3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow... Lots of crazy new LEDs from autolumination

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
My parent's new Cadillac DTS has white LEDs as backup lights stock from the factory so yes they are for sure legal.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone tried the Tower-2 bulbs for the reverse, these are 9LED bulbs and they are a bit larger??? Will they fit/work???

PLus, anyone has an update on these new bulbs reliability? They better last, they aren't cheap!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACTROS
Anyone tried the Tower-2 bulbs for the reverse, these are 9LED bulbs and they are a bit larger??? Will they fit/work???

PLus, anyone has an update on these new bulbs reliability? They better last, they aren't cheap!

Just ordered a pair of the Tower II's for my friend's Rav4's reverse lights. I have a Tower I as my trunk light so I just swapped them to compare brightness. I did not have a side by side test. According to my eyes the Tower II's do not seem any brighter. I was hoping they would be but the Tower II's use smaller LED's. The LED's on the Tower II's are about the size of the "zero's". See post on page 5 of this thread. The LED's on the Tower I are actually a bit bigger in diameter. As for the length of the bulb you shouldn't have a problem. They aren't that much longer than Tower I's. Someone can test them side by side if they want to but I'd just stick with the Tower I's. Not worth the extra dollar for Tower II's in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
DER NEUE ^

^Thanks for testing those, I was wondering the same thing whether they are worth getting and are they any brighter. Like you said it's better to stick with the Tower bulb since the TowerII don't seem any brighter!

Now, how reliable autolumination leds are? Anyone has a long term update on Supernova or Tower?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Now, how reliable autolumination leds are? Anyone has a long term update on Supernova or Tower?
I've got about 10 of the tower 2's between my TL and the wife's Odyssey. I had one failure on the wife's Ody, just noticed it Saturday. It's flickering and strobing... Just like my modded sidemarkers did before they failed.

6 months of use on all of them... but the failed led was "always on" (running lights) whereas the reverse lights only fire up in reverse. I'd suspect those to last about forever being they gte used about .05% the life of the vehicle.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
DER NEUE ^

Wow, that's a lot of Towers you got there tiger, they should give you a quantity discount LOL!

Aren't these suppose to last a WHILE though, only 6 month life for a LED bulb, hmmmm...that raises a question!

Thanks for your research and an update man, I'm just getting into this stuff, you know me, I went for the substance first, the supercharger, Volks, etc.... hehe, and now this, not that this is a child's play, quite costly too.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I deserve a quantity discount, but I know I'll never get it. They suck to deal with, but have good stuff.

They should certainly last longer than 6 months, but failure do happen.

I've been through 4 of the "tec toyz" clusters - lame.
and 4 of the festoon style leds in the interior of the Odyssey.

The moral of the story is ALL these bulbs are potentially failure prone becasue thier made in China with little to no quality control.

Wow, that's a lot of Towers you got there tiger, they should give you a quantity discount LOL!

Aren't these suppose to last a WHILE though, only 6 month life for a LED bulb, hmmmm...that raises a question!

Thanks for your research and an update man, I'm just getting into this stuff, you know me, I went for the substance first, the supercharger, Volks, etc.... hehe, and now this, not that this is a child's play, quite costly too.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I deserve a quantity discount, but I know I'll never get it. They suck to deal with, but have good stuff.

They should certainly last longer than 6 months, but failure do happen.

I've been through 4 of the "tec toyz" clusters - lame.
and 4 of the festoon style leds in the interior of the Odyssey.

The moral of the story is ALL these bulbs are potentially failure prone becasue thier made in China with little to no quality control.

Yea I've made quite a few orders from them now for myself and other people's cars but they never give a discount at autolumination or superbrightleds. I've been buying those 9LED festoons (10x31) for my friends' Accords and the domes in a couple Toyota's and have had quite a few failures myself. They just have bad connections in the bulb because they go out randomly and just need to be touched to go back on. Superbrightleds has been nice enough to let me exchange the defective ones but I had to pay the dollar shipping to send it back. So far their customer service has been decent in my opinion.

In case you want something new Kennedy I decided to order the Superstar festoon bulbs instead of the cheapo 9LED festoon bulbs from autolumination. It's the third item down right above the 9LED bulbs on the festoon bulb list. The single LED in it looks to be the same as the one in the supernova. I put them in my friend's Rav4 and Accord just last week and they seem brighter than the 9LED bulbs. Again no side by side comparison...sorry. I was replacing defective 9LED bulbs. I can't say anything yet on if they'll last longer or have a lesser defect rate so we'll see. Just thought you might want to give those a try instead. I'm never ordering another 9LED bulb again. Surprisingly my 9 and 12LED wedge bulbs from Tec-Toyz that I have in my 4 map and 2 door lights are all still working!

ACTROS:
So far all ~10 of the towers I've ordered over the last few months are still working but all of them have been installed in limited use locations such as reverse and trunk lights. Hopefully they will last a long time there. One of my supernova's that I complained about maybe a page back is finally getting replaced because it would not stop going in and out. It's gotta be internal to the bulb because it sits snugly in the socket. They really light up the license plate nicely though so I do plan to replace it. My cousin just got a new 07 WRX so I'm gonna order a pair of supernova's for his license plate too. Probably gonna order a couple spares to keep around this time. They're "supposed" to last a long time cuz they're LEDs but the quality just isn't there. Both websites have replaced bulbs for me but they do ask you to ship the old bulb back to them. Only a couple times they actually just sent me a replacement without taking back the broken one. Good luck with the bulbs.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
DER NEUE ^

Yeah, quality and China shouldn't be in the same sentence IMHO!

Just received my 7 bulbs from autolumination, 5 Towres and 2 Supernovas, fast shipping, but they sent me Tower II bulbs instead of the regular Tower. They're probably out of those.

We'll see how they perform...something tell me I'm going to need that good luck with these bulbs, thanks!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the #4 Supernova LEDs has already blown. I wiggled and switched it with the other bulb to detrmine if it was shot. I am emailing autolumination about a replacement.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

I ordered the first one, is it going to fit on an 04 tl?????
Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
I ordered the first one, is it going to fit on an 04 tl?????
Update, see post 7.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/sale-comptech-springs-so-cal-area-173833/
Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what I am doing wrong with my license plat LED's I have had three of them not work now. I used silicone the second and third time. The problem is that the wire in the LED gets loose. So when I look at the bulb there is a faint glow. I gave up on those bulbs and just put in the interior bulbs. They are a little more blue but I have had no trouble with them.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

will my system in my trunk cause any problems with reverse or license plate led's?? i bump on a daily basis!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, it may cause your car to blow up..

On the real, no problems.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

just ordered 2 of the SMT towers for my reverse lights... can't wait to see if they work out...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Help please...

I just sold my '03 Blue with Tech Toyz blue leds and purchased an '08 Black which i need to do the mod for now. I have read almost all the thread, but it would be nice to have a summary.

Here are my basic questions...

1) For the license plate use #4 the (194 Supernova Bulbs)? (http://autolumination.com)

2) When replacing the license plate bulbs on my '03, I ended up breaking both of the plastic housings trying to get them out through that funny shapped hole. Are there any instructions for this install?

3) For the backup/reverse lights use the #5 the (194 SMT Tower)? (http://autolumination.com)

4) I have never replaced the backup lights--instructions please?

5) For the trunk light use the #5 the (194 SMT Tower) (http://autolumination.com)

6) I have never even seen the truck light--instructions please?

7) Seems "zeros" where used in the interior--is that still the recommendation?; I can use the same bulb for 2 dome front, both doors, 2 dome rear, ?? vanity mirror(s)--do I need any more?;

8) Interior instructions please!

9) I assume the silicone goes right on the bottom of bulbs--can it touch the electrical contacts or do you use it only as a cauk to keep the blub in place keeping it away from electrical contacts?

Thank you for your assistance--I have a restraining order keeping me out of Home Depot, so not sure where/if I can get silicone. Replacing the refrigerator light blub took me a weekend because I'm so handy!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life and hopefully into the 3G Garage!

Kennedy, i can't find the #5's(ones for the reverse lights) on the website. would you mind pointing them out to me?

edit: wow ,i am a complete moron. i missed the thread in the 3g garage. false alarm.