The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikey, thank you. Awesome. I think I'll drop by Honda/Infinity to touch it, but its cool to know that the voice recognition is that good.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anthrwf1
Mikey, thank you. Awesome. I think I'll drop by Honda/Infinity to touch it, but its cool to know that the voice recognition is that good.
Yea, it truly is impressive (and I don't impress easily with technology). I can set a destination in about 30 seconds while driving and never touching anything but the VR button on the steering wheel. Tell it what city, street name, etc. Works flawlessly 99% of the time. Also, all the important HVAC and radio controls are voice activated. I never use the knob.

I'm speaking about the MDX and RL. I think the TSX has a more limited vocabulary, however, it's the same system and is just as accurate. Regardless, I'd suspect the new 09 TSX will have all the VR functions (and then some) that my 08 MDX offers.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM
6MT or Death

All, sorry if this is fickle, but I am hesitant about the navigation system. This looks weird to me with the knob instead of a "touch screen". Do any other current cars (that I can look at) have this kind of system so I can see what is like? I am debating picking up an '08 or picking up an '09. This info would actually help me.
If history serves as an indicator then the center area (nav, radio, etc) of the new TSX won't be identical to the Euro Accord. If you look at the last generation our steering wheels were similar, but our gauge display differed and so did the radio/nav area. Here's hoping the trend continues .
Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Intermediate

Its a rotten shame

If the Nissan Maxima and Saturn Aura had an illigitimate child, this would be it. Shame on you, Acura. Where are the elongated foglight cutouts with chrome detail from the sports 4 concept? Why do the headlights bubble away from the car? Some white LED angel lights on the front would have been cool, too. You had it in you to deliver the design of the sports four. Insted, we get a very pedestrian design. For your sake, I hope the interior rocks and you deliver the turbo, because design wise, this car isn't worth the hype.

PS the RDX wants their rims back.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Intermediate

All, sorry if this is fickle, but I am hesitant about the navigation system. This looks weird to me with the knob instead of a "touch screen". Do any other current cars (that I can look at) have this kind of system so I can see what is like? I am debating picking up an '08 or picking up an '09. This info would actually help me.
doesnt MBZ and BMW have this? i think they do
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by zendrive
If the Nissan Maxima and Saturn Aura had an illigitimate child, this would be it. Shame on you, Acura. Where are the elongated foglight cutouts with chrome detail from the sports 4 concept? Why do the headlights bubble away from the car? Some white LED angel lights on the front would have been cool, too. You had it in you to deliver the design of the sports four. Insted, we get a very pedestrian design. For your sake, I hope the interior rocks and you deliver the turbo, because design wise, this car isn't worth the hype.

PS the RDX wants their rims back.
well, there won't be a turbo anyways, unless there is a type-s and people are complaining no touch screen because honda is moving away from it. if you guys want the touchscreen you may have to go to another car company or buy a leftover 2008 TSX.

i know nissan/infiniti has both touchscreen and the knob in order to operate the navi. does toyota/lexus also have touchscreen and the knob too?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Go Big Blue!

Touchscreen AND the knob would be the best of both worlds.

Yes, Toyota/Lexus uses touchscreen on their nav systems (as far as I've seen) I haven't been in every model that had a nav system, but I've been in Toyota Sienna, Lexus GS, Lexus ES, Lexus GX. All had nav and all used touchscreens with no knob
Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 TSX...we'll start taking deposit....yay...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I rarely use the touchscreen in my 08 TSX. I use the voice commands alot. I'm to the point where I can just blow through the commands quickly because I know what's coming next. In fact, As hot as the chick's voice is, I've turned her off for the most part. I wouldn't miss the touchscreen at all.

I know when the interface dial came out in the RL, I hated it. Then they started using it on the RDX and MDX. I actually love it now and other than the voice commands is my prefered way of controlling everything. I'm used to it now and it's like second nature to have my hand on it controlling everything.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2009 TSX exterior looks great! Can't wait to see the interior (not the Accord interior).
Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Berserker (+9)

Originally Posted by surf4fun0418
Alright....um lets see. This car has

Bumpers - check
Tail lights - check
Headlights - check
Doors - check
Windows - check
Handles - check
Wheels - check

and lets not forget
Logos - CHECK!

Now you say if you have a wild enough imagination.....but I really can't see it. Can you help......

buhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

from the info, they are using a S mode and shifter. is that the same thing as DSG gearbox?

btw, is S mode really makes the car faster than D mode?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by boy1pow
....btw, is S mode really makes the car faster than D mode?
What?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mokos23
well, there won't be a turbo anyways, unless there is a type-s and people are complaining no touch screen because honda is moving away from it. if you guys want the touchscreen you may have to go to another car company or buy a leftover 2008 TSX.

i know nissan/infiniti has both touchscreen and the knob in order to operate the navi. does toyota/lexus also have touchscreen and the knob too?
Perhaps the Turbo won't come until 2010? I hadn't heard that the turbo wouldn't be offered in 2009. Thanks for mentioning that. I dont have time to read all the posts in this thread.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
There will be a turbo in 2009. It's already been officially confirmed. It's called i-DTEC.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE=cbusAcuracls]I show my wife (currently driving an 07 tsx) these more aggressive looking diesel accord pics and she said "pretty"... /QUOTE]OMFG, even with more aggressive styling, it's still a "chick car." (joke)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Go Big Blue!

[QUOTE=davidspalding]
Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
I show my wife (currently driving an 07 tsx) these more aggressive looking diesel accord pics and she said "pretty"... /QUOTE]OMFG, even with more aggressive styling, it's still a "chick car." (joke)
I know you said "joke". But some people think of it that way. of course, I think they are wrong. It's a "young persons" car but not a chick car. I think of a car like VW Beatle, or even an Audi TT, as a chick car. Something ridiculously small and impractical where the best word to describe it is "cute".
Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I know you said "joke". But some people think of it that way. of course, I think they are wrong. It's a "young persons" car but not a chick car. I think of a car like VW Beatle, or even an Audi TT, as a chick car. Something ridiculously small and impractical where the best word to describe it is "cute".
I agree...even though my wife does drive one I def. don't think this car is a chick car. I am planning on getting a new one when they are available. Might even wait a year to see if a type S is available if not...I'll take the I-Dtec.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Originally Posted by OUTATIME
Ok, I lifted these pics off of the Geneva Auto show website:

That front reminds me of current Mugen lower lip with bigger fog holes..
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
I agree...even though my wife does drive one I def. don't think this car is a chick car. I am planning on getting a new one when they are available. Might even wait a year to see if a type S is available if not...I'll take the I-Dtec.
I think you guys are applying the term as meaning, "I'd put a gf/wife/little sister in one." Not as in, women like it, for whatever reasons (it's cute, it's good value, it's fun, it's versatile, her girl friends like it, she thinks it'll attract men, it's "pretty").
Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Go Big Blue!

Of course I don't know what you exactly meant. But when someone calls a vehicle a "chick car" or a "hairdresser car" I believe most take that to mean it's a car that almost always is bought by women and is not the kind of car you'd usually see a guy in. A VW beatle falls into that category. My example of a Audi TT roadster also was a car that came to mind. An Acura TSX does not. It's probably close to 50/50 on the gender. Anyone have stats on that?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wackura

Does anybody know what those recessed buttons on the lower right side of the steering wheel would do?
wow still no keyless engine start?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by n3ok318
wow still no keyless engine start?

Keyless start is a nice feature, yes, but to be honest I'm kind of glad they don't have it just equally. They've shown that cars with the 'push button' start at that much easier to steal. I'm willing to take the extra 5 seconds it takes to get the keys out of my pocket, turn the key, and then get going in attempt to deter an theives already after a TSX.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Go Big Blue!

I'm very surprised also that it doesnt have "comfort access" as BMW calls it. If you've had it on another car then you've gotten VERY used to it and appreciate the convenience. To me it's a "must have" on any luxury (or near luxury) vehicle. Acura says they want to be Tier 1 but do this kind of odd stuff. It's like watching a cheap Japanese Godzilla movie. Their mouths are moving, but they don't sync up with the words.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Racer

Of course I don't know what you exactly meant. But when someone calls a vehicle a "chick car" or a "hairdresser car" I believe most take that to mean it's a car that almost always is bought by women and is not the kind of car you'd usually see a guy in. A VW beatle falls into that category. My example of a Audi TT roadster also was a car that came to mind. An Acura TSX does not. It's probably close to 50/50 on the gender. Anyone have stats on that?
I do actually.

Average Age 28-34

50% Married, often from households with "Dual Income, No Kids", 50% Single

85 percent College Graduates

Average Household Income of $90,000

Most Common Profession: Entry-Level to Middle Manager
Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

... Anyone have stats on that?
Search for a thread (one of many, I suppose) asking "is the TSX a chick car," I believe Edmunds (?) had year by year stats on buyers ... one year, it was 53% female, the next year 47% or so. IIRC.

I hear you guys. It's funny how when a woman says, "it's pretty," and someone smacks the "chick car" label on it due to appealing to the fairer sex, defensiveness looms like a red traffic light. Pavlovian response, I'd say. It's OKAY that the TSX appeals to gals, let's just get over it and move on.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Search for a thread (one of many, I suppose) asking "is the TSX a chick car," I believe Edmunds (?) had year by year stats on buyers ... one year, it was 53% female, the next year 47% or so. IIRC.

I hear you guys. It's funny how when a woman says, "it's pretty," and someone smacks the "chick car" label on it due to appealing to the fairer sex, defensiveness looms like a red traffic light. Pavlovian response, I'd say. It's OKAY that the TSX appeals to gals, let's just get over it and move on.
Agreed. That being said it's just one of those things like TSX vs (insert ANY car here), AT vs MT, or any other opinion based discussion that has a tendency to pop up here. It will keep popping as people: A. Think of it, and B. Don't search.

BTW this thread has gotten more out of control than the old Friday PW threads we all used to know and love.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
08 MDX with Sports

It can't be a chick car, chicks have BMW, Benz, Lexus, Jettas lol..
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surf4fun0418
^gotcha

Hmm, after looking at it back and forth for a while....something dawned on me.

This may have been brought up.....maybe I'm the only one that think this....but it is starting to look like a beefed up, more aggressive camry to me.

Maybe it's just me....
put side-to-side like that, i'd say its not just you. if toyota wanted to release a true TRD camry or something, i'd say that'd be it...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
put side-to-side like that, i'd say its not just you. if toyota wanted to release a true TRD camry or something, i'd say that'd be it...

That makes me feel better. haha
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

big square back end makes me think monte carlo.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

That's the stretch to end all stretches.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

not really. i was talking specifically the back end, for one.

the bottom corners are very square. moreso on the chevy, but the honda is also pretty bad. the rear overhangs are both pretty substantial.

notice that nowhere in my post did i say that honda exactly duplicated the monte carlo. but it did remind me of it.

seems like the refresh is just a big friggin boat compared to the 1st gen
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by OUTATIME

This looks way better than the regular looking one. If it looks like this and has
AWD I'd get it.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Pretty much.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
not really. i was talking specifically the back end, for one.

the bottom corners are very square. moreso on the chevy, but the honda is also pretty bad. the rear overhangs are both pretty substantial.

notice that nowhere in my post did i say that honda exactly duplicated the monte carlo. but it did remind me of it.

seems like the refresh is just a big friggin boat compared to the 1st gen
It's one thing to dislike the broadness of the back end of the new TSX but it's another to compare it the Monte Carlo, which has extremely little in common with the car otherwise. They're two different equations.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Did anyone notice that apart from this white "sporty" sedan version of the Accord, the Tourer also has a white "sporty" version there too! I saw the pics from the link that someone provided earlier. That Tourer looked HOT!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Reacting to what someone DIDN'T say does not make a compelling retort...

This is what he said. Stop putting other words or inferences in this mouth....
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
big square back end makes me think monte carlo.
Try this equation, Wack:

"...makes me think" != "duplicates"
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

It's one thing to dislike the broadness of the back end of the new TSX but it's another to compare it the Monte Carlo, which has extremely little in common with the car otherwise. They're two different equations.
i agree. it has extremely little in common with the car otherwise. but again, i never said it has a lot in common with the car. just a huge square back end.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM

"Makes me think Monte Carlo... " != "it duplicates the Monte Carlo"
"it is starting to look like a beefed up, more aggressive Camry to me..." != "look alike"

Yeesh guys, making comparisons is subjective, we don't have to trounce each other for having a certain impression to share. There's plenty of room here for everyone's opinions to coexist. Everyone hug now and be friends...

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**