Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Surface News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by cM3go
My comment was really based off the keynote itself. The presenter definitely was reading off a teleprompter and did not appear very prepared. The device visibly failed and he made erratic sounds of panic. Ran over and grabbed another device which also (be it user error or otherwise) had issue. It was awkward and amateur. I think it was a couple WWDC's ago that Apple had a failure, don't remember if it was iPhone or iPad, but it was quickly resolved and gracefully. So that's why I don't have a warm fuzzy about the functionality. As far as the design though, its pretty slick!
Iirc it was for the iPhone, and it was due to too many personal wireless hotspots bogging down the wireless spectrum so they weren't able to get any data running during the demo. Steve had to tell everyone to turn off their hotspots or they wouldn't continue.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
A few tablets were around way before iPad. However Apple executed brilliantly to say the least.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ Proof that M$ has a huge image problem.

They are not viewed in the same light as Apple.
Ease of use, reliability, customer service....they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in the public eye.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Yes but the approach for tablets back then was to run a desktop OS on them. Not an touch optimized OS.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Yes but the approach for tablets back then was to run a desktop OS on them. Not an touch optimized OS.
Correct. And this is where apple changed the game.

But remeber reception when the iPad was announced wasn't people pissing themselves. It was people going blah saying it was just a giant iPod touch.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc

But remeber reception when the iPad was announced wasn't people pissing themselves. It was people going blah saying it was just a giant iPod touch.
lol true, i said the same thing

I think in order for microsoft to do good it does need to steal some of apple's ideologies at least to get back support. With the support hopefully they can start going in their own direction and still have followers.

With everyone crazed up on apple, it really goes like this, if you dont follow apple's way, you dont get noticed. So strategically it may be right to do this?

I mean sure you can say microsoft is a copy cat but they do bring their own innovations to the market as well.

I would say kinect is the best example.

And a even better one would be the research that goes on in their labs as demonstrated under one of the verge's articles where the guy who designed this keyboard is looking into many new things.

Little disclaimer, i'm not a MS fanboy just pointing things out.

Cause when apple copies someone no body but the so called android/MS fanboys call them out.

If android/MS copy apple, everyone calls them out.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

i kind of felt the same way to.

but after using it. i like it alot.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Proof that M$ has a huge image problem.

They are not viewed in the same light as Apple.
Ease of use, reliability, customer service....they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in the public eye.
Microsoft does have a image problem but the public kinda judges Apple differently as well.

The iPhone antenna problems were kinda blown off by apple and they "solved" it by a sleeve cover.

I still prefer Windows 7 to latest Apple's Mac O/S, but iOS is superior to the Android and Windows 7 mobile.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

They stole it from Picard!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Hmmm jobs' pad looks more like picards pad
Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Microsoft Surface tablets may not match iPad battery life

Rough estimates put battery lifespan at between 6 and 12.5 hours, depending on the model and OS

Computerworld - Microsoft's new Surface tablets may not match Apple's iPad on battery life, according to estimates made by Computerworld based on comparable devices.

On Monday, when Microsoft unveiled its Surface tablet line-up, it revealed the watt-hour (Wh) capacity of the batteries, but made no claims about how long those batteries would keep each device running under various conditions.

The omission was noticed by virtually every observer, blogger and analyst alike.

"They didn't talk about battery life, which is very important to decisions about [which] tablet to buy," said Michael Cherry of Directions on Microsoft, a Wash.-based research firm that focuses solely on Microsoft moves.

Unlike laptops such as Apple's MacBook Air and Windows "ultrabooks," which are often used for long stretches at a desk or near an outlet, tablets are meant to be more mobile. That makes battery lifespan critical to their operation -- and market success.

It's possible to estimate the battery life of the two Surface tablets by comparing their watt-hour ratings with existing products that have made between-charges claims. (A 30Wh rating means the battery can produce one watt of power for 30 hours, or, say, 6 watts of power for 5 hours.)

Microsoft assigned a 31.4Wh rating to the Windows RT Surface -- the tablet powered by Windows RT, an offshoot of Windows 8 designed to run on the power-miserly ARM processor architecture -- and gave the Windows 8 Pro Surface a rating of 42Wh.

