Stop navigating with WAZE using AA

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020 | 02:35 PM
Advanced

Stop navigating with WAZE using AA

Now that WAZE through Android Auto is working well, one nit baffles me. I can say "OK, Google, navigate to blah blah", and it sends that to WAZE and that works. But how do you stop navigating?
If I say "OK, Google, stop navigating", it can't understand that (or anything else I can think of). I assume that's because WAZE on the phone is doing the navigating by then, but I can't talk to WAZE because AA is handling the interface.
I can quit the app on the phone, but I would think there would be a voice command to stop?
Old 02-17-2020 | 06:44 PM
-- Instructor --

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/9332876?hl=en

Using google assistant in Waze commands.

Regards------------

Old 02-18-2020 | 08:51 AM
Advanced

Thanks, those all work when using just the phone. But, when connected to AA, some work (the non-navigating ones, like find a gas station), but the navigation items just return a "I don't know how to answer that" or some such thing.
So "Stop navigation", "show alternative routes", etc do not work. And since you cannot access the Waze options on phone while connected to AA, I don't see any way to stop a navigation without quitting the Waze app on the phone.
Old 02-18-2020 | 09:38 AM
-- Instructor --

It sounds as if the Talk To/Listen For OK Waze option is off or not set to Google Assistant. When launching Waze under AA, can you set the following? Sorry I don't use normally Waze myself, but do have it running under AA.

Because the Waze version I have is v4.50.04 the only option I have is to use the Google Assistant. I enabled that and will try this evening.

Regards ----------------

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/7580507?hl=en

Old 02-18-2020 | 09:54 AM
Advanced

Talk to Waze/ Google assistant is on... and works if not using AA.
But when you connect to AA, the nav options don't go to Waze once you start navigating.
So I can say "navigate to work" and it will say "sending to waze " and then start navigating.
But after that, no navigation commands are understood by AA , and they don't get sent to waze. (and trying "ok, waze" also doesn't do anything if AA is running.)
Try it.... I'm on Waze 4.59.0.4

Old 02-18-2020 | 12:04 PM
Drifting

Are you giving the talk button a long press?
Old 02-18-2020 | 12:24 PM
Advanced

no, just saying "ok google".. that starts it the assistant fine...
Old 02-18-2020 | 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rdxny
After "ok, google" starts assistant, try "ask Waze ...". That what I do with Spotify.
Old 02-18-2020 | 04:07 PM
Advanced

"OK Google: ... ask waze to cancel navigation" : "I'm sorry, I don't know how to help with that".
same for the other navigation requests.
Old 02-18-2020 | 08:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Are you giving the talk button a long press?
A short push of the steering wheel button will get the attention of the RDX's Infotainment assistant. This is for things like "Turn on Sirius XM Channel 6", or "Navigate to Home".

You need to push and hold the talk button for a couple of seconds, and then you are talking to the Google assistant. This is for things like "Whats the weather forecast", or "Navigate to Home" (using Google or Waze maps). I like to use it for taking notes while driving.
Old 02-19-2020 | 10:54 AM
Advanced

All true, but not for navigation commands once connected.
I asked Waze, they said:
"Please know that you may not use voice to stop the navigation but you may disable the settings for Google Assistant manually. You may refer to this article for reference. "

Which is less than helpful

Old 03-08-2020 | 09:21 AM
Advanced

Now that WAZE through Android Auto is working well, one nit baffles me. I can say "OK, Google, navigate to blah blah", and it sends that to WAZE and that works. But how do you stop navigating?
If I say "OK, Google, stop navigating", it can't understand that (or anything else I can think of). I assume that's because WAZE on the phone is doing the navigating by then, but I can't talk to WAZE because AA is handling the interface.
I can quit the app on the phone, but I would think there would be a voice command to stop?
This is the reason why I am forced to use Google Maps, the only way I can stop navigation is to manually select the route on the screen and tap the stop icon. Which is distracting if you're driving considering the pad is not the 1:1 touch mode when in AA.

The good thing is you can add stops or search places while it is navigating thru voice. I hope they fix this bug.