**OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
Meh. It will be an excellent car from an engineering standpoint, but it doesn't "move" me.

My last three cars struck a chord in me when I first saw them that resonated with "I will own that car some day".

It was like that with the 2nd gen TL when it cam out (I had a 2001), the RL (I had an '06), and now with my current Cadillac CTS coupe.

Now before I'm criticized, that's just me.

The fact that C&D is saying that the RLX will be cross-shopped with the Cadillac XTS is telling. That car is being praised for it's interior and Tech (namely Cadillac CUE), but there has criticism over the FWD platform and the relatively tame performance numbers.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I predict that the RL will continue to be a niche car. The people who buy it will be those who appreciate the car for what it brings to the table, a ton of technology, very good performance and a great value.

It will not though be spoken of in the same breath as a BMW 5 series, E-Class, Audi A6, and even the Lexus GS.

That's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.
I think it is a bad thing.

Bad, and unnecessary.

The "it's just a test bed" excuse gives Acura an easy cop-out for failing to market a car that's good enough on its merits to succeed, but whose bungled marketing dooms it to failure -- just like its predecessor.

Why can't people be persuaded to buy an innovative car that's also superb? I can't see a reason…at least, not a GOOD reason.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Acura better market the RLX, it is their creation. They whined that the 2nd Gen RL was forced upon them as a re badged LEGEND and treated like the red head step child. Now they have an Acura conceived and designed product, that will be built (if not initially) in the US.

How can the market take the RLX seriously if Acura itself does not. Supposedly Acura is again reinventing itself on a 'smart luxury' identity. The marketing better start depicting that if they want consumers to believe.

The only time Acura tried to make an agressive impression on the market, they went overboard with the power phlegm design debauchery which impressed a lot of people who cannot afford an Acura, and sent a lot of die hard loyalists to other brand car lots.

Acura has a lot to prove with the RLX, on multiple levels. They have to show the brand is growing out of the juvenile designs of the past few years. They have to promote the RLX as a true brand flagship (to the dismay of TL SHAWD and ZDX owners who try convince themselves they own the Acura flagship) and they have to maintain the exceptional Honda engineering / Acura content and value that has made they brand respectful.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
JonFo (11-04-2012), projektvertx (09-20-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 02:20 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Acura better market the RLX, it is their creation. They whined that the 2nd Gen RL was forced upon them as a re badged LEGEND and treated like the red head step child. Now they have an Acura conceived and designed product, that will be built (if not initially) in the US.

How can the market take the RLX seriously if Acura itself does not. Supposedly Acura is again reinventing itself on a 'smart luxury' identity. The marketing better start depicting that if they want consumers to believe.

The only time Acura tried to make an agressive impression on the market, they went overboard with the power phlegm design debauchery which impressed a lot of people who cannot afford an Acura, and sent a lot of die hard loyalists to other brand car lots.

Acura has a lot to prove with the RLX, on multiple levels. They have to show the brand is growing out of the juvenile designs of the past few years. They have to promote the RLX as a true brand flagship (to the dismay of TL SHAWD and ZDX owners who try convince themselves they own the Acura flagship) and they have to maintain the exceptional Honda engineering / Acura content and value that has made they brand respectful.
As usual well said.

I personally find it inexcusable that Acura did not embrace the2nd gen RL because itwasn't their idea. It's juvenile. In the end they just hurt themselves and the brand

The 2nd gen RL was and in many respects still is a very capable and competitive car. It is shameful that other car manufacturers are touting torque vectoring AWD and getting credit for it. In many early reviews, the RL beat out many of the established brands in head to head comparisons (albeit AWD models). That includes the 5 series.

That's a big deal, but Acura failed to run with it.

As I have said before, possibly in this thread, Acura needs to find it's identity again. They began as a more performance oriented luxury brand (remember "Precision Crafted Performance"), but shortly after that they began losing their way because they weren't outselling Lexus.

The reason why they weren't competing with Lexus is because they weren't building cars that properly competed with Lexus models.

Acura has yet to build a flagship that competes with the LS, and it's pretty obvious they have no intentiion of doing so.

If they want to compete with them, then they have to.build a RWD über luxury flagship. Whether they're succeeding or not, that's what Hyundai is trying to do.

If not, that's OK, they can try to be the alternate choice, kind of like a Japanese Volvo that we've mentioned here before.

....and finally, I am one of those examples of someone who went to another brand because of the designs, knowing full well that I am taking a risk from a quality perspective.

The Cadillac forums are full of stories from people who bought early models of the 2nd gen ('08 and '09) CTS models who have experienced a ton of quality issues, but even with that, people are still saying how much they loved the style. It does seem that the post bankruptcy model years are experiencing improved quality so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Having said all that, I absolutely love the styling of my CTS coupe. It has an identity and it makes a statement. Fit and finish is so far comparable to my RL, but then again the car has only 6K miles.

I did have one minor issue with a faulty seat belt buckle that would intermittently flash that my seat belt wasn't buckled. It should gave been resolved easily if it were not for an idiot of a service manager at the dealership. That's a story for another thread. In the end it was resolved and all is good.

Again, the RLX will be a great car in the sense that the technology will work, it will provide great value and it will have competitive performance. The styling though, to me seems anonymous.

Acura has it in them, think of the 3rd gen TL, past Integras, the NSX and one of my all time favorites, the 2nd gen Legend Coupes. That car, to me at least is still beautiful today. If you can find one that isn't rusting away. It was simply beautiful.

They need to bring back the designers of those cars.

Last edited by GoHawks; 08-05-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 rlx

Hey my fellow acura fans, I think the new RLX will be fine with a six , but it would be nice to have the option for a nice eight, or better a ten cylinder engine . Has anyone put a nice turbo charger on a late model RL? If so, what kind of horse power increase was obtained.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinmc001
Hey my fellow acura fans, I think the new RLX will be fine with a six , but it would be nice to have the option for a nice eight, or better a ten cylinder engine . Has anyone put a nice turbo charger on a late model RL? If so, what kind of horse power increase was obtained.
Kevin, I'll give you a quick answer so we don't hijack this thread. Turbos aren't practical for this car, for reasons I don't remember. But one poster on this board shared his story of having a supercharger installed on his pre-'09 RL that was made for the basically identical engine of that era's TL Type-S. It required expert installation, and as I recall, it either hid or dislocated the battery, but it delivered very substantial gains in both HP and torque, maybe 50+ of each, with no reported sacrifice in daily drivability. You should be able find it pretty easily with a thread search.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I looked at those "patented" images and saw a TSX from the side view with very ugly rims, BMW 5 series from the back, a look I didn't like too much, and fancy headlights in the front on an otherwise boring nose.

I sure hope that leak is not what shows up on the lots or maybe some color will add it some sort of personality.

I'm all for technology but that's just too plain, rebadge and sell as Toyota.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't think the shifter is gated anymore... stupid paddles.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
A Look at Acura Future Products

FYI: I thought this article might be interesting to some.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...0-a5da68cb8202

Acura is in the middle of a major product changeover, reflecting plans to challenge second-tier luxury rivals Audi, Buick, Infiniti and Volvo rather than Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus.

Acura has launched the ILX compact sedan and redesigned the RDX compact crossover. It will redesign the RL flagship this fall and make changes to the MDX crossover and TL mid-sized sedan in 2013.

Acura will lead the technology revolution for Honda Motor as the new Earth Dreams engine family is installed in all future vehicles. Also, Acura is moving toward increased use of seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmissions in addition to its basic six-speed automatic. More models also will get hybrid versions.

ILX: Acura returned to the entry-luxury sedan segment this spring. But already criticism that the base 2.0-liter engine is underpowered may lead to a mid-cycle swap-out for the 2.4-liter, 181-hp Earth Dreams engine, or an automatic transmission for the 200-hp 2.4-liter from the Civic Si. Company sources say, in response to rumors on the Internet, that there are no plans for a coupe variant.

TSX: Within Acura there is talk that the TSX will go away after its normal model cycle ends next year. But don't be surprised if limited production continues, because the TSX's V6 version doesn't cannibalize the ILX's four-cylinder offerings.

