Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,876 Likes on 5,516 Posts
what do you guys trash your sh*t??? I don't think I take the *best* care of my stuff but I do watch out for it. my iphone is in great shape, and I've never used a case or cover or any kind of protector of any sort. Looks brand stinking new and I've had it almost a year.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
It switches to AUX/iPhone after you unplug it? Weird...

My iPhone has always started playing automatically though when I plugged it in. That's actually one thing I've liked about iPods/iPhones and radios with USB inputs.

Anyone download Navigon 1.5.0 through Installous recently? There are only two options and one of them (mediafire.com) uses 16 .rar files which I don't think the iPhone can open.... plus I don't know how 16 files is gonna work. The other one I can't download at all I downloaded GPS drive just fine but I want to try Navigon.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried googling but it seems like nobody had a problem d/ling through Installous. Do I have to download it to my computer first or something?
Are you familiar with SSHing into your iPhone? You can download the ipa thru a torrent, then sync it thru iTunes if you have appsync. You'll need to fix some signatures/permissions via SSH... There's a tutorial on YouTube that guides you through the whole process.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
what do you guys trash your sh*t??? I don't think I take the *best* care of my stuff but I do watch out for it. my iphone is in great shape, and I've never used a case or cover or any kind of protector of any sort. Looks brand stinking new and I've had it almost a year.
I take care of all my shit...what does having a case or using a screen cover have to do with it other than helping me take care of it.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
Are you familiar with SSHing into your iPhone? You can download the ipa thru a torrent, then sync it thru iTunes if you have appsync. You'll need to fix some signatures/permissions via SSH... There's a tutorial on YouTube that guides you through the whole process.
I've done it once... will take a look. Thanks dude, this is like the 3rd or 4th time you've helped me figure something out on my iPhone
Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 PM
seizure force field!

Getting the ipa's is the tough part. If you're able to get them through Installous, go for it. Not sure how they would work individually Fixing the permissions is as easy as deleting a couple of lines from a text file

I know TomTom was a breeze in get, it's what I have. I'm in the process of getting the .rar files for Navigon, I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by v6cord2k5; 04-27-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,744 Likes on 6,516 Posts
Why does this story sound so familiar???

http://news.cnet.com/Apple-suit-test...3-5519311.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...iness.newmedia
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2007/12/apple-and-think/
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,990 Posts
no one said anything about trashing shit.

dust can get inside, its not like the phone is weather sealed, and it is sitting in a pocket full of lint/dirt and other crap.

anyways it hasnt happened to me, but im just saying it could.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Sanest Florida Man

i got dust on the inside of mine too, glad to see i'm not the only one
Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
no one said anything about trashing shit.

dust can get inside, its not like the phone is weather sealed, and it is sitting in a pocket full of lint/dirt and other crap.

anyways it hasnt happened to me, but im just saying it could.
Yup. I've had an Incase Slider and an anti-glare shield on it since day one. I've dropped it a couple times accidentally, I've accidental put coins in the same pocket. I take very good care of my toys, but shit happens.

I just took it off to check, and it's got two case-induced scratches on the back. That's it. I could get a pretty good bit of coin if I decide to sell it (this is a 3G) due to those two things.

I even let my 4 year olds play Topple. I don't really worry about it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Anyone do the shield they sell at the kiosks at the malls? Look hard core...

As a FYI, Im on my 3 Mophie case, the USB connector broke twice already. Mophie is very good at sending me a new unit though.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I have a bad habit of keeping my phone in my back pocket and then getting into my truck. So yeah, I have some stress cracks on the screen that you can hardly see and I have some dead pixels at the top of the screen.

Although I am really not sure if they are dead pixels. They move around. Get better, get worse. Etc etc..

My problem with the phone is not the phone itself but ATT. Up until recently I would never drop calls, now If I am on the phone for more than 15-20 minutes, the call drops. Even if I have 5 bars, it just drops..

My contract is up in July I think, so Verizon may be getting a new subscriber.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I have a bad habit of keeping my phone in my back pocket and then getting into my truck. So yeah, I have some stress cracks on the screen that you can hardly see and I have some dead pixels at the top of the screen.

Although I am really not sure if they are dead pixels. They move around. Get better, get worse. Etc etc..

My problem with the phone is not the phone itself but ATT. Up until recently I would never drop calls, now If I am on the phone for more than 15-20 minutes, the call drops. Even if I have 5 bars, it just drops..

