K-Tuner available for 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Just switched over to ktuner and flashed the stage 2 map.

Damn it's even faster than what I had before with the flashpro tune.

I wonder what the advertised gains are as the difference is quite obvious.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Please tell us more. Has either of the tunes helped with laggy throttle response, such as when accelerating out of a corner?
Old 08-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Stage 2 is faster than the Hondata Flashpro stage 2??
Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
From my butt dyno, KTuner stage 2 is faster than Hondata stage 2. I wish KTuner would show us the dyno plots. If you look at the Hondata one, stage 1 only gets you like 3whp peak gain, and stage 2 is around 10whp peak gain. The main advantage is that there's much more low end and mid range torque. So with the Hondata, it makes the RDX feels faster around town, and that when you punch it in higher gears, you still get a good shove to the back.

The KTuner stage 2 feels like a Hondata stage 3, if you will. I need to test it more to see. The initial impression after flashing with KTuner was that, it felt faster.

Regarding the throttle response, I don't think it's laggy to begin with. I think what's laggy is the transmission. When you are in comfort or sport mode and in auto mode, when you are rolling along slowly at like 5-10mph and then give it gas, there's a delay before the car moves. You don't get that when you are accelerating from a standing start. So to me, I believe it's the transmission trying to get into the right gear before giving the car power.

When you are in manual mode or sport+ mode, the transmission would select the lower gears any way, and when you step on the gas, the car goes right away with authority.

Both Hondata and KTuner mitigate the lag somewhat, but it's still there when you are not in manual or sport+ mode.
The following users liked this post:
jdob (02-08-2020)
Old 08-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
From my butt dyno, KTuner stage 2 is faster than Hondata stage 2. I wish KTuner would show us the dyno plots. If you look at the Hondata one, stage 1 only gets you like 3whp peak gain, and stage 2 is around 10whp peak gain. The main advantage is that there's much more low end and mid range torque. So with the Hondata, it makes the RDX feels faster around town, and that when you punch it in higher gears, you still get a good shove to the back.

The KTuner stage 2 feels like a Hondata stage 3, if you will. I need to test it more to see. The initial impression after flashing with KTuner was that, it felt faster.

Regarding the throttle response, I don't think it's laggy to begin with. I think what's laggy is the transmission. When you are in comfort or sport mode and in auto mode, when you are rolling along slowly at like 5-10mph and then give it gas, there's a delay before the car moves. You don't get that when you are accelerating from a standing start. So to me, I believe it's the transmission trying to get into the right gear before giving the car power.

When you are in manual mode or sport+ mode, the transmission would select the lower gears any way, and when you step on the gas, the car goes right away with authority.

Both Hondata and KTuner mitigate the lag somewhat, but it's still there when you are not in manual or sport+ mode.
Thanks for the report! I too am also very interested in fixing the 'lag', where ever you think it is generated from, and also getting feedback from the tunes. What I also found is that if I just give the throttle a little 'bump' before mashing, the response reacts much better.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I bought a 2020 RDX SH-AWD. Been driving it for a while and the lack of responsiveness and apparent turbo lag really kill the driving experience for me. It looks like either of these tuners might work but I have a few questions that someone here might know the answer to.
  • Does anyone know what the design spec for the 10 spd transmission is for the RDX? How much headroom do we realistically have about the 280 lb/ft of torque the stock motor makes?
  • How responsive is the stock knock sensor? I drive all over the US and fuel quality can be pretty hit or miss. At high altitudes it is very hard to find 91 octane.
  • Anyone running the tune on 87/89 octane? I totally understand that if running a lot of boost higher octane is almost a necessity unless you have something like water or ethanol injection.
I have had some very highly built turbo cars but normally stay with a manual transmission if possible. No choice with the RDX so I don't want it to grenade. I feel more comfortable with the motor than the tranny.

Lastly does anyone know if the stock ECU has some sort of bit counter to track how many time the stock ECU has been written to? If not horribly expensive, and a pain to swap, I would likely spring for a spare ECU and flash it.

