AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-performance-parts-modifications-456/)
-   -   K-Tuner available for 2019 RDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-performance-parts-modifications-456/k-tuner-available-2019-rdx-978958/)

2019MSM 04-22-2019 10:26 AM

K-Tuner available for 2019 RDX

https://prlmotorsports.com/ktunerfla...019rdx20t.aspx

Padre Dave 04-30-2019 10:21 AM

Has anyone tried this flash? I have an Accessport for my Mazdaspeed 3, so I am assuming this operates on a similar basis. Can their tune be edited?

2019MSM 04-30-2019 03:19 PM

Havn't tried it yet but I talked with them about it. I have an Accessport for my WRX and the K-Tuner works the same way. The unit marries to 1 car at a time and you get access to the RDX OTS tunes. Anybody can tune through the K-tuner and they also recommended some custom tuners that support E-tunes.

Atomsplitter 05-08-2019 06:24 PM

I installed the stage 2 ktuner back in January or whenever it became available. Install is a breeze it just requires a cable from your obd port to your laptop. Has to be windows. Takes about 20 minutes and your done. Completely different car. Turbo lag is all but gone, pulls hard through the rpms. I couldn’t imagine ever going back to stock. Well worth it.

Burger Steak & Eggs 05-08-2019 06:59 PM

All the strange lags and hesitations in throttle response are reason enough to tune IMO.

Alias1431 05-08-2019 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Atomsplitter (Post 16423511)
I installed the stage 2 ktuner back in January or whenever it became available. Install is a breeze it just requires a cable from your obd port to your laptop. Has to be windows. Takes about 20 minutes and your done. Completely different car. Turbo lag is all but gone, pulls hard through the rpms. I couldn’t imagine ever going back to stock. Well worth it.

Finally, some feedback!!!
Please elaborate on the changes in turbo lag and throttle response. Also, is there still any throttle hesitation at low speeds? Does a tune mandate using premium fuel? I have been hoping someone would speak about their tune!

Alias1431 05-08-2019 11:15 PM

Also, does anyone know which tune is better, Ktune or Hondata?

2019MSM 05-09-2019 09:35 AM

It’s going to be hard if not impossible to find someone who has purchased, installed and tested both platforms and tunes on their car to compare. Usually someone commits to and buys a platform and then runs tunes from different tuners to compare. Comments like, ‘It’s much better”, “feels great”, “turbo lag has been reduced”, “pulls strong” are helpful but are still subjective. Both companies use the tunes from the 2018+ Accord 2.0T and advertise these numbers. So on paper, the Ktuner looks to be much better, plus its $200 cheaper.

KTuner (These numbers are directly from the Accord 2.0T page, they aren’t advertising yet for the RDX)

Stage 1 Dual Tune (AT and MT):
Improved throttle response
Removed throttle dampening on low end, better performance off the line
Reduced turbo lag
Improved low-end and midrange torque
Factory boost targets in ECO mode
Boost level adjusted in normal and sport

· Up to 50 lb-ft of torque increase over factory

· Up to 30whp increase over factory

· 16whp peak-to-peak

Stage 2 (AT and MT):
Reduced turbo lag
Boost level adjusted

· Up to 88 lb-ft of torque increase over factory

· Up to 60whp increase over factory

· 27whp peak-to-peak

Hondata – From their RDX page

The tune is designed to give a conservative yet exhilarating 10% improvement in performance. With this Hondata performance upgrade, your Accord will match the performance of many more expensive luxury cars.

Your Accord gains anywhere from 10 to 40 hp everywhere, with the maximum gains not at the top of the rev range, but where you need it most at the low end of the rev range. Rapid acceleration is just a quick flex of the throttle pedal away. 91 or higher octane recommended.

Accord 10AT

Stock - Red

Stage 1- Green Adds 25 hp and 25 lb-ft torque

Stage 2 - Grey Adds 45 hp and 40 lb-ft torque

Alias1431 05-10-2019 12:48 PM

Interesting. I wonder what they raise boost to. Does anyone recommend a better intercooler with a tune? I take it that premium fuel is not required.

