Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

BlackBerry Storm Review (after 1 week)

Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
BlackBerry Storm Review (after 1 week)

So I bit the bullet and got the BlackBerry Storm. At first I wasn't going to because of the cost of the plans they listed on-line, but then after going to the store I asked about the plans and they said I could get the phone by adding the $30/month unlimited data plan. Basically, the cheapest BB plan that Verizon lists on their website is $80, but the cheapest way of getting the Storm is to have the $40 voice plan and the $30 data plan.

Right out of the box the phone is a looker! The screen is big and clear. A hard re-boot of the phone takes a long time, maybe 2-3 minutes, but just a quick turn-off and turn-on does not take very long. When I first started playing with the phone, I was definitely confused. Part of it is never before having a phone with BB software, and part of it was getting used to the phone itself. But as the saying goes, practice makes perfect, and it definitely applies to this phone.

I was having trouble clicking on things because the default text size is very small, but I figured out that I can increase the font size and even the font itself for the phone. I guess I probably should have read the manual . After increasing the font size and changing the touch screen sensitivity to my liking, using the phone became a LOT easier.

Setting up e-mail accounts is very easy, and it receives e-mails almost instantly. The BB web browser works pretty well, but I also downloaded Opera Mini as an alternative.

The media player works well enough for me. I haven't tried watching any videos on it yet, but I'm sure they will look great on the screen.

The camera is OK, but definitely not great. It does have a flash.

There is a lot I can speak about, but I'm not sure what things people want to know, so if there is anything specific please ask. Basically, once you customize your phone to your liking it works well.

There are some negatives also. One, the battery lasts 1-1.5 days, but that is somewhat expected from a phone that requires you use the full screen to work it. Also, I play with it a lot and browse the web so that definitely uses more battery. Also, it is sometimes a bit laggy, and sometimes the screen doesn't rotate when I turn the phone. But those two issues are supposed to be addressed in a software update which should be out soon. Another issue I have with the phone is that it only has one alarm. I like having a different alarm time for weekdays and weekends, but unless I haven't found out how to do it yet, there is only one alarm option. There's probably a couple of other things, but I can't think of them now.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Yeah there is only one alarm setting. You can of course make your own alarm tones which I've done.

There are some programs out there for multiple alarms, might want to do a search on that.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. Do you have the Storm? Or another BB device?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:55 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good review, mine should be arriving around the 15th or so. I'm not really concerned about the battery life cuz that's actually longer than what I get out of my Motorola Q right now. Depending on what I'm doing, text, internet, or games which I dont do a lot of any of those my battery will last like half a day or maybe a day. If I dont use the phone at all during the except for maybe one phone call my battery will last almost one day.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I keeps it real

I have it too and basically have the some complaints. The screen rotation get hung up a lot so hopefully the new update will help. I'm on the fence about hangin with this thing for two years though. i have a few more days to return it and I gotta say its a pretty agonizing decision. I love it as much as I hate it.

The screen rotation, battery life, my sausage fingers and often people tell me they can barely hear me when I lean it on my shoulder when i need both hands (I do that constantly so thats quite annoying). Those are the major issues Im not sure i can live with for two years.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

thanks for the review.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice summary.
Originally Posted by AMGala
So I bit the bullet and got the BlackBerry Storm. At first I wasn't going to because of the cost of the plans they listed on-line, but then after going to the store I asked about the plans and they said I could get the phone by adding the $30/month unlimited data plan. Basically, the cheapest BB plan that Verizon lists on their website is $80, but the cheapest way of getting the Storm is to have the $40 voice plan and the $30 data plan.
Just to confirm what I was told:
This covers BB email and internet, right? Not text/picture messages? Also, no GPS without VZ Navigator? Can you still access google maps?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride
I have it too and basically have the some complaints. The screen rotation get hung up a lot so hopefully the new update will help. I'm on the fence about hangin with this thing for two years though. i have a few more days to return it and I gotta say its a pretty agonizing decision. I love it as much as I hate it.

The screen rotation, battery life, my sausage fingers and often people tell me they can barely hear me when I lean it on my shoulder when i need both hands (I do that constantly so thats quite annoying). Those are the major issues Im not sure i can live with for two years.
bluetooth earpiece?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a blackberry flip a few days ago and I am still getting used to it. The phone does so many things its not even funny. Like how the screen dims based on the lightning. So far I like it. I cant review it because I haven't had it long enough yet....
Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by moeronn
Nice summary.
Just to confirm what I was told:
This covers BB email and internet, right? Not text/picture messages? Also, no GPS without VZ Navigator? Can you still access google maps?
Correct, that is for e-mail and internet. Text is extra. VZ Navigator is also extra, but I was reading that the GPS feature is unlocked in this phone, so you can use another GPS software and it should work. Google maps does work, and it can locate your current position:

You can see how accurate it is, the blue dot is where the GPS is locating the device, and the Star with the 1 is my actual location. I haven't used Google Maps at all on my BB yet, so I still need to see all the features. Can you use Google Maps as a GPS? There is also a BB Maps program that I haven't played with yet.

