The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Weak engine? Huh? Seems to achieve V1 (aviation term) just fine for me. But then I'm not street racing, just leaving Bimmers and Camrys and Avalons and Altimas in my rear view from a like-speed fo 65.

Maybe they're bumping the HP in the US-made Accords and Accord-platforms for a reason (like curb weight).

This subject is so played out. I can just about tell you everyone that is in the "too weak of an engine" camp and those that are in the "quit bitching about lack of HP" club. The fact that you are satisfied with what your car does from 65-80 MPH doesn't mean that I should be satisfied with what it doesn't do at 0-60. I'm ready for a similar car with a more powerful engine. You might be comfortable going 0-60 in a day and a half but some of us are not.

BTW, I agree that your posts are normally very well thought out and written.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXinTN
This subject is so played out. I can just about tell you everyone that is in the "too weak of an engine" camp and those that are in the "quit bitching about lack of HP" club. The fact that you are satisfied with what your car does from 65-80 MPH doesn't mean that I should be satisfied with what it doesn't do at 0-60. I'm ready for a similar car with a more powerful engine. You might be comfortable going 0-60 in a day and a half but some of us are not.

Can't fault anyone for being in either of those camps.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know Acura is trying to be practicle with their mpg #'s thus the minuscule power updates, but they should have done their power updates (gearing change) and also at least given 10 more ponies with the added tq. just to surpass their 1G but still don't kill their fuel economy.
I think they could have kept their same or 1mpg lower with only 10hp.
The 205 hp rating to 201hp is kind of a :rippedoff all wrapped into one.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

I'm not realy sure why I expected them to make the new TSX a whole lot better in terms of performance, maybe because they have done so up until now. I like Acura so much that I wanted them to give us something to move up to that wasn't a boat car. The TSX walks the fine line of being small enough to be sporty, big enough to be comfortable, the TL crosses the line. It might say TL-S on it but who are we kidding, a car that size isn't fun to throw around and everybody knows it.

Interestingly the Honda Odyssey is said to be overpowered now. Honda is making some counter intuitive choices.

I was also bothered by the Civic-si replacing the RSX - I hope that was just a PR line and not the actual reasoning behind that move because I'd still take the slower more expensive RSX over the Civic Si and they just naturaly assumed people like me wouldn't. Thanks for nothing.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 PM
05 S2000, 07 SI

Originally Posted by wackura
I'm not realy sure why I expected them to make the new TSX a whole lot better in terms of performance, maybe because they have done so up until now. I like Acura so much that I wanted them to give us something to move up to that wasn't a boat car. The TSX walks the fine line of being small enough to be sporty, big enough to be comfortable, the TL crosses the line. It might say TL-S on it but who are we kidding, a car that size isn't fun to throw around and everybody knows it.

Interestingly the Honda Odyssey is said to be overpowered now. Honda is making some counter intuitive choices.

I was also bothered by the Civic-si replacing the RSX - I hope that was just a PR line and not the actual reasoning behind that move because I'd still take the slower more expensive RSX over the Civic Si and they just naturaly assumed people like me wouldn't. Thanks for nothing.
I don't know - I really like the TL-S -- even with it's large size - it handles brilliantly... even the Japanese agree! :-P

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/us...f-4/4289308937
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/check-out-my-new-21-3-monitor-%2Apics%2A-151884/
Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Banned

I don't think the current TL is even available in Japan.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSXinTN
... The fact that you are satisfied with what your car does from 65-80 MPH doesn't mean that I should be satisfied with what it doesn't do at 0-60. I'm ready for a similar car with a more powerful engine. You might be comfortable going 0-60 in a day and a half but some of us are not.
7.2 (even less on some timeslips) seconds is hardly a day and half, but you're just not going to see much more oomph without forced induction. A V6 just won't fit comfortably in small car engine bay.

On that note, VW is selling some similar sized and nicely equipped cars (2.0T Jetta's, GLI, and GTI) that will do 0-60 in roughly 6 seconds, and this is with their "automatic" (actually a DSG, very cool tranny).

