View Poll Results: If you had a chance to look at (inspect) your Comptech springs, are they?
In perfect condition. With No visible marks. IOW, they look great.
29.17%
Have some marks and/or pits. (Comments?)
31.94%
Corroded (Please comment with location and other info)
30.56%
Other: explain what's going on/what you see...
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Can you check your Comptech Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I’m in a much better mood this afternoon.
Yesterday I sent an E-Mail to Comptech with photos attached and a scan of my install receipt.
Today I got a call back from them and they are being very cooperative in handling this issue for a full refund.

I won’t go into the details until I have a check in hand, but I am satisfied with what they are offering.

My advice to everyone here who is having issues is to call or E-Mail Comptech and talk with them in a civilized manor and they will work with you as best as possible.

Shawn S

PS….They ARE aware of this forum and they ARE aware of this thread.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:24 PM
DP's for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shawn S
Well, I’m in a much better mood this afternoon.
Yesterday I sent an E-Mail to Comptech with photos attached and a scan of my install receipt.
Today I got a call back from them and they are being very cooperative in handling this issue for a full refund.

I won’t go into the details until I have a check in hand, but I am satisfied with what they are offering.

My advice to everyone here who is having issues is to call or E-Mail Comptech and talk with them in a civilized manor and they will work with you as best as possible.

Shawn S

PS….They ARE aware of this forum and they ARE aware of this thread.
Thanks for the update, it is Great to hear they are taking care of you. I would imagine that they want to handle this matter very carefully since thier main business is the Honda and Acrua owners. I had my springs installed in March of this year and my springs are Silver. Even if they are not starting to rust I will begin the conversation with Comptech to get the matter handled. I am not going to wait until my springs are rusted through and out of warrenty.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

good to hear shawn...have to take some pics of mine this weekend
Old 08-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm bummed out by all this. Will have to call the Acura dealership in Toronto where I got it installed. Need to get shocks so I might as well get the springs changed if it's up on the hoist.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Just check my Comptech springs. Three of the springs you can still see the silver coating but they do have quite a few pit marks. The fourth spring has a lot more rust and some of the coating has popped off in places.

I am not going to be a happy camper if one of the spring break.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Team Owner

OK, here’s some more info I didn’t have time to type up yesterday:
Keep in mind that this is “Third Party” info and I’m just repeating what was told to me on the phone.

According to Comptech, this isn’t THAT widespread of a problem.
Less then 100 cases of extreme rust so far and ALL of them are in the Northeast.

Comptech builds the springs themselves, but uses outside suppliers to powder coat them.
Three different ones as of right now.
It seems that at least one bad batch got through and made it into distribution.

Here’s another important note: SILVER doesn’t necessarily mean BAD.
Springs are still being made today in silver, black & dark gray depending on the company who did the powder coating.
So you can’t judge the quality by the color.

That’s all for now.

Shawn S
Old 08-22-2004, 08:51 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Comptech builds the springs themselves, but uses outside suppliers to powder coat them.
Stands to reason then that Comptech might have a very good idea as to having exact imformation about this "bad batch" ... such as what month/year they were manufactured, whether or not the shipment that went to places such as PAA are all going to be affected, etc.

I'd have to challenge one thing that Comptech told you, and will bring it up to them myself after I check the state of my fronts later today. I still have the "Inspected by" tag that was affixed to the springs, and they currently read:

Comptech USA P/N: 6110514R Rev B

Load 639.8 @ 9.380 In Ht

Rate 183.4 @ Lbs/In

Inspected By: JMORE Date 7-08-02
Betts Spring Co. San Leandro, CA. ((my emphasis))

Just looked this place up on the Internet, and they are located about 120 miles from Comptech HQ - Comptech being East of Sacramento, and Betts Spring Co is located South of Frisco. So it appears to me that Comptech outsourced the springs, sine the website for Betts doesn't talk to anything along the lines of being a powdercoating outfit. If all of the cases which are exclusive to the Northeast came from springs manufactured by this place, this should go a long way to allow Comptech to assume that the potential for any/all springs from this manufacturer which were made in that timeframe are going to be suspicious and they should probably consider acting accordingly, no?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

OK, here’s some more info I didn’t have time to type up yesterday:
Keep in mind that this is “Third Party” info and I’m just repeating what was told to me on the phone.

According to Comptech, this isn’t THAT widespread of a problem.
Less then 100 cases of extreme rust so far and ALL of them are in the Northeast.

Here’s another important note: SILVER doesn’t necessarily mean BAD.
Springs are still being made today in silver, black & dark gray depending on the company who did the powder coating.
So you can’t judge the quality by the color.

That’s all for now.