Last edited by AMGala; 12-04-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by moeronn
bluetooth earpiece?
Sure that's an option, but when you're just trolling around the house and answer the phone while doing dishes in your pajamas - I'd rather not have to be that prepared for a phone call. It really is annoying not being able to rest a phone on your shoulder, blue tooth or not.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Race Director

Sure that's an option, but when you're just trolling around the house and answer the phone while doing dishes in your pajamas - I'd rather not have to be that prepared for a phone call. It really is annoying not being able to rest a phone on your shoulder, blue tooth or not.
Maybe your just covering the mouthpiece when your doing it. Try holding it a different way.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:25 PM

To help with the screen rotation problem, try to remove as many icons from the menu as possible. Also, I removed Visual Voicemail which I don't use (and I think VZW charges extra for) and it sped things up.

Regarding the phone leaning on shoulder issue, when I run into that issue I just turn on the speakerphone and put it on my desk or something, but obviously that won't be possible for everyone.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Maybe your just covering the mouthpiece when your doing it. Try holding it a different way.
Yes I am, thats the whole problem. i cant halfhazardly lay it on my shoulder like i have every phone for the past 10 years. It has to sit just perfectly which is too much to think about when you just want to take a leak or unload the dishwasher or something. It seems insignificant but really is causing me to reconsider this phone.

I couldnt find my bluetooth while on the phone last night and I started unloading the dishwasher. The person I was talking to kept saying I sound like Im under the couch. i finally gave up and sat on the couch for two hours on the phone because I'd start doin stuff and unconsciously lay it on my shoulder again and my caller would start complaining.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I keeps it real

To help with the screen rotation problem, try to remove as many icons from the menu as possible. Also, I removed Visual Voicemail which I don't use (and I think VZW charges extra for) and it sped things up.

Regarding the phone leaning on shoulder issue, when I run into that issue I just turn on the speakerphone and put it on my desk or something, but obviously that won't be possible for everyone.
I've actually been in the habit of using the speaker phone when im alone and wont be annoying anyone. Its helped a lot but only practical when nobody is sharing the room with me.

Oh, and my cheek has pressed the mute button while on a call a few times. That sucks too.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM

I've actually been in the habit of using the speaker phone when im alone and wont be annoying anyone. Its helped a lot but only practical when nobody is sharing the room with me.

Oh, and my cheek has pressed the mute button while on a call a few times. That sucks too.
I've done that too. I wish the screen would "lock" when you are in a call so you have to click the screen once to enable it, just like when the screen goes black.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Dump BBmaps and go for google maps for sure.

i never a been of fan of BBmaps.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ah-ha! you are the star. 'im coming to stealz ur bold
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh well it's

For the lag times on the screen changing positions, install the latest patch for the storm. This should fix alot of the bugs that have been discovered. Here is the link

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...OzUItzzx43IxJw**
Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
ah-ha! you are the star. 'im coming to stealz ur bold
You'll never find it! Meanwhile I'll steal your car!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by wickedk24
For the lag times on the screen changing positions, install the latest patch for the storm. This should fix alot of the bugs that have been discovered. Here is the link

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...OzUItzzx43IxJw**
Hmm, link doesn't work. Is it available through Verizon yet?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Oh well it's

Try this one, it takes you straight to the registration to downlad the software

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...0FAF63FB5466B9

Last edited by wickedk24; 12-04-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Still not working for me
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh well it's

Works for me, but just a heads up. The update is working great for me
Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Do you have the Storm? Or another BB device?
I have the 8830 World Edition
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by wickedk24
Works for me, but just a heads up. The update is working great for me
That updated link works.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 PM

...but the update is for Bell Networks or something. So I'm guessing it's not VZW specific.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

You just need to delete the vendor.xml so that desktop manager recognizes it for your phone.

here is all you will ever need. This topic is the first post ATM.

http://crackberry.com/
Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Hmm, it says the Verizon update is coming out tomorrow. I'll just wait for that.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

u on BB messenger AM?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM

yeah, kind of...it's open, but I don't have any contacts yet, what is your e-mail addy?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Good review. The leaked .75 update helped with my the major annoyances I had with the phone, like the screen orientation wouldn't change when you unlocked the phone, unless you clicked the screen first then unlocked it! Today's update should make things even better, overall I am satisfied with the phone also. It requires a bit of a learning curve/getting used to.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Moodist
Good review. The leaked .75 update helped with my the major annoyances I had with the phone, like the screen orientation wouldn't change when you unlocked the phone, unless you clicked the screen first then unlocked it! Today's update should make things even better, overall I am satisfied with the phone also. It requires a bit of a learning curve/getting used to.
I didn't know that! I'll keep that in mind until I download the update.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Correct, that is for e-mail and internet. Text is extra. VZ Navigator is also extra, but I was reading that the GPS feature is unlocked in this phone, so you can use another GPS software and it should work. Google maps does work, and it can locate your current position:

You can see how accurate it is, the blue dot is where the GPS is locating the device, and the Star with the 1 is my actual location. I haven't used Google Maps at all on my BB yet, so I still need to see all the features. Can you use Google Maps as a GPS? There is also a BB Maps program that I haven't played with yet.
Holy crap that is terrible accuracy!

Does it have a GPS chip or is it using cell towers for triangulation?

Were you indoors when you were testing?

I have an XV6800, and updated the firmware, which unlocked the GPS. It is pretty accurate, always within a few feet.

How did you do the screencap? Does the phone have this capability built in?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Suzuka Master

That blue dot with the circle is using the cell towers
Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 AM

The Verizon update is officially out.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Lol. Not to harp on you, but don't you think that BB Storm or not, that doing dishes and talking on your phone with it on your shoulder would be a relatively annoying task in teh first place. Just wait until you are done with dishes to call back or vice versa, answer and then continue doing dishes after the conversation.

In other situations where you just didn't wake up in your pajamas doing dishes, bluetooth as suggested is an excellent option.

EDIT: Also, can someone just clarify for me. I'm a little confused on what has been said back and forth about pricing. What would it cost for a minimum plan if I am not already a verizon customer?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

It would be 249 for the phone with a 2 yr contract. plus a $50 MIR so it would be 199.

Cheapest Voice 450 mins for 39.99

Cheapest data is $29.99 so ur looking for $70 a month.

one thing I'm confused about is...

Whats the difference between the 2 data plan Verizon offers for BB's?

BlackBerry Email

Blackberry® Solution Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month

Email and Web for BlackBerry® $29.99/month

Wouldn't the lesser on have a limit on how much data you could use? I know like AT&T, before they went to a straight Unlimited plan they had cheaper ones with a data limit. However, I can't find anything in my readings on VW website that states a data limit.

Whats the difference in plans is what I'm basically trying to get at?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Got a Job!

Wink

I guess it's only appropriate that I reply to this as well, considering I've had the phone since day 1.

All in all, the phone is fantastic. Sure there are software glitches, but look at the release of the iPhone when it first came out, along w/ the 3g iPhone. There are/will be software updates for this phone that will fix the problems/annoyances just as Apple/AT&T did with the iPhone, so give it some time.

Here is my take on a few things:

1) GPS - It is unlocked/locked. aGPS apparently is locked to VZNav, but GPS is unlocked in general. I've tried telenav, BBmaps, and google maps so far along w/ VZNav (which btw I got rid of since I don't need it, and it slows down the phone quite a bit). Both TeleNav and BBMaps use the GPS, where Google Maps (for now) only used triangulation, hence the inaccuracy. Otherwise, bbmaps and telenav work like a charm.

2) Media player - I think it's absolutely awesome. Not sure if this is known, but if you hover your finger over an artist for a couple seconds, it will search that artist and bring up every song you have by them in the present playlist. Sound/Video quality is beyond excellent on this phone. You can literally hear the speaker from the other side of the house ... CLEARLY lol.

3) Browser - Not bad. Maybe it's just me using a phone for the first time, but I really don't think 3G is fast at all, and yes I've used the iPhone and others. It's actually a lot slower than I thought, but for a phone it's rather quick I guess? WiFi would be nice here, oh well.

4) Typing - Yes, it takes time to get used to it, but once you do, it's pretty damn easy, and not to mention fun . I love the fact that you have to click the screen. Makes errors almost obsolete.

Now a few gripes...

I've heard on a few occassions that I'm hard to hear, as if I'm mumbling. Now, I just might be, but I really don't feel like I am most of the time. Seems that I don't have the issue when I use speakerphone though, so it might be a software problem which could be fixed.

Also, things could be a bit quicker, but again, OS updates should fix that. Lastly, the battery on this thing blows. I'm lucky to get 16hrs out of it w/ moderate use. Looks like I might have to get an extended battery (oem size) and car charger for this one. I'm typing this one up pretty quick and I had a few glasses of wine tonight so bare w/ me If I missed things or if my sentences are jumbled. If you have any questions just reply of PM me.

`John

P.S. The $45 plan is for BES users (corporate email). Therefore, if you don't have one, just get the $30 plan which IS unlimited data/email. I am rocking the $40 voice and $30 BB plan w/ $5 txt and $3 Visual Voicemail fyi
Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dem1K
P.S. The $45 plan is for BES users (corporate email). Therefore, if you don't have one, just get the $30 plan which IS unlimited data/email. I am rocking the $40 voice and $30 BB plan w/ $5 txt and $3 Visual Voicemail fyi
Thanks.

They couldn't just say BIS for $30 or BES for $40 right? Too much work apparently.

Quick Reply: BlackBerry Storm Review (after 1 week)