View Poll Results: If you had a chance to look at (inspect) your Comptech springs, are they?
In perfect condition. With No visible marks. IOW, they look great.
29.17%
Have some marks and/or pits. (Comments?)
31.94%
Corroded (Please comment with location and other info)
30.56%
Other: explain what's going on/what you see...
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Can you check your Comptech Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by darrinb
i am too lazy to read the whole thread

whats comptech doin on this situation??

did they make a revised version??
Cliff Notes:

refund/replace/etc.

Silver springs are rusting, black springs are newer and hopefully they won't rust.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff Notes :

1. in warranty with receipt and broken springs -> send you new springs, cover labor
2. in warranty with receipt and rusty springs -> send you new springs, you send back the old ones, but no reimbursement for labor
3. out of warranty with/without recipt -> $100 discount on new Comptech springs

Did I miss anything?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hemants
Cliff Notes :

1. in warranty with receipt and broken springs -> send you new springs, cover labor
2. in warranty with receipt and rusty springs -> send you new springs, you send back the old ones, but no reimbursement for labor
3. out of warranty with/without recipt -> $100 discount on new Comptech springs

Did I miss anything?
4. Use your negotiation skills to get the best deal.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by Shawn S
According to Pete, Jens is on an “extended vacation” in Germany.
And he doesn’t do ANY kind of performance mods anymore.

SAD…………….
As of Yesterday when I was at PAA, Jens was there .. so if they told you he was away already, they lied (which I wouldnt be surprised about).

At least they checked to see if he was there for you, like when they scheduled me the crank pulley install and then when I drove 2hrs one way to PAA, they informed me that they didnt realize their aftermarket tech was on vacation. So I drove 4 hrs for an oil change.

BTW shawn, when you go in there, get ANY service advisor besides the woman (Xenia). Most un-helpful woman I've ever dealt with. Yesterday I went up there for the SECOND time to try the pulley install, and again, I ended up driving 4 hours for an oil change. I didnt bring the belt, which they told me they could've gotten for me last time if I had the part # which I forgot .. but I had it this time. She claimed that the "parts manager" stepped out for something and he would be the only person that could get something like that. I guess the guy standing at the counter isnt capable of ordering a belt? I assumed she would call me back in the office for the part number when the parts manager returned, no ...

instead I got my car back 20 minutes later, with changed oil and a bogus excuse as to why my sunroof is rattling: "the rattle isn't coming from the sunroof its coming from the trunk because of your stereo equipment". I felt like saying Oh I guess stereo equipment causes rattles when it is turned off as well you bitch? I think I can tell the difference between a rattle coming from above my head and one coming from behind me, in the trunk. But to avoid causing a scene I walked to the cashier, threw my money on the counter and left.

I don't think I will ever be back to PAA unless for regular maintenance. I feel its gone down hill ever since Jens stopped doing installs. He was the reason I went and without him doing them there is no reason to drive that far anymore. and if I am back, it will be in Tom Schou's office, and only tom. He is their only pleasant service advisor.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blader
As of Yesterday when I was at PAA, Jens was there .. so if they told you he was away already, they lied (which I wouldnt be surprised about).

At least they checked to see if he was there for you, like when they scheduled me the crank pulley install and then when I drove 2hrs one way to PAA, they informed me that they didnt realize their aftermarket tech was on vacation. So I drove 4 hrs for an oil change.
Well, I have to go there to get the labor covered by Comptech because that’s where the original install was done.
It’s a bit of a drive for me too.
As for Jen’s being in Germany, they told me that back when I was setting up the appointment a few weeks ago.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:26 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
hopefully whoever does this for you won't have any problems ... it's only a spring/sway swap afterall ... my appointment is Wednesday at Tischer
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Well I got the springs installed this weekend. Man that back seat is a pain in the ass but I'm getting pretty good at it. I discovered something that you who are getting the new black springs should be aware of. They look like H&R springs to me. The drop in the front is about the same as the old silver Comptechs but the rear dropped way more. No more Comptech rake and the back was actually noticeably lower than the front giving the car a kind of droopy-butt look. I have the Neuspeed Konis so on Sunday I pulled the rear springs and raised the perch one notch on the Konis. This pretty much has the car sitting level but I liked the slight rake the car had before. Anyone else notice this with the new black Comptech springs?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Audi S4 driver