I'm certainly more concerned with low RPM power than 6000 RPM power. Not trying to win any races, just zip around town.

I assume this is a copy and paste tune from the Accord? How do we know the engines are similar? Worried the RDX has different sizing on the turbo or something... might hurt the engine in the long run. I'm totally ignorant on this stuff, but it interests me greatly. Very tempted to tune if I buy an RDX.

iforyou 05-11-2019 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2019MSM (Post 16423706)
It’s going to be hard if not impossible to find someone who has purchased, installed and tested both platforms and tunes on their car to compare. Usually someone commits to and buys a platform and then runs tunes from different tuners to compare. Comments like, ‘It’s much better”, “feels great”, “turbo lag has been reduced”, “pulls strong” are helpful but are still subjective. Both companies use the tunes from the 2018+ Accord 2.0T and advertise these numbers. So on paper, the Ktuner looks to be much better, plus its $200 cheaper.

KTuner (These numbers are directly from the Accord 2.0T page, they aren’t advertising yet for the RDX)

Stage 1 Dual Tune (AT and MT):
Reduced turbo lag
Factory boost targets in ECO mode
Boost level adjusted in normal and sport

· Up to 50 lb-ft of torque increase over factory

· Up to 30whp increase over factory

· 16whp peak-to-peak

Stage 2 (AT and MT):
Reduced turbo lag
Boost level adjusted

· Up to 88 lb-ft of torque increase over factory

· Up to 60whp increase over factory

· 27whp peak-to-peak

Hondata – From their RDX page

The tune is designed to give a conservative yet exhilarating 10% improvement in performance. With this Hondata performance upgrade, your Accord will match the performance of many more expensive luxury cars.

Your Accord gains anywhere from 10 to 40 hp everywhere, with the maximum gains not at the top of the rev range, but where you need it most at the low end of the rev range. Rapid acceleration is just a quick flex of the throttle pedal away. 91 or higher octane recommended.

Accord 10AT

Stock - Red

Stage 1- Green Adds 25 hp and 25 lb-ft torque

Stage 2 - Grey Adds 45 hp and 40 lb-ft torque

The hondata tune for the accord Mt is much more though. The hondata tune for the Rdx is about 20whp for the stage 2. I also have ktuner but it's for my civic. Haven't tested the ktuner tune on the Rdx.

Padre Dave 05-11-2019 06:51 PM

I just ordered the K-Tune so I will give you updates once I receive it and flash my engine.

Duna 05-15-2019 10:27 AM

Woo...looking forward to the results! Thanks Dave!

Padre Dave 06-06-2019 11:05 PM

Got it installed. Stage 1

I found a shop that does a lot of this stuff and after a glitch or two with my KTuner the guy installed Stage 1. Why he didn’t do Stage 2 I don’t know and forgot to ask him.

SOP dyno shows great improvement in acceleration. I never wanted to bury my foot in the accelerator but I couldn’t stop and caught myself going up the AZ 202 at 95! Mind you the prima fasciae speed limit is probably 80 mph anyway so it wasn’t anything that would be that out of the ordinary. So, so far it is very cool!

achong507 06-12-2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Padre Dave (Post 16436367)
I found a shop that does a lot of this stuff and after a glitch or two with my KTuner the guy installed Stage 1. Why he didn’t do Stage 2 I don’t know and forgot to ask him.

SOP dyno shows great improvement in acceleration. I never wanted to bury my foot in the accelerator but I couldn’t stop and caught myself going up the AZ 202 at 95! Mind you the prima fasciae speed limit is probably 80 mph anyway so it wasn’t anything that would be that out of the ordinary. So, so far it is very cool!