Shawn S
Well to me 100 cases is a lot and the photo of Jonesi's springs indicates more than a coating problem. Unless the steel was etched or damaged somehow in the coating process that steel is no good. Is there a set of silver springs that has went through a lot of rain/snow with no rust? We haven't been able to find one here. I'm sure they don't want to replace every set that's silver so I can see why they would be saying this but I'm not sure I'm buying it.

These 2 sets of springs look different to me. The black ones don't have the isolators and they also have 10 winds on the back (taller) springs. THe silver ones have only 9 winds on them.

If I can get through or get my e-mail responded to I'll ask them what's the deal but I'm sure they are saying this to avoid having to replace every silver set rusted or not.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:29 AM
an adult perspective

Originally Posted by rbf351

rbf351 -- any chance you still have those tags around somewhere? Might be interesting to see if the manufacturer is listed on the bottom as they were on mine, which I reported above. Also, the p/n looks like it may be a different number than what is on my tags (which doesn't match the part # from comptech (which is 110-135)).

Jonesi -- were there any labels in the box or attached to the springs you received which speaks to this issue? I'd have to agree with ChadT that these don't look like the Comptech springs we all have on our cars - which would further support my point that I don't believe Comptech makes these things "in-house". There's more out-sourcing going on with this product than just the color of the powder coat.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

The springs did not have any markings or anything else.. The box was different the springs are different and the spring color is different..
Old 08-22-2004, 09:26 PM
an adult perspective

Don't know guys .... bought and installed at PAA on 5/16/03 ... now have 31,700 miles on them ...

Drivers side front

wish my hubs looked so good

Passenger side front ... one small rust spot within the COMPTECH lettering on the spring

Hmmm ... looks like that pothole in Arkansas really messed up my camber

Rears look brand new - which they should since they haven't been installed yet .... maybe I didn't get a set from the 'bad batch'
Old 08-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
Stands to reason then that Comptech might have a very good idea as to having exact imformation about this "bad batch" ... such as what month/year they were manufactured, whether or not the shipment that went to places such as PAA are all going to be affected, etc.

I'd have to challenge one thing that Comptech told you, and will bring it up to them myself after I check the state of my fronts later today. I still have the "Inspected by" tag that was affixed to the springs, and they currently read:
I just dug out the Comptech box with my OEM springs in it to check for and inspection data tags.
I guess Jens tossed them. I didn’t find any.
I did notice something interesting.
The UPS shipping label on the outside is dated June 2001.
I had them installed at PAA in April of 2002.
So that means they were sitting around in their stock for nearly a year.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I'll have to check my box.

It still has my stock springs in it but I'm pretty sure the tags were tossed.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rbf351 -- any chance you still have those tags around somewhere? Might be interesting to see if the manufacturer is listed on the bottom as they were on mine, which I reported above. Also, the p/n looks like it may be a different number than what is on my tags (which doesn't match the part # from comptech (which is 110-135)).
i still have 3 of the 4 tags

tag 1
P/N 110135F
Load 1299.6
Rate 258.3

tag 2
P/N 110135R
Load 630.4
Rate 201.1

tag 3
P/N 110135F
Load 1525.0
Rate 263.1
Old 08-23-2004, 02:11 AM
an adult perspective

Funny that your p/n's match what Comptech lists for them on their website - and even what is marked on the outside of the box mine came in ... yet the actual p/n on the my tags are a different series altogether. Unfortunate that the manufacturer data is missing ... didn't look like it was left on your tag ... would help to answer if the springs were all outsourced, or only some. Interesting to know if the springs that are rusting were all made back in '01 like Shawns were, since the ones I got were made in the summer of '02, and all I have is one pit on one spring that shows any signs of rust after over 31k miles on them.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Audi S4 driver

Funny that your p/n's match what Comptech lists for them on their website - and even what is marked on the outside of the box mine came in ... yet the actual p/n on the my tags are a different series altogether. Unfortunate that the manufacturer data is missing ... didn't look like it was left on your tag ... would help to answer if the springs were all outsourced, or only some. Interesting to know if the springs that are rusting were all made back in '01 like Shawns were, since the ones I got were made in the summer of '02, and all I have is one pit on one spring that shows any signs of rust after over 31k miles on them.
Mine were installed by PAA at the end of Sept 03. They were delivered in April of 03. So not all of the rusted ones could've been made in 01. Mine are Silver, and rusting.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Is the a possible way, before things get too advanced, to clean off and spray springs with a form of protectant - to keep minor abrasions and scratches from becoming rusted?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blader
Mine were installed by PAA at the end of Sept 03. They were delivered in April of 03. So not all of the rusted ones could've been made in 01. Mine are Silver, and rusting.
But blader do you know when yours were made?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 PM
an adult perspective

only if he still has the box and the UPS label intact, since it appears that Jens tosses the inspection/rate tags upon install. and what does he mean by delivered? Delivered to PAA? Delivered to balder? might make a difference.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,101 Likes on 3,608 Posts
I got my check today from Comptech, Ohhh yeah. Just as promised.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Chief did you just send pictures because they told me that:

Comptech needs the old springs because they send them back to the manufacture.

CT needs to inspect them, etc.

I do not want to pay for shipping back to CT.. so they can inspect them.. mine are rusting.. no doubt.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,101 Likes on 3,608 Posts
No Smitty, I didn't pay for shipping. CT send a label and UPS picked them up next day. I put them back in the original box and off they went. I sent them pix too just to verify what I was telling them prior to getting the shipping label from them. How bad are yours? Mind were literally cracked in half-two of them. Pissed me off to no end. Now I have OEM on and it looks like sheeot. Ride's nice tho!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
But blader do you know when yours were made?
Nope, appears Jens tossed the tags.

only if he still has the box and the UPS label intact, since it appears that Jens tosses the inspection/rate tags upon install. and what does he mean by delivered? Delivered to PAA? Delivered to balder? might make a difference.
Delivered to PAA. The springs were installed on the car late Sept 03.

Originally Posted by Smitty
I do not want to pay for shipping back to CT.. so they can inspect them.. mine are rusting.. no doubt.
I think somebody somewhere in the thread said that they will pay for shipping to them?? because I said the same thing you did. I don't feel I should have to pay anything for this. I paid for the springs and to have them installed in the first place, trusting the Comptech quality. I am the original owner and have not even had them 1 year, and look what is happening. Thank god for Warranties
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro

I had mine installed/purchased at PAA in May, 2003 same as Y2KCLS haven't got a chance to inspect them yet...will definitely do it tomorrow since this thread keeps getting better and better....
Old 08-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Pro

This has probably been brought up but....does keeping the car garaged make any difference here ???????
Old 08-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by 6speedctrlfreak
This has probably been brought up but....does keeping the car garaged make any difference here ???????
Obviously having the car be garaged and not be exposed to the elements will always make a difference on the car as a whole. I can't see why it wouldn't make a difference on the springs as well.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by blader
Obviously having the car be garaged and not be exposed to the elements will always make a difference on the car as a whole. I can't see why it wouldn't make a difference on the springs as well.
Um...We've all seen pictures of Shawn S's garage -- not to mention the (very well photo-documented) high level of cleanliness and care he gives to his car. There goes any theory about garaged cars having better Comptech spring life...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slimey
Um...We've all seen pictures of Shawn S's garage -- not to mention the (very well photo-documented) high level of cleanliness and care he gives to his car. There goes any theory about garaged cars having better Comptech spring life...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro

Checked mine today - installed new at PAA in May 2003 / 14k on them

Fronts look OK

Both Rears both look like Shawn's Picture below of Rear Passenger Side

Damn.....I geusse the old phrase you get ehat you pay for sometimes doesn't apply !!

Here is the UGLY truth about the quality of these springs.

FRONT DRIVERS SIDE

FRONT PASSENGERS SIDE

REAR PASSENGER SIDE

REAR DRIVERS SIDE

A FEW CLOSE-UPS OF THE REAR DRIVERS SIDE

Old 08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Why is the rear drivers side always the worst?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

You gotta wonder if all of Comptechs Silver products are protected from the elements.

It would really suck if the corrosion happened to STB or Sways too.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Red-CL
You gotta wonder if all of Comptechs Silver products are protected from the elements.

You bring up a good point but I guess only time will tell..
Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red-CL

I checked out my Sway Bars when the car was jacked up.
They’re BLACK, they were installed on the same day as my Springs and they look FINE.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Instructor

I have a set of Brandnew Comptech springs not yet installed. Do you think I could get my money back?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

my sways are gray .. I will have pics this weekend of all my hardware from CT.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Team Owner

Mine are BLACK.

Here's a few pics from install day.............

Old 08-25-2004, 02:01 PM
SilverCLS

Just wondering guys I had Apex springs previously and they are really great. I mean they are progressive rate and not too hard on the stock shock. I just checked it out and the closest they have is for a Honda Accord V6 98+. Would that retro to ours?

http://www.apexsprings.com/sportspri...r=&CarModel=33

Just to add to this post. The springs remain yellow for years. Never cracks nor flakes and I live in Canada.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Audi S4 driver

You guys have silver sways? Mine are black.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Did I just open up a .........

Old 08-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Please do.

I very curious (even though I still have stock sways)

Quick Reply: Can you check your Comptech Springs?