The Windows 8 Pro Surface (or just "Surface Pro") runs on Intel processors, and is the same operating system that will power traditional laptops and even desktop PCs when it launches later this year.

Apple's current iPad, which leads the tablet market in sales, includes a 42.5Wh battery that Apple claims lasts 10 hours while browsing the Web, watching video or listening to music.

The Windows RT Surface (or "Surface") battery capacity is 25% less than the iPad's, putting its lifespan at 7.5 hours, or 25% less than the iPad's 10 hours.

A comparison with the iPad 2, which Apple continues to sell for $399, gives a longer lifespan estimate, however. The iPad 2's screen resolution is nearer to that likely used by the Surface; unfortunately, display resolution was another missing piece of information.

The iPad 2 features a 25Wh battery, approximately 25% less than the Surface; that would result in a battery life estimate of about 12.5 hours for the Surface based on the iPad 2's 10 hours. The average of the two numbers for the Surface -- 7.5 and 12.5 hours -- is 10 hours, or exactly the same as the iPad.

The Surface Pro is a different story.

The power-hungry Intel processor in the Surface Pro and the full-fledged Windows 8 operating system -- which will likely require more memory so users can run several applications at once -- makes it more like an ultrabook than a tablet, a fact Microsoft tacitly admitted when it said the price of the Surface Pro would be "comparable ... [with an] Intel ultrabook-class PC."

Apple's 11.6-in. MacBook Air -- considered the benchmark that Windows computer makers are shooting for -- is similar enough to the Surface Pro in specs, albeit with a slightly larger screen than the 10.6-in. used in Microsoft's tablets, for comparison purposes.

That MacBook Air sports a 35Wh battery rated to last 5 hours of browsing via Wi-Fi.

But the Surface Pro's battery has 20% more battery capacity, according to Microsoft, putting that device's lifespan at 6 hours, near but not equal to the seven-to-nine hours that numerous Windows ultrabooks boast. Admittedly, those laptops are significantly thicker and bigger than the Surface Pro, and have more room for larger batteries.

Hardware guru Kyle Wiens, the CEO of iFixit, a website that tears apart devices to create do-it-yourself repair guides, cautioned against reading too much into the estimates: There are simply too many unknowns that will determine Surface battery life.

<1--pagebreak-->
"It's a whole system," said Wiens in an interview this week, talking about power-saving design.

Among the factors that will affect battery life for the Surface and Surface Pro, said Wiens, are how successful Microsoft is at integrating power management features; how many cores the processors have and how well those cores are managed; the screen resolution; how many applications can run simultaneously; and how Windows RT and Windows 8 handle power consumption by those active apps.

Microsoft has disclosed some power consumption details about Windows RT and Windows 8.

In a blog post last February, two program managers on the operating system's Fundamentals and User Experience teams described the power handling, including something they called "Connected Standby." It mimics a smartphone-like, deep-sleep power mode on ARM, the processor used by the Surface.

Their post followed one the previous November by a program manager on the Windows Kernel team that discussed Windows 8 power management in more general terms.

The more recent missive spelled out the various power states of Metro apps, including one that suspends an app that has been opened, but is not currently in use.

"Since the operating system is not scheduling the app, the app is not using the CPU, and it is possible for the CPU to drop into lower power states," said the two program managers, Sharif Farag and Ben Srour. "Getting the CPU into low power states can be critical to achieving better battery life."

Although what the Microsoft officials discussed may have been new to Windows, such steps are commonly used by other mobile operating systems, including Apple's iOS and Google's Android, on smartphones and tablets.

Wiens was eager to get his hands on a Surface to tear it down, look inside and try to scout out the tablet's internal organs and get a better feel for its battery life.

iFixit will do a teardown of the Surface when Microsoft launches the tablet. The company has said it will debut the Windows RT-powered model at the same time Windows 8 goes on sale. Most analysts expect that in September or October.

Wiens also pointed out that, at least by the design drawings Microsoft has published of the Surface, the tablet may be easier to get into, perhaps for battery replacement by the owner. Those renderings show what appear to be Torx screws fastening the case.