At the end of the day I am not looking for a huge increase in performance and the need to run 93 octane. I really want better drivability with a bit more punch. I have other toys for when I really want to go fast.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
I bought a 2020 RDX SH-AWD. Been driving it for a while and the lack of responsiveness and apparent turbo lag really kill the driving experience for me. It looks like either of these tuners might work but I have a few questions that someone here might know the answer to.
  • Does anyone know what the design spec for the 10 spd transmission is for the RDX? How much headroom do we realistically have about the 280 lb/ft of torque the stock motor makes?
  • How responsive is the stock knock sensor? I drive all over the US and fuel quality can be pretty hit or miss. At high altitudes it is very hard to find 91 octane.
  • Anyone running the tune on 87/89 octane? I totally understand that if running a lot of boost higher octane is almost a necessity unless you have something like water or ethanol injection.
I have had some very highly built turbo cars but normally stay with a manual transmission if possible. No choice with the RDX so I don't want it to grenade. I feel more comfortable with the motor than the tranny.

Lastly does anyone know if the stock ECU has some sort of bit counter to track how many time the stock ECU has been written to? If not horribly expensive, and a pain to swap, I would likely spring for a spare ECU and flash it.

At the end of the day I am not looking for a huge increase in performance and the need to run 93 octane. I really want better drivability with a bit more punch. I have other toys for when I really want to go fast.
When you are ready, I have a spare ECU I would be happy sell you. You can read how I came to purchase a new ECU up-stream on this thread. The ECU has been restored and is ready to go. Let me know if you are interested. It’s not going anywhere.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:33 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
When you are ready, I have a spare ECU I would be happy sell you. You can read how I came to purchase a new ECU up-stream on this thread. The ECU has been restored and is ready to go. Let me know if you are interested. It’s not going anywhere.
Did you have to reprogram the ECU to work with the stock keys or anything? How hard was it to swap out? Can swap stage 1 and 2 on the fly? What octane fuel do you need to run?
Old 08-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Racer

Did you have to reprogram the ECU to work with the stock keys or anything? How hard was it to swap out? Can swap stage 1 and 2 on the fly? What octane fuel do you need to run?
Way beyond my knowledge on the keys, etc. What I do know is that switching out ECUs is a bad idea because each one has a unique identifier and the K-Tuner is married to that identifier. To switch from ECU to ECU would screw with your settings (or at least I think so....they are computers, after all.). How our cars recognize our key fobs is something I don’t know. I didn’t have to reprogram my keys when they put the new my new ECU in, but it did reduce the size of my wallet (~$400).

I am about to get gutsy and see if I can upgrade to Stage 2 myself, just using my K-Tuner v.2 unit. I will likely go to a performance shop that does this stuff all of the time and pay them to do it. I do not believe you can switch between Stage 1 & 2 at all. They are different programming.....though someone with more experience may prove me wrong, which would be great. I run 91 Octane “Premium” which is the highest we have. My dear spouse accidentally filled the car with mid-grade on vacation and I really didn’t notice any difference in mileage or cruising at 80mph most of the trip from Arizona to Minnesota and back, and we did take different routes so that makes it impossible to compare.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2019MSM
It’s going to be hard if not impossible to find someone who has purchased, installed and tested both platforms and tunes on their car to compare. Usually someone commits to and buys a platform and then runs tunes from different tuners to compare. Comments like, ‘It’s much better”, “feels great”, “turbo lag has been reduced”, “pulls strong” are helpful but are still subjective. Both companies use the tunes from the 2018+ Accord 2.0T and advertise these numbers. So on paper, the Ktuner looks to be much better, plus its $200 cheaper.

KTuner (These numbers are directly from the Accord 2.0T page, they aren’t advertising yet for the RDX)

Stage 1 Dual Tune (AT and MT):
Improved throttle response
Removed throttle dampening on low end, better performance off the line
Reduced turbo lag
Improved low-end and midrange torque
Factory boost targets in ECO mode
Boost level adjusted in normal and sport

· Up to 50 lb-ft of torque increase over factory

· Up to 30whp increase over factory

· 16whp peak-to-peak

Stage 2 (AT and MT):
Improved throttle response
Removed throttle dampening on low end, better performance off the line
Reduced turbo lag
Improved low-end and midrange torque
Boost level adjusted

· Up to 88 lb-ft of torque increase over factory

· Up to 60whp increase over factory

· 27whp peak-to-peak

Hondata – From their RDX page

The tune is designed to give a conservative yet exhilarating 10% improvement in performance. With this Hondata performance upgrade, your Accord will match the performance of many more expensive luxury cars.