My contract is up in July I think, so Verizon may be getting a new subscriber.
Ive been having nothing but problems these past two weeks. Every 8 out of 10 calls i make fails about 6-7 times before going out. If i get lucky and go out it fails like you say. I called att, they had me change my sim. No luck. Made me go change in my 2 month old phone which was brand new for a refurb, still no luck. I call in yesterday and their excuse was 2 towers near me are out. This issue started yesterday for them, but its been 2 weeks for me. The call drops when im talking to the rep and they never called back. Im going to be calling today and raising hell!!! Been with att since 2003 and til now i loved them. You bet im gonna make a run for it. I dont care if i dont have a iphone, atleast my phone will be able to make calls instead of failing.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by harminder247
Ive been having nothing but problems these past two weeks. Every 8 out of 10 calls i make fails about 6-7 times before going out. If i get lucky and go out it fails like you say. I called att, they had me change my sim. No luck. Made me go change in my 2 month old phone which was brand new for a refurb, still no luck. I call in yesterday and their excuse was 2 towers near me are out. This issue started yesterday for them, but its been 2 weeks for me. The call drops when im talking to the rep and they never called back. Im going to be calling today and raising hell!!! Been with att since 2003 and til now i loved them. You bet im gonna make a run for it. I dont care if i dont have a iphone, atleast my phone will be able to make calls instead of failing.
i had the same problem when i had my iphone thats y i got a HTC HD2 and believe me it is the best phone ever
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

In two years I've dropped...three calls. Maybe.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM

^same here. My friend has a newer 3GS and he was with Verizon before, he has had more dropped calls in the last 3-5 months than I have in the past 3+ years with AT&T. We can be in the same room looking at the same website or app and my phone will be faster

Just had to retype this post though. Occasionally Safari will crash for no reason also it won't go into landscape mod once in a while, but asid from that no problems with my current phone or network. My 2G iPhone was a POS though
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Yea I've been with AT&T for quite some time I think since 03' and I don't drop many calls. Even after getting the iPhone.

The only time I had issues was at CES cause the network was overloaded because of all the journalists.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
My problem exists all over San Antonio, Austin and everywhere in between. Since I have an iPhone that is out of warranty I am sure the only thing they will do for me is change my sim.. Big fucking deal.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Wifie went to ATT today to bitch about the Samsung. They tried to talk her into getting her upgrade. She said she wait until June to get the 4G iPhone. They said they did not have confirmation on that date. She said you should read the new more often because they've already found the model in a bar.

So since both of our phone have been screwy, we have this conspiracy that ATT is trying to get rid of its 3Gs inventory as fast as possible and have sent BS signals to screw with existing phones. People can't go two months without a working phone.

That's when we went old school on the bitches and pulled first gen Razrs out of the closet. Ordered new batteries for $3.88 ea. and we will wait.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

I just looked at my screen closely in the sun, I do have some dust inside it at the bottom. but it's such a small amount that it's unnoticeable unless you look close. And I do get fingerprints on mine, but again, I don't see it unless I look for it.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Professor
Wifie went to ATT today to bitch about the Samsung. They tried to talk her into getting her upgrade. She said she wait until June to get the 4G iPhone. They said they did not have confirmation on that date. She said you should read the new more often because they've already found the model in a bar.

So since both of our phone have been screwy, we have this conspiracy that ATT is trying to get rid of its 3Gs inventory as fast as possible and have sent BS signals to screw with existing phones. People can't go two months without a working phone.

That's when we went old school on the bitches and pulled first gen Razrs out of the closet. Ordered new batteries for $3.88 ea. and we will wait.
Prepare for the most frustrating two months of your life....
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

I always liked mine. Especially after I hacked it.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Well just cause wwdc is in June doesn't mean the iPhone will be available on that day. You could possibly end up waiting until july.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Banned

I traced all my issues to switching from IPOD to AUX1 in the car. Now I'll just have to go back to deal with it cutting out for the first minute.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
yeah I've seen that before, it's a common defect. Just take it back to the apple store and they'll probably swap it out.
Took it in today - they opened it up to confirm no water damage and then just gave me a new one
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Had a 2G. Upgraded to 3G. Phone is probably as sturdy and reliable as ANY of the ones I had previously. Like most, my problems stem from AT&T. I was with Verizon before the iPhone. While, they had issues, they were minor in comparison.

