The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect it will likely be a new v6 configuration different from the Accord's J30 or the TL's J32. The distinction between the TL and TSX is that the latter is smaller and lighter, hence more nimble requiring a small but revvy engine. I'm guessing a displacement between 2.7 - 3.0 liters.

Turbo 6 will not likely happen. The later introduction of the V6 powerplant also tells me that Honda is late on the new engine because of the indecision about a turbo 4 versus the 6 cylinder.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Racer

Premium White Pearl = Current TSX Color
Glacier Blue Pearl = Current TSX Color

Palladium Metallic = New Silver
Crystal Black Pearl = New Black
Vortex Blue Pearl = New Blue
Grigio Metallic = New Gold
Basque Red Pearl = New Red (probably brighter than MR)

Polished Metal Metallic = Carbon Grey (slightly lighter, current TL & RDX color)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt0279a

Polished Metal Metallic = Carbon Grey (slightly lighter, current TL & RDX color)

Carbon Grey has navy blue in it, Polished Metal Metallic is a truer dark grey. (I see what you're getting at, though.)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gt0279a

The basque red color is the same red color on the new Accord sedan. It looks better in person than it does on Honda's "build your car" web site, but it's still not quite the red color I was hoping for. Oh well, I'm sure one of the others will strike my fancy. I wanna see this vortex blue pearl color.

At least some of these colors are different than what is available on Hondas (at least for now). I was hoping for some differentiation in that department.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Look how difficult a time Flounder is having finding a 6-MT manual Navi in a specific color and you get the picture....
Definiterly having a hard time find the 6MT Navi. None of dealers here have one on their lot, the rest in Texas that do have only 1 on hand & it's not the right combo, not to mention that they want mucho mula for it.

Thanks for mentioning me Colin, now I'm almost famous.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounder
Thanks for mentioning me Colin, now I'm almost famous.
More like infamous.....
Old 01-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

The color chart is up!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by silverf16
I suspect it will likely be a new v6 configuration different from the Accord's J30 or the TL's J32. The distinction between the TL and TSX is that the latter is smaller and lighter, hence more nimble requiring a small but revvy engine. I'm guessing a displacement between 2.7 - 3.0 liters.

Turbo 6 will not likely happen. The later introduction of the V6 powerplant also tells me that Honda is late on the new engine because of the indecision about a turbo 4 versus the 6 cylinder.
Even if they are late it shows that you didn't throughly read through what I said, "6 months to a year later". Not only did you just respond, you even went as far as guessing that they would use a V6 variant that would between 2.7-3.0L, which no company would waste time developing a smaller V6 for that purpose when they've squeezed all the juice they could out of their two largest (3.2- & 3.5-) most powerful engines. The time frame suggests that Honda needed more time to work on a high performance variant, considering every engine Honda has ever built (1.6-, 1.8-, 2.0-, 2.5-, 3.0-, 3.2-, 3.5-, & 3.7), which would you chose? The only reason I think Honda even considered a V6 is because many thought it should have one. Who says a car can't be light & nimble because it has a V6, the best small sport sedans all pack one under the hood (i.e.-325i, IS350, g35, etc.) & they are still roughly in the same weight class. No major corporation takes up time experimenting with a technology in one application (RDX-K23T), if they did it once it will happen again. Honda has always been a company to have all their bases covered (reliability & economical) before sending it out to the public. The RDX was merely a test bed, Honda probably has several variations of other turbo engines deciding which one to use is the question they are try to answering.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by archknight
Honda has always been a company to have all their bases covered (reliability & economical) before sending it out to the public.
ROFLMFAO

Where do you get the koolaid you've been drinking?

My 3rd gen TL and just about everyone elses is a plastic rattle box. The manual transmissions shifts like shit. Sure it's "reliable" but it's not a quality vehicle. Far from it... A quick search in the 3rd gen TL section will show you that.

Going back to my previous Acura my CL, I went through 3 transmissions. No reliability there.

Life must be easy when you live in denial...

Honda is conservative and boring... nothing more. And certainly not a company you can brag about quality with. I will say most the TL and RDX I have been in have been decent in quality. But that's where it ends.

Honda is just plan conservative (cheap) and boring... I'm going to sell my rattle box TL sometime soon and it'll be my last glorified Honda. Oh and I have a 2005 /w a whopping 20k miles on it. And it sounds like a box full of plastic toys when I drive... it's just junk.

I've rented 10+ Fords in the last 12 months. Fusons, Mercurys... They all have had better build quality.. Not to mention "Microsofts" SYNC makes Acura's homelink look like a childs toy.

Anyway; I know it's better to say nothing when you have nothing nice to say. I just can't stand the blind Honda/Acura loving. Acura is the joke of the Luxury brands; no one takes them seriously... not even themselfs. iI they did they wouldn't have all of the quality problems they have. And the issues wouldn't repeat year after year.

Perhaps you are thinking of Acura in the early 1990's.... sorry, those days are over.

And yes, I know I'll get the "I must defend my honda loving stance" response. I wont reply... I just can't not respond when people make such large accusations about Honda that are so far off.

I'm $65,000+ into Honda's (all paid off in the last 5-6 years). Both have been over-rated rattle box junk. Honda can't make an automatic, nor a manual. And they slap the cars together so fast they rattle like a childs toy. And for the love of god can they make the door handles on the inside solid mounted. THey always make the entire door panel flex when you push or pull on them. Same with when u put the windows up and down.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Race Director

Wow Siggy you sound bitter man towards Honda/Acura. You make them seem like they're pure evil or something. The current TSX I have may be my last Honda for awhile because I want to look at another car company like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, BMW, or Audi. I don't hate Honda/Acura, but I want a change.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Siggy, how the hell did you find the TSX section? Go back to Ramblings.

But I have to strongly disagree with the MT part of your rant. The TSX MT is fantastic, as is the S2000's and every other MT Honda I've driven. Never tried a MT TL though.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Fords are built better than Hondas.

LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Not to mention "Microsofts" SYNC makes Acura's homelink look like a childs toy.

Not sure why that was brought up when Homelink is not at all exclusive to Acura while Sync is to Ford.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow ... lookit all the chat from the past couple days.... Big ol' THANK YOU to Colin for new info ... nice color chart, but ... where's the silver? NO ASM equilvalent??

I certainly hope they don't make the new ELS sound system an OPTION like it is on the RDX (source: Acura site). It should NOT require an optional package to finally play MP3s on a CD-R in the jukebox. It was promised in the 2008 MY brochure, and not delivered. Harumph.

I think you BMW-obsessed Acura fans need to realise that the TSX, at least in the reviews I read before buying, was cited as being comparable to others in the upscale sedan class, but for a few thou$and less. IOW, a "bargain." A "good buy." A "great value." Sit and meditate on that. My OED defines "comparable" as "(1) able to to be likened to another; similar. (2) of equivalent quality." Read that again, boys. If someone want's performance or accoutrements equal to a 3-series or A4, s/he'll go buy one. I think HMC/Acura aim for a market of young professionals who'd like to save a little dough, get a fun car "like" those others, and with the well-known Honda reliability built-in. Gas consumption is another factor (for me, at least), I don't want a car which gets lousy mileage. I'm not even going to touch the engine discussion, but if the new base TSX gets worse mileage, it will be less of that bargain that reviews heralded.

Memory mirrors ... nice, for cars with two drivers. I hardly need to adjust mine.

"Cooling seats" ... WTH is that? Air conditioning vent up your butt? Yikes. I don't think I should ventilate my butt for the benefit of my passengers.

LED tail lights ... please, God, no. I think it looks cheap, and gimmicky, and some cars' LEDs even blind me at stop lights. Leave us the option to change to LED if we want.

"Bigger, higher butt" ... I want rear window visibility, not billboard space.

DRL/auto on headlights ... I've been told (by a sales guy, granted) that the night sensors on these can be buggy, hence Honda being late to adopt. I had an Auto setting on my Toyota Sienna's lights, and can tell you they always turned on much later/darker than I wanted. Without DRL, my burgundy Starfleet shuttlecraft was kinda hard to see. I often overrode the auto and wondered what benefit it gave.... Oh yeah, it ensured the forgetful wife would have lights on at night; so it was a "chick car" amenity.

I have to confess, my 2006 CPO unit (~44,000 miles) is not a cheap-*** rattle box. It's not supremely-quiet (like the TL I had on loan for a day), but it's not squeaky either. If you have Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD-A or Dolby ProLogic II from a CD, do you CARE if there are minor squeaks or road noise? Crank the Herbie Hancock/Kid Cream Puff/Wagner/Alison Krauss and drive.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
LED tail lights ... please, God, no. I think it looks cheap, and gimmicky, and some cars' LEDs even blind me at stop lights. Leave us the option to change to LED if we want.
I'd take LED lights if the look SOLID red, and not like LEDs. I like the instant-on that they have, but not the look that some manufacturers have chosen to go with.

BTW, cooling seats scare me a bit too....imagine the smells wafting from someone who has been walking around all day in the summer. Now imagine that being "shared" because this person wants to cool down. YECH!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I'd take LED lights if the look SOLID red, and not like LEDs. I like the instant-on that they have, but not the look that some manufacturers have chosen to go with.

BTW, cooling seats scare me a bit too....imagine the smells wafting from someone who has been walking around all day in the summer. Now imagine that being "shared" because this person wants to cool down. YECH!

It sounds like you guys are making excuses as to why you don't have cooled or ventilated seats. They rock. Hell, even the new Dodge Ram and Ford F150 have them, ventilated and cooled, respectively. Why can't an entry level luxury sedan have them? Seriously? A truck shouldn't have more luxury features then a sedan, period.

The whole LED issue is funny. I'm only 18 and I've almost rear ended someone before because I didn't notice their brake lights were on, and I was staring right at them. LED taillights are brighter, quicker, and instant. In-fact, LED taillights actually allow drivers behind you extra stopping distance. LED taillights should be government mandated. (It was an old 4-runner, I think one of the taillights was out and the other was super foggy. But still!)

At this point in time, there should be no "entry-level luxury" vehicle sold without at least the option -- factory option -- to have LED taillights, ventilated seats, etc.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Just02
It sounds like you guys are making excuses as to why you don't have cooled or ventilated seats. They rock. Hell, even the new Dodge Ram and Ford F150 have them, ventilated and cooled, respectively. Why can't an entry level luxury sedan have them? Seriously? A truck shouldn't have more luxury features then a sedan, period.

The whole LED issue is funny. I'm only 18 and I've almost rear ended someone before because I didn't notice their brake lights were on, and I was staring right at them. LED taillights are brighter, quicker, and instant. In-fact, LED taillights actually allow drivers behind you extra stopping distance. LED taillights should be government mandated. (It was an old 4-runner, I think one of the taillights was out and the other was super foggy. But still!)

At this point in time, there should be no "entry-level luxury" vehicle sold without at least the option -- factory option -- to have LED taillights, ventilated seats, etc.
Excuses? Where'd you get that from? Don't project your beliefs on us. I read David's thread and tried to make a funny, lighthearted comment. Nothing more. Never said I didn't want these things, or "make excuses".

David has some pretty interesting opinions, but not for one second did I think he was making excuses for not having the features on the current TSX . His comments are usually his opinion sprinkled in with some funny stuff. Take it that way.

Do us a favor a) don't read to much into what we write here and b) don't start believing your own bullshit....keep an open mind. Where I or David made excuses for anything is lost upon me.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Wow Siggy you sound bitter man towards Honda/Acura. You make them seem like they're pure evil or something. The current TSX I have may be my last Honda for awhile because I want to look at another car company like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, BMW, or Audi. I don't hate Honda/Acura, but I want a change.
If Siggy thinks Honda/Acura's are made cheap..I can't wait for him to buy another manufacturer and get a big dose of reality. Honda/Acura is the only manufacturer that I have ever found that doesn't rattle and realiability is up there. Yes no car manufacturer is perfect but H/A is a hell of alot closer than 85% of other manufacturers. Sell the TL Siggy..we will see you back in a couple years.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Colin
2008 Colors

Exterior:
Premium White Pearl
Palladium Metallic
Polished Metal Metallic
Crystal Black Pearl
Vortex Blue Pearl
Glacier Blue Pearl
Grigio Metallic
Basque Red Pearl

Interior Colors:
Ebony
Taupe
Parchment

I'll scan the leaflet when I'm home this evening

Can't wait for this!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh good grief, the TSX won't have vented seats because (and only because) the cars above it don't offer it. AND that is a different thread altogether....