Your Accord gains anywhere from 10 to 40 hp everywhere, with the maximum gains not at the top of the rev range, but where you need it most at the low end of the rev range. Rapid acceleration is just a quick flex of the throttle pedal away. 91 or higher octane recommended.

Accord 10AT

Stock - Red

Stage 1- Green Adds 25 hp and 25 lb-ft torque

Stage 2 - Grey Adds 45 hp and 40 lb-ft torque

This is the earlier discussion about the difference between Stage 1 & 2 for the K-Tuner.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 AM
Gearhead

Thanks Dave. I just want to clarify a few things you said.

Did they charge you $400 for installation of the ECU or was that the cost of the ECU itself? On some cars an ECU swap can be done in about 5 minutes and is fairly easy. Unfortunately I am new to the RDX so trying to come up to speed.

I am still concerned about the rated torque input for the transmission. So I'll do some research and see what I can dig up.

So far I like the car. It seems more competent than inspiring. I guess that is what Acura was aiming for. It doesn't really elicit the fun to drive factor like a BMW would but it is pretty capable. The torque vectoring of the SH-AWD works as intended.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
doesnt the rdx use the same 10 speed transmission as the accord uses? if so then the torque the tune give should be able to able to handle and even more.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Gearhead

Anybody know how much boost is being run on any of the Hondata or K-tuner tunes? I did a few runs with my car and the peak it hit was 15.5 lbs and then dropped to a steady 15 lbs. Didn't matter what mode I was in between comfort, sport or sport +, it was all the same. I didn't try snow.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 PM
Racer

Pretty sure the stock tune does not alter WOT power levels as a function of drive mode.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Gearhead

Based on my testing I can't see any difference at WOT. I ran it again tonight and same peak boost across all drive modes. I didn't bother with snow like before.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Racer

I am itching to try a quarter mile pass at a dragstrip while mine is still stock, before buying a tune.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The info is out! up to 45whp and 60wtq!! damnnnn

https://ktuner.com/19rdx/
ACCURATEin (10-15-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
I am itching to try a quarter mile pass at a dragstrip while mine is still stock, before buying a tune.
Just got buy Dragy and have a 1/4 mile timer in your pocket whenever you need it. For $150 it is worth every dollar.

As for the Ktuner tune, it looks pretty solid on the dyno. What I wish they would've done is show the dyno results below 2750 and above 6k. Though with them stopping it at 6k, it sort of reinforces the experience with my car stock. Hondacura has it shifting pretty early and rarely gets to redline even at WOT. The tuned one I drove was similar.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Racer

Just got buy Dragy and have a 1/4 mile timer in your pocket whenever you need it. For $150 it is worth every dollar.

As for the Ktuner tune, it looks pretty solid on the dyno. What I wish they would've done is show the dyno results below 2750 and above 6k. Though with them stopping it at 6k, it sort of reinforces the experience with my car stock. Hondacura has it shifting pretty early and rarely gets to redline even at WOT. The tuned one I drove was similar.
Whats up brother, I still have an original G-Tech from ages ago, but I did manage to get to an actual drag strip a few weeks ago, you might recall. 60' time = embarrassment emoticon.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Gearhead

I still have a G-tech as well. The problem with that is if the vehicle or bike pitches much such as squatting or lifting the nose (front wheel(s)). So I found dragy is much better in that respect, more accurate and much more portable.

Sadly I think we are all a victim of the embarrassing 60's times.

On a tuned note, I had a chance to drive the Ktuned one again with cooler temps. It definitely responded nicely to the cooler air. Didn't get a chance to time it, but it definitely pulled better. Which of course makes the transition from bog slow launches to very solid acceleration after that even more noticeable. I was out driving around this weekend and had to go from a stop onto a highway where everyone was running 65+ plus. The traffic was pretty tightly grouped and I was really sweating it as I floored it to merge and again it just leisure rolled out before finally getting with the program.

I really like so much about the RDX, and the more I drive it, the more I like about it. The off the line nanny is a real buzz kill though. I can't say I am impressed about the mileage. 22mpg overall at this point. Not a big fan of the tires either considering how sporty the car can be. The more I drive it the more I think of it as a larger VW GTI than a CUV/SUV.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Racer

My GTech is the original, looks like a radar detector. The run had to be absolutely smooth for accuracy. Any wheelhop, lurching etc and it would error. That said, low powered vehicles usually do smooth runs, so it would give ET within a tenth of the actual drag strip printout. Mph was usually about 3 mph too high though.

