Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

BlackBerry Storm Review (after 1 week)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I have .113 installed with an Ubuntu theme, and I am loving it. The accelerometer is greatly improved with almost zero lag time. It has yet to do a random reboot on me and I've been using it for a couple weeks.

Verizon will likely use .113 as their firmware update sometime this month.

We've been able to confirm that Verizon currently plans to release version 4.7.0.113 as its next official Storm firmware build -- about time, considering that the last (and only) official upgrade came some four months ago while a countless flurry of interim builds have whizzed by on the interwebs. It gets better, though: we've also scored an official list of fixes and enhancements in 113, which we've broken down after the break. A word of warning: it's a massive, massive list. Read on!

• Fixed bug where Mute and End buttons would work incorrectly while using an A2DP headset on a call.
  • Fixed bug that caused display to briefly show small, multi-colored dots across the entire screen.
  • Fixed bug that could cause a white bar to display on the screen.
  • Fixed bug that could cause custom ringtones to play even when phone is set to vibrate.
  • Fixed bug where pictures taken in landscape mode and sent could show in portrait.
  • Fixed rare bug causing notifications not to show for incoming text messages.
  • Fixed bug causing call timer to intermittently show incorrectly.
  • Fixed bug causing an error and possibly display issues when more than 40 items are present in the call log.
  • Fixed rare bug where multitap keypad could behave like SureType keypad.
  • Fixed bug where if a music artist is deleted from the phone, the artist's tracks could still show.
  • Fixed bug preventing renaming of file extensions on music playlists.
  • Fixed bug causing choppy audio playback on downloaded WMA files.
  • Fixed rare bug where phone could reset while recording a video for MMS attachment.
  • Fixed bug that could cause the device to stop responding and display an error when pausing a video recording.
  • Fixed bug that prevented the backlight from timing out while playing streamed video content.
  • Fixed bug with display of track names containing periods.
  • Reduced amount of time it takes to begin playing MP3 files.
  • Fixed bug that could cause viewfinder to not display correctly when camera is started in portrait mode and quickly flipped to landscape.
  • Fixed bug that occasionally caused screen to briefly show white after taking a picture.
  • Fixed rare bug that caused phone to reset when taking a picture with image stabilization and white board effect enabled.
  • Fixed rare bug where camera application would remain open after user had closed it.
  • Fixed rare bug where camera application would start without being commanded to do so.
  • Fixed bug that could cause phone to go to EV-DO after an automatic reset when it is in 1X-only mode.
  • Improved capability in auto off/on functionality for connecting to wireless networks when turning back on.
  • Enhanced system to ensure OTA updates continue if media card is removed.
  • Added Arabic language support.
  • Added full support for English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish in the East Asia language pack.
  • Added rendering support for Indonesian Bahasa, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
  • Added "Go" buttons next to address and search fields in the browser and search application respectively.
  • Added Phone icon to home screen.
  • Removed Call Log icon in Applications folder.
  • Device can now be upgraded OTA using either internal memory or a media card.
  • Improved volume consistency across applications and calls.
  • Fixed rare bug to prevent uncommanded scrolling of text.
  • Improved speed when composing messages.
  • Improved speed in Calendar application when selecting "go to date".
  • Fixed bugs to ensure Application Permission screen is always correctly displayed.
  • Fixed various bugs causing device resets.
  • Fixed rare bug causing device to freeze while using Voice Dial.
  • Improved accuracy of signal strength meter.
  • Fixed rare bug where phone could lose data connectivity.
  • Fixed bug to ensure new languages can always be added.
  • Fixed bug to ensure phone always vibrates and beeps for incoming text messages when it is set to do so.
  • Fixed bug that could cause device to not allow text messages to be sent to numbers in the Frequently Dialed Number list.
  • Fixes to make sure emails are always displayed correctly.
  • Fixed bugs that could cause static on phone calls.
  • Fixed bug that could prevent audio from routing through a Bluetooth headset when using speed dial.
  • Enhancements to ensure that phone features are not accidentally accessed when phone is held up to ear.
  • Fixed bug to ensure holding down the 1 button always triggers voicemail.
  • Fixed bug that could prevent .odf files stored on media cards from playing correctly.
  • Fixed bug that could inform the user they don't have rights to play music when the message is not necessary.
  • Fixed bug causing popping noises in downloaded songs.
  • Improved display of files saved on media cards in all applications.
  • Fixed bugs preventing creation and opening of playlists in some circumstances.
  • Fixed bug that could prevent access to the Music Library from the Options menu in the media player.
  • Improved support for streaming video content whose URLs are longer than 512 characters.
  • Fixed bug preventing correct display of streaming video content sent in a text message.
  • Improved accuracy of progress bars displayed when downloading files.
  • Fixed bugs preventing preview of songs when using V CAST Rhapsody.
  • Fixed bugs preventing playback of video recorded on the phone.
  • Improvements to prevent intermittent error messages displayed in the media player.
  • Sped up display of pictures.
  • Fixed bug that could cause pictures to display at the wrong resolution.
  • Fixed rare bug causing device to lock while typing.
  • Fixed bugs involving incorrect display of keyboard.
  • Made sure device remains in portrait mode while being unlocked in portrait mode.
  • Full QWERTY keyboard now available in portrait mode.
  • Improved performance and stability with pre-loaded games.
  • Fixed bug causing Incoming Call screen to not show when user is in some applications.
  • Fixed bug that could prevent LED indicator from turning on when device is charged.
  • Fixed bug causing Enterprise Activation screen to show after activation is complete.
  • Improved display rotation speed while viewing contacts.
  • Improved data call setup when switching wireless technologies.
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...rmware-releas/
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have been waiting on an offical update to be released by Verizon. This my second Storm and there are still issues.

