Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Another iphone hater, w/o it, you wouldn't have your Android phone you have such a hard on with.

I think Apple is just fine with their sales.

What's people jumping every six months to another phone. Seems that there's something missing in what they are purchasing in the first place, while people with iPhone keep them much longer than any company out there.
I disagree, I think those that do frequently switch phones don't do so because their old phone is lacking. It's the functionality of the newer phone that causes the desire of switching.

People keep their iPhones longer because they don't have the option to switch out every 6 months. They have to wait a year, even longer this year. Most people switch to the new iPhone version when it comes out.

You should also keep in mind that Android devices are usually slightly ahead of the iPhone on a hardware level because of the frequency of the releases, i.e.- the iPhone 5 might have dual core, but Android devices have had it for 5 months already.

I also don't understand your statement about us not having Android if it wasn't for the iphone. What does that mean?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I haven't been impressed with what I've heard about the 5. I really don't see an upgrade reason from the 4. Seriously considering trying out Android, especially one of the superbad fast ones. If it weren't for having to repurchase apps, I would have made up my mind already.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I disagree, I think those that do frequently switch phones don't do so because their old phone is lacking. It's the functionality of the newer phone that causes the desire of switching.

People keep their iPhones longer because they don't have the option to switch out every 6 months. They have to wait a year, even longer this year. Most people switch to the new iPhone version when it comes out.

You should also keep in mind that Android devices are usually slightly ahead of the iPhone on a hardware level because of the frequency of the releases, i.e.- the iPhone 5 might have dual core, but Android devices have had it for 5 months already.

I also don't understand your statement about us not having Android if it wasn't for the iphone. What does that mean?
It means that Apple changed the game, before it was cellphone companies making phones the way they wanted to make them. Now it's software companies making them the way customers want them. iOS, Android and Windows.

You can change your first statement backwards and it still plays out...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I haven't been impressed with what I've heard about the 5. I really don't see an upgrade reason from the 4. Seriously considering trying out Android, especially one of the superbad fast ones. If it weren't for having to repurchase apps, I would have made up my mind already.
Well the 5 should have an A5, be on 4G, have bigger mp camera. If you want the superbad fast one, you'll have to switch to Verizon's LTE.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
My Garage

It means that Apple changed the game, before it was cellphone companies making phones the way they wanted to make them. Now it's software companies making them the way customers want them. iOS, Android and Windows.

You can change your first statement backwards and it still plays out...
So you're saying that if Edison didn't invent the lightbulb, we would all be in the dark right now? Apple makes their SW the way they want it. Google let's people make it their own and customize it. Google is king of open source and customization. Apple beat them to it, no doubt there, but to say that we wouldn't have Android if it wasn't for the iPhone is a bit much.

You're right that the statement plays out, but which one do you think is more accurate? Technology is constantly advancing, when people buy phone's they get what they can at the time. When new phones come, they weren't available at that time, so they get the new one. It has nothing to do with the old phone lacking, it's about availability. If you could have bought the iPhone 5 last year, you would have, but you can't, so you have to wait and buy it when it comes out.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM
My Garage

Well the 5 should have an A5, be on 4G, have bigger mp camera. If you want the superbad fast one, you'll have to switch to Verizon's LTE.
I'm not trying to turn this into an iphone vs Android thing. This is strictly to assist Cochese. All those feature have been available on Android devices for months now. By the time the iPhone 5 comes out later this year, you will be hearing about quad core Android devices.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

I'm not trying to turn this into an iphone vs Android thing. This is strictly to assist Cochese. All those feature have been available on Android devices for months now. By the time the iPhone 5 comes out later this year, you will be hearing about quad core Android devices.

Yup. A faster processor doesn't do anything for me because there is very little the 4 lags on. As for 4G, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 AM
My Garage

Yup. A faster processor doesn't do anything for me because there is very little the 4 lags on. As for 4G, I'll believe it when I see it.
Software will develop faster than hardware. I thought my 1ghz single core Nexus 1 would never lag, but new games and apps are giving it trouble.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
nnInn

Not trying to turn it into one either, seems what he wants will be with next iphone and the price of apps add up.

It's the same thing with people buying high priced cameras, people think that just because it's the latest thing on the market they have to have it. If what you currently have does what you want it to do, why worry about changing??? It's all about having the latest item in your hand.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
nnInn

So you're saying that if Edison didn't invent the lightbulb, we would all be in the dark right now? Apple makes their SW the way they want it. Google let's people make it their own and customize it. Google is king of open source and customization. Apple beat them to it, no doubt there, but to say that we wouldn't have Android if it wasn't for the iPhone is a bit much.

You're right that the statement plays out, but which one do you think is more accurate? Technology is constantly advancing, when people buy phone's they get what they can at the time. When new phones come, they weren't available at that time, so they get the new one. It has nothing to do with the old phone lacking, it's about availability. If you could have bought the iPhone 5 last year, you would have, but you can't, so you have to wait and buy it when it comes out.
I'd say my way plays out my correct, it's all about having the latest and greatest in your pocket instead of something that works.