Did you see the tuning tables made available by Ktuner. There are a couple that seem directly related to the launch and 60'. I'd love to crank up those tables and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Racer

Quote by WAVSHDR: “I really like so much about the RDX, and the more I drive it, the more I like about it. The off the line nanny is a real buzz kill though. I can't say I am impressed about the mileage. 22mpg overall at this point. Not a big fan of the tires either considering how sporty the car can be. The more I drive it the more I think of it as a larger VW GTI than a CUV/SUV.”

Thanks for that. I see this car as a “Plus size hot hatch” and drive mine that way. That is why I put the Michelin PilotSport tires on it, and am really anxious for Eichbach or some such to sell a decent lowering spring to reduce the wheel well gap and also lower the center of gravity for cornering. I’m getting 29 with no AC on this current road trip through the 2 lane roads of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico and Arizona with some mountain driving. I run 91 Octane all of the time. City driving I get 22-23, with air-conditioning all the time. I stay on the go pedal when it is appropriate, which can lower that computed mpg in our cars.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Expanse me

I still have a G-tech as well. The problem with that is if the vehicle or bike pitches much such as squatting or lifting the nose (front wheel(s)). So I found dragy is much better in that respect, more accurate and much more portable.

Sadly I think we are all a victim of the embarrassing 60's times.

On a tuned note, I had a chance to drive the Ktuned one again with cooler temps. It definitely responded nicely to the cooler air. Didn't get a chance to time it, but it definitely pulled better. Which of course makes the transition from bog slow launches to very solid acceleration after that even more noticeable. I was out driving around this weekend and had to go from a stop onto a highway where everyone was running 65+ plus. The traffic was pretty tightly grouped and I was really sweating it as I floored it to merge and again it just leisure rolled out before finally getting with the program.

I really like so much about the RDX, and the more I drive it, the more I like about it. The off the line nanny is a real buzz kill though. I can't say I am impressed about the mileage. 22mpg overall at this point. Not a big fan of the tires either considering how sporty the car can be. The more I drive it the more I think of it as a larger VW GTI than a CUV/SUV.
Again, if you need to pull out like that again, pull the right lever first, or tap the gas just before you go. it helps.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Gearhead

I'll try that and see. I was starting in 1st gear already. If it seems to work, I'll run some tests and see if I can quantify the improvement.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Racer

This was weird!

Well, this was weird, but today after getting gas at Costco I set my car on Sport + and my transmission to “S” and accelerated onto the on-ramp on our SR 202. About half way down the ramp, I lost power and every malfunction warning lot came on, just like when we program with the KTuner. This time they wouldn’t go away, but the car drove without incident. I drove home like I normally would, I couldn’t change any of the settings on Dynamic Drive and the warning lights and screens continued to cycle all the way home.

This car is SO electronic, compared to my previous vehicles, so I decided to go back to Factory tune on the KTuner. So, I hooked up the KTuner v.2 unit but all I got was a graph, so I brought my laptop out and launched the program and set it to Factory settings. I turned it off and on as the Tuner said, unhooked everything and went for a low speed neighborhood drive. When I got home the warning lights had all gone out and all of the Systems that were not functioning were now back off as well.

So, folks, I have a KTuner v.2 for sale for $300. Gently used....first come, first served....
Old 11-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
This was weird!

Well, this was weird, but today after getting gas at Costco I set my car on Sport + and my transmission to “S” and accelerated onto the on-ramp on our SR 202. About half way down the ramp, I lost power and every malfunction warning lot came on, just like when we program with the KTuner. This time they wouldn’t go away, but the car drove without incident. I drove home like I normally would, I couldn’t change any of the settings on Dynamic Drive and the warning lights and screens continued to cycle all the way home.

This car is SO electronic, compared to my previous vehicles, so I decided to go back to Factory tune on the KTuner. So, I hooked up the KTuner v.2 unit but all I got was a graph, so I brought my laptop out and launched the program and set it to Factory settings. I turned it off and on as the Tuner said, unhooked everything and went for a low speed neighborhood drive. When I got home the warning lights had all gone out and all of the Systems that were not functioning were now back off as well.

