K-Tuner available for 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
There is a new ktuner version available. includes 2020 rdx.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by omygod711
The biggest difference between v1.2 and V2 is the screen. V2 is stand alone you can use it to monitor engine stat and load new tune without any phone or PC. Almost all or most of anything V2 can do can be done on v1.2 with an Android phone and tunerview app.

I wanted to use the stand alone stat monitor and I just got a V2 but now regards it. It's big and heavy for my usage. Too obvious to mount on windshield. I rather have the v1.2 and use my phone. I have a V2 for good price if anyone interested.

For those with the k tunes mod, have any of you have attempted to try higher octane gas 101 ?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by lil12002
For those with the k tunes mod, have any of you have attempted to try higher octane gas 101 ?
no I haven't tried the higher octane 101.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
Thanks so much. Blessings to you, as well!
it's been a month Dave. How you doing?
Been driving yet?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
I had a reply written here and it just disappeared when I hit reply. Anyway, I got the new knee and rehab is a bitch, but gotta do it. The good news is that I get to drive my Mazdaspeed 3 agin because my clutch leg is functioning. In fact, my Physical Therapist says that it is good extension/flexion exercise.

Feeling confident, I reinstalled the Stage 2 on my RDX. Install was easy after I remembered how to do it. The interface is not as intuitive as the Cobb unit for my Speed. My RDX is fun to drive again now that the tune is installed. Sport + and “S” depressed and WOW! I still want to lower it just a bit to kill some of the body roll, but that is likely sway bars as much as lowering. C’mon aftermarket!

It’s good to be back. The new knee is sore but very functional.

Oh, on the higher octane gas, our best here in AZ at the pump is 91. I know that on of the local race events has higher octane for sale at the track, but that isn’t something I have tried.

Last edited by Padre Dave; 12-12-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you think it would help a little after the tune?
Old 12-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
I had a reply written here and it just disappeared when I hit reply. Anyway, I got the new knee and rehab is a bitch, but gotta do it. The good news is that I get to drive my Mazdaspeed 3 agin because my clutch leg is functioning. In fact, my Physical Therapist says that it is good extension/flexion exercise.

Feeling confident, I reinstalled the Stage 2 on my RDX. Install was easy after I remembered how to do it. The interface is not as intuitive as the Cobb unit for my Speed. My RDX is fun to drive again now that the tune is installed. Sport + and “S” depressed and WOW! I still want to lower it just a bit to kill some of the body roll, but that is likely sway bars as much as lowering. C’mon aftermarket!

It’s good to be back. The new knee is sore but very functional.

Oh, on the higher octane gas, our best here in AZ at the pump is 91. I know that on of the local race events has higher octane for sale at the track, but that isn’t something I have tried.

Welcome back to the land of driving PD! Hope your rehab continues without issue. Your reviews of the KTuner keep pushing me closer and closer to purchasing it for my 2019 RDX.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lil12002
Do you think it would help a little after the tune?
Is this question for me? Just checking so I can know the context.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Expanse me

Is this question for me? Just checking so I can know the context.
sounds like the question was pertaining to the 101 octane and the tune.
what do you think? Both help!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 AM
Racer

I think you are right.....good catch.....sometimes the brain goes on a freeze
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Expanse me

I think you are right.....good catch.....sometimes the brain goes on a freeze
yup.
also, the 101 octane comes in a can at auto parts store.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Funz51
yup.
also, the 101 octane comes in a can at auto parts store.
Who knew? Obviously not me. So is this one of those “octane boosters”? I forget how octane is calculated, but obviously the chemistry must be somewhat plausible. Does the addition of this stuff positively improve performance, economy of fuel and promote hair growth on the scalp? OK, maybe not the economy one because users are obviously just a bunch of those damn kids wasting gas!

OOPS, sorry...my sinful “Archie Bunker” nature came out there for a second. It’s under control again!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another (better) way to improve the octane is corn. Ethanol tunes are very common but even without a tune, adding a few gallons of ethanol will improve performance....at least in the WRX world. Here is a good calculator that I use all the time. E85 (Ethanol) Fuel Calculator
Old 12-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Would love to reduce the body roll, as it is, the stock suspension of the A-spec is down right scary in turns, especially on and off ramps. Since aftermarket sway bars are not available yet, I looked into getting poly sway bar bushings but the stock RDX sway bar bushings are bonded to the sway bars ???WTH making it hard if not impossible to upgrade the bushings.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019MSM
Would love to reduce the body roll, as it is, the stock suspension of the A-spec is down right scary in turns, especially on and off ramps. Since aftermarket sway bars are not available yet, I looked into getting poly sway bar bushings but the stock RDX sway bar bushings are bonded to the sway bars ???WTH making it hard if not impossible to upgrade the bushings.
They wanted you to buy Type-S..... I would say wait for Type-S and swapped to Type-S coilovers and swaybars. I don't see big- name coilover maker jumping into this market anytime soon, since RDX is a unique platform and next-gen TLX/MDX appear to be going back to front double-wishbone.

