P1298 ELD high circuit input 99 TL

Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 AM
Registered Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
P1298 ELD high circuit input 99 TL

Alright so.....this ELD (Electrical Load Detector) CEL code came up recently and I spent hours trying to figure out what to do. I googled and found plenty of Civics with this problem. The thing about the Civics with this problem is they can replace the ELD itself. Our 99 TL unfortunately does not work that way. The ELD is built in to the under hood fuse box. With that being said, the forums said to just replace the ELD, but since our TL has the whole fuse box, I decided to just buy the fuse box and hope for the best. I actually experienced random car shut-offs with this code, but I am also experiencing the ignition switch recall issue atm. I noticed MORE random shut-offs with this ELD CEL code. Anyways, here we go....

Tools required:
PATIENCE
basic tools
This job is tedious and a little frustrating.

Part number:

This is the new fuse box, notice the black piece underneath. It pops off and the wires are all nice and neatly protected by this piece. The issues you will have with this job is trying to remove that piece while it's still on the car, and unplugging the plugs while it's still on the car. There are about 3-4 plugs under there which you need to disconnect:

This hole is where the wires go through and plug up under in there (This is one of the reasons it is tedious):

First, disconnect the 2 cables on the side of the fuse box and the clip right there next to the cables:

Now, there are 2 clips on the back of the fuse box which need to be released from the frame of the car. You just need to lift them and lift up on the fuse box and poof! It's off....the frame:

Another angle of the rear of the fuse box:

Now, I don't have a pic of the underside of the fuse box with the wire protector/cover off. Try to read my mind...The under cover just pulls off, con huevos. Once you remove that cover, you need to disconnect the 3-4 plugs underneath the fuse box. There is some slack in the wires, but not that much, so don't pull too hard. Once it's out, you should have this
(This is showing the plugs and the frame where the back of the fuse box is clipped to it)

And here is another angle of the plugs:

Here's the new fuse box next to the old one:

The new fuse box comes with all new FUSES ONLY, it does not include any relays. That would have been cool if it came with all the relays too, but hey...it is what it is. You do need to reuse your old relays when you install the new fuse box.

When installing the new fuse box, the best way to do it is
1st plug in all the green plugs underneath
2nd put the new undercover back on (you have to make sure you have all the wires inside the cover WHILE you're putting it back on, and with the little slack that you have)
3rd clip the fuse box back to the frame of the car
Lastly, reconnect the 2 cables on the side and plug the electric white plug back in. The 2 cables only go in 1 way, they have a little guide to ensure it goes in and stays in. The white clip also has a little guide for the wire. Don't miss these when working on it. Besides that, you're good to go. CEL light went away and no more ELD code! I hope this was helpful for you guys! I hope this gets added to the DIY section for easier searching and help!
The following users liked this post:
closetprisoner (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
2000 Acura TL

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
Great write up.. so how much does the new fuse box cost ??
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by closetprisoner
Great write up.. so how much does the new fuse box cost ??
Thanks! I got it for 79.80 right under 80. Oem from the dealer.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
So did the box fix your problems ?
'99 TL's had ignition switch issues, so make sure that's operating properly.

The fuse box hasn't been a big problem with the TL's. Isn't the ELD circuit relay a replaceable part by itself ?
Good DIY if one has reason to do it. Check wiring connections and grounds first ?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
So did the box fix your problems ?
'99 TL's had ignition switch issues, so make sure that's operating properly.

The fuse box hasn't been a big problem with the TL's. Isn't the ELD circuit relay a replaceable part by itself ?
Good DIY if one has reason to do it. Check wiring connections and grounds first ?
Yes this did solve my problem. "CEL light went away and no more ELD code!" I searched and searched for the ELD circuit issues with this car and found 0 results, which is why I made a DIY fix for it. Ya I could have done some other diagnosis but I chose not to and I went straight for the fuse box fix. I've never seen this issue before or even heard of it, but it happened. No, you cannot replace just the ELD by itself. It is a part of the fuse box. If you actually read my thread, all of these questions were already answered. I am repeating myself right now. I also mentioned how my ignition switch is possibly an issue as well. Thanks for the positive feedback though. I appreciate it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Ttt
Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Registered Enthusiast

Mod edit: P1298 ELD high circuit input 99 TL DIY Fix

Add my DIY's to the list! PLEASE!
Old 05-20-2016, 05:48 PM
2003 Acura CL-S6

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by emaka9
Mod edit: P1298 ELD high circuit input 99 TL DIY Fix

Add my DIY's to the list! PLEASE!
I know this thread is super old and I haven't been on here in a really long time but I having similar issues with my 03 CLs6. I've installed 3 alternators now and I'm not getting any voltage at all. I also have this ELD code. Should I try replacing my fuse box to see if that fixes the problem?? Any help is very much appreciated!