Hi Padre Dave - Thanks for the update. Couple questions:
What were the glitches during the installation? Is it too complicated to do myself or should I look for someone with experience to do it?
Does the KTuner reduce or eliminate the hesitation issue that a lot of us are having? This would be the main reason I would do this.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...e-nuts-979728/

Thanks,

ExcelerateRep 06-12-2019 02:46 PM

2019MSM covered the basics of the KTuner unit pretty well, so there is not too much left to say there!

I prefer the KTuner setups for the newer cars honestly, as I feel like they offer a better bang for your buck and feel less dated. KTuner offers a lot of the same features (as far as custom tuning and logging goes), and they offer a wide range of base maps with great customer support as well! Not to mention the V1 End User Kits are ~$200 less than a FlashPro. The V2 is a great option too if you are looking for program switching on the fly, and want things like digital gauges - and they're still cheaper than a FlashPro!

If you're on the market for your own KTuner setup feel free to send us a PM with vehicle info, and which unit you are looking for. We will get back to you as soon as possible with our best price possible!

For those looking to take their setups even further, RV6 has a downpipe available for these cars! They are available as a non-catted option currently, and will be avilable in a catted option in the future. They are still currently working with a catalyst manufacturer to wrap up development and ensure a long lasting product.

Happy modding!

Padre Dave 06-12-2019 05:36 PM

The Lord be with you!

The problems is with me. I run Windows 10 on my couple year old MacBook Pro. I was installing it and my computer USB ports must be somewhat unstable because I kept getting disconnected...the cord was positional. In the midst of my frustration, I got it working and then it disconnected but not before erasing something in my RDX's computer ECU. Everything worked except the start button, so I had it towed to the local Acura dealer. I was amazed at how unsophisticated the techs were, as their only solution was to order a new ECU. So I paid for that, and decided I was done messing with it until I got a more stable computer. Thankfully, I kept the old ECUas my KTuner was married to that ECU. So, the guy who did my tune divorced the KTuner and remarried it to my new ECUl. He also recovered the first ECU for me, something the dealer said they couldn't seem to do.

The hesitation is GONE on mine now! She is quick! The only downside I have experienced is an indicated decrease in mileage....running between 18-20mpg on the screen. I will measure it old fashioned way next fillup. The thing I would recommend is that unless you are a tuner, I would save money and buy the Phase 1 delivery system from KTuner. as the $600 unit I bought is for the person who can analyze and interpret all of the data generated.

I pray this helps. My Mazdaspeed 3 came with settings that prevented boost in 1st and 2nd gear because of the major torque steer with that car. My Cobb unit came with several OTS tunes, and I bought a tune from a guy here in the Valley of Phoenix and I had no issues with that unit. so I thought this would be similar. FOr me, not so much. Your experience may be different.

achong507 06-12-2019 08:08 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

omygod711 06-27-2019 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Padre Dave (Post 16439024)
The Lord be with you!

The problems is with me. I run Windows 10 on my couple year old MacBook Pro. I was installing it and my computer USB ports must be somewhat unstable because I kept getting disconnected...the cord was positional. In the midst of my frustration, I got it working and then it disconnected but not before erasing something in my RDX's computer ECU. Everything worked except the start button, so I had it towed to the local Acura dealer. I was amazed at how unsophisticated the techs were, as their only solution was to order a new ECU. So I paid for that, and decided I was done messing with it until I got a more stable computer. Thankfully, I kept the old ECUas my KTuner was married to that ECU. So, the guy who did my tune divorced the KTuner and remarried it to my new ECUl. He also recovered the first ECU for me, something the dealer said they couldn't seem to do.

The hesitation is GONE on mine now! She is quick! The only downside I have experienced is an indicated decrease in mileage....running between 18-20mpg on the screen. I will measure it old fashioned way next fillup. The thing I would recommend is that unless you are a tuner, I would save money and buy the Phase 1 delivery system from KTuner. as the $600 unit I bought is for the person who can analyze and interpret all of the data generated.