Chad, thats odd ..
Old 09-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChadT
Well I got the springs installed this weekend. Man that back seat is a pain in the ass but I'm getting pretty good at it. I discovered something that you who are getting the new black springs should be aware of. They look like H&R springs to me. The drop in the front is about the same as the old silver Comptechs but the rear dropped way more. No more Comptech rake and the back was actually noticeably lower than the front giving the car a kind of droopy-butt look. I have the Neuspeed Konis so on Sunday I pulled the rear springs and raised the perch one notch on the Konis. This pretty much has the car sitting level but I liked the slight rake the car had before. Anyone else notice this with the new black Comptech springs?
Wow... I'm glad you said that because I thought I was seeing things.. I 100%.. My front settled a whole heck of alot the past month and the drop looks real nice..
Old 09-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

I am still getting the run around with the imfamous employee @ CT (youallsuck)

Pay 225 plus shipping (25-50) for new springs...

Pay for install myself..

Send the old springs back and get credit of 225 on my credit card.

So I will be out shipping, install charges, and alignment.... all while I am still under the 2 yr. warranty..

For someone who has 7K+ parts on his car with the Comptech name on it, I sure has shit feel like I am getting the short end of the stick here.

Something that CT has told me: If the springs were installed at an authorized Acura Dealer, they will cover the labor because they wish to keep their good standing with the dealerships who sell their parts..

Kinda funny but I guess me having all their parts on my car is good for nothing since I did not buy them at the dealership.....(hope all the Vendors of COMPTECH are reading this)

hope it gets resolved, because some1 is digging themselves a shallow grave rather quickly.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Smitty that's fuckin bullshit... They have a quality issue and they're trying to make their customers pay for the shipping, install and alignment.. The springs cost $200, install, alignment and cost over $350.. We(the customer) are eating enough of the fucking cost.. And they are going to charge you the $30 to ship good "replacements".. Bottom line this is Bullshit and Comptech better step up to the plate and start taking care of customers.. If they countinue to short change "paying customers" to replace their fucked up parts they are NOT going to have a good rep on CL,TL or TSX sites.. Best of luck Comptech.. You're going to need it.. You're fucking over one too many people...

I think they need to realize what is going on.. That it's their defective springs that are causing this shit.. I really wish my springs would've broke in half and fucked up my car so I could own comptech.. I work in Quality Control for MSA and I can't imagine if we tried to pull this shit with our customers..
Old 09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

That's horrible guys...
Old 09-22-2004, 11:09 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't want no droppy butt. I have the silver Comptech springs on now and the car has the nice raked look. I have rusting springs so was thinking about trading them out for the black. So it sounds like the choice is either rusty springs or having the rear end sit lower than the front.

I am not happy about having to pay for another install plus alignment. Comptech should at least cover half of the install with a copy of the install invoice.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

That sucks BIG TIME Smitty.
I guess they don’t appreciate the TENS OF THOUSANDS in sales this Forum and others generate every year for them.
And I guess this explains why I’m getting better results from them since I had mine installed at Park Avenue Acura.

My rusty springs are coming off on Friday.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Audi S4 driver

Its PAA that I seem to be having problems with lately. the last two visits have been hell.

I will be taking these springs off with a friend and installing a used set of TEINS I should be getting by next week .. then off go the springs for a new set, then sell them with my Tokico HP's .. hence getting teins for almost nothing.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by Smitty
I am still getting the run around with the imfamous employee @ CT (youallsuck)

Pay 225 plus shipping (25-50) for new springs...

Pay for install myself..

Send the old springs back and get credit of 225 on my credit card.

So I will be out shipping, install charges, and alignment.... all while I am still under the 2 yr. warranty..
Damn that sucks!! I had to pay $299 without shipping. They sent a UPS label to put on the box when I send them back. Once they get them back I'm supposed to get the full $299 back. One other thing. My front springts aren't very rusty but they rattle like crazy if you tap on them.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

they are Eibach springs...
1.7 rear
2.0 front

I finally got my case settled.

Order my Konis
then call Comptech and get the springs sent to me for FREE (no shipping charges)
they hold my Credit card number for 30 days and do not charge it if I have the old (rusted) springs back to them within 30 days.(they send a call tag with the new springs so i do not pay shipping back to them.)

Although I am out install and alignment, I am some what satisfied with the outcome.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

they are Eibach springs...
1.7 rear
2.0 front

I finally got my case settled.
Fuck that.. I got ripped again.. I can get Eibachs shipped for $199 shipped.. "Comptech springs" cost me at a "deal" from Joe $225 shipped.. Fuck that I would've been better off throwing those piece of shit Comptech springs out the fuckin window and saved $25.. All because I'm a few months out of warranty and was the first person.. Comptech is on my shit list..

Lets pay all this extra money for quality comptech parts when we could buy Eibachs and save money..

On top of this, part of their hidden warranty claims you have to have the parts installed at a "authorized" comptech dealership to have your labor re-imbursed.. But did Joe tell me this when I was having problems.. NOPE..

They run a great show over there.. It's a good thing they brought in Eibach for their springs.. Becuase comptech customer service is fuckin horrible.. And that would explain their post earlier..

I think we now know why people are still receiving the "silver" springs.. I mean comptech would have to get rid of their "POS" springs before they could start ordering off of Eibach.. We wouldn't expect them to eat the cost of anything..

I know they are reading all these posts.. Keeping hiding guys..
Old 09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Audi S4 driver

I am surprised you don't install them yourself smitty - after watching my friend do the suspension on his prelude I concluded that there isnt really much to honda suspensions .. either way you have to align though.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I have no choice but to install myself.... time to get my hands dirty.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blader
I am surprised you don't install them yourself smitty - after watching my friend do the suspension on his prelude I concluded that there isnt really much to honda suspensions .. either way you have to align though.
If these springs were to rust like the rest the only way to save yourself another $200+ is to have a "authorized" dealer do it.. That way you get re-imbursed if they fail again.. All a bunch of bullshit if you ask me..
Old 09-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess we are no longer getting the advertised "About 1.25" lower in front
and 1" lower in the rear" like it states on their site.. They should probably update that.. And mention they are Eibachs..
Old 09-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Fuck that.. I got ripped again.. I can get Eibachs shipped for $199 shipped.. "Comptech springs" cost me at a "deal" from Joe $225 shipped.. Fuck that I would've been better off throwing those piece of shit Comptech springs out the fuckin window and saved $25.. All because I'm a few months out of warranty and was the first person.. Comptech is on my shit list..

Lets pay all this extra money for quality comptech parts when we could buy Eibachs and save money..

On top of this, part of their hidden warranty claims you have to have the parts installed at a "authorized" comptech dealership to have your labor re-imbursed.. But did Joe tell me this when I was having problems.. NOPE..

They run a great show over there.. It's a good thing they brought in Eibach for their springs.. Becuase comptech customer service is fuckin horrible.. And that would explain their post earlier..

I think we now know why people are still receiving the "silver" springs.. I mean comptech would have to get rid of their "POS" springs before they could start ordering off of Eibach.. We wouldn't expect them to eat the cost of anything..

I know they are reading all these posts.. Keeping hiding guys..
damn that post made ME want to run and hide ..
Old 09-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Audi S4 driver

If these springs were to rust like the rest the only way to save yourself another $200+ is to have a "authorized" dealer do it.. That way you get re-imbursed if they fail again.. All a bunch of bullshit if you ask me..
Well if they really are eibach, they shouldnt have a problem rusting again.

but I'd rather not take the chance. no one reported teins rusting ..

and for the price of a new set of comptechs and koni's you can practically do a set of SS's .. I think they were going in a GB for 850
Old 09-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

and 1" lower in the rear" like it states on their site.. They should probably update that.. And mention they are Eibachs..