Last edited by sonyfever; 12-17-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Racer

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got myself an early christmas present. My Ktuner has arrived. I picked up V1.2, so computer is necessary to flash. Those that have this version, are there any hiccups I should be aware to avoid? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Padre Dave (12-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by markm929
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got myself an early christmas present. My Ktuner has arrived. I picked up V1.2, so computer is necessary to flash. Those that have this version, are there any hiccups I should be aware to avoid? Thanks!
Congrats!
I can suggest to review the ktuner videos on install on their site. basic, but describes the process. There are a few utube's i viewed also before burning.
Other than experiencing the process, that's all there is to it. I did not have any gotcha's and have burned multiple times.
Just take your time. It takes a whole 5- 7 minutes to burn.
Padre Dave (12-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Racer

Congrats!
I can suggest to review the ktuner videos on install on their site. basic, but describes the process. There are a few utube's i viewed also before burning.
Other than experiencing the process, that's all there is to it. I did not have any gotcha's and have burned multiple times.
Thanks for the info! Even better to know it is a quick process. I will definitely be taking my time.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Please let us know how you like the extra power after you get it done.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
Please let us know how you like the extra power after you get it done.
Flashed Stage 2 this morning. Haven't really pushed her limits since. However, definitely feel a difference, more confidence, launching up on ramps onto the highway. Hope to get more spirited driving in this weekend. One thing I definitely have noticed, is things feel smoother progressing through the gears on acceleration. maybe that is just me and not the tune. Bottom line, easy to flash the ECU, and so far fun to drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by markm929:
ACCURATEin (12-27-2019), Funz51 (12-21-2019), Padre Dave (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sonyfever
They wanted you to buy Type-S..... I would say wait for Type-S and swapped to Type-S coilovers and swaybars. I don't see big- name coilover maker jumping into this market anytime soon, since RDX is a unique platform and next-gen TLX/MDX appear to be going back to front double-wishbone.
I’ve been following this and writing everyone I can find online looking for a lowering kit for the RDX but so far nothing. The Rahal Group is working with Eichbach to develop a “kit” for 1.5” lowering.....but it they are consistent with other “kits” for RDX since they did the SEMA cars their markup on their products are significant. It would be nice if they were consistent with other producers, they seem to be wanting to milk us for what they can get. I agree that this will be a low volume modification bunch, which makes lower prices that go with volume are unlikely. You never know, but.llll
Old 12-20-2019, 05:31 AM
Racer

Flashed Stage 2 this morning. Haven't really pushed her limits since. However, definitely feel a difference, more confidence, launching up on ramps onto the highway. Hope to get more spirited driving in this weekend. One thing I definitely have noticed, is things feel smoother progressing through the gears on acceleration. maybe that is just me and not the tune. Bottom line, easy to flash the ECU, and so far fun to drive.
Be careful out there! I really like driving it in Sport+ with S pushed on transmission. Very smooth, almost indiscernible shift changes but they are fast and smooth. For some reason I am getting better mileage on this setting that I get on Comfort when my wife is in the car...her preference. I love the steering feel in Sport+ and don’t know if there is any suspension changes but it feels like the suspension seems “tighter” than in other settings.

Last edited by Padre Dave; 12-20-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:39 AM
Racer

Congrats!
One feature I didn’t know about v.2 is that I didn’t need my laptop for the reinstall...the Stage 1 and 2 swerve saved. I did use the laptop to see if there were any updates in the software, Finding none I just installed Stage 2. Easy and back to a little “Yeeeh haw” in my drive.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:59 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone one have some before and after dyno plots?
Would also beiInterested in seeing the numbers -AFR, IAT, Oil temps, etc..

TIA!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Tee2Green
Anyone one have some before and after dyno plots?
Would also beiInterested in seeing the numbers -AFR, IAT, Oil temps, etc..

TIA!
there are two wheel dyne plots on the ktuner site. The other info would need logs from stock vs stage 2 running which we could do from the ktuner software. I just need the time to do it.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Expanse me

ktuner version 1.9.4 is available. I just burned back to stock to drive a bit tomorrow to see if I can feel the loss of power. I have been running on stage 2 for a while. just some research...
Old 12-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Expanse me

ktuner version 1.9.4 is available. I just burned back to stock to drive a bit tomorrow to see if I can feel the loss of power. I have been running on stage 2 for a while. just some research...
Sheez, what a difference.... going back to Stage 2 ASAP.
SpaceBot (02-19-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Advice from a former programmer.
Make sure your battery is charged fully.
Make sure the HVAC system is off, no fan etc.
Do not operate anything! Don't touch the power windows, radio off, no head lights. Close all doors.
Everything should be turned off and NOT turned on until the flashing has been completed.
If your car has been sitting for a few days, start the car and run it for a few minutes to perk up the battery.
Do not use an inverter to power the laptop if your laptop is low on power.
If using a laptop or another device, put it on the passenger seat up against the back of the seat to keep it from moving or sliding during flashing. When you start flashing, DO NOT touch or move the laptop and cable for any reason. Any type of disruption during flashing could be fatal to the PCM.

Most flashing disasters are caused from low battery voltage or disconnection from the laptop during flashing!

Reading and data logging will not affect the PCM as it is not prone to these issues as stated above.