I pray this helps. My Mazdaspeed 3 came with settings that prevented boost in 1st and 2nd gear because of the major torque steer with that car. My Cobb unit came with several OTS tunes, and I bought a tune from a guy here in the Valley of Phoenix and I had no issues with that unit. so I thought this would be similar. FOr me, not so much. Your experience may be different.

Hey, just curious how is the tune after 2 weeks? Do you still feel the hesitation? hows the mpg? Thanks.

Padre Dave 06-29-2019 10:32 AM

Hesitation is gone! It is awesome. Mileage is around 18-22. I was getting 23 but it is also harder to keep my right foot from mashing that pedal.....

Funz51 07-03-2019 01:15 PM

Nice of you to post here, but your website does not support the RDX. Once it does, I will visit again....

Padre Dave 07-03-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Funz51 (Post 16448034)
Nice of you to post here, but your website does not support the RDX. Once it does, I will visit again....

Are you referring to K-Tuner’s website? If so, you are correct as of the last time I went there. The fact is that I bought the unit and took it to a tuning shop in my area and they talked with K-Tuner directly and the install was not a problem. I guess you can wait till you see Acura RDX on K-Tuner’s website if that gives you comfort. Again, it exists, it works, it is fun!

Oh, great quote on roads and curves.....my thoughts exactly!

Blessings on your journey.

2019MSM 07-03-2019 03:07 PM

I'll be honest, I'm hesitant about buying the K-tuner until I see the map advertised specifically for the 2019 RDX. I don't know if the tune for the 2019 Accord is the same for the RDX or if there is a specific tune and I'm not going to flash my car until it's clear what comes with the K-tuner and what tune to use.

Padre Dave 07-07-2019 09:16 AM

First road trip, Phoenix to LA. I averaged 22mpg cruising at 80 mph. While I am trying to find behavior changes I can make to increase my mileage., sometimes I just have to put my right foot down.

One anecdotal observation is that when I needed to pass someone who was exhibiting unhelpful behavior and the thing was quick. I was at 90 mph before I knew it so I backed off on the right pedal and brought it down to 80 and resumed the cruise control.

This is my first experience with active cruise control. It is fine on the open road, but as soon as I get in traffic is brakes quicker than I like, so I just it off in traffic. The rest of my “Road Nannies” are turned off. I prefer to be at the controls rather than using the equivalent to autonomous driving mode.

JB in AZ 07-11-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Padre Dave (Post 16449393)
First road trip, Phoenix to LA. I averaged 22mpg cruising at 80 mph. While I am trying to find behavior changes I can make to increase my mileage., sometimes I just have to put my right foot down.

One anecdotal observation is that when I needed to pass someone who was exhibiting unhelpful behavior and the thing was quick. I was at 90 mph before I knew it so I backed off on the right pedal and brought it down to 80 and resumed the cruise control.

This is my first experience with active cruise control. It is fine on the open road, but as soon as I get in traffic is brakes quicker than I like, so I just it off in traffic. The rest of my “Road Nannies” are turned off. I prefer to be at the controls rather than using the equivalent to autonomous driving mode.

You know you can set a longer following distance. I use ACC all the time, even in stop and go traffic, it is designed to provide "low speed follow", and will bring the car to a complete stop, and then resume, if the stop isn't too long. If it is longish, just a push of the accelerator pedal or the resume button will activate it again.

Padre Dave 07-14-2019 07:59 AM

Yes I do, but even the closest setting (one bar on the little icon center dash) I still get braking which is too much. If I am in traffic and someone pulls into my lane, the braking is really severe, where without it a simple partial lift of the gas pedal is enough to compensate for the following distance. Mine breaks heavily resulting in a very frustrating drive.

Your mileage may vary.....

Duna 07-23-2019 07:39 AM

Hey Padre,

Thank you for all the updates...that issue you faced must been mad annoying. I'm glad you fixed the problem...