Ouch...
Old 09-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Audi S4 driver

highly unlikely they'll update that .. and even more unlikely that the price will change
Old 09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

^ Then that'll be false advertising I don't see how you can claim to sell one product and deliver another. The Eibach drop is totally different than the Comptech drop.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:07 PM
an adult perspective

Your observation is absolutely spot on! My car is at Tischer as I write this. I got a call from Lenny around noon and he told me that both he and the mechanic noticed that the car had the infamous late 60's Mustang rake (my words) with the new Black Comptechs sitting on the middle perch of the Neuspeed Koni's, and if I wanted it left that way ... but they wouldn't recommend it. I told him that I was looking for level, or a slight rake ... mainly to fill the gap that my previous set-up had (Silver Comptech's up front, stock springs in the rear). I stopped by around 2:30, and the car was sitting out back, and they had raised the rear springs to the top perch on the Neuspeed/Koni's and there was still a bit of a reverse rake ... some of which was attributed to the weight of the OEM parts in the trunk but mostly probably due to the system back there. When I left, gameplan was to lower the front from the middle perch to either of the 2 options to level it out. There is about a 1 finger gap in the back, so I really don't think I'll have any problems with rubbing or need to roll the inner fender, but I was really surprised how much the back dropped because ... as you correctly observed, the front looked virtually the same with the Black Comptechs wrapped around the Neuspeed/Koni as did the Silver Comptechs wrapped around the OEM shock.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

Good to see Tischer is taking care of you.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Here’s another point that nobody mentioned.
If the drop with the “new” springs is now 2.0 & 1.7 instead of 1.25 & 1.0 isn’t it possible that some people will have tire rub after the swap out?
I’m talking about situations where people were barely clearing with the old setup.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 PM
an adult perspective

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Good to see Tischer is taking care of you.
Yup ... no complaints. Funniest part was watching the guy decide which loaner he was going to give me. About that time, Lenny walked in and talked to me and I think that cemented the decision. I got a TL and not an RSX

Shawn - I think I'll be finding out about that real soon as this will be quite different from what I had. I think there is enough clearance, and fortunately I don't carry passengers in the back so that will help ... will definitely be watching this as the 235's will be more susceptible to rubbing than 225's would be. Overall, the car is going to be a bit lower than I had originally envisioned. I'm also going to be concerned about the need for a camber kit ... and there is some question/concern as to whether or not they will be able to align the Servo's with the 235's on them. All will be revealed tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

... of damn.. a friggen camber kit... I forgot completly about that...what a pain in the ass this has been so far.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes please keep us updated on the camber kit issue. My "black springs" are still in the box in the garage and at this point I think they will be going back. I will most likely just go with the teins. Can someone post a pic of the "new" comptech drop. I absolutly do not want my car to sit lower in the back.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^
Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
an adult perspective

I'll post pics tomorrow night when I get the car back. I do think that the added perches in the front will level things out, and the added weight in the trunk when I looked at it isn't helping ... only other concern will then be if anything 'settles'.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

I've seen the Eibach drop many times in person before. The rear is even with the front. IMO
Old 09-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
only other concern will then be if anything 'settles'.
I swear you are the bearer of bad news if I ever met one.... you are going to make me throw up soon...
Old 09-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Eibach Drop on 17" SSRs 225/50

Stock Rims/Tires

Also, expect to wear out your stock shocks (those still running them) much faster with the Eibach drop than with the CT springs.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ and with that above set-up he had some rubbing issues on right rear AND he needed a camber kit.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

^^ and with that above set-up he had some rubbing issues on right rear AND he needed a camber kit.

Yes, BUT they are 225/50/17 which is a HUGE tire, especially with Continential tires (they just make 'em slightly larger)

With a 225/45 or 235/45 chances of rubbing would be greatly reduced.

Quick Reply: Can you check your Comptech Springs?