The phone still randomly reboots itself. The lag between screens and programs is getting annoying now. Even thou the second Storm has updated software it still has issues.

I don't even put any apps on the phone, thinking it will slow it down even more.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally bit the bullet and bought Storms for the wife and I. Liking it so far. Using it to post this.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moeronn
I finally bit the bullet and bought Storms for the wife and I. Liking it so far. Using it to post this.
am glad u like it am thinkin about gettin 1 tomorrow
Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/06/w...-in-september/

WiFi-equipped BlackBerry Storm 2 coming to Verizon in September?

by Ross Miller, posted Apr 6th 2009 at 6:41PM

Looks like you might be able to cross at least one bullet point off of your Storm 2 wishlist. According to unnamed source who SlashGear swears is the bee's knees, the successor to BlackBerry's touchscreen smartphone will add WiFi support for faster home / coffee shop web browsing. The informant hinted there's other surprises on the horizon but wouldn't give specifics, so for now you'll just have to keep dreaming about that SurePress touchscreen that doesn't slow down your texting. As for when we should expect the sequel, the report pointed to a release sometime in September on Verizon's network.

dunno why they didnt offer wifi on the original one. ehh we shall see what happens.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/06/w...-in-september/

dunno why they didnt offer wifi on the original one. ehh we shall see what happens.
If that's true, I'm going to be pissed... They either better fix the Storm 1 or give me a free upgrade to the Storm 2.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AMGala
If that's true, I'm going to be pissed... They either better fix the Storm 1 or give me a free upgrade to the Storm 2.
wi-fi would be much better for browsing at home. If I had heard this before buying I may have waited. Though, it's hard to beat 2 Storms for $150. I'm more interested in a cheaper data plan.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Damn. I have yet to be able to post from my Storm.

What OS version did yours come with?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:20 PM

I found out today that Verizon will not be releasing .113 as thier official update. Not sure what the new version will be, but it will be at least another 6 weeks....mid May at the earliest.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Damn. I have yet to be able to post from my Storm.

