Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Something bothers me about this "find." If I where at a bar and found a phone, I'd try to find the owner by either turning into the bar or getting information off of the phone. Even if this was an iPhone v. 10, I don't think I'd be aware enough (especially after some beers) to say "holy smokes I've found an unreleased version of the iPhone." There are just too many phones on the market to easily spot a rarity... like going through quarters in your pocket for the rare one. It just doesn't happen. Somebody had to know what to look for... CONspriacy.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,340 Likes on 5,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
Something bothers me about this "find." If I where at a bar and found a phone, I'd try to find the owner by either turning into the bar or getting information off of the phone. Even if this was an iPhone v. 10, I don't think I'd be aware enough (especially after some beers) to say "holy smokes I've found an unreleased version of the iPhone." There are just too many phones on the market to easily spot a rarity... like going through quarters in your pocket for the rare one. It just doesn't happen. Somebody had to know what to look for... CONspriacy.
yeah its totally fishy. and someone did it knowing that it would go "viral" upon its announcement, almost instantly. mission accomplished.

let me ask you something, how many times have you lost your cell phone? I've lost mine about twice. since 1997. And both times, they were just in a different pocket (I've never lost a cell phone, outright). My point? Geeky uber-nerds don't "lose" phones. And they sure as hell don't "lose" one of a kind prototype next generation iphones.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
those are blurry photos just a couple days before the announcement. This is an actual device months before an announcement. There's a HUGE difference. Why would apple want to release a non finished product to a website so that millions of people can base their opinion on an unfinished product?
What havent I already typed out that didnt explain it enough for you?

Android?
Google?
Brand X coming out with a new competitor?

"Whoops...here is a "lost" prototype of our new phone...dear me how could I lose that..."

"Oh wow, look someone at apple lost their new phone...OH SHIT...look at what it has, I'm totally going to wait now, I was gonna get the new HTC, but fuck that, new iphone it is..."

If this doesnt buy you a clue, youre hopeless.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,278 Likes on 6,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc

Android?
Google?

"Whoops...here is a "lost" prototype of our new phone...dear me how could I lose that..."

"Oh wow, look someone at apple lost their new phone...OH SHIT...look at what it has, I'm totally going to wait now, I was gonna get the new HTC, but fuck that, new iphone it is..."

that's stupid. Why wouldn't they just have a normal announcement like the did with the iPad where they bring in reporters from all over the country/world sit them down in a controlled environment and reveal the new product? announce it in January release it in April or in this case announce in April release in June/July. Steve Jobs is a control freak you see it in his management style and in all of their products (OS X, app store, iphone, etc). Tell me how revealing the next iPhone by someone finding it at a bar is better than Steve Jobs coming on stage and giving a demo of the device.

Really? You seriously believe this is how Apple wanted the worlds first exposure to their new baby to be? By being found on the dirty floor of a bar and sold to a single tech blog for exclusivity? What company would want their product to be announced this way? None.

If that doesn't buy you a clue, you're hopeless!

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 04-19-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts

Android?
Google?

Would would be great is if Apple ditches the design on launch and takes away the one camera it does have...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Go Giants

that's stupid. Why wouldn't they just have a normal announcement like the did with the iPad where they bring in reporters from all over the country/world sit them down in a controlled environment and reveal the new product? announce it in January release it in April or in this case announce in April release in June/July. Steve Jobs is a control freak you see it in his management style and in all of their products (OS X, app store, iphone, etc). Tell me how revealing the next iPhone by someone finding it at a bar is better than Steve Jobs coming on stage and giving a demo of the device.

Really? You seriously believe this is how Apple wanted the worlds first exposure to their new baby to be? By being found on the floor of a bar and sold to a tech blog for exclusivity? What company would want their product to be announced this way? None.

Hey! I was once found on a bar room floor..!!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Really? You seriously believe this is how Apple wanted the worlds first exposure to their new baby to be? By being found on the dirty floor of a bar and sold to a single tech blog for exclusivity? What company would want their product to be announced this way? None.

and furthermore, rumors of the iphone 4g's specifications were already swirling, its not like nobody had any idea what it was going to be like (in response to the argument that well NOW, people are going to put off buying a HTC or whatever).
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Go Giants

Listen Steve...I want the new phone, I love my current one and I want a better one...You are going to make me shell out $1000 between the new phone and changes to my plan..aren't you!!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I heard a rumor that in order to buy the 4G, you must also own a ipad.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Go Giants

So it begins.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ I thought it was a mac book pro?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

(everyone knows I'm joking, right?)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
huh?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by srika
(everyone knows I'm joking, right?)
I did! that was funny!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

oh..
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Go Giants

wha?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Go Giants

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
The Third Ball

Its a flawless plan if its true because of people like you. Keep thinking inside that box of yours, though.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Here's the story about how the phone was "lost". But don't believe this is just another part of Apple's flawless plan that Gimodo is a willing partiicapnt of so they could get the exclusive. Sarlacc you and StonedCL have a lot in common maybe you guys SHOULD meet up!

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple...he-next-iphone
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Go Giants

RIP Gray Powell...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
The Third Ball

Might be a well written narrative...might be Powell was told to leave it there.

Why would he have a test unit in the field and not have it password protected to begin with?