Seems that Google didn't worry about cellphones until Apple put forth the iPhone.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
My Garage

I'd say my way plays out my correct, it's all about having the latest and greatest in your pocket instead of something that works.

Seems that Google didn't worry about cellphones until Apple put forth the iPhone.
It's the same way with all tech. Everyone wants the latest and greatest laptop specs, even if their current computer works.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
To say that Apple is better than Google because they invented the whole OS thing is like saying Thomas Edison will always be better than the guy that invented CFL's and LED's.

I'm just gonna put in my opinion here and leave it at that. I've had the iPhone for two years. Switched to Android. Had it for less than a year and I enjoy it much better than the iPhone.

What I love about the Android is the ability to change. The reason why people love latest and greatest is because of change. Something different. We all love that. That's why we gawk at new cars and new Apple devices. Because it's new. Lets be honest here, every time Apple release a new iPhone/iPad device, it is not breaking any hardware records. It adds a faster CPU and a camera, A CAMERA EVERYONE! My point is, people aren't getting it for the hardware. They love change, something different, and new.

I don't have to worry about that with my Android. I can customize it the way I want [visually]. Make it look completely different and call it a month. I don't need new hardware because I can switch ROMs and the phone will look completely different and I would feel like I got a new phone.

Now with that being said, this doesn't make the iPhone inferior. The iPhone can do what Android can. I can't think of anything that I do on the Android that I can't on the iPhone. It just lacks full customization. Which to some people it doesn't even matter. And that's why there is no superior device out there.

Beware though, when you switch to Android, you will HATE HATE HATE the lack of apps. I have worked around it but I would still want to have the vast amount of apps that the iPhone has.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 05-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
My Garage

I don't think he said Apple was better, just responsible.

Otherwise, I agree with all your points. The app situation get's better everyday and the improvements to the Marketplace over the past couple days are amazing.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM
nnInn

Who said anything about Apple being better? I'm saying don't knock it because it does what is suppose to do. I'll keep laughing though, when I looking through forums and people are bitching that eff'd up their Android by trying to install the next version of OS, when the phone they have wasn't built to support it.

AFA Apple, I say give them some credit for bringing forth what has happened to what people called smartphones. Because it's gone beyond that, with the release of the iPhone.

The lack of apps for Android is because of the "open market" that it is. I know a lot of people with both iPhone and Androids, for photography reasons alone. Those with Androids hate the lack of apps, or the poor quality of what's being released. Because there are no standards. Apps that do make it to Android are because they were first big with the iPhone.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM

I don't think he said Apple was better, just responsible.

Otherwise, I agree with all your points. The app situation get's better everyday and the improvements to the Marketplace over the past couple days are amazing.
Hmm I don't know too much about the discussion on Apple innovating the OS game, but I know that Palm, Symbian, and Blackberry OS's started it all. Apple just improved on it and present it in a product that was irresistible. Apple has the ability to do that. That's why tablet sales are soaring.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Hmm I don't know too much about the discussion on Apple innovating the OS game, but I know that Palm, Symbian, and Blackberry OS's started it all. Apple just improved on it and present it in a product that was irresistible. Apple has the ability to do that. That's why tablet sales are soaring.
And what I said, was that it took Apple, a software company to get the market to change. Not rely on cellphone makers to put out what they wanted. Now other software companies are telling cellphone makers what their phones should actually be doing.

Hell I take it back even further, Apple's Newton was beyond it's time and then there were Palm's were everywhere years later.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM

And what I said, was that it took Apple, a software company to get the market to change. Not rely on cellphone makers to put out what they wanted. Now other software companies are telling cellphone makers what their phones should actually be doing.
Well, I know. I give Apple all the credit by bringing technology to the people. Apple is the perfect liaison between technology and the consumers. If I ever started a company that sells paper clips, I would hire Steve Jobs and make billions.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
My Garage

Who said anything about Apple being better? I'm saying don't knock it because it does what is suppose to do. I'll keep laughing though, when I looking through forums and people are bitching that eff'd up their Android by trying to install the next version of OS, when the phone they have wasn't built to support it.

AFA Apple, I say give them some credit for bringing forth what has happened to what people called smartphones. Because it's gone beyond that, with the release of the iPhone.

The lack of apps for Android is because of the "open market" that it is. I know a lot of people with both iPhone and Androids, for photography reasons alone. Those with Androids hate the lack of apps, or the poor quality of what's being released. Because there are no standards. Apps that do make it to Android are because they were first big with the iPhone.
Those people on the boards are probably people who have rooted and are choosing to put it on a phone that wasn't supported. That's their problem and not Android's fault. Other wise they wouldn't have been sent the update.

Because of the openeness, it's very easy to get update links and load, Google can't control when people do it when they aren't supposed to.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Those people on the boards are probably people who have rooted and are choosing to put it on a phone that wasn't supported. That's their problem and not Android's fault. Other wise they wouldn't have been sent the update.

