The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It gets annoying when you scroll through these pages with people writing a short comment...

Anyway, knowing Acura, I'd say I'd be underwhelmed when the new TSX is introduced. So what's up with the engine? I4? small V6? turbo diesel? Obviously it's not gonna be the engine from RDX. Why can't they throw in a powerful engine in there to make it a performance car? Lexus has the IS350, BMW will have the 135i, but Acura is so damn timid. TSX is now a world car, so just make it a home run. Temple of vtec says v6 with shawd will be introduced later, let's hope it's a more powerful v6 than the accord to move all that mass from the awd system.

Honda knows how to make efficient cars, but knows too little about making luxury cars. I'd expect the TSX to lack luxury features as well. as usual, the upgrade package will be a tech package. are you selling a luxury car or tech car? learn something from Lexus. choices of real wood please.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
It gets annoying when you scroll through these pages with people writing a short comment...

Anyway, knowing Acura, I'd say I'd be underwhelmed when the new TSX is introduced. So what's up with the engine? I4? small V6? turbo diesel? Obviously it's not gonna be the engine from RDX. Why can't they throw in a powerful engine in there to make it a performance car? Lexus has the IS350, BMW will have the 135i, but Acura is so damn timid. TSX is now a world car, so just make it a home run. Temple of vtec says v6 with shawd will be introduced later, let's hope it's a more powerful v6 than the accord to move all that mass from the awd system.

Honda knows how to make efficient cars, but knows too little about making luxury cars. I'd expect the TSX to lack luxury features as well. as usual, the upgrade package will be a tech package. are you selling a luxury car or tech car? learn something from Lexus. choices of real wood please.

I agree with some of your comments but first off tsx is not a performance car. 205hp/3300lbs fwd...come on...its far from. Now if they come out with a rwd car 240-260hp then you can consider it a "performance car".
H/A is just practicle...but hopfully they broaden their horizons soon. Also Acura does know how to make luxery cars...with in consideration of price. Thats why the tsx is the #1 luxery car right now. Not the real wood of Lexus. Lexus are very nice..but they are like bmw..very overpriced compared to the standard features of the tsx.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by itsme27
is it wrong for me to wish for this car to be butt ugly? since i just got an 07 and plan to keep it for a good number of years? I don't want that buying remorse thanks to a new model coming along.
I had the same thought when we found out they were redoing the front end a couple years after I bought my '04. I got my wish
Old 01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMQ

As opposed to a long, whiny comment like your's?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I am just hoping that they actually give us a version of the Sports4 concept car, I have been drooling over it since it was introduced. When this version appeared on a few sites I was definitely thrilled with the thought of owning one.

I was wondering could someone photoshop a variation of the MDX grill onto this, since that seems to be the new corporate grill that the next generation of Acura's will be wearing.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ I really like that concept as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

archknight ... .... I'll 3rd that one !
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Pro

<<<< look at my aviator..I think this one has the mdx grille but is a two door.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
I love that red color, too. It's really unfortunate that your avatar is (probably) not the real deal, and that the red on it isn't available.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by archknight
I am just hoping that they actually give us a version of the Sports4 concept car, I have been drooling over it since it was introduced. When this version appeared on a few sites I was definitely thrilled with the thought of owning one.

I was wondering could someone photoshop a variation of the MDX grill onto this, since that seems to be the new corporate grill that the next generation of Acura's will be wearing.
The Honda Accord SportTourer concept that was shown in Frankfurt in 2007 looks VERY different from this (beatiful) concept. I fear only the rear tail of the next TSX will look similar at the concept , because the front in the spy photos of 4 months ago look 90% different...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Your avatar is the Sports4 concept car and the grill is very different from the MDX's since it is more open in the lower portion. The MDX grill is very solid looking, which when I first saw it I thought it was hideous but it grew on me over time.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Krio, you know how Honda/Acura works, they'll take one variation of a vehicle and make it look slightly different from another (example: Accord coupe/sedan). Of course the tourer version won't make it stateside but if they are going with the same theory as other manufacturers I expect something that looks fairly close to this or this:

Artist rendering I found last year. As far as the taped up prototypes we saw earlier this year, I wouldn't be too concerned considering the fact that the body was almost identical to the previous generation. I've never known an automaker to claim to produce an all new model that looks exactly like the previous one.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itsme27
is it wrong for me to wish for this car to be butt ugly? since i just got an 07 and plan to keep it for a good number of years? I don't want that buying remorse thanks to a new model coming along.
When I see other TSX around I'm reminded how much I like the look of this particular car; the portions are perfect. It looks delicious. I think I'll be disapointed just for the fact that it's not the same car and I dislike far more cars than I like. Judging from the spy shots I doubt it's going to be one of those cars I like. They accused this TSX of being bland - they haven't seen nuthin yet. The new TL has an interesting outline though.