And then it took almost a month for the story to break? Yesterday people were questioning it...but if its been a month there was plenty of time to confirm its origin.

Again, I never said any of this was true. I said it was possiblities. And I'm still playing on those possibilities.

If youre too stupid to realize that, then youre par for the course during your tenure on this site.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

just noticed this... maybe they changed the design in such a non-Apple way to address the reception issues? I recall reading here (and elsewhere) that there is a hardware issue with the iphone 3G design that attributes to bad reception.

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

furthermore:

Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
• An aluminum border going completely around the outside
• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
• Everything is more squared off
• 3 grams heavier
• 16% Larger battery
• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
wow, so, way off from stunnas guess.

The Associated Press reveals that Gawker (Gizmodo's parent company) paid $5000 to obtain the device.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I would've asked for more than just $5k this is an exclusive hands on with the much anticipated next gen iPhone. If anything like this happens again I bet that person gets more money. As Apple's flawless plan unfurls they've now sent a letter to Giz ask for the device that they intentionally planted at some random bar disguised as a normal iPhone back from Gizmodo.

I told them, all they have to do is claim it — on record. This formal request from Apple's legal department, asking for their phone back, is that. It proves—if there was any doubt in your mind—that this thing is real.

Here's my reply:

Bruce, thanks.
Here's Jason Chen, who has the iPhone. And here's his address. You two should coordinate a time.
[Blah Blah Blah Address]
Happy to have you pick this thing up. Was burning a hole in our pockets. Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen when we bought it. Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.
P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple except, well, beer.

And since this was the only missing piece of the puzzle, we have now both extinguished any doubts of its origin but also, we get to give the phone back. *warm, fuzzy, huggy feelings of legal compliance*
http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-...et-iphone-back
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Sanest Florida Man

It's been less than 15hrs since that article was posted and Gizmodo has already gotten over 3.6 million clicks on that article alone. Best 5K they ever spent. Anyone else notice that they didn't post another article for another 7 hours. For 7 hours that was the first article up on the site. It's got over 7000 diggs on digg.com which is VERY high, usually 2 or 3 thousand get you the top spot on digg.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 PM
The Third Ball

Amazing isnt it.

The phone was "lost" at a bar.
It had NO number passcode lock out set up.
The owner apparently made no attempt to "locate my iphone" He just did a straight memory wipe...(or the phone was intentionally left that way.)
It was lost over a month ago...and when it first popped up on the net today it was deemed unclear if it was the real thing. Only to say it was the real thing several hours later.
The entire story pertaining to the phone and its owner suddenly comes out hours after that written in a very full and narrative manner.
The whole thing has remained Gizmodos top story and it gaining record attention...

Something is very fishy and not quite right about the whole story. I even had a friend IM me an hour ago out of the blue with the same suspicions and ideas I had.

This could be a very genius play on apples part. And if its all true, it will work because of people like Stunna.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Amazing isnt it.

The phone was "lost" at a bar.
It had NO number passcode lock out set up.
The owner apparently made no attempt to "locate my iphone" He just did a straight memory wipe...(or the phone was intentionally left that way.)
It was lost over a month ago...and when it first popped up on the net today it was deemed unclear if it was the real thing. Only to say it was the real thing several hours later.
The entire story pertaining to the phone and its owner suddenly comes out hours after that written in a very full and narrative manner.
The whole thing has remained Gizmodos top story and it gaining record attention...

Something is very fishy and not quite right about the whole story. I even had a friend IM me an hour ago out of the blue with the same suspicions and ideas I had.

This could be a very genius play on apples part. And if its all true, it will work because of people like Stunna.
I'm just gonna throw my hands up and walk away

I'm done with this argument. I don't want to ruin this thread with it and I don't want to take it to PM, it's just THAT stupid.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 04-20-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 AM

well that article explains why they only paid 5K for the device.
they assumed it was a cheap knock off.

i cant image the look when they realized that had a legit device.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse
well that article explains why they only paid 5K for the device.
they assumed it was a cheap knock off.

i cant image the look when they realized that had a legit device.
yeah that's what I was thinkin. It looked so different than the previous models. I can see why giz would be hesitant. I would've worked out a contract like pay me $5k now and look at it and if you confirm it's authenticity and post an article then I want $25000 more.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM

what i wouldve done is, give it to them for 5k but ask for a percentage from the revenue generated from the page hits they received.

if that would be worth it or not.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 AM
The Third Ball

I'm just gonna throw my hands up and walk away

I'm done with this argument. I don't want to ruin this thread with it and I don't want to take it to PM, it's just THAT stupid.
Perhaps you're being that stupid. or naive.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Sanest Florida Man

^that'd be good to, I'd take 25%.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 AM

i kind of wonder how much money a single page hit on those kind of websites would generate.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I wonder how many of their readers are using ad block software so they don't see any ads. Ars Technica had a good article talking about how a lot of their users use ad block software and therefore it's hard for them to make money. I'm sure engadget and gizmodo have similar problems but probably not as bad as ars might.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I was trying to figure out all the hostility in this thread and then I remembered...Sarlacc hates Apple.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Go Giants

Im with Sarlaac, sounds fishy...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I was trying to figure out all the hostility in this thread and then I remembered...Sarlacc loves hostility.
fixed
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
The Third Ball

I love Apple and hostility.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread