The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About my quote about wanting the 1 series, its not about the price, we own an S500, I am just a 24 yr old girl who wants a cute, quick and fun car. I want one more fast car before I have kids and have to get an SUV. 2 door or 4 door, it doesn't matter to me, I just want it to be fun to drive! I live in Miami so snow is not an issue, just looks, quickness and comfort. I love my 05 TSX and I havent made up my mind about which car, and i will obviously wait til the actual release of the new TSX.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
Good point. Too bad it's horrible on gas though.

Well the TSX would presumably weigh about 500 pounds less.

If they cut the boost on it , and tuned it for hp and not torque, wouldnt a 245hp / 220 torque TSX

that gets 3mpg less be not too bad?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Red@8
The F20 (?) for the s2000 would fall into that category as well right? What about the fit and insight? Not arguing with you just want to see if it has been done before?!?!?
Judging from what I've seen, the F series and K series seem similar in architecture and the way the block and heads are assembled (not counting i-VTEC). I've always been of the opinion that the K is the 'mass-produced' F series and the development of the F was more than paid for but sales of the K.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by montebello13
^ you ok colin? you went a lil crazy there....

Well what do you expect him to do after seeing the 09 Monstrosities? For Pete's sake he has to sell those Fuglies

GodSpeed Colin, Godspeed
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I love the cnet Car Tech videos. Here's a new one that focuses on the outgoing 2008 A4. I kinda had a chuckle on his review. Isn't this car a DSG?

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2008-a....html?tag=more
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 AM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trix7381
About my quote about wanting the 1 series, its not about the price, we own an S500, I am just a 24 yr old girl who wants a cute, quick and fun car. I want one more fast car before I have kids and have to get an SUV. 2 door or 4 door, it doesn't matter to me, I just want it to be fun to drive! I live in Miami so snow is not an issue, just looks, quickness and comfort. I love my 05 TSX and I havent made up my mind about which car, and i will obviously wait til the actual release of the new TSX.
You sure? Your profile says you are 25, about to be 26?!?

Seriously, all valid points you make.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Trix7381
About my quote about wanting the 1 series, its not about the price, we own an S500, I am just a 24 yr old girl who wants a cute, quick and fun car. I want one more fast car before I have kids and have to get an SUV. ...
Trixie (couldn't resist) you don't HAVE to get an SUV or a minivan (though I did; the Sienna was a superb family carry-all) with a kid. You just want great crash test results and amenities to keep baby safe and snuggly.

In fact, one of the things that I did NOT get the TSX for, but I discovered upon putting my (5 yo) daughter in the back for the first time, is it has those highly sought after wide opening rear doors that let you get in over a child to buckle up. I can do it easy-as-pie on my 2006.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Really BAD news if it's true (and the source is good: Autocar):

Honda has no plans to launch a hot Type-R version of the new Accord, according to well placed sources.
The all-new model, which is making its debut at the Geneva show later this month, doesn’t fit the Type-R brand according to insiders. ‘A Type-R Accord would not suit the character of the car or our target audience’ said one.

Honda is making it clear that it wants the new saloon and estate to finally propel the company into competing with more premium marques such as BMW and Audi, but it's not ruling out sporty derivatives altogether. The plan is to offer more aggressive body kits and lowered suspension in the same vein as Audi’s extremely successful S-line models.

However they will be powered by the normal engine line up: a choice of 154bhp 2.0-litre and 197bhp 2.4-litre petrol engines and a new 148bhp 2.0-litre diesel. A more powerful version of this diesel is also in the wings.

The new Accord saloon arrives in showrooms in June, while the Tourer goes on sale in September.

Bye, bye Turbo.. or V6... What we should expect next??
Old 02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

FIRST EUROPEAN TEST DRIVE of the Accord 2008 (TSX 2009).
It's the diesel one.

We've just driven Honda's new iDTEC diesel engine installed in the current Accord. This will go on sale as the range-topping diesel unit in the all-new Accord due next summer.

It's still a 2.2-litre, but heavily modified, with improved combustion and a particulate filter. And this time round there will be two states of tune: the lower-powered one promises around 155bhp and will also have the option of an auto 'box for the first time. The meatier engine is likely to be a manual-only at launch, and you'll get 180bhp to play with.

Both engines are promising more refinement and more punch than the current 140bhp motor, although an insider admitted that they are unlikely to serve up extra economy and lower emissions as the new Accord is lardier than the current one.

On the move the new diesel feels like a sophisticated device. Less noise filters into the cabin
than with the current diesel engine, and it settles down to become an extremely quiet cruiser, especially the lower-powered car.

Both engines felt usefully punchier too, even with the smooth-shifting auto fitted; that's likely to be tempered a little by the new Accord's extra weight.

Either way it's further proof that despite a late start Honda is really getting to grips with diesel. Our quick test track drive proved that its capable of matching BMW, Audi and Merc for performance and refinement.