David, I'm pretty sure that Palladium Metallic will turn out just like the silvers we know and love (vogue, alabaster, billet etc)
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Can't wait for this!
The scan is on my site, my post got buried under siggys rant...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
WTF....where is my carbon grey pearl at.
renamed-but no more milano red-more on the burgandy side
Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,399 Likes on 703 Posts
Arrow 4 Cylinder Diesels: 2009 TSX??

Honda CEO Says Clean Diesel Cars will be Profitable
Reuters | Monday, 14 January 2008

The head of Honda said that the Japanese automaker's yet-to-be released clean diesel cars will be profitable immediately, unlike expensive gasoline-electric hybrid cars that still yield little or no profit after a decade on the market.

"Our diesel cars are going to have an appropriate level of profit from the start," chief executive Takeo Fukui told a small group of reporters in an interview at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

He said Honda's clean diesel cars, to be launched in the United States next year, will not require a urea tank as most European systems do.

The use of aluminum in the cylinder block instead of steel would also allow it to manufacture the engines using its existing gasoline engine facilities, keeping initial investments down, Fukui added.

Honda's new diesel drive train generates and stores ammonia within a two-layer catalytic converter to turn nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen.

The new system will clear the same emissions regulations as gasoline in the United States, Fukui said.

Japan's second-biggest automaker is set to announce later this afternoon the launch of its first ultra-clean diesel car in the United States in 2009, as planned.

Honda's premium Acura brand will be the first to get the four-cylinder diesel engine, Fukui said. Models fueled by V6 diesel engines will follow after 2010, he added.

Diesel cars now make up more than half of Europe's new cars but have a poor image among consumers in the United States, as well as Japan, as being both loud and dirty.

But Fukui said he expected Honda's sale of four-cylinder diesel cars to reach about 150,000 vehicles globally by around 2010 with the planned roll-out in the United States and Japan.

Honda now sells more than 100,000 diesel cars a year, all in Europe.

Honda is also due to begin selling low-cost hybrid cars in 2009. Half of the planned 200,000 units of the hybrid-only family car are bound for North America.

A new hybrid sports car is set to follow, while the mass-volume Civic series will also get the cheap and improved hybrid system with the next remodeling.

Fukui said he expected the new hybrid system would be as profitable as conventional gasoline cars, depending on the cars' selling price.

The chief executive has indicated that he wants to limit the price premium for consumers buying hybrid cars to around 200,000 yen ($NZ2367) to achieve the company's target of powering 10 per cent of its global vehicle sales with hybrid cars by around 2010.

Honda produces its hybrid cars in Japan. While Fukui said he wants to build at least 80 per cent of its cars sold in the United States in North America, he said he was not now thinking of local production of hybrids in the region.

"We may be thinking about local production (in North America) around 2011 or 2012 when our global hybrid sales reach 400,000 to 500,000 cars a year, but we don't think it's all that important," Fukui said without elaborating.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 PM
8th Gear

You just like to hear yourself talk

Originally Posted by archknight
Even if they are late it shows that you didn't throughly read through what I said, "6 months to a year later". Not only did you just respond, you even went as far as guessing that they would use a V6 variant that would between 2.7-3.0L, which no company would waste time developing a smaller V6 for that purpose when they've squeezed all the juice they could out of their two largest (3.2- & 3.5-) most powerful engines. The time frame suggests that Honda needed more time to work on a high performance variant, considering every engine Honda has ever built (1.6-, 1.8-, 2.0-, 2.5-, 3.0-, 3.2-, 3.5-, & 3.7), which would you chose? The only reason I think Honda even considered a V6 is because many thought it should have one. Who says a car can't be light & nimble because it has a V6, the best small sport sedans all pack one under the hood (i.e.-325i, IS350, g35, etc.) & they are still roughly in the same weight class. No major corporation takes up time experimenting with a technology in one application (RDX-K23T), if they did it once it will happen again. Honda has always been a company to have all their bases covered (reliability & economical) before sending it out to the public. The RDX was merely a test bed, Honda probably has several variations of other turbo engines deciding which one to use is the question they are try to answering.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Geeze, things are getting feisty in here. Anyway, the new colors sound nice, I'm surprised "Nighthawk Black Pearl" has been replaced, what else can you really do with black. I like my NBP with blue specks!

About the whole engine discussion that will never end...what would you guys think if Acura just threw in the old NSX V6 in our TSX
Old 01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
No news from naias? (except for colors)

I wanna see photos
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Lots of color questions here. Palladium Metallic will replace Alabaster Silver, it looks to have more flake in the paint. Grigio Metallic looks a lot like CGP but again with more flake in the paint. The Grigio Metallic is darker than the polished metal metallic if you have seen a RDX or TL in pmm. Crystal Black Pearl looks interesting, but unfortunately this is coming from a 1.5"x1" color swatch so they won't tell what the cars will really look like, but I have high hopes for all the colors.

I'm definitely glad that Taupe replaced Quartz on the inside, I was never a big fan of the medium gray leather.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
Lots of color questions here. Palladium Metallic will replace Alabaster Silver, it looks to have more flake in the paint. Grigio Metallic looks a lot like CGP but again with more flake in the paint. The Grigio Metallic is darker than the polished metal metallic if you have seen a RDX or TL in pmm. Crystal Black Pearl looks interesting, but unfortunately this is coming from a 1.5"x1" color swatch so they won't tell what the cars will really look like, but I have high hopes for all the colors.

I'm definitely glad that Taupe replaced Quartz on the inside, I was never a big fan of the medium gray leather.
I like the gray, I have it in my car. I think it's nice because it's light, but not light enough to get dirty real easily. I haven't seen taupe in person, but it sounds kind of light, in which case I'd have to get a black interior so it isn't always dirty looking. I've never liked the parchment interiors....wish it were less yellow-looking.

However, I'm not a real big fan of the PMM color, at least from what I've seen on the RDX. It just looks kind of boring. Anthracite never did anything for me, either.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Excuses? Where'd you get that from? Don't project your beliefs on us. I read David's thread and tried to make a funny, lighthearted comment. Nothing more. Never said I didn't want these things, or "make excuses".

David has some pretty interesting opinions, but not for one second did I think he was making excuses for not having the features on the current TSX . His comments are usually his opinion sprinkled in with some funny stuff. Take it that way.

Do us a favor a) don't read to much into what we write here and b) don't start believing your own bullshit....keep an open mind. Where I or David made excuses for anything is lost upon me.
Sorry about that; a little too much time reading through threads on TCL. Anyway, my point was that there are so many lesser offerings that include features the TSX doesn't. Which is fine, so long as they maintain the build quality and handling. Yea, some of the comments were kinda funny... I feel bad for the people in the back seat. lol

Again, sorry, just fuming a little on the vented seats (they are nice, but kinda pathetic in reality). LED taillights are another matter, though...

I can't wait to see the TSX!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Sorry about that; a little too much time reading through threads on TCL. Anyway, my point was that there are so many lesser offerings that include features the TSX doesn't. Which is fine, so long as they maintain the build quality and handling. Yea, some of the comments were kinda funny... I feel bad for the people in the back seat. lol

Again, sorry, just fuming a little on the vented seats (they are nice, but kinda pathetic in reality). LED taillights are another matter, though...

I can't wait to see the TSX!
No worries...

I can see where you're coming from. Let's hope the new TSX (and new TL and RL MMC) addresses these concerns.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Instructor

No worries...

I can see where you're coming from. Let's hope the new TSX (and new TL and RL MMC) addresses these concerns.
Just a few more months to find out.

Doesn't the Honda Legend have cooled seats? So I suppose it's a possibility in the TL and RL.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Canadian RL has had cooled seats since the redesign. Makes no sense, I know.

Then again the MSRP is 70K.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
Canadian RL has had cooled seats since the redesign. Makes no sense, I know.

Then again the MSRP is 70K.
I wonder who needs cooled seats in Canada. After sitting on the seats, you'd look like this: lol
Old 01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Honda/Acura have a number of technologies in other markets that don't make the cut here. There are a number of reasons, liability concerns (Americans sue for everything that goes wrong) and cost issues.

This is the truth, they sweat all the littlest details as they design a new car. Product planners and engineers get together and decide on everything that goes into a car. Down to the last little screw cover, or cup holder.

Engineer, "If you want to design a new cupholder for the 3rd row of the MDX it will cost $xxx,xxx.xx over the course of 5 years. If you want to reuse the one from the Odyssey, it will cost $xx,xxx.xx." Planner, "Ok, I'll take the Odyssey cupholder so I can have my power outlet in the center console."

When people say 'why can't I get this or that feature, it can't cost that much....." I'm reminded of the story above and how seeming small insignificant things (to us) are examined with mass production in mind.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM
East Coast Crew

Just a few more months to find out.

Doesn't the Honda Legend have cooled seats? So I suppose it's a possibility in the TL and RL.
It's coming out in March so we have 2 months, but Honda will probably release the picture a little earlier =]
Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by TSX69
Honda CEO Says Clean Diesel Cars will be Profitable
Reuters | Monday, 14 January 2008

The head of Honda said that the Japanese automaker's yet-to-be released clean diesel cars will be profitable immediately, unlike expensive gasoline-electric hybrid cars that still yield little or no profit after a decade on the market.

"Our diesel cars are going to have an appropriate level of profit from the start," chief executive Takeo Fukui told a small group of reporters in an interview at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

He said Honda's clean diesel cars, to be launched in the United States next year, will not require a urea tank as most European systems do.

The use of aluminum in the cylinder block instead of steel would also allow it to manufacture the engines using its existing gasoline engine facilities, keeping initial investments down, Fukui added.

Honda's new diesel drive train generates and stores ammonia within a two-layer catalytic converter to turn nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen.

The new system will clear the same emissions regulations as gasoline in the United States, Fukui said.

Japan's second-biggest automaker is set to announce later this afternoon the launch of its first ultra-clean diesel car in the United States in 2009, as planned.

Honda's premium Acura brand will be the first to get the four-cylinder diesel engine, Fukui said. Models fueled by V6 diesel engines will follow after 2010, he added.

Diesel cars now make up more than half of Europe's new cars but have a poor image among consumers in the United States, as well as Japan, as being both loud and dirty.

But Fukui said he expected Honda's sale of four-cylinder diesel cars to reach about 150,000 vehicles globally by around 2010 with the planned roll-out in the United States and Japan.

Honda now sells more than 100,000 diesel cars a year, all in Europe.

Honda is also due to begin selling low-cost hybrid cars in 2009. Half of the planned 200,000 units of the hybrid-only family car are bound for North America.

A new hybrid sports car is set to follow, while the mass-volume Civic series will also get the cheap and improved hybrid system with the next remodeling.

Fukui said he expected the new hybrid system would be as profitable as conventional gasoline cars, depending on the cars' selling price.

The chief executive has indicated that he wants to limit the price premium for consumers buying hybrid cars to around 200,000 yen ($NZ2367) to achieve the company's target of powering 10 per cent of its global vehicle sales with hybrid cars by around 2010.

Honda produces its hybrid cars in Japan. While Fukui said he wants to build at least 80 per cent of its cars sold in the United States in North America, he said he was not now thinking of local production of hybrids in the region.

"We may be thinking about local production (in North America) around 2011 or 2012 when our global hybrid sales reach 400,000 to 500,000 cars a year, but we don't think it's all that important," Fukui said without elaborating.

Thanks for the post TSX69, I think a diesel TSX with great low end torque and something like a DSG tranny would be a great addition to the lineup.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the color chart Colin

I've been crossing my fingers for the Polished Metal Metalic to make it to the TSX ever since I saw it on the new Accords! Such an awesome color. Thanks for the scans Colin.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
If Siggy thinks Honda/Acura's are made cheap..I can't wait for him to buy another manufacturer and get a big dose of reality.
+1.

Those who are unhappy with Honda/Acura's quality should go ahead and jump on the domestic bandwagon that's out in full force these days.

Actually, for that matter even get a new Camry and see how happy you are with the quality. You'll be back soon.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
... Hyundai.... (Which are actually getting very good marks, but they're not a AcuLexuFiniti yet.)
Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Hyundai needs to get past the generic plastic interior parts that all cheap cars have.

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**