So, folks, I have a KTuner v.2 for sale for $300. Gently used....first come, first served....
have you tried getting in touch with KTuner and explaining what happened?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Did you check if there was any code logged?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by not2envy
have you tried getting in touch with KTuner and explaining what happened?
Agreed. Ask for help. Sorry to hear Dave.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Racer

Yes, of course. But until this gets worked out, it made my car unstable, and this car is my daily driver
Old 11-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Expanse me

Yes, of course. But until this gets worked out, it made my car unstable, and this car is my daily driver
you can go into the three-finger access and run a report. not sure what it provides since I only played with it a few months ago.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
This was weird!

Yikes, sorry to hear that Dave. Was the engine at high RPM when the power loss/light show happened? This sounds similar (lacking the alleged water aspect) to the limp mode issue others have experienced. Seems like possibly the engine just doesn't like being pushed too much as most of the power loss/MID light show happens when it gets pushed.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any update, did you talk with the Ktuner folks. Waiting to pull the trigger on the Ktuner until I hear an update about your issue.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
This was weird!

I'm interested...sent you PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by markm929
Yikes, sorry to hear that Dave. Was the engine at high RPM when the power loss/light show happened? This sounds similar (lacking the alleged water aspect) to the limp mode issue others have experienced. Seems like possibly the engine just doesn't like being pushed too much as most of the power loss/MID light show happens when it gets pushed.
I don't think that is the issue. I know when I was testing the other RDX with the Ktuner we did lots of back to back runs at full throttle. Even ran a full throttle run for a half mile on a hot Florida. day. Not a single hiccup. I don't think Padre Dave's issue was the tune. My car is stock and I saw some weird behavior today.

I got on it hard from a light and halfway through the intersection (that was totally clear) it flashed up the brake warning on the HUD and applied the brakes. It flashed some lights on the dash, but I didn't have time to tell what they were before they went out. Got back on the throttle and it seemed to run fine. I have no idea what happened as there was nothing to trigger the collision warning and activate it. I put 50k miles on a 2013 Toyota Avalon and never had near the false alarms it did with the collision detection in 50k miles as I've had in just 2k miles on mine. That was with a first gen system. The Acura should have been much better.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Racer

I don't think that is the issue. I know when I was testing the other RDX with the Ktuner we did lots of back to back runs at full throttle. Even ran a full throttle run for a half mile on a hot Florida. day. Not a single hiccup. I don't think Padre Dave's issue was the tune. My car is stock and I saw some weird behavior today.

I got on it hard from a light and halfway through the intersection (that was totally clear) it flashed up the brake warning on the HUD and applied the brakes. It flashed some lights on the dash, but I didn't have time to tell what they were before they went out. Got back on the throttle and it seemed to run fine. I have no idea what happened as there was nothing to trigger the collision warning and activate it. I put 50k miles on a 2013 Toyota Avalon and never had near the false alarms it did with the collision detection in 50k miles as I've had in just 2k miles on mine. That was with a first gen system. The Acura should have been much better.
I agree I do not believe it has anything to do with the tune. I think it is an engineering issue that goes back directly to Acura design. Just spit-balling here as I am no engineer, but could there be a faulty regulator that isn't hold the volts/amps to a constant and a possible spike is causing the warning systems to trigger? I'll shut up now as my knowledge level on the subject is below that necessary to carry on the conversation beyond this rudimentary level.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Racer

Talking

This was weird!

After further reflection and the experience of another thread that described my scenario, minus the KTuner.....so, the scientist that is still left in me will try the install again to see if the weird thing happens again. The problem is that I am having a total knee replacement in the morning....literally....so I won't get to drive it much for the next couple of weeks,. I will be back, then and hopefully will be able to drive my Mazdaspeed 3 this winter without knee pain on the clutch leg.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow and get well quick. Driving the Mazdaspeed 3 will probably be very good physical therapy, I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor doesn't recommend it.��

Last edited by GW208; 11-11-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Padre Dave (12-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 AM
Racer

Thanks so much. Blessings to you, as well!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Racer

Good luck with the surgery. Hope all goes well.
Padre Dave (12-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Expanse me

Good Luck PD!
Padre Dave (12-13-2019)

Quick Reply: K-Tuner available for 2019 RDX