I'll probably upgrade in July (when my contract is up) and might get the new iPhone that's supposed to be out in June. But, if I even get a sniff that Verizon is getting the iPhone, I'll make skid marks away from AT&T. I may even go away from the iPhone (something I don't want to do) just to dump AT&T.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The guy who sold the iPhone to Gizmodo has been found by wired.com. His name if Brian Hogan (oh yeah, brother!) he's 21 and he says that he regrets not trying harder to give the phone back. He's got a lawyer and people from Apple showed up wanting to search his house!

But don't believe any of this it's all part of Steve's flawless plan!

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/iphone-finder/
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
seizure force field!

In the process of re-jailbreaking my iPhone. Not exactly sure what caused it but the Phone portion of my iPhone stopped working out of thin air. Every time I clicked the "Phone" icon, it would try loading it then it would crash. Clicking on "Contacts" also crashed, as did the "Maps" app.

The only recent changes were me installing Navigon (minus the maps, I was in the process of downloading the maps). It worked fine with it for a half-day, then it just took a major dump.

I get to start clean... yay!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 AM

^damn, sorry to hear dude. My friend has Navigon, but he told me about it a while back so it might have been easier to install back then. I'm gonna try and see what he has to say about it
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM
seizure force field!

^ It's alright, I had backed up most of my cracked .ipa's. I upgraded some of the apps I had free versions of

For those of you who were locked on 3.1.3 with the new baseband...

New Jailbreak is out! http://spiritjb.com/
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

my phone was pretty much unusable for most of the day today. f*cking pissed me off royally, because I had some very important matters to tend to and was incapacitated because I couldnt use the damn POS. I had full bars and 3G but couldn't make calls or use internet. This is becoming the norm these days. I am not exaggerating.

^are you jailbroken? I dunno what happened but mine was like that a week or two ago.... full bars and 3G, even with just Edge on it wouldn't even try to load webpages. It would just say "Safari is not connected to the internet" or something like that

I'm not sure if it was the reason why, but I changed the theme for my SBSettings one night. The day before that 3G worked perfectly fine. The day after that night though, I couldn't use internet at all unless it was Wifi. But apparently there is a toggle called "Data" and it was hidden.... so I revealed it on the SBsettings page and it was off. Turned it back on, and 3G worked fine.

The weird thing is though, I could make calls just fine during that downtime. Maybe do a soft reset of your phone?

my phone was pretty much unusable for most of the day today. f*cking pissed me off royally, because I had some very important matters to tend to and was incapacitated because I couldnt use the damn POS. I had full bars and 3G but couldn't make calls or use internet. This is becoming the norm these days. I am not exaggerating.
have you tried resetting the networks in the options. sometimes that fixes up stuff for me.

or the occasional restarting of the phone fixes up stuff too.

Sometimes turning off the wifi and just using 3G will work better.

#1 reason why I got rid of the iphone

Anytime anything like that happens (and it's rare) a full reboot solves it.

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Anytime anything like that happens (and it's rare) a full reboot solves it.
Not for me.

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
location based problems

I did try rebooting. How do I reset the network?

And, I thought it was location-based but I am not sure. Because, I was having the problems in the city, but then I went to my parent's house in NW Indiana and that involved driving through some highways that are not populated at all and I was still having the same issue there too. And, I normally have my Blackberry as a backup but I didn't have that either at this time. It was really really frustrating.

^are you jailbroken? I dunno what happened but mine was like that a week or two ago.... full bars and 3G, even with just Edge on it wouldn't even try to load webpages. It would just say "Safari is not connected to the internet" or something like that
I am not JB - but this is exactly the problem I had.

oh yeah I was having this problem today too - I do think it's something with the network - but maybe its something that is being aggravated by the phone. not sure.

oh yeah I was having this problem today too - I do think it's something with the network - but maybe its something that is being aggravated by the phone. not sure.
The big complication is that these problems aren't heard about on other AT&T phones.

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
The big complication is that these problems aren't heard about on other AT&T phones.
are there other AT&T phones that can create the same volume of data load?

are there other AT&T phones that can create the same volume of data load?
blackberries

I did try rebooting. How do I reset the network?

And, I thought it was location-based but I am not sure. Because, I was having the problems in the city, but then I went to my parent's house in NW Indiana and that involved driving through some highways that are not populated at all and I was still having the same issue there too. And, I normally have my Blackberry as a backup but I didn't have that either at this time. It was really really frustrating.
Settings > general > reset > reset network settings

you'll have to setup all your wifi networks all over again thou.

thanks, I will definitely try it!

its been considerably worse this week and the past few weeks. I've had it for almost a year, and for the majority of the time I didn't have this much trouble with it. They sold like 500 million iphones in the past several months, I'm guessing that is a part of the problem.

