Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Surface News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,112 Likes on 6,104 Posts
2nd to last pic looks like it has a mag safe like port on the side...
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Well now...

I mean isn't this sacrilege...where are all the anti apple fanboys screaming and crying about such an atrocity!?!
Zunes didn't have a removable battery either

I think most people's minds have changed over time....
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Here it is, Microsoft Surface, the all new, Microsoft-made tablet. We just had our hands on the sleek new device, and we must say — it does feel incredibly well designed.

Microsoft is only showing off the Windows RT version of the Surface, which means ARM CPU and a thinner, 9.3mm form factor. The design and build of the tablets the company has here feel very polished, with tight, clean lines. The device was also surprisingly light, barely feeling like it reached the full 1.5 pounds Microsoft is quoting. The 10.6-inch, 16:9 display also looked crystal clear at a variety of angles. We tried out the kickstand and had some trouble popping it out of the back of the tablet — but apparently there's a side cutaway which makes it easier to flip it out. Just as promised, it does close with a reassuring, expensive sounding click. The "VaporMg" finish on the case of the Surface feels like it'll be easy to grip, although we do wonder if the edges will feel just a little sharp with extended use.

Microsoft was eager to show both of keyboards it will be selling. The key travel on the physical keyboard is actually quite nice for the thinness on the Type Cover. As far as the Touch Cover goes, while we'd like to believe Microsoft when it says that the touch typing experience on the multicolored version will feel natural, we'll wait until we can spend more time with it to render judgment. The magnetic attachment is just as satisfying as the kickstand, with a strong magnetic click that can't be misaligned.

On the software side, reps are demoing much of what we've already seen in Windows 8, but the attractive housing does make us want to spend just a little bit more time playing around. If you were expecting any software surprises, we have yet to find them. As far as specs go, Microsoft is saying it will come in 32GB or 64GB versions, and we've also learned that it is using an Nvidia Tegra processor.

We're getting more detail and fleshing out as we go, so stay tuned for more (including video)!
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/30...rface-hands-on
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6WbGAaVWmBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
THIS is a real game changer!!

A tablet that will actually be useful and productive!!!!
It is the portable laptop. Damn. Kudos Microsoft, you really pulled this out of nowhere! Now just have to wait for the price and hopefully they do it like the XBOX where they sell it at a loss so that they recuperate later on through other means.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
2nd to last pic looks like it has a mag safe like port on the side...
wasnt it M$ that recently panted a mag safe like port that does both data and charging?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM

yes.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/m...t-application/
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM

the pins do look the same
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Sanest Florida Man

could be coming to phones too
Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Ms did mention early on in the presentation that this tablet was part of a new family of devices. So it seems likely to me that there will be a phone member of the family as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I would be shocked if there is not a matching phone.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Zunes didn't have a removable battery either

I think most people's minds have changed over time....
Amazing how that happens

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
THIS is a real game changer!!

A tablet that will actually be useful and productive!!!!
It is the portable laptop. Damn. Kudos Microsoft, you really pulled this out of nowhere! Now just have to wait for the price and hopefully they do it like the XBOX where they sell it at a loss so that they recuperate later on through other means.
Yeah...not going to happen. This isn't a game system network, they aren't developing multi million dollar game franchises that will eventually pay of in 3-4 years. The device would be DOA if they pull that stunt.

I like what I'm seeing...but I do think its overcomplicated...there is a lot going on, which means there is a lot that can go wrong. Time will tell on that matter.

But this will be nice in pushing apple to take it to the next level.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Couple of things I don't like.
16:9 screen. My work laptop has one and my kids mac mini has one. I hate them both. I like 16:10 for work much better. 16:9 doesn't have a large enough viewing area for productivity IMO.

I think they should have just released the ARM version this year. Having ARM and Intel will confuse consumers. "So if I buy this one, it won't run all the stuff that the other one can. Why do I want this one?"

Last edited by doopstr; 06-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Team Owner

http://www.electronista.com/articles...gorilla.glass/

The company chose to embrace 1920x1080 full HD resolution for the Intel model, rather than opting for the higher pixel density of Apple's Retina iPad, while the ARM-based counterpart steps down to 1280x720 resolution.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Do people really think this way? Its pretty sad. Robert Scoble talking about Microsoft Surface

One day I met Steve Jobs in the street (back when I worked for Microsoft). He said "nice to meet the guys who are copying us."

I never imagined just how true that would turn out to be. Steve Ballmer's strategy seems to be:

1. Copy iPhone. Check!
2. Copy Stores. Check!
3. Copy AppleTV's ability to play video wirelessly from iPad. Check!
4. Copy iPad. Check! http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/th...t-microsofts-t (great post that lays out the new Surface impact from Microsoft).

What else is there left to copy? Oh, the cool aspirational advertising? The love Apple gets from developers? (Last night another developer and I were arguing about whether Apple continues to be in the driver's seat. I was actually arguing that the Samsung SIII was going to take developers away from Apple. He was having none of it).

But seriously, Microsoft has no choice here. Its business model is getting uprooted, as I can tell by all the iPhones I saw in the Tube last night. I didn't see a single Windows Phone. Not a single one out of seeing hundreds of phones and folks who live here confirm that seeing a Windows Phone is a very rare thing indeed. I also saw tons of iPads and Kindles and this new tablet is aimed at both of those.

Well, we know know where Microsoft is going: straight to copying Apple. Will that be a successful business strategy for Microsoft? I'm not very confident it will be. Everyone knows that the iPad has really great apps out for it and this new Surface will be welcomed to the market just the same way Windows Phone has been welcomed to the market: with 3% marketshare or so.

Now the ball is in another Seattle company's court: Amazon. What is Jeff Bezos up to? How will he beat Apple? I think Amazon is going to be the real innovator here. It's the one that probably keeps Tim Cook up at night.

I have noticed a trend, though. Lots of journalists are doing their best to cheer this new Microsoft effort. Just like they tried to cheer Windows Phone (journalists like it when there's a good market competition, because that means more readers, more stories, and more distribution channels for their content). One set of journalists took me aside at yesterday's Facebook Olympics launch and explained why they don't like Facebook all that much: because Facebook doesn't give them much of a way to make money.

They don't like Apple for the same reason because Apple takes 30% of every dollar that rolls through its machine and they are hoping for a real competitor to come along that would keep Apple honest. The thing is the iPad already has Flipboard and until Microsoft Surface has anything cooler the market is going to be fairly harsh. Remember, this new Surface computer doesn't run traditional Windows applications!

Some kudos for Microsoft, though. Finally you are free of backward compatibility with Windows apps. Finally you are free of all those IT CTOs who want to run old software that they invested in in the 1990s (er, remember Visual Basic?!?) Finally you have a cool hardware design that matches last year's iPad (has any Windows OEM been able to do that? No!)

Well, welcome Microsoft to the new post-PC world. Good luck with that!
Source: https://plus.google.com/111091089527...ts/2MUQCk3Anph

I seriously don't understand how people like him become "Tech" journalists.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Sanest Florida Man

yeah I doubt the ARM one has a 720 screen. MS minimum recommended specs for the Metro UI is 1366x768. So it'll most likely be that. Also the ARM version is supposedly launching with Windows RT and the Intel version will launch a few months later.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I'm also not liking the 16:9 screen. I feel 4:3 is best all around aspect ratio for tablets. But MS does do the app side by side thing which only works good on 16:9 so maybe. They also seem to be pushing that their tablets should mainly be held in landscape and not portrait like the iPad.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jozTK-MqEXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

@13.39 and @14:12 when it doesn't do what he wants.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by doopstr
@13.39 and @14:12 when it doesn't do what he wants.

That got me to watch part of it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

So the Intel version just has a fancy vent and no fans?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Draw back....you are gonna have to buy this at Best Buy, Amazon, Frys, Newegg....etc and so on.

If or when you drop it, or it has a warranty issue, you get to deal with the above.

Now if M$ goes out and copies Apple on its customer service....then they will have seriously won the tablet game.

There is something fantastic about being able to walk into an Apple store, not feel harassed by the employees, and getting your product replaced / repaired on the spot, no questions asked.....even those occasion where you just might not be under warranty.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Draw back....you are gonna have to buy this at Best Buy, Amazon, Frys, Newegg....etc and so on.

If or when you drop it, or it has a warranty issue, you get to deal with the above.

Now if M$ goes out and copies Apple on its customer service....then they will have seriously won the tablet game.

There is something fantastic about being able to walk into an Apple store, not feel harassed by the employees, and getting your product replaced / repaired on the spot, no questions asked.....even those occasion where you just might not be under warranty.
No. MS says it will only be available at the MS physical and online store.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
The Third Ball

Go to Century City...right around the corner from the apple store...is a MS store...its such a blatant attempted rip off of their business model, too. And I think they want to copy apple's retail and go full bore on opening more.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

No. MS says it will only be available at the MS physical and online store.
Go to Century City...right around the corner from the apple store...is a MS store...its such a blatant attempted rip off of their business model, too. And I think they want to copy apple's retail and go full bore on opening more.
Well, so is the surface

Can't beat 'em...copy 'em.
...but I give M$ credit in improving the model. It's always easier to follow and improve, rather than set the trend.

So....does the M$ stores offer the same legendary customer service as Apple?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^The funny thing is, the Apple store at Century is filled with people. The MS and Sony stores, (both ripoffs) not so much.

Though I will say that both stores and staff are very nice for what they are. The MS and Sony stores have video game products, so my kids like them a little more.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
This is a very impressive device if it works. It would have been nice to at least introduce a price and/or release date.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

So many peeps saying "if it works" or "if it does what it's supposed to do".

After all these years M$ is still having to fight its reputation (both deserved or not deserved) of OS being "unreliable" or "horrible".

They have an uphill battle.

I suspect the tablets will be malware magnets.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
^^The funny thing is, the Apple store at Century is filled with people. The MS and Sony stores, (both ripoffs) not so much.

Though I will say that both stores and staff are very nice for what they are. The MS and Sony stores have video game products, so my kids like them a little more.
I've honestly never been in to the MS store...I just walk by it all the time (its like my wife's 2nd home ) plus I actually like that theater.

I've been into the Sony store once to check out some of their mirror less cameras, and the lady there was very nice and helpful.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 06-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by cM3go
This is a very impressive device if it works. It would have been nice to at least introduce a price and/or release date.
Thats a big difference between apple and MS right now.

When you watch an Apple keynote...its been prepped for weeks. Rehearsed to the 9s...Jobs always demanded perfection. They use full production models that have been rigorously tested...and they always provide price and release info (i think the OG iPhone announcement was the major deviation from their usual layout.) And while no one certainly has the charisma of Jobs on stage...their emotions and their true excitement for what they've made always comes across. And that is contagious.

Watching just the couple minutes of the MS keynote...its obvious they were reading prompters which just kills any emotion. They were nervous/stiff...and they were prototype models that obviously knew had the potential to screw up...hence the guy running back to switch out to another unit mid spiel.

And I'm not trying to knock surface in any way...it has some cool ideas, and some things warrant merit. But the iPad has set the bar very high, and while some people might ohh and ahh over the design....their reliability better be solid, or they are fucked.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

After all these years M$ is still having to fight its reputation (both deserved or not deserved) of OS being "unreliable" or "horrible".

My comment was really based off the keynote itself. The presenter definitely was reading off a teleprompter and did not appear very prepared. The device visibly failed and he made erratic sounds of panic. Ran over and grabbed another device which also (be it user error or otherwise) had issue. It was awkward and amateur. I think it was a couple WWDC's ago that Apple had a failure, don't remember if it was iPhone or iPad, but it was quickly resolved and gracefully. So that's why I don't have a warm fuzzy about the functionality. As far as the design though, its pretty slick!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
The Third Ball

Can't beat 'em...copy 'em.
...but I give M$ credit in improving the model. It's always easier to follow and improve, rather than set the trend.
I didn't want to be the one to say that.

I was gonna say:

Apple's tag has been "Think Different"

MS is now "Follow the Leader"
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by cM3go
My comment was really based off the keynote itself. The presenter definitely was reading off a teleprompter and did not appear very prepared. The device visibly failed and he made erratic sounds of panic. Ran over and grabbed another device which also (be it user error or otherwise) had issue. It was awkward and amateur. I think it was a couple WWDC's ago that Apple had a failure, don't remember if it was iPhone or iPad, but it was quickly resolved and gracefully. So that's why I don't have a warm fuzzy about the functionality. As far as the design though, its pretty slick!
Bingo...pretty much what I said.

The design is slick...but I have my curiosities about it.

How long will it take for the built in stand to become loose and and pain?

The keyboard idea is cool...but I can't see it working any better than using the touch keypad on the iPad, which has several 3rd party option for mini case foldable keyboards. IE because its of flat...how nice will actually be to type on...and how fast are those thin buttons going to wear out?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I didn't want to be the one to say that.

I was gonna say:

Apple's tag has been "Think Different"

MS is now "Follow the Leader"
I'm not knocking M$ surface. I think they improved the tablet market.
...and no doubt if it succeeds, Apple will employ some of M$ ideas into the iPad at some point.

If M$ debuts their own smartphone, it will clearly be a case of taking the iPhone to a new level.

Innovation Vs Improving

Apples and Oranges
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM
The Third Ball

I'm not knocking M$ surface. I think they improved the tablet market.
...and no doubt if it succeeds, Apple will employ some of M$ ideas into the iPad at some point.

If M$ debuts their own smartphone, it will clearly be a case of taking the iPhone to a new level.

Innovation Vs Improving

Apples and Oranges
As I mentioned earlier...Im happy for the competition as we all know it breeds improvement.

But MS clearly hit their peak a long time ago and has been struggling to find themselves again...and what best way to imitate the successful competition.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery after all.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

As I mentioned earlier...Im happy for the competition as we all know it breeds improvement.

But MS clearly hit their peak a long time ago and has been struggling to find themselves again...and what best way to imitate the successful competition.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery after all.
No doubt.

They were successful with the Xbox...after following Sony.

Failed on the Zune.

Can they succeed again following another Apple product?

Maybe

M$ has an image problem.
They are not viewed in the same "glowing" light as Apple.
They are not viewed as "cool" "hip" "trendy".
They are not viewed as "reliable" "easy to use" "slick"
Customer Service is not their strong suit.

If they can improve their image through product development and marketing......
Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

One of the tablets hung up during the demo. The guy had to boogie back to the podium to get another one.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by doopstr
One of the tablets hung up during the demo. The guy had to boogie back to the podium to get another one.
Let's be honest...that's probably a prototype issue, and not a reflection of the final product.....happens to Apple too.

Still funny though.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

M$ has an image problem.
They are not viewed in the same "glowing" light as Apple.
They are not viewed as "cool" "hip" "trendy".
They are not viewed as "reliable" "easy to use" "slick"
Customer Service is not their strong suit.

If they can improve their image through product development and marketing......
That's cause Steve Ballmer is an over zealous whack job. He needs to turn it down a notch, or have someone else be the face of MS. He does not personify cool.

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Surface News and Discussion Thread