Follow these steps and you will be fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oil Stain:
pingsid (12-14-2020), SpaceBot (02-19-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:52 AM
Racer

I am pretty sure you will experience the difference. I tried it too and just found the car OK. Stage 2 rocks!
Old 12-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Oil Stain
Advice from a former programmer.
Make sure your battery is charged fully.
Make sure the HVAC system is off, no fan etc.
Do not operate anything! Don't touch the power windows, radio off, no head lights. Close all doors.
Everything should be turned off and NOT turned on until the flashing has been completed.
If your car has been sitting for a few days, start the car and run it for a few minutes to perk up the battery.
Do not use an inverter to power the laptop if your laptop is low on power.
If using a laptop or another device, put it on the passenger seat up against the back of the seat to keep it from moving or sliding during flashing. When you start flashing, DO NOT touch or move the laptop and cable for any reason. Any type of disruption during flashing could be fatal to the PCM.

Most flashing disasters are caused from low battery voltage or disconnection from the laptop during flashing!

Reading and data logging will not affect the PCM as it is not prone to these issues as stated above.

Follow these steps and you will be fine.
it is only a 7 minute burn. that is not that long. Even if you took another 7 minutes to take your time, don't panic with the car being on for that long IMHO. But, do shut off everything, fan, lights, etc, and don't turn them off AFTER you start burning, and be STILL as stated previously. A good habit. Just prepare, that's all... have fun and enjoy!
(from a software developer and electrical engineer ... )

Last edited by Funz51; 12-27-2019 at 12:31 PM.
SpaceBot (02-19-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like the ktuner will be the next mod.
Which vendor did you guys purchase from?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by specie
Looks like the ktuner will be the next mod.
Which vendor did you guys purchase from?
got mine from PriMotorsports

https://prlmotorsports.com/ktunerfla...019rdx20t.aspx
Old 12-27-2019, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Those engine controllers must have very poorly designed power supplies / transient suppression if they are that touchy. I don't doubt what you guys are saying though, as I've heard lots of stories of bricked ECMs.
Oh well, lets hear more about the added torque with the stage 2 flash back in place.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:48 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
Those engine controllers must have very poorly designed power supplies / transient suppression if they are that touchy. I don't doubt what you guys are saying though, as I've heard lots of stories of bricked ECMs.
Oh well, lets hear more about the added torque with the stage 2 flash back in place.
LOL, well, flashed back in 7 minutes and took some datalogs on the laptop with a couple WOT. The pull is fabulous. Huge difference. Feels like the 20% gain in torque as shown on ktuners website. Just for instance, I know from before that the top turbo pressure was 19 for stock, and I measured 25 psi tonight for stage two. There are other parameters but none that I can associate with torque gains. Others should be able to.
Here is a sample that I got from the ktuner s/w. I stopped at 80mph.

I am sure this says more to some people than I. The TPS is always an issue right? I don't know why that TPSCMD fluctuating. I had the throttle to the floor. and it was smooth power. you could not feel the tranny shifting like stock can.

Just thought I would share.

Last edited by Funz51; 12-27-2019 at 07:51 PM.
sonyfever (12-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 09:00 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Still waiting for the day when I come across another spirited rdx driver. I was in Durham and Raleigh earlier this week roaming around. Would have been fun to roll up beside yours and get walked on. You have got me tempted to get the stage 2.
The following 2 users liked this post by ACCURATEin:
Funz51 (12-27-2019), markm929 (01-22-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Instructor

LOL, well, flashed back in 7 minutes and took some datalogs on the laptop with a couple WOT. The pull is fabulous. Huge difference. Feels like the 20% gain in torque as shown on ktuners website. Just for instance, I know from before that the top turbo pressure was 19 for stock, and I measured 25 psi tonight for stage two. There are other parameters but none that I can associate with torque gains. Others should be able to.
Here is a sample that I got from the ktuner s/w. I stopped at 80mph.

I am sure this says more to some people than I. The TPS is always an issue right? I don't know why that TPSCMD fluctuating. I had the throttle to the floor. and it was smooth power. you could not feel the tranny shifting like stock can.

Just thought I would share.
I'm interested in the knock control. Very choppy, which means the sensor is hearing true knock or valvetrain noise. This sensor retards the timing. What octane fuel are you running?
On the TPS, even though you had the pedal floored, when the car shifts, power is de-rated just before the shift happens so as to help ease the shifts. And maybe that is what your seeing. IDK...
Old 12-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Oil Stain
I'm interested in the knock control. Very choppy, which means the sensor is hearing true knock or valvetrain noise. This sensor retards the timing. What octane fuel are you running?
On the TPS, even though you had the pedal floored, when the car shifts, power is de-rated just before the shift happens so as to help ease the shifts. And maybe that is what your seeing. IDK...
the knock control is pretty flat. Are you looking at the correct green?
Old 12-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Expanse me

I run 93 octane.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks
Funz51 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Hard to see the colors. I'm assuming your talking about the flat bottom green line. Well, that's much better. That's what it should look like. With this programmer, can you build your own tune or are you stuck with the canned tunes?

Quick Reply: K-Tuner available for 2019 RDX