I liked my 2G Integra better than my 3G for a long time until I got used to the 3G Integra with its beedy headlights, but even now when I see a 2G Integra out the corner of my eye somewhere it grabs my focus. Good times.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by archknight
Krio, you know how Honda/Acura works, they'll take one variation of a vehicle and make it look slightly different from another (example: Accord coupe/sedan). Of course the tourer version won't make it stateside but if they are going with the same theory as other manufacturers I expect something that looks fairly close to this or this:

Artist rendering I found last year. As far as the taped up prototypes we saw earlier this year, I wouldn't be too concerned considering the fact that the body was almost identical to the previous generation. I've never known an automaker to claim to produce an all new model that looks exactly like the previous one.
That sketch is almost identical to the Sports 4. The grill is old style so I'm thinking they're only moving farther and farther away from that.

I wish they'd atleast make the wheel radius realistic in these renderings; that car wouldn't be able to turn its wheels more than 10 degrees.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Racer

One Artists Perspective

After seeing the Priddy Photos and Accord Tourer Concept crossed with the MDX details, I did some sketchs to try to uncover the details:

Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

You added a lot of curves that don't exist, like the rear trunk bench is clearly flat, the rear door isn't that long but your drawings look better than the actual car. Too bad it won't look quite that swooping.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The spy shots just don't look like the sports4 concept though . The resemblance is so slight.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
The headlights don't look like they're gonna have that dip on the bottom either. From the spy pics, it looks like they're gonna be more similar to the current TL headlights
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Pro

Nice renderings gt. But i dont think we are going to see this car for a while because people had pics of the new accord for like a year befor it came out it dosnt make sense that acura would hold out this long on pics if it plans on selling this car any time before october
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

i am pissed off i just got a 08 in august nd now theres gonna be a new cl to? how much more is the 09 tsx gonna have?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It may be just me but artist's renditions seem to always look better than the final product. :2cents
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tsxgoogs
Nice renderings gt. But i dont think we are going to see this car for a while because people had pics of the new accord for like a year befor it came out it dosnt make sense that acura would hold out this long on pics if it plans on selling this car any time before october
What are you talking about? This car is supposed to be out in April from what we've all been seeing.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
When your current car is selling poorly, you introduce your concepts early to 'freeze' potential buyers. if your current car is selling well, you hide your concepts to keep sales strong on the existing model. The 2007 Accord was always a 'so so' seller, showing the coupe pics (they never showed the sedan) early wouldn't hurt much. You are way off base on your timetable for the new TSX....
Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by gt0279a
After seeing the Priddy Photos and Accord Tourer Concept crossed with the MDX details, I did some sketchs to try to uncover the details:
Damn good work there! I think you have a pretty good grasp of what Acura has in mind. Fender arches like the MDX, tail and headlights that look like the MDX/RDX.

As for the sports 4: I too love the look of the car, but am I the only one on the planet that looks at that rendering and sees a car with no back seat and no (and I mean NO) headroom? Oh well two more days.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Oh well two more days.

So are you going to share?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
What are you talking about? This car is supposed to be out in April from what we've all been seeing.

April is only really 3 months away. They havnt even shown a concept in the detroit auto show. Also there is no hint even on the website. I think we might see pictures of it in april but i highly doubt that it will be for sale in april.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
I'm with ....

We need a hero ... again
Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

April is only really 3 months away. They havnt even shown a concept in the detroit auto show. Also there is no hint even on the website. I think we might see pictures of it in april but i highly doubt that it will be for sale in april.
An April release is pretty much confirmed. It also happens to be when the 2004 went on sale as well, so I really don't doubt it'll be April or May.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
tell usss
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Racer

In dealership today, April for TSX, SH-awd will come later?? RL April/May. TL Fall...
not a word on drivetrains etc..??? Mgt knows but word on floor is slim...???
Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx4lyfe
i am pissed off i just got a 08 in august nd now theres gonna be a new cl to? how much more is the 09 tsx gonna have?
No need to be pissed since the new model will have some bugs during the first year. I'm waiting for my 08 TSX 6 MT Navi now. It's on the way from Japan & should be here next month.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Racer

Thanks for the comments.

I'm aware I 'rounded' out some of the lines. It helps with these photos
as the angels they were shot from probably aren't the most flattering to
the car design.