Last week, iFixit called the new lighter, thinner MacBook Pro -- the first Apple notebook to feature a "Retina"-style high resolution display -- "the least-repairable laptop we've taken apart."

"Let's hope Microsoft will be better at letting users repair or upgrade their own devices," said Wiens.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...d_battery_life
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
what a worthless article...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
AZ Community Team

^ +1, the only decent quote is by the guy from iFixit which said there are too many unknowns at this point.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Hi stogie!

I see you!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I think the reason they didn't list too many specs is that they don't want to piss off their partners. I think they want to set a benchmark for design and functionality but not what CPU, RAM, screen res(besides Win 8s minimum requirements), battery life and price.

If MS announces a hot tablet with bad ass CPU, RAM, hi-res screen and awesome battery life for a hella cheap price then their partners are gonna be hella pissed and will be forced to change their plans to match MS.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

he said "hella"
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Todays afternoon high for temperature is going to be between 60 degrees and 125 degrees with an overnight low between 40 and -25 degrees

Aka we don't have a fucking clue....
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Surface: A desperate move to catch Apple, says report

It was getting harder and harder to catch Apple's iPad. So, Microsoft took matters into its own hands, says a report.

by Brooke Crothers |June 24, 2012 10:07 PM PDT

Was Microsoft's Surface tablet an act of desperation? Yes, says a report in the New York Times.

Microsoft and the PC hardware industry were failing miserably at taking on Apple's iPad, forcing Redmond's hand, according to the report.

How critical was the situation becoming? Some assertions from the article:

•Apple's control of key materials: Materials like high-quality aluminum were purchased in such large quantities that Apple virtually cornered the market for certain materials. Because PC makers were not responding to threats like this, Microsoft feared PC players were falling further and further behind Apple.

•Shortcomings of the Microsoft-Intel business model: Microsoft and Intel -- so-called "Wintel" -- sucked up much of the profit, leaving PC makers with limited resources to innovate.

•Lack of trust between Microsoft and PC makers: device makers lost faith in Microsoft. Despite paying hefty licensing fees, Microsoft was not delivering the touch capability that was necessary to be competitive. HP "fumed" at Microsoft's inability to craft decent touch software sooner. For example, the Windows 7 touch experience was subpar, hardly measuring up to Apple.

•Failed Hewlett-Packard tablets: HP's Intel-based Windows tablet -- first shown at CES in 2010 -- ultimately suffered from mediocre chips, buggy software, and HP's decision to use merely "sufficient" components. And HP's strategy of buying Palm and creating the TouchPad failed.
And it probably wouldn't be a stretch to say that the rift between Microsoft and its hardware partners was a subtext of Monday's Microsoft Surface announcement: we're doing a tablet because we think we can do it better than our hardware partners.

And it's also not a stretch to say that Microsoft's foray into the tablet business will not improve the strained relationship with its hardware partners, who are now forced to compete against not only each other but Microsoft too.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-574...e-says-report/
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ desperate times call for desperate measures.

As the old saying goes: Lead, Follow, or get out of the way.

M$ has decided to follow.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I've always hated on M$ business model to depend on others to make it happen.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Lenovo just announced the ThinkPad Tablet 2 and it looks pretty suite!

Run Windows Pro on Intel chip, 9.8mm thin! 10hrs battery! 1.3lbs, 10.1 screen with fingerprint reader, stylus, 3g capability.

Looks nice too! dat keyboard!

We got to spend some time with the device Lenovo called "the tablet the industry has been waiting for" at an event in New York City today. We came away relatively impressed, despite the fact that Lenovo doesn't appear to be doing anything differently from other OEMs when it comes to Windows 8. When attached to the keyboard dock the device does legitimately feel like a laptop — the dock uses the same keyboard as many of Lenovo's recent ultrabooks, which is a very good thing — but by itself the device is a light and sturdy tablet. The pen input works well, though Windows 8 is so gesture-reliant that occupying your whole hand with a pen can be tough. It's a sturdy and well-made device that's comfortable to hold in one hand, and as we navigated through Windows 8 and a handful of Lenovo's own apps everything was fluid and fast.
Should be available at or around Windows 8 launch on Oct 26th, no pricing announced yet

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/8/322...nkpad-tablet-2
Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
looks respectable, pricing will be interesting. I have always like lenovo products and If I was in the market for a windows portable theirs would be near the top, here's hoping they have brought that build quality to this.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Sanest Florida Man

This is my next is a special feature where writers of The Verge sound off on their latest deep, dark desires from the world of technology.