Honda is a fairly conservative car company with a successful formula -- I see them moving in small steps as they have done in the past. Those of you expecting huge power increases are likely to continue to be disappointed, so you might consider another make.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 AM
7th Gear

So what about the coupe? The TSX coupe has been rumored for a while and there seems to be very little interest or information here and elsewhere.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
But then I'm not street racing, just leaving Bimmers and Camrys and Avalons and Altimas in my rear view from a like-speed of 65.
I only meant, I'm not craving 0-60 times that set records, so much as responsiveness at speed when I need it. I've driven cars that took a moment to consider my input after I stomped the gas pedal. Not this one.

Thanks for all the compliments. I can appreciate and respect those who want a better 0-60 time in the TSX, but as an affordable, entry-level, upscale "sporty" sedan, is it a reasonable demand? If you want really bitchin' 0-60 times, you can find that in a true sports car or sports sedan. The TSX is a hybrid that compromises between several sell points IMHO: value, fun to drive, affordable, modicum of luxury. I drove an 2005 Accord V6 before driving a 2005 TSX, and I can tell you there was a clear disparity in responsiveness.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Weak engine? Huh? Seems to achieve V1 (aviation term) just fine for me. But then I'm not street racing, just leaving Bimmers and Camrys and Avalons and Altimas in my rear view from a like-speed fo 65.

Maybe they're bumping the HP in the US-made Accords and Accord-platforms for a reason (like curb weight).

Not sure what year Bimmers, Camrys, Avalons or Altimas you're referring to... but for same spirit and style of driving, you won't see them in your rear view mirror.

Maybe you're happy with speed from 65 to 80 with the TSX. I don't believe that first generation was underpowered for that late 03 release. Car handles well, somewhat "entry" level price point for luxury taste, good looking and goot features.

But now we're talking about 2008 release, 2nd generation TSX. 205 HP? same performance output (I haven't driven it, so let's say there is difference in driving) compared to the 2004? I still say underpowered, weak, or whatever you want to call it.

We don't need 300-400 HP like the new M3, S4 or any other high priced performance cars. But for 30k dollar car, I'd expect at least few ponies bump from the previous model. same HP as civic SI? are we going to be revving high as SI to get that car moving?

I don't buy cars to street race OR track race. I'm a driver of an Accord Coupe v6 with AUTOMATIC tranny, I bought it for price/features/comfort. I can't remember the last time I actually drove faster than 80mph.. I barely even go over 3k RPM on my car. So trying to beat the next car is not the point I'm trying to make from power arguement, so please don't get me wrong.

Part of my disappointment in "weak" engine is that lack of 0-60mph power. Again, to get that 7.2 seconds or whatever they're claiming, you'll be revving that engine fairly high to get that amount of time/speed.

Have you driven TL's, Altima, maxima with v6 engines? Again, not talking about burning your tires off the line, but going up that hill from red light makes it MUCH smoother and effortless with bigger engine or more power.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by phlsteve
So what about the coupe? The TSX coupe has been rumored for a while and there seems to be very little interest or information here and elsewhere.
I don't know if I would call it a TSX coupe since no platform for this 'mystery car' is known. All the talk about a coupe has mostly been in forums and not much from Acura themselves. We know they want to do a coupe, but it has ALWAYS been planned for release AFTER the new TSX and TL. Based on this knowledge, it is not late in arriving, and based on this, we shouldn't expect to hear any 'noise' on this till after the TSX (and probably the TL) are released.

Originally Posted by ex2k4
I'm a driver of an Accord Coupe v6 with AUTOMATIC tranny..... I barely even go over 3k RPM on my car.......... you'll be revving that engine fairly high to get that amount of time/speed.
I've trimmed your post to highlight the areas I'm replying to. Personally, I think that you should feel fortunate that HMC is building cars that you enjoy. You may not remember, but Honda resisted making an Accord with a V-6 for YEARS! The first Odyssey had the 2.2 4 cylinder because Honda knew the 4 was all that was needed to move the car. The fact that Americans wanted the 6 did not matter to them.

Of course they eventually came around, due in no small part to Dick Colliver and Tom Elliot who campaigned for the J series to be built.

The point of all this is that posters here seem to fall into two camps. Old Honda purists who appreciate the older B series type engines where they revved to 8K and spun like a little turbines. These cars followed the Honda axiom of maximum efficiency and light weight. These cars (CRX, Civic Si, S2000, Integra type-R) all used this philosophy and it's not lost in me that all the legendary Honda/Acuras are powered by 4 cylinders (not counting the NSX).

On the other side, we have a group that like the V-6 engines and their torque. These more "Americanized" vehicles like V-6 Accords, the huge new Odysseys, Pilots, Ridgelines are largely responsible for Honda's huge surge in growth in the last decade. Rising to #2 in Japan and making the company as big as it has become.

The TSX seems to straddle the two camps and maybe this is why it generates so much discussion. I tend to lean towards the 'old' Honda philosophy so I always pine for the F22C from my S2000 in a TSX-R but I know it will never happen. It makes me sad to see the redlines (in general) continue to get lower and by the same token, I'll be sad to see the car get a V-6.

Anyway, my
Old 02-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, that's enough typing for today...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 PM
6MT or Death

since this threat is full of rumors I'd like to start a new one. I'm told by dealers there will be a tsx with gullwing doors and a functioning flux capacitor. Official release date is August 12th at 5 pm eastern standard mountain time. The 22 inch rims on this bad boy are gonna be sweet.

flux capacitor ftw

I should mention the dealers who told me about this only deal PCP, but dealers nonetheless.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Am I the only one that's extremely happy that the DVD-Audio system has finally trickled down to the TSX?

Not sure how I feel about those front fenders though.. Ugh, just looks like such an afterthought. I will save my final judgment for when I see it in person though!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dj
I'm told by dealers there will be a tsx with gullwing doors and a functioning flux capacitor.
You can buy one now! Just a little over 200!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
6MT or Death

Good find, but until the new tsx comes out we still need to use a piggy back k pro setup to get that hot shit working. well done colin.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by AccessPhoto.com
Am I the only one that's extremely happy that the DVD-Audio system has finally trickled down to the TSX?
I am with you. I almost bought a TL back in 04 based on the ELS sound system. I preferred the TSX in every other regard. And that is what I drive today.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AccessPhoto.com

Not sure how I feel about those front fenders though.. Ugh, just looks like such an afterthought. I will save my final judgment for when I see it in person though!
I am happy that the player will play discs with MP3's, and the sound system overall but happy about it playing DVD-Audio? Considering DVD-Audio has been a failure as a format and there are very few titles available since its launch in 2000, I don't see it as being a big deal at all. I am more happy about the USB/iPod Interface.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Instructor

I understand the light weight philosophy and stuff, but that was was back then when cars weren't porkers like they are today. I would think increased weight would lead to more power to move it. And the redlining thing, I love red lining my TSX as much as the next person, but thats usually when i'm by myself. Its just not practical to rev that high to get the power we want on a daily bases. Also some V6's like Nissan's VQ and BMW's inline 3.0 have 7k redlines too don't they?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LaZyPiGgY
I understand the light weight philosophy and stuff, but that was was back then when cars weren't porkers like they are today. I would think increased weight would lead to more power to move it. And the redlining thing, I love red lining my TSX as much as the next person, but thats usually when i'm by myself. Its just not practical to rev that high to get the power we want on a daily bases. Also some V6's like Nissan's VQ and BMW's inline 3.0 have 7k redlines too don't they?
So what are you trying to say?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Instructor

^ not really sure. I think i'm just talking just to talk. Won't mind a V6 or turbo 4 though.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 AM

"THIS JUST IN..."

Not sure who else has received this from Acura's news mailing list....

LInk leads HERE. Looks like the same press release as that "print version" Colin(?) posted, but I haven't read it word for word to confirm. (Maybe someone who isn't at work can do that...?)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Instructor

ok this is what acura said about the 2009 acura tsx..

An all-aluminum DOHC I-VTEC in-line 4 cylinder engine.Including dual balance shafts and a direct ignition system.cleaner epa's
So its displacing 2.4-liters and producing 201 hp and 172 lb=ft of torque.(with manual transmission.

this also is something i know a lot of txs'ers would like to hear.this is what it says
''The new in-line 4 cylinder engine produces its useable power across a much qider rpm range.while 5 percet nire torque further strengthens the engine's pulling power at middle rmp level.