What OS version did yours come with?
If you tell me how to check, I'll post it.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM

If you tell me how to check, I'll post it.
Options --> About

My guess is you have 4.7.0.75
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Options --> About

My guess is you have 4.7.0.75

Only things I have updated were existing applications. I need to see what else is out there.

Any recommendations?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Only things I have updated were existing applications. I need to see what else is out there.

Any recommendations?
Man, wish I knew why I can't post from mine. I'm definitely not reverting back to .75

Apps-

WSJ mobile reader
Weather bug
google maps is a must
gmail

You can go to the app world from your phone and find some good ones.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM

Man, wish I knew why I can't post from mine. I'm definitely not reverting back to .75

Apps-

WSJ mobile reader
Weather bug
google maps is a must
gmail

You can go to the app world from your phone and find some good ones.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/
So far, I've tried to install three apps from the App World program. One installed fine, and two gave me install errors. It's frustrating.

sho_nuff, did you do a full wipe when you upgraded the OS? If not, maybe try that to fix your problem of not being able to post.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM

So far, I've tried to install three apps from the App World program. One installed fine, and two gave me install errors. It's frustrating.

sho_nuff, did you do a full wipe when you upgraded the OS? If not, maybe try that to fix your problem of not being able to post.

I've only installed a couple from the app world, but the only app I had a problem with was the Level app. Most of the apps I have I got OTA from http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...thread-107305/

I've done a couple wipes before installing a new OS. I can type in the login box and view my account, but can't get a cursor to show up in the text boxes. It's weird. I didn't wipe before installing .113, I'll have to wipe and reinstall later.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM

I've only installed a couple from the app world, but the only app I had a problem with was the Level app. Most of the apps I have I got OTA from http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...thread-107305/

I've done a couple wipes before installing a new OS. I can type in the login box and view my account, but can't get a cursor to show up in the text boxes. It's weird. I didn't wipe before installing .113, I'll have to wipe and reinstall later.
I know we've tried this before, but here are my browser settings:

I hope you can solve your problem!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 PM

It's working now. I think it is something with the IT policy on my phone. I removed it and so far so good. Hopefully I can still post after the enterprise activation is complete.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM

That's a good link.

FWIW there is a post in that thread that suggests going here http://www.stormota.com/applist.php for a more updated list.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM

It's working now. I think it is something with the IT policy on my phone. I removed it and so far so good. Hopefully I can still post after the enterprise activation is complete.
Ahhh, I didn't think about that. I thought you were on BIS.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

it works after activation.

I believe your settings were part (if not all) of the solution. I had "support java script" checked and was using bb browser.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM

Just loaded Pandora on the Storm. So far, i like it.

however, for some reason, now YouTube doesn't work. It locks up the phone on the "connecting" page.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM

I haven't tried the YouTube app in a while, because I deleted it recently to see if it was a memory hog. It looks like it was in my case. After uninstalling my phone seems faster.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Never had a problem with the YouTube app.

Moeronn- try pulling the battery and then load the app

if that doesn't work, remove it and re-install it.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 AM

I either don't know how to use it but I don't like pandora, never can find what I want to listen to.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Never had a problem with the YouTube app.

Moeronn- try pulling the battery and then load the app

if that doesn't work, remove it and re-install it.
I've tried both. I had to pull the battery just to get the phone to function. Then deleting and reinstalled - same issue. Had to pull the battery. This happened a few times.

I either don't know how to use it but I don't like pandora, never can find what I want to listen to.
The key is to NOT choose exactly what you want. Type in something similar and it should find what you want eventually. Remember to use the and :thumbsdow buttons to customize.

I have only tried one "station" so far. I wanted a Tool type station, so I put in A Perfect Circle. It actually started with APC, which surprised me, but also has Tool, NIN, Incubus, and a bunch of other stuff that has been good.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM
2005 WDP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my storm friday and searched it here. I got so much info for it.......

evidentally no one is having trouble getting it to sync with HFL. I have deleted all other phones and redone it multiple times and the HFL hangs up on it during the pairing process.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy moly that's alot of bugs to be fixed
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I got my storm friday and searched it here. I got so much info for it.......

evidentally no one is having trouble getting it to sync with HFL. I have deleted all other phones and redone it multiple times and the HFL hangs up on it during the pairing process.