My MacBook Air and my iPad are basically my fifth and sixth limbs. I rarely go anywhere without them, I use each for hours every day, and in general I'm really happy with both of them.

Come October 26th, though, I'm ditching them both.
I don't know yet if I'm buying a Microsoft Surface or a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet or an Asus Transformer Book, or something else entirely. But I'm buying a Windows 8 device as my only computer, and I can't wait.

WINDOWS 8 KNOWS WE USE COMPUTERS DIFFERENTLY NOW

I've been using Windows 8 for months, beginning with the Consumer Preview that was announced at Mobile World Congress in February. Back then it was buggy and unstable, with as many problems as it had exciting new features. Now it's a stable, fast, powerful operating system — but that's not why I'll be switching this fall.

I'll be switching because Windows 8 is the first desktop operating system that understands what a computer is supposed to do in 2012, and it’s at once more productive and more fun than any OS I’ve used before.

One device, zero compromises

I should make one caveat up front: I'm assuming that at least one manufacturer will make a decent Windows 8 product from day one. I feel good about that assumption: the Surface looks excellent, as does the ThinkPad Tablet 2. There are sure to be dozens of other Windows 8 options flooding the market this holiday season, and my fingers are crossed that at least one will be worth its asking price. (I'm particularly intrigued by two Asus products: the wacky, two-screen Asus TaiChi and the Transformer Book.)

But I've been testing Windows 8 primarily on a Samsung Series 7 tablet — a decidedly unimpressive piece of hardware — and it's still opened my eyes to a wonderful new way of using a computer. It's the future I imagined with the Motorola Atrix, and again with the Asus Padfone: you have a single device that stores all your data, and you add or remove accessories and peripherals as necessary. I can drop my Series 7 tablet into a dock, add a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and connect a monitor — poof, I've got a full-fledged dual-monitor setup going. When I want to go somewhere, I just pick the device up out of the dock, and walk out the door tablet in hand.

I don't have to remember to sync, or transfer my files, or think about which device makes more sense for a certain place or situation.
It's like playing with legos, assembling and disassembling different machines from the same parts depending on what I feel like that day.

FORGET PHABLETS — WINDOWS 8 IS FOR TABTOPS

Sure, the transformer thing has been done before, even by devices called the Transformer. Windows 8 is clearly the first OS designed with both capabilities in mind, though, and it shows. Navigating Android via keyboard and mouse is a mess; ditto iOS. But once you're armed with a half-dozen keyboard shortcuts and gestures, Windows 8 is equally easy to navigate with two fingers or keyboard and mouse. I've even found that I'll switch frequently back and forth, depending on what I'm doing; I'll edit photos with a mouse, then pick the tablet up and swipe my way through an article I'm editing, tapping and leaving quick notes with the on-screen keyboard.

It IS the internet

When I reviewed the latest revision of Google's Chromebooks, I had similar Padfone-like futuristic visions — visions of always being online, always being connected, everything always up to date and aware of what's happening in the world. But ultimately Chrome OS is just a browser — a window to the web wider than most, sure, but still a window you have to crawl through to get anywhere.

Using Windows 8 is like living in a house made out of internet. There's a browser, sure (and it's a good one despite being named Internet Explorer), but the whole OS is constantly changing and updating because its every fiber is connected to the internet. As Paul Miller noted last week, the computer itself has morphed from hub to spoke, giving you access to things rather than managing those things itself. Windows 8 fills that role beautifully, and luckily for me I’m not taking a year away from the internet so I get to enjoy the benefits.

The People app, for instance, isn't just a list of contacts you have to manage (or ignore to your peril), but instead a collection of information your friends have added about themselves. If someone changes their phone number on Facebook, I automatically have their new phone number. (Its ability to end the "I lost my phone — need your numbers!" Facebook groups is by itself a reason to upgrade to Windows 8.) News and Travel are alive, always serving new content that I never have to go looking for. On my MacBook Air, I’d say upwards of 80 percent of my time is spent in the browser, but on Windows 8 it’s all about apps and tiles.

PHONE-LIKE USABILITY MEETS LAPTOP-LIKE FUNCTIONALITY

Everything funnels through the Start Screen, which borrows heavily from the Windows Phone UI that is apparently not called Metro anymore. The Start Screen is a brilliant innovation for desktop computers, a huge improvement on the folder-littered desktops on every other OS, which serve exactly no purpose except to show a background photo. The Start Screen makes it possible to check a dozen things in five seconds — from any app, just tap the Windows key, and you can check to see if you have a new email, an upcoming appointment, inclement weather, or any breaking news. Tap the Windows key again, and you're back to your original app. Imagine how long checking all of those things would take using Mountain Lion. (In fairness, that could’ve been what the OS X dashboard was, but Apple missed that boat pretty badly.)

Ultimately, that's what I love about Windows 8: without losing any power or capability, it added a ton of the features I love about my phone, from full-screen optimized apps to pretty interfaces to lots of glanceable content. I don't need to spend all my time bouncing between a dozen different apps, because so much information is already surfaced for me. Even the lock screen is more useful, showing messages or calendar events; Mountain Lion just shows me my picture and asks me for my password.

If I want to do more powerful, more complex things, the desktop mode is available and as capable as ever — Photoshop’s not going away any time soon. Most of the time, though, I just want to fire off an email, or read news, or play some sweet sweet Minesweeper. For those things, the Windows 8 experience is every bit as immersive and thought-out as it is on my phone — and it makes the transition between laptop and tablet really well. Even for little things like settings menus and accessing your calendar, Microsoft's latest OS is staggeringly smarter, simpler, better-designed, and easier to understand and use (at least, once you get past the small initial learning curve).

If I were a Windows user, the upgrade would be a no-brainer. But I'm not already a Windows user, and I can't wait to get my hands on a Windows 8 device, toss my MacBook Air out a window (or at least into a closet), and finally start working with an OS that gets how we work in 2012.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/16/32...next-windows-8

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 08-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The device looks interesting, although it seems more like a productivity device rather then pure entertainment (iPad, android tabs). I don't see them trying to market it like that though and it'll be too big, bulky and not have enough battery life to compete with what's already out there.

Hopefully the OS isn't super locked down either, for example on the Windows 8 (?) starter kit you can't even change the desktop background. Wtf.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Sanest Florida Man

There is no Windows 8 Starter. I didn't know the 9.3mm thin Surface (thinner than the iPad) was considered bulky. Battery life should be as good if not better than the iPad, since it's made using similar components.

The lenovo has a slightly bigger screen than the iPad, weighs less and has the same battery life as the iPad, and it has what should be a much more powerful Intel chip.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Not sure where to put this but I guess this seems the best.

I don't have a windows 8 tablet yet but I sort of do now....

I'm a member of the Jump RDP client beta, Jump is an awesome iOS remote desktop app.

The beta version 5.0 they released today not only supports RDP on Windows 8 (v4 doesn't) it now supports passing on all the touch inputs directly to the windows 8 RDP host! RDP on Windows 8 supports the ability to control Windows 8 remotely using all the touch commands, like swiping from the left side to switch apps, swiping from the top or bottom for App commands or swiping from the right for the charms bar, and the usual pinch to zoom multi-touch stuff.

So using my iPad and the jump client I remoted into my Win 8 desktop and controlled it like it was a tablet and it worked pretty well for it being remote. there was some expected lag due to the nature of it being an RDP session but it was usable, much easier to control than a windows 7 box over RDP on an ipad.

Currently the metro version of chrome is pretty shitty though, metro IE is much better, pinch to zoom is a joke on metro chrome.

There were a couple things I couldn't do, I couldn't get it to pull up the previous app list on the left side of the screen (similar to double-tapping home on iPad) and since it wasn't a windows tablet I couldn't press the start button to show the start screen I always had to swipe from the right and press start, obviously pressing the home button on the ipad would close the remote app....

I'll try and take a video of it, it's pretty neat, I played with it for a few hours...

If you've got windows 8 and an iPad (which I think is only Whiskers and I) then def get version 5.0 of the Jump Client when it comes out

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 08-27-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Oh and swiping from the left with one finger to switch apps is pretty bad ass! I like it better than the 4-finger swipe on the iPad. Also swiping left and right in an app like Metro IE will move you forwards and backwards, in Metro IE's case it goes between webpages, very nice.

And all of it works remotely. It's fuckin. Kick. Ass.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Sanest Florida Man

After following the Apple Samsung case, I notice that MS definitely licensed the bounce-back, double-tap to zoom, and multi-touch scrolling patents from Apple. I think it was part of their 1997 cross-licensing deal. Though double-tap to zoom doesn't zoom in as close as it does on the iPad, since it's a widescreen I think that's a good thing, though I'd like to try it in portrait mode to see too, however I can't rotate between portrait and landscape remotely, that would be bad ass though!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Oh and swiping from the left with one finger to switch apps is pretty bad ass! I like it better than the 4-finger swipe on the iPad. Also swiping left and right in an app like Metro IE will move you forwards and backwards, in Metro IE's case it goes between webpages, very nice.

And all of it works remotely. It's fuckin. Kick. Ass.
I don't like the one finger to switch apps since I swipe like crazy sometimes when scrolling or what not and might accidentally change apps
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I've yet to accidentally switch apps. You have to swipe from edge on the left side of the screen.

The keyboard makes a different sound to differentiate the letters from the spacebar! That's one thing I've wanted apple to add for a while.

I got the previous app switcher to show up

This is working really we'll, very impressed
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 AM

yea id still some how manage to mess it up. it was one thing that pissed me off about webOS as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

^ You can turn it off in settings...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gHHApNJS3LQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By porting the full engine as opposed to a modified mobile version, NVIDIA and Epic have made it easy for UE3 developers around the world to bring their best content to Windows RT, Windows 8 and NVIDIA’s Tegra 3 processor. Windows RT code is available to licensees from Epic now and we’re excited to see the great games they develop with it.
I wonder if this means that apps/games in the Windows Store will not be universal, I thought that was a requirement......
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gHHApNJS3LQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By porting the full engine as opposed to a modified mobile version, NVIDIA and Epic have made it easy for UE3 developers around the world to bring their best content to Windows RT, Windows 8 and NVIDIA’s Tegra 3 processor. Windows RT code is available to licensees from Epic now and we’re excited to see the great games they develop with it.
I wonder if this means that apps/games in the Windows Store will not be universal, I thought that was a requirement......
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8mSckyoAMHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

A little much, I think.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Microsoft Surface RT priced at $499 or $599 with Touch Cover keyboard
After announcing its Surface tablets nearly four months ago, Microsoft has now unveiled the pricing for both of its ARM-based Surface RT tablets at its Microsoft online stores. The 10.6-inch Surface, powered by Windows RT, will go on sale on October 26th and will be priced starting at $499 for the 32GB version without Touch Cover and a 32GB version with the Touch Cover for $599. Microsoft is also offering 64GB model for $699 with a Touch Cover included. The 9.3mm thin tablet weighs just 1.5lbs and includes a built-in kickstand and vapor-deposited (PVD) magnesium case.

Microsoft listed its Surface pricing at its online Microsoft Store this morning, indicating that pre-orders will be available shortly. The company has also listed the prices for its Touch Cover, at $119.99 each, and Type Cover for $129.99. The Touch Cover appears to be available in white, red, black, blue, and purple colors – while the Type Cover is listed as a single item in black.

Microsoft's advertising campaign for its Surface devices has already kicked off, with Surface street art spotted in a number of US cities over the past few weeks. The software maker will hold a Surface reception event for press and analysts on October 25th, and some of the company's holiday pop-up stores will open at midnight on October 26th to start selling the tablets.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3...g-availability
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Not sure if I would be happy with RT.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
So this is the non-pro model....are they also wifi only?

If I had known this I would have stopped by the MS at the mall I was just at this afternoon seeing a movie....I've actually never been in there...

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Surface News and Discussion Thread