But this is probably more accurate with respect to the trunk/rear doors:

By gt0279a
Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice sketches GT.

I'd be surprised if the actual car looks much different from your renderings. The front 3/4 view bears a very strong resemblance to the 1st gen and makes the spy pics look a lot less "camry-like".

Given that Acura's new designs almost always look very similar from generation to generation, I'd say you're pretty much spot on.

BTW, the rear view has a strong Mercedes-Benz influence, no?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Race Director

sorry to tell you, but that sketch makes the new TSX look a bit like the current Civic sedan,
Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TommySalami
The headlights don't look like they're gonna have that dip on the bottom either. From the spy pics, it looks like they're gonna be more similar to the current TL headlights
I agree. The headlights seems very different from the concept or the MDX ones and much more similar to the ones of the current TL... And the back too, is someth. between TL and MDX...
The big question is HOW MUCH the european Accord and the new TSX will be similar or different... In the current generation they were at 99% the same cars.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Most likely, the new car will include Honda's new mandate concerning pedestrian impact where the hood is much higher. It will give the car a bit more of a "bullet" look in the front rather than the sleek sloping hoods we're used to. They did this with the new US Accord, and personally I don't like it. The Camry also has it.

I like the ass end and I think your sketches are probably 90% on - all Acuras seem to be going with that same tail light config.

Contrary to what others have said, I think the headlight config is also pretty close to what we'll see - that's the new look on the US Accord and the Sports 4 concept had them as well, as does the blue honda concept drawing that is circulating.

I just bought an 08 and I'm not concerned at all. I loved this car since I first saw/sat in it, and there is always "something new" right around the corner. However (like others mentioned), first year always has it's share of bugs, plus Honda/Acura has a habit of holding back standard features in an annoying way so that have something to advance the car in future MY. For instance, the first year MDX has a manual flip rearview mirror... I couldn't believe they skimped on that on a $40K+ vehicle. Same with the 04 TSX - when it first cam out, I thought - wow this thing would be even better if it had XM, heated side mirrors, etc., and by MY08, it was all in there.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
sorry to tell you, but that sketch makes the new TSX look a bit like the current Civic sedan,

Noway i think it looks good like the new merc 300 or a5
Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 AM
TMQ
Pro

I agree with some of your comments but first off tsx is not a performance car. 205hp/3300lbs fwd...come on...its far from. Now if they come out with a rwd car 240-260hp then you can consider it a "performance car".
H/A is just practicle...but hopfully they broaden their horizons soon. Also Acura does know how to make luxery cars...with in consideration of price. Thats why the tsx is the #1 luxery car right now. Not the real wood of Lexus. Lexus are very nice..but they are like bmw..very overpriced compared to the standard features of the tsx.
Acura can make a TSX performance version, add bigger engine, LSD or SHAWD, sportier suspension, etc. It's not like Acura doesn't know performance. Because of TSX's smaller size and lower weight (compared to TL and RL), enhancement in some areas can make a big difference. And it looks like it will do so, but will it be full throttle effort?

Seeing how Lexus does the IS-F and BMW with the 135i, it's pretty obvious that bigger engine in a smaller car does wonders. The current Acura TSX is a fine car for what it is - a budget entry luxury level nimble sedan, but I believe that Acura should focus to please the crowd who love driving - and advance its image. Adding some luxury items won't hurt. So far Acura only has a tech package.

TSX the #1 luxury car?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^i personally hope Acura DOES make a TSX on steroids, a small car with a big engine. What enthusiast doesn't like that? However, for the sake of sales, they should still make the "budget entry level nimble sedan" or whatever you want to call it. Hope they make a "budget entry level nimble coupe" too. I hope both be just as good as this TSX was relative to the competition back in 2003 when the TSX/Euro Accord came out and truly surprised everyone.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TMQ
Acura can make a TSX performance version, add bigger engine, LSD or SHAWD, sportier suspension, etc. It's not like Acura doesn't know performance. Because of TSX's smaller size and lower weight (compared to TL and RL), enhancement in some areas can make a big difference. And it looks like it will do so, but will it be full throttle effort?

Seeing how Lexus does the IS-F and BMW with the 135i, it's pretty obvious that bigger engine in a smaller car does wonders. The current Acura TSX is a fine car for what it is - a budget entry luxury level nimble sedan, but I believe that Acura should focus to please the crowd who love driving - and advance its image. Adding some luxury items won't hurt. So far Acura only has a tech package.

TSX the #1 luxury car?
I meant for the money its the #1 luxury car...and I think it is..but thats my opinion...and only mine.

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**