)

Remove board from housing it should slide right out.

Locate the bank of 9 black and gray capacitors (small cylindrical components with 22uF written most of on them) which are right next to the black main 24 pin connector.

Locate the one that is larger than the rest (it will have a + sign on the top)

flip the board over and find the two leads coming from the larger capacitor. (its the only set which run perpendicular to the rest)

Take a flat blade screw driver and touch the leads together.

Put module back into housing and re-install the end plate.

Reinstall into vehicle.

After doing this please let me know if your still having an issue.

Thanks,
TT
A little reset button would be a much better idea....
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
PXAMG GuRu

This will be implemented in the next run of hardware. along with locking din connectors and many other changes.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Pro

This will be implemented in the next run of hardware. along with locking din connectors and many other changes.
when do you think we will have the 2007/2008 acura tl lag fixed.did you guys see the lag on the type s you guys had last month.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by acura911
when do you think we will have the 2007/2008 acura tl lag fixed.did you guys see the lag on the type s you guys had last month.
We were not able to get with the engineer before he left for Germany. We are looking to go to our local honda dealership and get into a 2008 accord with NAVI and NAV traffic to see if we see this issue. this SHOULD happen within the next week. rest assure i will let you guys know if and when i know something.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Instructor

I hope you get it to work with the Type S. I have a dice, and will gladly convert to this if XM and Acuralink all work with the ipod added!
Im crossing my fingers!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't believe it took 4 yrs for something like this to come out for our car but i am just glad i've been patient all these years. This is nearly the perfect product and i am just waiting for the lag to be resolved. If our car didn't have a tape adapter I would have bought something else years back!

keep up the good work Peripheral
Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nalek
I hope you get it to work with the Type S. I have a dice, and will gladly convert to this if XM and Acuralink all work with the ipod added!
Im crossing my fingers!

same here, just waiting for this issue to be fixed and i'll be ordering one
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by grsd03
same here, just waiting for this issue to be fixed and i'll be ordering one
same here, just waiting for this issue to be fixed so i can order a new one.and when you get it working maybe someone can start a groupbuy on the pxamg unit.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Instructor

patiently waiting myself...
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

I have a 04 TL with NAV.
I just purchased the PXAMG unit from best buy re-packaged as the isimple.
I installed it myself yesterday and so far I have had no issues at all. It works as advertised. I can see text on my nav screen fine and can control with steering wheel controls.

It takes a little getting used to the way you navigate through the menus but once you get it its cake!

Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced

I've read bits and pieces of this thread and got a headache... So i'll just simply give you my situation and hopefully you guys can tell me what to do. I have a 2004 TL with Nav 6mt. I don't use XM radio and want an iPod interface that plays/charges my iPod and sounds great. Steering wheel/factory radio controls and text are a plus, but honestly I'd be fine if I just had to control everything and see everything from my iPod. I'd like the cable to be somewhere around the lower center console so I can control it with my right hand while I drive. What do I get? How much does it cost? Where do I get it? Difficulty of install on a 1-10 scale? (Given that I'm somebody who has some experience with car audio and have wired up about a dozen head units and systems in various cars before...) Thanks, I know I should search more, but I'm saving myself the headache of all that reading and I'm sure somebody can help me out pretty quickly/easily.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Instructor

1. Dice
2. USA-Spec
3. Peripheral

I hear the neckpain... who ever would have thought adding an ipod would be such an issue. I've got an 08 TL-S (nav traffic), so I'll use the mp3 interface for a while (until this get sorted out). That and I've made about 5 DVD audio disks using Adobemans GUI (all dual layer).
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
5th Gear

When do you think this next run of hardware will be available?

Also, really appreciate you being on board, listening to concerns and working to get things fixed

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4