TL: A redesign comes next spring, still sharing the Accord's underpinnings. Because the TL is too close in footprint to the RL, expect a shorter wheelbase and overall length, moving it closer to the soon-to-depart TSX. The big change will be addition of the Earth Dreams engine, a 3.5-liter V6 with 310 hp and 265 pounds-feet of torque. This is 30 more hp and 11 more pounds-feet than the outgoing 3.5-liter engine in the TL. A hybrid version will also be available, sharing the same parts as the Honda Accord Hybrid and with a fuel economy rating of around 45 mpg.

RL: A redesign comes in fall, and the Earth Dreams V6 from the base TL is the base engine. It will be teamed with a front-wheel-drive transmission and a four-wheel-steering system. The base model is expected to weigh under 4,000 pounds thanks to extensive use of aluminum and high-strength steel.

The RL will have an optional 3.5-liter direct-injection V6 engine with variable valve timing, combined with Honda Motor's Sport Hybrid All-Wheel Drive system. The improved engine puts out more than 370 hp, using a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

The redesigned car is about the same length as the current RL, but with a wheelbase two inches longer. Both the track and vehicle width will increase by about two inches.

RDX: The crossover was redesigned this spring. The big change: A V6 replaced the turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

ZDX: Sales are sliding for the MDX variant, but since it costs relatively little to produce it alongside the MDX, it might remain in the lineup as a special-order vehicle until the next MDX arrives.

MDX: The mid-sized crossover is scheduled for a redesign next fall and will stay on the Pilot/Odyssey platform. Don't expect much change in size, but definitely look for a dialing back of the "beak" grille. It will get the same Earth Dreams 310-hp V6 engine as the TL.

NSX: By 2014, Honda will hand-build the Acura sports car on a small-scale assembly line at the company's r&d facility in Ohio. The NSX will be as much about technology as performance. Instead of a monster engine, it will have a compact, direct-injection V6 teamed with a lithium ion battery pack. The "Sport Hybrid All-Wheel Drive" system uses two integrated drive units at the rear wheels connected to a motor-generator that delivers power.

The NSX will be developed at Honda r&d in Ohio.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Pitchforks up everybody! RAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Seriously, well said. I don't think the exceptional Honda engineering has gone away. It's the wrappers of the technology that have sucked abysmally.

If you look at the new RDX and ILX, I'd say the designers have learned their lesson. They are handsome. The RLX is not bad, either.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Pitchforks up everybody! RAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Seriously, well said. I don't think the exceptional Honda engineering has gone away. It's the wrappers of the technology that have sucked abysmally.

If you look at the new RDX and ILX, I'd say the designers have learned their lesson. They are handsome. The RLX is not bad, either.
I still have my faith in Honda engineering. And I am one of the few that likes Honda's conservative approach as well as tried and true before launch. I too see the designers retreating from the vulgarity we have had as the face of Acura since 2009.

I do like the RLX concept, and agree it is conservative. I am not exactly lusting for it as I did with my RL and former TL designs. But it is proportioned, elegant, flowing and honestly it looks like an Acura-ized Lexus LS to me....which is OK.

When I look at other flagships....the 7 BMW no longer works for me, odd proportions. The Infinity M...same thing, odd proportions. The new Lexus grill is too Predator for me, aggressive but not sophisticated on the LS. Merc S is OK, but never warmed to Mercs. That leaves Audi.....my likely brand to defect to should the RLX not pass my butt test. I do lust for the A8 and A6...even somewhat the A7....but I absolutely HATE the pop up NAVI.

So in light of that...the RLX has a lot more going for it with uber conservative styling.

Still, I want a written apology from Acura.....or an NSX.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm glad someone mentioned the Infiniti M and the Lexus GS. Lexus made the new GS more agressive looking. Although new GS sales have improved drastically, its sales are still a fraction of the BMW 5-Series and the Mercedes E-Class.

Meanwhile, Infiniti has done everything people claim they want Acura to do. Available V8 engine? Check. Unique styling? Check. Rear wheel drive? Check. Yet the M's sales are a fraction of the Lexus GS, which is a fraction of the big boys.

The simple fact is, the $50,000 (U.S.) sedan market belongs to BMW and Mercedes. Everyone else is going to be an also ran, regardless of what they do. So I'm glad Acura is using their $50K sedan as a test mule for technology that will most likely trickle down to the other Acuras.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I try I can't get myself to like it.... Sorry Acura.....
Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
The RL stood for Refined Luxury, what is with all the x's?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
New Accord has the RLX Lights?

Looks like the new Accord has a set of the new headlights the RLX is going to have. Not sure why they would put these on the Accord before the new RLX even debuts. But this is certain then to show up on the TLX as well.

From Honda Canada...

http://www.honda.ca/future-vehicles

From TOV...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-image?...cord_fg-01.jpg
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Looks like the new Accord has a set of the new headlights the RLX is going to have. Not sure why they would put these on the Accord before the new RLX even debuts. But this is certain then to show up on the TLX as well.

From Honda Canada...

http://www.honda.ca/future-vehicles

From TOV...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-image?...cord_fg-01.jpg
I too find it a bit odd that Honda/Acura put the jewel eye LED headlights on the Accord before the RLX is even released. Typically technology like that is supposed to start at Acura and trickle down to Honda...that's what makes sense from a marketing standpoint. It's kind of funny how the current generation Accord was never even offered with HID headlights and Honda jumped that technology altogether and went straight to the LED's. One can only assume Honda is just trying to add to the new Accord's soon to be class leading features list in an attempt to make it stand out from its competitors on paper since its exterior design does nothing more than make it blend in. Having the only sub-$40k car on the road with LED headlights will definitely make a big statement.

Of course this is completely backwards from the way they need to market the RLX when it comes out. How are you supposed to market a $60k flagship sedan and tout its impressive new technology when your lower brand's average family sedan has already sported some of those technologies for a year. I guess the only saving grace is that I'm pretty sure you have to buy the top of the line Touring model before you get the LED headlights.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I did not see "LED headlight" in either of those links, and this

does not look like this.

In fact, the first link says "deeply set multi-reflector headlights". For the RLX, "It also gets Acura’s new Jewel Eye LED headlights, which are in a dual-stack array and include 10 high-intensity LED nodes."

The Accord is just two side by side low beams with an led strip DRL. Not the same.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Drifting

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ooks-like.html

"Honda also says LED running lights, headlights and taillights will be available on some trim levels"
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
The new Accord looks like the 2005 Acura RL to me.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
The new Accord looks like the 2005 Acura RL to me.
What are you smoking? lol
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ooks-like.html

"Honda also says LED running lights, headlights and taillights will be available on some trim levels"
Well, that still wasn't in the link provided. I also don't know why my pic doesn't show up now. This was the Accord picture I was trying to compare to the RLX. Very different.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Does anyone know if the production version is still supposed to be unveiled at the LA auto show?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by getakey
Does anyone know if the production version is still supposed to be unveiled at the LA auto show?
Nope. It goes into production next week and will be in showrooms within a few weeks. The production model is being unveiled at a Honda plant next week. By the time the LA Auto Show comes around people will already be driving them around on the street.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-to...next-week.html
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Nope. It goes into production next week and will be in showrooms within a few weeks. The production model is being unveiled at a Honda plant next week. By the time the LA Auto Show comes around people will already be driving them around on the street.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-to...next-week.html
I believe getakey was referring to the RLX production model?

Concerning the LED headlights.....

I can understand Honda offering them on the Accord, even prior to the RLX launch. First, the Accord has much more at stake than the RLX. It is a bread and butter model for Honda and needs anything to succeed in the most hotly contested car segment....midsize family sedans. It will add to what appears to be a successful attempt to make the Accord more sophisticated than the main rivals being Camry and Altima. LEDs are the buzz in the market and Honda for once, is attempting to lead a segment.

But second, they are not as unique as the RLX's 'jewel eye' look that Acura will launch. RLs have never been major competitors in the their segment, and more a niche vehicle. So for bang for the buck, LEDS on the high volume Accord can do much more for Honda than 'jewel eye' LEDS will do for the RL, and possibly they entire Acura brand.

In a similar scenario....Honda will be launching the new HondaLink infotainment / telematics with the Accord before Acura launches it's next generation AcuraLink infotainment / telematics system.

Keep in mind the RLX was delayed and re-think from the original plan for a next generation RL RWD V8. The Acura flagship would have been prior to the next generation Honda Accord. That change of direction for the RL to now RLX now slots the launch behind the newest Accord.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

When I see pictures of the new Camry, I have to look close to tell if it's a Carolla or Camry. Toyota took a step back in styling on that one IMO. It looks much more juvenile than it should for it's class.

I don't have a problem with LED low beams. Audi started it, and very soon most models will have them. There are reasonable power savings to be had.

It's also comical to think, "Oh, your Audi has LED headlights? So does my Accord." I don't think there is a good reason to delay a top selling model's new generation because a model no one will ever care about could have unveiled similar features first.

Last edited by oo7spy; 08-16-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Yes - RLX production
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Yes - RLX production
Gotcha. In that case, I'm not totally sure but given patent images being leaked I would assume they will. If you're a car manufacturer you would probably prefer to unveil models under your own terms rather than sit back and let a bunch of leaked photos and such steal your thunder. The longer they wait the more likely the public is going to be introduced to the new RLX via a bunch of leaked pictures on Jalopnik rather than by Acura themselves.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Concerning the LED headlights.....

I can understand Honda offering them on the Accord, even prior to the RLX launch. First, the Accord has much more at stake than the RLX. It is a bread and butter model for Honda and needs anything to succeed in the most hotly contested car segment....midsize family sedans. It will add to what appears to be a successful attempt to make the Accord more sophisticated than the main rivals being Camry and Altima. LEDs are the buzz in the market and Honda for once, is attempting to lead a segment.

But second, they are not as unique as the RLX's 'jewel eye' look that Acura will launch. RLs have never been major competitors in the their segment, and more a niche vehicle. So for bang for the buck, LEDS on the high volume Accord can do much more for Honda than 'jewel eye' LEDS will do for the RL, and possibly they entire Acura brand.

In a similar scenario....Honda will be launching the new HondaLink infotainment / telematics with the Accord before Acura launches it's next generation AcuraLink infotainment / telematics system.

Keep in mind the RLX was delayed and re-think from the original plan for a next generation RL RWD V8. The Acura flagship would have been prior to the next generation Honda Accord. That change of direction for the RL to now RLX now slots the launch behind the newest Accord.
Originally Posted by oo7spy
When I see pictures of the new Camry, I have to look close to tell if it's a Carolla or Camry. Toyota took a step back in styling on that one IMO. It looks much more juvenile than it should for it's class.

I don't have a problem with LED low beams. Audi started it, and very soon most models will have them. There are reasonable power savings to be had.

It's also comical to think, "Oh, your Audi has LED headlights? So does my Accord." I don't think there is a good reason to delay a top selling model's new generation because a model no one will ever care about could have unveiled similar features first.
I agree with everything you two just said.

In addition if you are buying a car just because of it's headlights you need to reevaluate your purchasing decisions.

The jewel, Acura LED headlights are much more unique and while the Accord will have class leading LED headlights, they arent quite as attractive or upscale as the RLX ones.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

Gotcha. In that case, I'm not totally sure but given patent images being leaked I would assume they will. If you're a car manufacturer you would probably prefer to unveil models under your own terms rather than sit back and let a bunch of leaked photos and such steal your thunder. The longer they wait the more likely the public is going to be introduced to the new RLX via a bunch of leaked pictures on Jalopnik rather than by Acura themselves.
How long does it take to start up a production run in a factory? Seems like there would be a Press Release or something about it. LA Show is in November
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Genesis R-Spec vs RLX

Don't get me wrong because I am a RL owner but I just did a Genesis R-Spec test drive and I can tell you it's a hell of a car at a better price than the RL. It just received a J.D. Power award. Living in the Northeast where AWD drive is almost a must, is the only thing for me lacking in the Genesis.

Anyone else considering the Genesis?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I am delurking long enough to announce:

Production RLX to debut at LA Auto Show in November.

Acura's press release here:

http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...eles-auto-show

TOV article here:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1097206

Now bring out the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD model please.

Should be on sale in March, according to Colin.

Originally Posted by Acura
The production model of the all-new 2014 Acura RLX will debut on November 28, 2012, the first press day of the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, it was announced today. The new Acura flagship sedan will employ an array of new technologies unique to Acura, including the Precision All Wheel Steer™ system, the next-generation AcuraLink® Communication System, and the all-new Jewel Eye™ LED headlamps to deliver an entirely new level of performance, sophistication and comfort.
The front-wheel-drive version of the 2014 RLX will utilize Acura’s new Precision All Wheel Steer™ system. This system automatically makes slight adjustments to the relative rear wheel (toe) angles by utilizing electrically controlled actuators to deliver an extraordinary level of cornering control and steering precision. The front-wheel-drive RLX will come equipped with an all-new 3.5-liter direct-injected VTEC® V-6 engine producing 310 horsepower (SAE net).
The RLX will feature the first application of the next-generation AcuraLink®, which incorporates built-in two-way cellular communication to deliver a variety of new convenience features, including airbag deployment notification, stolen vehicle tracking, remote locking and unlocking, security alarm notification and concierge service. Acura’s exclusive Jewel Eye™ LED headlamps use a dual-stacked array of multiple high-intensity LED lamps, with ultra-reflective optical lenses and high-gloss trim, to provide powerful down-the-road illumination, while simultaneously giving the RLX a distinctive and bright-eyed look in both daytime and nighttime conditions.
The Acura RLX will offer an extensive array of passive and active safety features. These include a Collision Mitigation Braking System™ and the first application of Acura’s Lane Keep Assist System. In addition, Forward Collision Warning and Lane Departure Warning will be offered as standard equipment on the RLX. Passive safety features will include front, side and side-curtain airbags for the driver and front passenger, and a driver’s knee airbag. The RLX also incorporates the second generation of Acura’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, with reinforced front frame members for further enhanced frontal crash energy management. The RLX is expected to achieve a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from NHTSA and the new TOP SAFETY PICK PLUS status from IIHS.
Press materials will be posted on www.acuranews.com immediately following the press conference.

Last edited by neuronbob; 09-20-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I miss SH-AWD, I hope the RLX knocks the socks off the 2014 AWD Genesis.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Am I missing something here?
If I bought an RL/Legend with ACC, LKAS, CMBS and OnStar the only things that I would be missing is 10 HP and LED's for headlights?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

You are missing the All-Wheel Steering for this FWD model.

You would also have SH-AWD, though, on a current RLegendo, so you'd actually be down a feature if you buy the FWD version of the RLX.

Again....wake me up when the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD version with 370 hp is available.
The following users liked this post:
gman44116 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by db22
Am I missing something here?
If I bought an RL/Legend with ACC, LKAS, CMBS and OnStar the only things that I would be missing is 10 HP and LED's for headlights?
First, find me an RL with LKAS.

You would also be missing:
- Precision All Wheel Steer with your 10 HP (at the flywheel. The FWD will have a considerable amount of more HP at the wheels.)
OR
- Sport Handling SH-AWD with your 70 HP and GOBS of torque
- Forward Collision Warning
- Lane Departure Warning
- Dual screen Navigation and information displays
- Increased interior space
- Two-way cellular communication
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!
- Push to start. (You know, since this DEFINES luxury vehicles. )

You are acting like the current RL is running DOS Shell and needs an upgrade to OSX 7. There is room for improvements, but not that much.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-21-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Not even a mention of the AWD Hybrid date?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Not even a mention of the AWD Hybrid date?
Not in this press release. I am assuming the official release date is still next summer, meaning really in one calendar year from now.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

Not in this press release. I am assuming the official release date is still next summer, meaning really in one calendar year from now.
This is really a downer. My RL is getting old!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That sucks. I can only wait about 6 months before it's time to get out of my 06 RL. I'm at 90k miles right now and want to be out before I hit 100k. I was hoping Acura would get the SH-AWD model out early next year but I guess not.

Looks like it's time to look elsewhere. I looked at an AWD Cadillac XTS. It's a nice car if a bit underpowered. Audi A6/A7 might be an option but I'm not sold on the reliability. I'm really disappointed in Acura. I've had 5 Acuras in a row, but they dragged their feet on the RLX and it's time to go.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

I wish Acura would release the top model first to act as a halo. The fact is, though, that the FWD version will be the volume seller and Acura wants to earn some money by releasing it first. As usual, enthusiasts have to wait. .

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28