Also 2 transmissions are available.. well im not gonna write everything lol so here's the link
http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?init...hicles_2009TSX
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

That's been on Acura's site for weeks now under the Future Vehicles link on the main page. The press release came out on Feb 14th.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Originally Posted by offsight204

An all-aluminum DOHC I-VTEC in-line 4 cylinder engine.Including dual balance shafts and a direct ignition system.cleaner epa's
So its displacing 2.4-liters and producing 201 hp and 172 lb=ft of torque.(with manual transmission.

this also is something i know a lot of txs'ers would like to hear.this is what it says
''The new in-line 4 cylinder engine produces its useable power across a much qider rpm range.while 5 percet nire torque further strengthens the engine's pulling power at middle rmp level.

Also 2 transmissions are available.. well im not gonna write everything lol so here's the link

Yes we know. All that info was posted back on Feb 14th on page 71 of this thread (which is noted in the subject of this thread which is " The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Detailed Specifications & Features (Page 71)**")
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by offsight204

Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeTSX
Yes we know. All that info was posted back on Feb 14th on page 71 of this thread (which is noted in the subject of this thread which is " The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Detailed Specifications & Features (Page 71)**")
Hey, now. Flamethrowers off, please. =>
... Looks like the same press release as that "print version" Colin(?) posted, but I haven't read it word for word to confirm. (Maybe someone who isn't at work can do that...?)
I didn't claim it was new information, only that it was a "new" e-mail (the date is clearly visible in my screen shot).
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Accord at Geneva

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...show_2008.html
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM

I see what you guys mean about the fenders ... not only does it look like it was artfully created with a huge paint brush, but it interrupts the longitudinal crease running front to back. Bleagh.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 AM

I'm probably going to need my Teflon parka here, but had anyone seen these posts from that Auto Express site?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...da_accord.html
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
TSX Lover

I'm probably going to need my Teflon parka here, but had anyone seen these posts from that Auto Express site?

Sorry, these have been out since 2/11 on vtec.net and mentioned here many times.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Hey, now. Flamethrowers off, please. =>
That was hardly a "flame". Just stating a fact. :wink:
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
for EVER more!

reading the last 5 pages and the links you all provide, I'm thinking that if they offer that deisel in 2010 or 2011, I might jump on it considering what crude oil prices are doing right now. my 2006 tsx has 28 k mi (which could be on the low end here) - but to be honest, the greatest thing about our cars is that they look sharp, and have a huge host of amenities for a very reasonable price. Now, granted the Acura badge may be losing its lustre here (esp in that nasty grille) but let's also see the new TL before calling the brand dead. We talk about more power with BMW, Lexus, Infinity, etc - but look at how much those cars depreciate the second they drive off the lot. our TSX was one of the least depreciating cars in 2006 and 2007 (porsche was the only brand that beat us - WSJ).

Yes looks are important -but they are not everything to most of us, which is why not all of us have body kits and fins on our TSXs. I like the looks of the Infiniti G and the 525 but would I actually buy one cause it looks good? Not unless I suddenly lose my Y chromosome.

Acura puts together an all inclusive vehicle for the "Young Professional" (my demo). It's an accord with bells on and features standard, just like the Lexus ES is a camry. Thats our brand and our car. If you don't like that - this isn't your car. It never will be. Not the 09 model or until they change the philosophy behind the car.

What makes this car the car we love is the ENTIRE package. Not just the front end.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Wow, the white one with the different wheels and what appears to be a Honda Access or Modulo front bumper looks pretty good. Maybe the A-Spec body kit will save this car...

Now if they could only do something about the performance...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Hail Hail

C&D has some new pics from Geneva.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
The Designer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Wow, the white one with the different wheels and what appears to be a Honda Access or Modulo front bumper looks pretty good. Maybe the A-Spec body kit will save this car...

I was thinkin the same thing. The white one looks ok and all the other ones look like ass. It must be the ridiculously small wheels & wheel gaps on the other ones that are making the difference. I wonder if it is a higher end version.

Are wheel arches the new "bell bottom"? Seems like ever since the S class every car has them.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Hail Hail

The white tourer looks good imo, but the front fender seems more rounded? Also, the wheel gaps seem closer than the other official pics.

Honda Accord pics
Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Hail Hail

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

It looks like the white one's front fender is more rounded? Maybe it's just an illusion.

So, goes on sale in June in Europe, and April in America?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Two pics from the above link:

The rear looks better than what I remember from the focus group.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtic FC
C&D has some new pics from Geneva.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/aut...ew-photos.html

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**