Have you ever try to time the 0-60 with the tune? I wonder how much improvement in performance we really receive.

I'm really tempted to order this. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Padre Dave (Post 16453254)
Yes I do, but even the closest setting (one bar on the little icon center dash) I still get braking which is too much. If I am in traffic and someone pulls into my lane, the braking is really severe, where without it a simple partial lift of the gas pedal is enough to compensate for the following distance. Mine breaks heavily resulting in a very frustrating drive.

Your mileage may vary.....

omygod711 07-23-2019 10:13 AM

I just had a front sensor replaced because of failure and dealer probably have to recalibrate the system. I felt the system is less twitchy now.

lil12002 07-31-2019 12:33 AM

For those that have k tuner or hodata, would you say the performance improvements make it similar to a v6 TL v6 rdx? I just posted a thread on main page about missing the v6 feeling. Can someone give any imput?

spinedoc777 07-31-2019 08:20 PM

Couple of questions on this, I'm really close to pulling the trigger.
1) How does this affect warranty, and is this a red flag when bringing it in to the dealer for service?
2) How about a lease vehicle? Can I flash this back to stock before I turn it in? Can this affect my lease or be viewed as abusing the car?
3) Does this get rid of the specific hesitation when you are braking and then quickly take your foot off the brake and hit the gas? That's the #1 reason I would do this.
4) What is the difference between v1 and v2? When they say digital gauges what do they mean? Is that just digital gauges on your laptop?
5) If I'm doing it myself am I better off getting the V1 and saving money? I'd most likely want a dual 2.1 tune.
6) I see this gets married to a single ECU, is it possible to unmarry (divorce??!) it from my ECU if I wanted to sell it after my lease was up?

spinedoc777 07-31-2019 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16461111)
Couple of questions on this, I'm really close to pulling the trigger.
1) How does this affect warranty, and is this a red flag when bringing it in to the dealer for service?
2) How about a lease vehicle? Can I flash this back to stock before I turn it in? Can this affect my lease or be viewed as abusing the car?
3) Does this get rid of the specific hesitation when you are braking and then quickly take your foot off the brake and hit the gas? That's the #1 reason I would do this.
4) What is the difference between v1 and v2? When they say digital gauges what do they mean? Is that just digital gauges on your laptop?
5) If I'm doing it myself am I better off getting the V1 and saving money? I'd most likely want a dual 2.1 tune.
6) I see this gets married to a single ECU, is it possible to unmarry (divorce??!) it from my ECU if I wanted to sell it after my lease was up?

OK got some answers from their site, I'll post them up for anyone else wondering.
4) v2 has it's own screen so it doesn't need a laptop, has real time datalogging and recording without a laptop. That's about what I could find, so it seems v2 is mostly for someone looking to modify the tune themselves. I'm assuming this would only be applicable if you have engine, exhaust, etc modifications and looking for a custom tune. Digital gauges looks like gauges on the v2 screen with programmable LED's, not something I really care about.
5) Looks like the v1 is the best option if you just want to use one of their stock tunes, thoughts?
6) Yep, looks like you can divorce (hehe) it from your ECU if you want to sell it, very nice!

Also looks like you can change between tunes and stock configs at will, super nice! My only concerns really lie with the warranty and with having an issue with my lease, and of course if it gets rid of the brake and go hesitation

omygod711 07-31-2019 08:55 PM

The biggest difference between v1.2 and V2 is the screen. V2 is stand alone you can use it to monitor engine stat and load new tune without any phone or PC. Almost all or most of anything V2 can do can be done on v1.2 with an Android phone and tunerview app.

I wanted to use the stand alone stat monitor and I just got a V2 but now regards it. It's big and heavy for my usage. Too obvious to mount on windshield. I rather have the v1.2 and use my phone. I have a V2 for good price if anyone interested.

NitroMs3 08-01-2019 01:08 PM

V2 price

How much do you want for your v2?

omygod711 08-01-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by NitroMs3 (Post 16461426)
How much do you want for your v2?