If the next year's Accord is as good as its diesel engine, it's likely to be some car.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

It's strange that a Type-R doesn't fit the character of the Accord now but somehow it did in the late 90's? Did they lose ground or what?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

sorry it's not the new Accord, is only the new engine...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Pro

Honda is making it clear that it wants the new saloon and estate to finally propel the company into competing with more premium marques such as BMW and Audi, but it's not ruling out sporty derivatives altogether. The plan is to offer more aggressive body kits and lowered suspension in the same vein as Audi’s extremely successful S-line models.

????wtf? I'm sorry but Audi's extremely successful S line is more than more aggressive body kits and lowered suspension...Audi's S line also make more power morons!!!! Give us a freaking Type R or better damn!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls

????wtf? I'm sorry but Audi's extremely successful S line is more than more aggressive body kits and lowered suspension...Audi's S line also make more power morons!!!! Give us a freaking Type R or better damn!

well, in fact is not true. The s- line Package in the Audi is only exterior and interior sporty look and gadgets... the engine is entouched. That what Honda means.
Remember the new sporty package for the new american Accord Coupe? Nice 19" wheels, bumpers sporty, and so on. The engine, helas, is the same 268 hp...

Only 3 years ago Audi launched for the A4 s-line a 1.8T (red label) with 190 hp vs the original 163hp, and a 6 speed manual...
The Audi S or RS series (A3, A4, A6, A8, TT) are REALLY more powerful (V8, V10 engines).

Interesting. the Audi for the TT RS is working on a 2.3 Turbo, like the RDX one.
But... they are getting from it 350 hp... Gulp.
s-line package...
Better go to sleep.
Good night Acura.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Advanced

I haven't been following this thread.
But I came across some good pics of 2009 accord
enjoy
here the website
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/02...da-accord.html
Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Very nice. Too bad it's the same car we already have in substance. I feel like the people that come to the TSX after us are lucky enough to get a sportier looking car, but any current owner would be dumb to take on the new debt just to repeat an experiance they've already lived.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Will the 2009 have the Shift Gate Auto?

From the press release...

....while the Sequential SportShift automatic permits fully automatic operation with intelligent features such as Grade Logic Control and Shift Hold Control, which make driving the TSX on hilly or winding roads more enjoyable. If the driver desires, the automatic transmission can also be operated manually via new steering-wheel mounted F1®-style paddle shifters.

Does this mean the 09 will have a straight gate, and that you will only be able to manually shift the Auto with the paddle shifters? It looks like the Euro Accord for 09 lost the gated floor shifter.

That would be a bummer. I like shifting the auto like a stick, and not sure I would want to use the paddle shifters exclusively. Knowing me, I'd try to upshift and turn on the wipers...
Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kixo
Does this mean the 09 will have a straight gate, and that you will only be able to manually shift the Auto with the paddle shifters? It looks like the Euro Accord for 09 lost the gated floor shifter.

That would be a bummer. I like shifting the auto like a stick, and not sure I would want to use the paddle shifters exclusively. Knowing me, I'd try to upshift and turn on the wipers...
On the MDX the automatic is a straight gate but it still has a 'jog' to the left to engage that sport mode. The TL-S has the gated shifter AND paddles and you can use either.

Unfortunately on the RDX gate, you have an 'S' under the 'D' and you can only shift with the paddles. On the plus side, you don't have to engage the 'S' to make a quick shift. If you are in regular drive, you can call for a downshift via the paddles and the car will shift, hold it for a while, then return to regular Drive.

Which one does the new TSX get? Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe we can go back to the Euro Accord photos?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Colin:
Do you have any information about Panorama glass sunroof as an option on the new TSX?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry but very little information is available on interiors. At this point everything we're guessing about is based on the euro Accord info and pics. the NY autoshow is coming up fast!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Thanks. Colin.

I really hope Honda/Acura won't disappoint me in the NY autoshow.
They say they want more difference between Honda and Acura. Providing more luxury option will be a good move.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by krio

Honda is making it clear that it wants the new saloon and estate to finally propel the company into competing with more premium marques such as BMW and Audi,

HAHA this thread cracks me up! You gotta step it up a bit more Honda/Acura before you can honestly be considered a competitor of BMW and Audi.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Banned

It's funny that they even talk about trying to up their game when you can count the change in horsepower and number of new features added to their brand new model on one hand. I realy don't understand why they're giving us the reach around. Why not admit they like things the way they are? Is that so impossible?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Intermediate

guys just one question with all these complains about hp, does it make us hp hungry, reason for this b/c im on vacation in china for 3 weeks after seeing an 2.4L engine on an audi A8L on the road today it really gets me wondering
Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

Other luxury manufacturers offer more horsepower. The issue isn't that I want more horsepower as much as they implied they were going to provide it when they talk about being the Japanese BMW. They must be the worst procrastinators in the automotive world. Did they get hooked on opium? Several years have passed and all they have to show for it is an improved intake, or something vague like that. Maybe they were inspired by their bong.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:58 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aznriceball
guys just one question with all these complains about hp, does it make us hp hungry, reason for this b/c im on vacation in china for 3 weeks after seeing an 2.4L engine on an audi A8L on the road today it really gets me wondering

That boils down to geography and population. Asia and europe for the most part dont have the open roads that we have. Look at the general size of cars in china,india, a lot of europe they are way smaller. Going 40mph on a hiway in India would be a miracle as that would be blazing fast. Going 40mph on a hiway in north america would have you pulled out of your car and beaten, with the video if the beating uploaded to youtube shortly after.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
The Designer

I never expected the new TSX to be a racecar and I do find the current HP wars between companies rather silly, especially in a time of high gas prices, however I think the TSX needs a modest bump as many people complained that it was rather sluggish. I think around 250 would be the sweet spot for a standard engine.

I also think the diesel makes sense as many manufacturers are starting to bring them over here, it's a good marketing move to be one of the first.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Instructor

I agree with someone else that said how Asia and Europe they don't go so fast. It's just us Americans that want the power. 2.4L is actually pretty big compared to other cars outside of North America. ie. the 3-series comes in a 318i configuration with a 1.8L engine, even though the smallest one we can get over here is the 328i with the 3.0L.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Racer

Wow, a couple of things....

The looks of the "new TSX" are what should be expected looking at the family lines. As for the power for the new TSX, well let's just say, it looks like Honda/Acura are following their F1 team and going slower and slower comparied to the competition
Was hoping for a little improvement in performance overall, not a sidestep. Overall, I'm guessing the new TSX will perform just like my 1991 Acura Integra did....reliable, good gas mileage, and "peppy". Not quick, or fast, or even aggressive, just peppy. Maybe my sister would like one.

Anyway, gonna be working at the New York Auto Show, so I will be seeing it first hand opening day, hope it's much better in person
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Racer

+1 Maybe my sister would like one. LOL....

I bought the 04 TSX due to ride and handle...was hoping for a little hp/torque increase and SH........I am tired of the fwd tire eating/chipping and I drive moderately...will be looking elsewhere....let us know how the show goes...
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 AM

The only pics I can recall seeing - at Temple of Vtec's article on the new Euro Accord - only showed the interior with a manual. Does anyone recall a pic with an auto (and those paddles) in previous posts?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
the excitement level for the 2009 TSX is overwhelming...hahaha..way to go Acura!!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Instructor

I'm way too unimpressed with the new TSX. I always loved the current TSX. I wanted it very bad when I was purchasing my Accord in 04, but for the same MSRP to discount ratio and 4cyl to V6 ratio, I stuck to the Accord.

I was really hoping to see a stronger version of the TSX. I love the size, luxury and features of the vehicle except for the weak engine... doesn't seem like they have done ANYTHING with anything... Accord had 20hp-ish bump from 7th to 8th generation.. TL had 40HP bump... what's going on??? even the current, but about to be outdated A4 is going to have more power.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Racer

Third generation TSX prototype spy photo...

http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/05/_im...on/moon058.jpg

No flames please as I drive an 04..but do hope they have a surprise in store other than what we have seen..
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 PM
I can't find my garage

-_-
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas

No flames please as I drive an 04..but do hope they have a surprise in store other than what we have seen..
Stop giving Acura ideas.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ex2k4
... except for the weak engine... doesn't seem like they have done ANYTHING with anything... Accord had 20hp-ish bump from 7th to 8th generation.. TL had 40HP bump... what's going on??? ....
Weak engine? Huh? Seems to achieve V1 (aviation term) just fine for me. But then I'm not street racing, just leaving Bimmers and Camrys and Avalons and Altimas in my rear view from a like-speed fo 65.

Maybe they're bumping the HP in the US-made Accords and Accord-platforms for a reason (like curb weight).

Originally Posted by Texas

Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
just leaving Bimmers and Camrys and Avalons and Altimas in my rear view from a like-speed fo 65.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by dom
Lately, a lot of yuppie puppie drivers around here have been doing numbskull moves around me. (E.g. sudden lane changes, no signal, while talking on a phone. Tailgating. One retard pulled in front of me at 65, about 2 car lengths, then BRAKED suddenly to make the exit we were passing, then swerved into the exit, over the white lines, nearly totaling another car.) To avoid these idiots, I drop to 4th and goose the pedal. From 65 to 80 in a few seconds. Let's me put them behind me, and often put another car between us. Not racing. Just sudden speed changes to make a brief move in traffic.

Ergo,.... The "weak" 4-cylinder engine accomplishes this just fine, thank you.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ OK, that explains it. Because I couldn't figure out wtf you were saying in the text that dom quoted. (Particularly since your posts are usually very well written).
Old 02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jlukja
(Particularly since your posts are usually very well written).
Very true and very rare these days....

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**