Hmm. Never had a problem pairing mine with the HFL.

What do you mean hangs up? It quits during the pairing process?

You have to search for bluetooth connections with the phone while the car is doing the pairing, otherwise the HFL will never find the phone.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM

What is HFL?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:16 PM

HFL = Hands Free Link

I got the phone to pair with the HFL in the TL, but it doesn't always connect right away when I get in the car. When that happens, i do a "Next Phone" and that usually does the trick.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM

yea when i connect my iphone to HFL, when someone calls in and i press the answer call, it answers, pauses a bit with no sound and then hangs up.

the only way for me to use my phone w/ HFL, is to answer the call on the phone itself and then transfer it to HFL. same thing when i call someone.

IIRC, i read that some of the bluetooth units in some acuras might be faulty, but dont quote me on that, im not too sure.

i guess its good to know that its not just an iphone issue.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 PM

yea when i connect my iphone to HFL, when someone calls in and i press the answer call, it answers, pauses a bit with no sound and then hangs up.

the only way for me to use my phone w/ HFL, is to answer the call on the phone itself and then transfer it to HFL. same thing when i call someone.

IIRC, i read that some of the bluetooth units in some acuras might be faulty, but dont quote me on that, im not too sure.

i guess its good to know that its not just an iphone issue.

Have you tried this w/ your iphone?

I did some more research on some other forums and found a solution:

Update your iPhone firmware to version 2.2 (latest version at the time of writing this post).

Once you have version 2.2, or if you already have version 2.2, do a soft-reset of the iPhone (hold down the power and home button until the apple logo appears. This will not erase your data/music/programs/settings.)

Turn off the WiFi if you have it on. I am not sure if turning it off helps the process, but I read elsewhere that this may hinder the bluetooth. I don't know how truthful that is, but it's what I did in the process. You may try testing otherwise.

Now, in your car, go into HFL phone setup and instead of having a "ringtone," change it to "prompt." This will make the male or female voice say "You have an incoming call." instead of playing a ringtone.

Previously, 75% of my incoming calls would not be transferred to the HFL properly. Now, all five of my test calls went through. Probably not a thorough scientific test, but it seems to be working.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....513&tstart=165
Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 PM

I had problems with my HFL freezing a few times daily (2004 TL), then I had the HFL replaced with the new model and have had zero problems. If your car is under warranty, it's a free fix. I think the new HFL started in the 2007 TLs.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Have you tried this w/ your iphone?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....513&tstart=165
what does it mean by "prompt" instead of a ringtone? how do i change that on the phone?
im running the lastest version too, but ill try it out.

does it mean i have to keep wifi off everytime i get in the car?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 PM

I had problems with my HFL freezing a few times daily (2004 TL), then I had the HFL replaced with the new model and have had zero problems. If your car is under warranty, it's a free fix. I think the new HFL started in the 2007 TLs.
ohh.. mines a 2007..

Last edited by Mizouse; 04-19-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I've been wanting to trade my Curve 8900 for a Storm lately although a lot of people around me talk negatively about the phone. If I could just play around with one; that'd be great.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by nokiaman
I've been wanting to trade my Curve 8900 for a Storm lately although a lot of people around me talk negatively about the phone. If I could just play around with one; that'd be great.

Supposedly there is a new BB relasing in May for Verizon. It is called the Niagra and is a cross between the Bold and the Curve.

Additionally, the new OS for the glitchy Storm will not be out until around mid June. So, if you can hold off...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM

I just upgraded to OS .132 from .109 and it is a nice improvement. Much faster, especially the browser.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM

I'm still running .113 and have had zero problems with it. The new updates are coming out so fast, it's hard to keep up.

Quick Reply: BlackBerry Storm Review (after 1 week)