I don't wanna steal this thread can you please PM me.

achong507 08-01-2019 09:09 PM

Does it matter where I purchase the KTuner if I have the Canadian model RDX? Do I need to tell the KTuner seller that it is the Canadian model? How come the RDX is not listed as supported on the KTuner site? Does the RDX show up when tuning or do you have to select a Honda equivalent? Thanks!

omygod711 08-01-2019 09:51 PM

Any Ktuner v1.2 or v2 works, as long as the ktuner is unlocked. I had a V1.2 for my civic before I traded for the RDX and it was great. The V2 I bought for my RDX was used on a civic by last owner. I had it hooked up to my RDX and check the ktuner software, there is stage 1 and stage 2 to flash. I did not flash because I immediately regret how big it is for my use and I just wanted to resell it on ebay at cost so I can get the v1.2 again. The tuner connects to a PC and automatically download the correct tune for your engine, so you will not install the wrong tune.

I had similar question regarding the tuner for used with the RDX and I emailed both ktuner and PML motor sport. They give me very assuring responses. If you have any question or concern you can email them directly. They reply very quickly.

achong507 08-01-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by omygod711 (Post 16461630)
Any Ktuner v1.2 or v2 works, as long as the ktuner is unlocked. I had a V1.2 for my civic before I traded for the RDX and it was great. The V2 I bought for my RDX was used on a civic by last owner. I had it hooked up to my RDX and check the ktuner software, there is stage 1 and stage 2 to flash. I did not flash because I immediately regret how big it is for my use and I just wanted to resell it on ebay at cost so I can get the v1.2 again. The tuner connects to a PC and automatically download the correct tune for your engine, so you will not install the wrong tune.

I had similar question regarding the tuner for used with the RDX and I emailed both ktuner and PML motor sport. They give me very assuring responses. If you have any question or concern you can email them directly. They reply very quickly.

Thanks Omygod711! That puts me more at ease. Hoping to do the tune soon.

Padre Dave 08-05-2019 04:43 PM

Sorry I have been off this forum for a while. Still running Stage 1 and loving it. I can switch to OEM tune any time I hook the unit up and follow the directions. Correct info on marrying/unmarrying. When my bozo dealership told me they couldn’t do anything for me but order a new engine computer, the guy who installed my tune had to get on the phone with K-Tuner and learn how to “unmarry” my unit to the original CPU and then marry it to the new one....sheesh..... Version 1 is more than adequate for one guy or gal to use on one car. I bought the V2 with is way beyond my bandwidth in ability to fine tune setting. I don’t plan to track this car, but could do it with the right tune. I’m still waiting on lowering springs.....

If I didn’t answer your question, please ask it again and I will try to do so.

Blessings, y’sll And stay cool. We are driving the RDX to Minnesota next week to visit my wife’s sister and family. Good way to put some more highway miles on the RDX and feel the joy! If you see us, flash your headlights. I’ll keep an eye out for ya!

spinedoc777 08-05-2019 06:43 PM

So if you reinstall the OEM tune can the dealer still see that you messed with it?

Padre Dave 08-05-2019 07:58 PM

It doesn’t matter. There is law (someone will remember the name of it) that has made it illegal to discriminate in providing warranty service if modifications are made, as long as they are safe and the car is otherwise road worthy. I am not an attorney, but I have taken tuned cars to dealerships for warranty service and none of my mods affected the warranty issues. I have also taken tuned cars to Arizona Emissions testing and gotten through with flying colors. In fact my tuned cars ran more efficiently and actually put out less particulates and NO2.

Of course, California is different in some of this stuff, so if yo live in the People’s Republic of California, you need to check your mods with the California Air Resources Board.....

iforyou 08-07-2019 11:11 PM

I recently switched from KTuner to Hondata for my Civic Type R. I will swap the Hondata to Ktuner on my RDX and see how it goes later this week. :)