The network reset has worked wonderfully. As in, I'm now able to (again) use it like, say, when I'm outside (lol yeah I coulnt even do that before). So yeah, I love my iPhone!!! Thanks zouse.

np, but i cant take all the credit, i think it mightve been sarlacc that told me to do that a while back when i was having issues on my original iphone.

np, but i cant take all the credit, i think it mightve been sarlacc that told me to do that a while back when i was having issues on my original iphone.
:insertdarthvaderNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!picture:

what exactly is a network reset? I don't see any options for resetting a network in settings. I don't have any problems right now but if I do it might be something to try.

what exactly is a network reset? I don't see any options for resetting a network in settings. I don't have any problems right now but if I do it might be something to try.

ive had it with this POS. reset network settings is more like taking an aspirin...

what to tell you.

I'll hope they reworked the network component in the 4G...

I'll hope they reworked the network component in the 4G...
Get rid of it. Get the Nexus 1 or the Incredible.

no, I don't think I'm ready to do that. I'd rather get a 4G and it works better

no, I don't think I'm ready to do that. I'd rather get a 4G and it works better
Ugg...the iphone interface is sooo boring, even with jailbreak.

actually, I agree.

Are you still under warranty?

Maybe try a full restore via iTunes and if that doesn't work bring it to AT&T and/or apple?

Are you still under warranty?

Maybe try a full restore via iTunes and if that doesn't work bring it to AT&T and/or apple?
Don't waste your time with this stuff

Yea it's a little plain, but whatever, works for me.

I'm a boring person

<~~~~

Don't waste your time with this stuff
Why do you say that?

yeah I am gonna take it in to the "Genius Bar" and see what they say ROFL

Why do you say that?
you'll wind up with the same problems. This is not a unique issue. There are tons and tons of reports of problems like this. I had them myself.

If there was a fix, we would know about it. The things you suggested is like an IT guy telling you to restart your computer when you know that it won't fix the problem.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Ap...S/td-p/1848075

I think I might try a hard reset. And see how it works like, out of the box (no data, no apps, no music etc). It's like a damn computer, and computers need reformatting after certain period of use.

think I'll try this possible fix first:

The final solution is to go to an AT&T store and have them swap out your SIM card. If you talk to the AT&T tech support long enough, they'll authorize a new SIM card for free.
isnt that what i suggested?

No problems with me

reception, network all great. Get 3G coverage almost everywhere I go, except maybe in the hills. Fast connection downtown, and whenever I'm in a dead zone so are my Verizon buddies. Actually, I'm posting this from up in the Evergreen hills right now on 3G

my 2G iPhone was a turd though... Slow Internet, slow phone, slow everything. Crashed often too, but I got my 3GS as a gift

Last edited by teranfon; 05-06-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/04/...ing-interface/

Latest iPhone OS 4 Beta Gains Orientation Lock and iPod Controls in Multitasking Interface
Tuesday May 04, 2010 03:32 PM EST; Category: iPhone
Written by Eric Slivka

Image posted by anjinhamarota

9 to 5 Mac reports that the latest iPhone OS 4 beta, released earlier today, includes several new features as part of its multitasking capabilities, including quick access to iPod controls, as well as an option for locking the screen orientation in either portrait or landscape mode.

The new features are accessed via a left-swipe from the multitasking "dock" manager in much the same way that the Spotlight search screen is accessed from the first home screen in iPhone OS 3. The iPod options include the traditional iPod icon to allow quick access to the iPod player functionality, as well as play/pause and track navigation buttons.

The screen orientation lock is a much-requested feature that is particularly handy for users attempting to use their devices while lying down or reclining. The feature receives prominent attention on the iPad, with the device's originally-planned "mute" switch being replaced before launch by a dedicated hardware button to enable screen rotation lock.
nice touch on the orientation lock

kind of sux that the multitasking action took up the place of the double home tap to bring up iPod controls, but i guess this is better than nothing or no multiTasking.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

too bad blackberries suck ass for web browsing
Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well just cause wwdc is in June doesn't mean the iPhone will be available on that day. You could possibly end up waiting until july.
Damn you for bursting my bubble.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
too bad blackberries suck ass for web browsing
until later this year when 6.0 comes out.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

until later this year when 6.0 comes out.
is that coming with a bigger screen too?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM

They have a big screen blackberry. You know the storm and storm 2
Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

uh yeah and we all know how awesome those are
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM

Well you were asking about a BB with a big screen
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

that thing sucks even more! have you ever tried using one?

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread