Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-109: DIY-Eliminate LED Bulb Induced Hyper flashing WITHOUT LOAD RESISTORS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
OK just installed my 120 led bulbs from Autolumination. For the resister, I went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/24K-Ohm-Flamep...4763816&sr=8-1

Now I have an odd problem, the turn signal nor the hazards work at all. The green arrows don't even show up in the guages like normal. I fully removed the shunt resister and soldered on the new one as per DIY.

What would you guys recommend I do here?

Could .24 ohms be too much for just the front blinkers? (Unless these are actully 24ohms and not .24, which I'm starting to fear they are...)
I'm 99% sure the ones you ordered at 24OHM resistors, and not 0.24OHMS
Old 12-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
I'm 99% sure the ones you ordered at 24OHM resistors, and not 0.24OHMS
Correct!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Yup, feeling like such a (in the words of Zach Galifianakis) reTard...

The K is for thousand actually, wtf!!

Google totally screwed me with that search (try it for yourself: .24ohm 1W resistor), kinda my fault too since I rushed to check out.

But seriously, never would have thought that getting ahold of this tiny object would give me such hell, been trying for weeks.. looks like I gotta stick with hyperflashing for now
Old 12-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
These autolumination 120 leds...they blink normally for you? I bought some off of an ebay vendor and when I questioned how they work he actually sent me a link to autolumination troubleshooting. I'm wondering if they are the same.

My problem is that they are type 1's which I know will blink amber white amber but when my parking lights are on the white is at full brightness the entire time and the amber blinks over it. The result is a very dim amber blink since the white is brighter than the amber.

Do any of you have a video of how yours work? I'm going to try putting my bulb in another forum member's car that doesn't have this resistor mod to see if it's the resistor, or the bulb. Otherwise, I may have to go with the vled 48 type II's.

J.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockstar143
These autolumination 120 leds...they blink normally for you? I bought some off of an ebay vendor and when I questioned how they work he actually sent me a link to autolumination troubleshooting. I'm wondering if they are the same.
J.
I don't think Autolumination makes 120 LED switchbacks

If you're refering to their 120 LED ambers (the one I have), I do have a vid LOL
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Shoot, and this WHOLE time I thought it was a switchback...well if you're amber, and then you blink amber...you wouldn't have my problem. Which is great for you...but not for me!

I'm giving it till Monday, if they work in my friends' car I'll sell em to him...if they don't, I already told the ebay seller I'd want to return them and order the vled 48 one. J.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea these are not switchbacks, I just wanted a nicer and brighter look than stock
Old 12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Heres another head-scratcher...

Re-installed the shunt resistor earlier today and left the 120 leds in, figured I can live with the hyperflash til the new resistors arrive.

Went for a drive just now and noticed that my front markers don't blink with the turn signal or hazards... ??? They're on so I know they're not dead. And the rear signals do work/hyperflash.

Is this a normal symptom of the front leds if they don't have the proper resistance?

Damn Murphy's Law!!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Race Director

The fronts should hyperblink too, which is a head scratcher indeed.

Have you tried putting the halogens back in to make sure it's not the relay?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are these the proper turn signal bulbs?

http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

The ones I have now are the Amber 120 SMT 7443 (Dual Circuit), and when I tested them today, they do NOT blink while I have any driving/parking lights on, they just stayed lit. They only blinked when all lights are off. (I should mention, that this was all tested using the oem shunt resister as I had to re-order the proper one online)

So I decided to revert everything back to stock until I figure out what I'm going to do here...

I now may need a new relay cause I can only signal left turns & hazards are only the left side as well. Checked fuses and nothing.

Last edited by HQTL6SPD; 12-26-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:55 PM

So...rather than rewrite this again, here's an email I sent to the ebay dude that sold me my switchbacks...

This little mod, isn't as simple as we originally thought. This .24 resistor affects everything.

SOOO...my buddy stopped by and I popped my bulbs into his car. What do you know...it works fine. ONLY thing we did to his car was put LED in the rear with those regular t-tap type of resistors. Not only did my bulbs work fine in his car, but they didn't hyperblink either.

So, in my car:
parking is white and normal
blink was amber and fine
blink with parking light SUCKED because whites stayed on at full power and you could barely tell the ambers were blinking.

In his car, it ALL worked fine and blinked white/amber/white/amber like they should as a Type 1 switchback...

GOT me thinking...rather than go back to stock or remove the resistor or that PITA lighting module...I just disconnected my rear turn signals to mimic led rear turn signals and what do you know...they work fine.

So there...if you are doing this .24 ohm resistor or ANY resistor, keep in mind that the car is seeing the voltage as a whole and not just at the corners.

and here is a copy/paste of my email

HOPE THIS HELPS!

"Str_led_lighting,

I've got great news. Figured I'd share since you may have other people with similar issues. Ok, so today I put the bulb in his car...ONLY thing he had done was rear LED turn signals and we put clamp on resistors on the back. BAM, the bulb worked fine. SO now I knew it was the car for sure. Then I started thinking...the only difference between his and my car is that I have this resistor that I soldered onto the board (it's one .24 ohm resistor you solder onto the lighting board that stops hyperblinking for the the entire car...that simple).

Rather than desoldering and redoing that whole mess, I thought...well, if I disconnect my rear turn signals it would be similar to the reduced load that an LED rear signal blinker would introduce (I ordered some rears 7440 in red from you last week). So I disconnected my rear signals and VOILA...the switchbacks now SWITCH BACK!! I'm so happy...

Sorry to have troubled you. A lot of guys on the forums are starting to do this mod (soldering the inline resistor to the board rather than buying the individual resistors for all four corners) so figured it would be helpful for me to let you know what caused it. Your bulbs are amazing and an amazing price.

Thanks,
Jeremy."
The following users liked this post:
HQTL6SPD (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yea my relay must have gone bad, its malfunctioning even though I fully reverted back to stock.

Gonna try to return the leds either way since they don't seem to wanna blink when they're already on.

My conclusion, it's probably not just Murphy's Law, I must also be trapped in the Matrix too!!

Last edited by HQTL6SPD; 12-27-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Honestly, man...since I got it working yesterday...I would advise that you figure it out and get it working...it looks so amazing when it switches back correctly!

One of these inline resistors have no moving parts...so the idea that it would go bad is pretty slim (assuming you're talking about the resistor from this thread and not the individual type you crimp on).

What is your EXACT setup right now?

Do your stock bulbs blink? Is there a chance your solder is making contact across two points on the board?

Just an idea...

Check your fuses...could be a combination of things here.

J.
HQTL6SPD (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I hear ya, I definitely prefer to figure this out as I really did like how much richer in light the leds were.

My exact set up right now is stock, but the relay is acting funky for whatever reason. I'm picking up a new relay tomorrow, and when I get this one, I will leave it dedicated strictly to revert back to stock. IOW, the one I have on right now is the one I'll mess with and solder..

All fuses look good. Right now I'm just waiting on my new resistors to arrive so I can do everything all at once (which I strongly recommend to any else doing this mod).
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM

OH...ok...so you're getting a whole new relay little plug in thingy that you'll test out and pop in to make sure you get full functionality back?

Might I also recommend you disconnect your negative to your battery when you swap out? This might reset things and also prevent any shorting when popping in your new one.

I wish you luck, my friend...you have no idea the euphoric feeling I had when I disconnected the rear signals last night and got my switchbacks to actually switch back. It was a thing of beauty...these things are SUPER bright.
J
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
So today I installed 0.22 ohm resistor because that's all they had. It works just fine though.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Why not get this? http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning...-p4481117.html
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Why spend $17 + shipping when you can spend $3.50 + shipping?

The resistor method works provided you a) buy the correct resistor value for the quantity of bulbs you are swapping and b) solder the resistor into the board correctly.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH

The resistor method works provided you a) buy the correct resistor value for the quantity of bulbs you are swapping and b) solder the resistor into the board correctly.
What you have said is true but for people who don't have much soldering skills I think the flasher works better for a few reasons.

1. It gives you peace of mind in case something happens you can return it to V-LEDS/Warranty and 2. You really can't mess up trying to install this but if you mess up soldering you would have to replace the whole relay which runs $50.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM

The amount of bulbs going in in conjunction with the ohm resistance is a big one as I just found out. With traditional rear signals, my switchbacks weren't working right.

Just got my led rear blinkers and we shall see!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
What you have said is true but for people who don't have much soldering skills I think the flasher works better for a few reasons.

1. It gives you peace of mind in case something happens you can return it to V-LEDS/Warranty and 2. You really can't mess up trying to install this but if you mess up soldering you would have to replace the whole relay which runs $50.

It's really simple to solder the resistor onto the relay. Like I mentioned before, me and a handful of other people in this thread did not have any soldering experience. I never even held a solder gun in my hand prior to this mod. As a matter of fact, this mod is so simple I wouldn't even say you need any soldering experience to do it. Go to youtube and watch 5 minutes of "how to solder" videos and you already have a basic understanding. That's what i did. It's extremely simple and not as hard as people make it out to be. You have to be a real idiot to screw this up (not saying you are)

I spent $1 on my 0.24ohm resistor from a member on here and have had my LEDs front and rear installed and working just fine for a good 3 months now. If anything, I definitely did a half-ass job at soldering it in place and some how, some way, and for some reason it still works just fine. So that should give you a idea of how hard it is to screw up.

Where would you plug in that relay chip module that you linked anyways? I've seen them before and they make it for alot of cars, but I don't even know where you're supposed to plug it into. I can't think of anywhere exactly.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
It's really simple to solder the resistor onto the relay. Like I mentioned before, me and a handful of other people in this thread did not have any soldering experience. I never even held a solder gun in my hand prior to this mod. As a matter of fact, this mod is so simple I wouldn't even say you need any soldering experience to do it. Go to youtube and watch 5 minutes of "how to solder" videos and you already have a basic understanding. That's what i did. It's extremely simple and not as hard as people make it out to be. You have to be a real idiot to screw this up (not saying you are)

I spent $1 on my 0.24ohm resistor from a member on here and have had my LEDs front and rear installed and working just fine for a good 3 months now. If anything, I definitely did a half-ass job at soldering it in place and some how, some way, and for some reason it still works just fine. So that should give you a idea of how hard it is to screw up.

Where would you plug in that relay chip module that you linked anyways? I've seen them before and they make it for alot of cars, but I don't even know where you're supposed to plug it into. I can't think of anywhere exactly.
I am not sure exactly where but I got that link from a TSX forum. I will try to find out!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't be too hasty to say "everyone". I have spent over $100 trying to get this mod to work including buying new resistors, new relay, and new bulbs. My soldering skills are well above par. My rear LED turns have worked fine every since I did this mod. However, my fronts (Type 2 switchbacks) would work fine for about 5 mins of use, then: amber turn on right side, with blinking white on the left AT THE SAME TIME! I've tried everything I can think of short of using inline resistors. So yeah, I know I'm not the only person to have strange issues with this mod.

If you F-up your stock hazard/turn relay. The one from VLED's would be a much cheaper solution. I think the one from the dealer cost me about $50.00.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
Don't be too hasty to say "everyone". I have spent over $100 trying to get this mod to work including buying new resistors, new relay, and new bulbs. My soldering skills are well above par. My rear LED turns have worked fine every since I did this mod. However, my fronts (Type 2 switchbacks) would work fine for about 5 mins of use, then: amber turn on right side, with blinking white on the left AT THE SAME TIME! I've tried everything I can think of short of using inline resistors. So yeah, I know I'm not the only person to have strange issues with this mod.

If you F-up your stock hazard/turn relay. The one from VLED's would be a much cheaper solution. I think the one from the dealer cost me about $50.00.
So I went back a few pages and read up on the issue you were having. I also have been following the issue rockstar143 has been having. A couple pages back, l vsanity l (sorry if spelled incorrectly) also had issues. All 3 of you have/had switchbacks with this mod. There are other examples of people with switchbacks having issues even after they claim to have soldered correctly, bought the correct resistor, etc.

However, there are others claiming to have switchbacks and have had zero issues.

There are people with rear filaments and front LEDs with no issues. There are people with this same combo with issues.

All I can say is that when this mod is performed and people put switchbacks in with rear LEDs and they end up with issues, I am not surprised. I blame the switchbacks, but, without exhaustively combing this thread I cannot 100% say that is the case as I don't think we have a good control/test situation to prove it.

At some point, it would be a good idea to compile all of the bulb/vehicle/resistor combos into one post and then mark each successful/unsuccessful. Through this we could find a desirable combo any noob could stumble into to get this going correctly on their vehicle.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
So I went back a few pages and read up on the issue you were having. I also have been following the issue rockstar143 has been having. A couple pages back, l vsanity l (sorry if spelled incorrectly) also had issues. All 3 of you have/had switchbacks with this mod. There are other examples of people with switchbacks having issues even after they claim to have soldered correctly, bought the correct resistor, etc.

However, there are others claiming to have switchbacks and have had zero issues.

There are people with rear filaments and front LEDs with no issues. There are people with this same combo with issues.

All I can say is that when this mod is performed and people put switchbacks in with rear LEDs and they end up with issues, I am not surprised. I blame the switchbacks, but, without exhaustively combing this thread I cannot 100% say that is the case as I don't think we have a good control/test situation to prove it.

At some point, it would be a good idea to compile all of the bulb/vehicle/resistor combos into one post and then mark each successful/unsuccessful. Through this we could find a desirable combo any noob could stumble into to get this going correctly on their vehicle.
Hey bud, its been awhile. I performed this mod on my new 07 Type-S with two .12 Ohm Digi-Key resistors in parallel. Ive got the old school autolumination Type-1 switchbacks with no issues. I also have V-led brand bulbs in the tails. Hope that helps.

Last edited by gerzand; 12-29-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by gerzand
Hey bud, its been awhile. I performed this mod on my new 07 Type-S with two .12 Ohm Digi-Key resistors in parallel. Ive got the old school autolumination Type-1 switchbacks with no issues. I also have V-led brand bulbs in the tails. Hope that helps.
So can different types of switchbacks draw different currents? I assume that if one brand of switchback had more LED chips than another brand, then, the 2 would draw different levels of current?

Just seems odd when you have some people with switchbacks saying they have no issues, then you have others guys saying everything is jacked up.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
So can different types of switchbacks draw different currents? I assume that if one brand of switchback had more LED chips than another brand, then, the 2 would draw different levels of current?

Just seems odd when you have some people with switchbacks saying they have no issues, then you have others guys saying everything is jacked up.
The only difference that I know of is that the 32(?) LED Type-1 Switchbacks used a logic board to control voltage (and who knows what else), and the 48 LED Type-1 Switchbacks used only resistors. Beats me....I know nothing about Type-2's, though I'd assume they need a microcontroller of some sort...
Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM

And I'm using 120 led bulbs...so who knows, is right. Type 1's seems like a more simple technology.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
is there a difference between these two resistors, because one will allow me to purchase just one and another i must buy 10. can someone please lead me in the right direction, don't wanna be stuck with 10 if the other one is the exact same thing. thanks guys

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...09436382923742

and

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...24CT-ND/596566
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sonofabitch!

Looks like acura changed the relay design after 2004 (my car).. I checked the PN online.. This may be the problem, but what I don't know is if my car could handle the new relay. I know it will fit, but will it work?

Heres what the stock I have now says:

Mitsuba FR-3504
12.8V 85C/M
21WX2 + 5W + 1.4W(LED)
21WX2 + 1.4W(LED)
27W + 21W + 1.4W(LED)
27W Max. 4 Bulbs

(e13)020826

Can someone with an 05-06 cross these schematics on their relay to see what adjustments I may need to get this to work?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

^I tested my new .22 ohm resister, and the same crap is still happening. At night the bulbs will NOT blink, they only stay on (low brightness)...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Are you positive they sold you 7443 bulbs and NOT 7440?

This stinks, man!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Ok...here is a video of them working properly, FINALLY!

120 SMD Switchbacks 7443 from ebay seller
18 SMD 7440 rear red led blinkers
.24 ohm resistor soldered onto board.

Works like a FRIGGIN charm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9no-...ature=youtu.be

Also in there, are my new smoked tail lights and white led smoked sidemarkers.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
KBPftmfw

Looking good rockstar!
rockstar143 (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Thank you sir! Super happy with how she sits right now.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea they are 7443, its got the dual filament. I'm thinking my stock relay is probably to blame.. nobody else seems to have the same problem (05,06)
Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM

I can't wait till you find the solution...seriously!

Worst case scenario, put in the stock one, then put on the crimp style resistor at each corner of the car, no?

Actually, my friend put resistors on the back for his rear LED's and when I popped my switchback into the front it didn't hyperblink.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
anyone have a extra .24ohm 1W resistor?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I can't wait till you find the solution...seriously!

Worst case scenario, put in the stock one, then put on the crimp style resistor at each corner of the car, no?

Actually, my friend put resistors on the back for his rear LED's and when I popped my switchback into the front it didn't hyperblink.
The leds do NOT blink at all if they are already on, which leads me to beleive that it is the 2004 relay. I set the hazards with all lights off, and they did blink brighter than just staying on.. so looks like i need the $30 relay

Originally Posted by italiancip14
anyone have a extra .24ohm 1W resistor?
pm'd

Last edited by HQTL6SPD; 01-03-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Well, keep us posted, my fingers are crossed for you bud!

Quick Reply: G-109: DIY-Eliminate LED Bulb Induced Hyper flashing WITHOUT LOAD RESISTORS