3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
fuu... gotta consider all this crap in a few years.. been dating the gf long enough. live with her now... all friends keep asking when i'm going to pop the question so a ring will be in the near future.. I've forever told myself I didn't want to drop a buttload of money on it.. but who knows if that'll change in a few years.. Your story partially rung true with me Yumster, she doesn't expect much but is so giving. Difference between our situation is her parents and I get along rather well..

It's nice to see/hear other's stories so I can make an informed decision though... right now the timeline is ~2-3 years to pop question (maybe earlier?) and marriage in 4-5 years.. I love the idea of lab-grown diamonds so am still leaning towards that (hate blood diamond concept..) budget: ?? I'm a horrible when it comes to budgeting.. If it fits the bill and i like it, i'm sometimes okay with spending extra $$ on it..

Sorry for the D&R derail but y'all fuckers talking about cars... so 3G ramblings is a madhouse..

needs more tossing salads..
I think you can talk about anything in this thread except wacist stuff...since I got my e-@$$ handed to me about it.

So, you've got nothing to worry about.

The most important thing about the rock is you MUST set your budget. Period. From there, you have several routes...you can go with name-brands like Cartier, Tiffany's...or go with lesser-known brands and perhaps get a bigger and better-quality rock instead.

However, as with purses and shoes for women, the womenz love their name-brands...so, no matter how much you think your GF/future-wife will say not-a-big-deal...believe me, it is. In front of her girlfriends and co-workers, it matters. Not saying this is a show-stopper...but, something you must consider.

And of course, do your homework. I had only knew about carats and did not know about the other C's like color, cut, and clarity...those are equally important...Case in point, idiots I know, bought the BIGGEST rock they could find but the color, cut, and clarity were ...

Essentially, she could've been wearing a quartz stone...but, hey...it's BIG, right?
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Best idea: talk to your lady. See what she likes. There are actually some womens that don't like big and gaudy rings. Some do.

Consider a smaller engagement diamond and a kapow wedding ring. Most the ladyfolk I know don't wear their engagement ring after the wedding, except for special occasions, so dropping some extra dough on a badass everyday ring is worth it to stand out day-to-day.

And if your lady want a huge engagement ring and a huge wedding ring and such... Well then, I suppose you got 99 problems and you know how that goes.
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Best idea: talk to your lady. See what she likes. There are actually some womens that don't like big and gaudy rings. Some do.

Consider a smaller engagement diamond and a kapow wedding ring. Most the ladyfolk I know don't wear their engagement ring after the wedding, except for special occasions, so dropping some extra dough on a badass everyday ring is worth it to stand out day-to-day.

And if your lady want a huge engagement ring and a huge wedding ring and such... Well then, I suppose you got 99 problems and you know how that goes.

This is why the other c's are equally important...the carat/size is not the biggest deal for most gals...and esp. so if she's a small girl with very tiny fingers...

In those cases, something like 0.8c or at most 1carat is perfect for a very small hand...looks huge. Anything bigger than that...can look ridiculous and just attracts unneeded attention.
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Anyhow...um, salad.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,751 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I think you can talk about anything in this thread except wacist stuff...since I got my e-@$$ handed to me about it.

So, you've got nothing to worry about.

The most important thing about the rock is you MUST set your budget. Period. From there, you have several routes...you can go with name-brands like Cartier, Tiffany's...or go with lesser-known brands and perhaps get a bigger and better-quality rock instead.

However, as with purses and shoes for women, the womenz love their name-brands...so, no matter how much you think your GF/future-wife will say not-a-big-deal...believe me, it is. In front of her girlfriends and co-workers, it matters. Not saying this is a show-stopper...but, something you must consider.

And of course, do your homework. I had only knew about carats and did not know about the other C's like color, cut, and clarity...those are equally important...Case in point, idiots I know, bought the BIGGEST rock they could find but the color, cut, and clarity were ...

Essentially, she could've been wearing a quartz stone...but, hey...it's BIG, right?
Yeah I get it. I'm the type of person that gets true happiness from giving nice/extravagant gifts rather than receiving it.. so I'll likely end up somewhere expensive anyway

Yup! 5 C's! She's a great modest gal, doesn't really want a large rock anyway.. she's also 5' 4" (?) so too big will look oversized on her finger anyway..

Back to name- brand thing.. I'm more of a brand-whore than her... Just recently got her a X brand purse instead of Y brand because Y brand was getting too mainstream and everyone and their mom was getting one... So I don't think she's going to care as much as me.. I definitely have more research to do and am definitely going to start getting a budget in place.. Thanks Yummy!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

OH saw alll your replies while I was generating mine..

well I sort of answered some of them hahah.. We've definitely talked about it, we've established she doesn't want a huge ring being a tiny girl so that helps my wallet ;D

She doesn't have much preference in brands of rings either.. I've been trying to see which STYLES she likes so I can find a decent one that fits the bill. I think she's the type that will appreciate whatever I give her so it's all internal pressure I'm putting on myself moreso than trying to live up to her standards.. (My standards for myself are SIGNIFICANTLY higher...)
Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
You're just a hipster.

"Too mainstream"
Old 06-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by polobunny
You're just a hipster.

"Too mainstream"
You don't even know bruh...

<< Anti-bandwagoner

Congrats to the Golden State Warriors btw
Old 06-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered Bunny

You don't even know bruh...

<< Anti-bandwagoner

Congrats to the Golden State Warriors btw
You're being a bandwagoner by being an anti-bandwagoner like everybody else.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:52 PM

That's what's great about being poor. Don't have to keep up with the Jones'. Even if the refrigerator box they live in is twice the size of ours, we both live under an overpass!

#Blessed
Old 06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I bought my wife a ring. I decided to upgrade it for our 5 year wedding anniversary next year. She's pretty simple, I made it difficult. I went to every jewelry store you can think of thinking they all had different shit.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Whether you broke or rich you gotta get biz, having money's not everything, not having it is.
Franchise1124 (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

wait maybe it's 5 years in 2017....

Shit, I better do the math..

*goes up stairs and looks at marriage certificate*
Old 06-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Registered Bunny

That's what's great about being poor. Don't have to keep up with the Jones'. Even if the refrigerator box they live in is twice the size of ours, we both live under an overpass!

#Blessed
Should have seen my double dishwasher-box based mansion I once had. These were the good days selling old needles.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

#Blessed
preachhhhh bruthaaa

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I bought my wife a ring. I decided to upgrade it for our 5 year wedding anniversary next year. She's pretty simple, I made it difficult. I went to every jewelry store you can think of thinking they all had different shit.
Upgrading is a great idea! Never considered that...
Whether you broke or rich you gotta get biz, having money's not everything, not having it is.

wait maybe it's 5 years in 2017....

Shit, I better do the math..

*goes up stairs and looks at marriage certificate*

maff is harddzz
Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

I iz black we don't know math. Unless it's counting monies or planning a robbery.

I have about one minute to get in and out of the house, the cops should be there in 1 minute 30 seconds if I get stuck trying to get out the window, how much time will that leave me with.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM

That was my plan too. But maybe for year 10
Old 06-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
omg joe...
Shiett.. you know it's true

The right girl will like anything you put on her finger, but you don't want to look like a tool for being a cheap bastard. Either go all out or not at all. Fuck the 5C's, it's not an investment. Find the cut she likes, in her size and find a style ring and gem that's to your liking.

I'd buy something that might be out of your comfort range so that 10-20 years later, you're not thinking of upgrading. Plus most people are sentimental and rather have the original stone rather than a new bigger one. I'm not saying blue nile / tiffany / etc. Fuck those places. I'm saying bigger is better (assuming decent clarity and fire), from the lowest priced broker you can find.

Or fuck that shit, simple wedding band. Make some kickass memories with that money instead. You can have a nice wedding without spending +50k too.
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Who the flying **** cares about "brand name" diamonds? If someone is so shallow that they NEED a Cartier or Tiffany ring, I'd be dumping them immediately. You can't even tell the difference. No one is going to give a shit, besides the girl bragging about it- and everyone LOVES a bragger

Ring styles are copied by anyone and everyone. It's more important to get a quality gem stone rather than a brand name one. They'll both come out of the same hole in the ground anyway. Lol... brand name diamonds... FFS...

Thoi, just for an idea, check out BlueNile. I did a ton of research before I bought and that was one site that had some good info on it. The nice thing with that site is you can build your own ring, choosing from thousands of stones and even have a whole bunch of bands to choose from. You don't need to buy from them, but at least get an idea. Once you start getting closer, go talk to some Jewlers in person. I was surprised by the additional insight I got from them.

I gotta disagree with Joe on the size thing (lol). I don't think bigger is always better (lol). My wifey has tiny hands and a large stone would look awkward on her. She has two friends who complain about their rings, saying they get in the way of daily living and such. You gotta match it to your girl. Of course, don't get the 0.2 carat diamond either

Don't go bananas on the price either. Guys feel they have to go as big and expensive as possible. Buy what you can afford. Stretch a bit if it makes sense. Don't make payments on it. She won't love you any more if you buy a $25000 ring or a $2500 ring. And rings get lost. Wifey's ring is still covered under our home insurance policy if it gets lost, however, my buddy had to get serperate insurance on his wife's 15k ring. Making monthly insurance payments on that would piss me off. It's not cheap either.

Finally, take your time! I think I checked out a good 20 places before I made a decision. I had an idea of what wifey liked and ran with it.
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I agree with everyone here about the ring situation. When I felt the time was right, we went together to "Look" at rings. After having an idea of what she liked, I went to a family friend to get a custom ring made out. I gave him my max budget and he started to draw a few designs and showed me the diamonds that would work with the ring. My future wife is thrilled with the ring. She gets a ton of complements.

Always stay humble, it's never about the money spent or how big a wedding can be or how big the diamond on her hand is. It's about two people starting a future together, growing together, supporting one another and being a family. I'm looking forward to the honeymoon and oh that Lamborghini Gallardo
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
I traded in my ex's ring to the same guy I bought it from. Got everything but the sales tax back and paid the difference to upgrade to what I considered reasonable. .91 VS1 (or 2, can't recall...only one white inclusion)...solitaire setting...white gold band. Keep it reasonable, peeps.

She had no input. That kills the surprise and romance. If she doesn't love it, I didn't really know her well or listen to what she said she liked in passing...or she's someone I wouldn't want to marry.
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

I spent like 6k for engagement ring and the wedding band... My wife loved it, she had no idea.. The engagement ring was a 3 stone don't know how many carrotsss

Like I said 25 million stores later, found out a friend worked at Kays.

Proposed out in Santa Barbara on the beach then we went to D-land the next day.

I want to say we spent around 20k for the wedding, I've had friends spend 100k (of course they're filipino though). I have a chinese friend that I just became friends with, he spent 125k had like 800 people or some shit like that... My advice keep the shit small...
Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 PM

We spent zero on the wedding/honeymoon since we didn't really have one. Okay, $130 for the court fees. Bought a house instead. Rock, I won't divulge but not a lot in comparison.

I proposed at Sunset on Little Coronado island.
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Seems like we had the idea, I proposed at Sunset with the help of a friend who scoped out some good locations... Had a photographer in the cuts

Wedding was fun, goes by so quick and you can't spend enough time with your guests...
thoiboi (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:37 PM

Great proposal stories gents.. now lets get to the bachelor party and night before wedding stories..

Attachment 100688
Old 06-17-2015, 10:37 PM

D-land..
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 AM

No bachelor party for me.

I actually dislike strip clubs.
TacoBello (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 AM

Although I've been to a lot of them over the years for various occasions, it wouldn't be my choice for a celebration for me. Paying to pretend you like me...nawwww...
Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts

No bachelor party for me.

I actually dislike strip clubs.

Honestly, I'm the same way. A lot of my buddies are trying to plan one for me. I'd rather keep it low key and spend that time doing something else.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:05 AM

I mean, I don't mind the nekkid chickies...but, the other creeps in there
Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Appreciate all the great advice gentlemen, glad I asked! I know there's a range of options so I like asking a couple different people because I can then take their insight/experiences and make my own educated decision.

Great to hear from you Gus, hope you're not getting too bogged down by wedding planning. Love the Lambo idea.. may have to steal it... although for me, it'd probably be something along the lines of a GT-R or an R8 Spyder...

Not a big fan of strippy clubs either... I know I ain't that seksy.. You're trying too hard.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
well, we at least know Miz lubs the skrippers
Old 06-18-2015, 07:59 AM

too much money, endings not happy enough.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

too much money, endings not happy enough.

I think you're at the wrong place J.. you need to find the massage parlors.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM

and lemme get a chicken pad thai while at it...green, hot level 5!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

and lemme get a chicken pad thai while at it...green, hot level 5!
Don't know if you've been here but it's very tasty: Thai World Restaurant - Thai - Pembroke Pines, FL - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Very authentic Thai food and the girl kept flirting with me... (but she has a BF.. don't get it)

food was good though! Best thai place i found in S. Fl.. Much better than those crappy sushi and thai places all over..
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM

A couple times a year I like to go to the clubs because I'm so macho, brah. I'll pop some "bandz a make her dance", but no touching of course.

Then on the way home I'll usually swing by the zoo and go check out the elephants and the lions because them are some regal animals. Pop some more bandz; but no touching.

Later, swing by the Ferrari dealership. Pop some bandz; no touching!

Head on home. Cry in the dark by myself. Pop some more bandz. Finally... touching!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Registered Bunny

A couple times a year I like to go to the clubs because I'm so macho, brah. I'll pop some "bandz a make her dance", but no touching of course.

Then on the way home I'll usually swing by the zoo and go check out the elephants and the lions because them are some regal animals. Pop some more bandz; but no touching.

Head on home. Cry in the dark by myself. Pop some more bandz. Finally... touching!
You summed up 98% of the club bros right there.

The other 2% touch themselves before going to the club.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Do you cry before or after the touching?

Or both
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Registered Bunny

Do you cry before or after the touching?

Or both
While. Tears = lubricant

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)