Because of the openeness, it's very easy to get update links and load, Google can't control when people do it when they aren't supposed to.
I was about to call a fallacy on that too. Just because dumb people doing dumb stuff doesn't mean Android is dumb.

People jailbreak the iPhone without following directions on which bootrom is compatible, which firmware to use limerain, blackrain, the snows, pwnagetools, etc, or never update firmware if you are unlocked and jailbroke. And still, people still update and I have to find a way to unlock/jailbreak for them again.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM
nnInn

I know it's their fault, it the same with Windows and the concurrent release that they made over the years. The better the software the better of the machine you had to have to use the software. It's just fun to laugh at them thinking they can do whatever they want and then bitch and whine that it doesn't work.

Pretty easy to get updated on the iPhone as well, but I know they'll work. Next iPhone released on the Verizon network will allow OS updates without syncing.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
My Garage

I know it's their fault, it the same with Windows and the concurrent release that they made over the years. The better the software the better of the machine you had to have to use the software. It's just fun to laugh at them thinking they can do whatever they want and then bitch and whine that it doesn't work.

Pretty easy to get updated on the iPhone as well, but I know they'll work. Next iPhone released on the Verizon network will allow OS updates without syncing.
I know my Android update will work too. But don't you think some people out there tried manually updating their OG iPhone with latest update, only to find out it didn't work? Same principle here. Doesn't really have much to with Apple being less troublesome than Android. Both work properly when used properly.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
nnInn

The only way to update iPhone is via iTunes and then that is when iTunes has determine if the software matches the hardware. So I don't think people were able to update OG iPhone to latest iOS. I know my OG iTouch stop with OS 3. Maybe a jailbreaker, someone who wanted to do it.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
My Garage

The only way to update iPhone is via iTunes and then that is when iTunes has determine if the software matches the hardware. So I don't think people were able to update OG iPhone to latest iOS. I know my OG iTouch stop with OS 3. Maybe a jailbreaker, someone who wanted to do it.
Pretty sure there are manual ways to update, without iTunes. Or even with iTunes, but you choose the update file manually instead of DLing from Apple servers.

And regardless, the point is that Android is just as solid as iOS, when used properly.

Last edited by GIBSON6594; 05-12-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
My Garage

Keep in mind, iOS has never been without it's problems. My memory recalls all kinds of update disasters, wifi failures, and other connectivity issues.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Yup. I had to restore the phone a couple of times. Once it wouldn't restore on my iTunes at home. For whatever reason it worked at Apple Store. I was there for like 2 hours.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts

Edison had about as much to do with "inventing" the lightbulb as Columbus had to do with "discovering" the Americas.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by black label
Edison had about as much to do with "inventing" the lightbulb as Columbus had to do with "discovering" the Americas.
Alright, but that wasn't the point
Old 05-13-2011, 01:30 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts

I'll be very surprised if the 5 has 4g/LTE...that supposedly isnt coming til 6.

As for Gibson...perhaps its true...but a lot of us hold on to our iphones because we feels its stupid to spend the money on a new phone every 6 months. I held on my 1st gen iphone for 2 years til the 3gs...and now my wife uses it...so the iphone 1 has held up for nearly 4 years...and right now are we starting to look at replacing it.

I jumped to the 4 because it was a huge upgrade to the 3gs....and if the 5 is not a huge upgrade, I'll wait for the 6. Its not like the 4 is an outdated POS.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
The Third Ball

You can't deny Apple didn't change the game in the cell phone world. And if Apple hadnt made this play would companies such as google really followed suit and made a competitive mobile OS? Perhaps one day, at some point...but who knows when.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

As for Gibson...perhaps its true...but a lot of us hold on to our iphones because we feels its stupid to spend the money on a new phone every 6 months. I held on my 1st gen iphone for 2 years til the 3gs...and now my wife uses it...so the iphone 1 has held up for nearly 4 years...and right now are we starting to look at replacing it.

I jumped to the 4 because it was a huge upgrade to the 3gs....and if the 5 is not a huge upgrade, I'll wait for the 6. Its not like the 4 is an outdated POS.
This
Old 05-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Who buys one every six months, regardless of OS?

I got a 4, and I'm in the market again because my wife's 3G (which I gave to her last year) is such a dog. So I thought if I was going to spend money this year, I want something new - not just a minor update. 4->5 isn't worth it.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
The Third Ball

No has even seen the 5 or knows exactly what it will or wont have...

Its all just rumors at this point.

All this speculation and over-hype that everyone just LOVES to project is so fucking stupid.

I mean get the phone you want...wait or dont wait...but people need to stop taking rumors as fact.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

They're getting better at predicting what it's going to have, in part because they've learned to get reliable sources. Everyone has a pretty good idea of what this one is going to have, and I bet they are right - it's an update, not an upgrade.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:03 PM
My Garage

You can't deny Apple didn't change the game in the cell phone world. And if Apple hadnt made this play would companies such as google really followed suit and made a competitive mobile OS? Perhaps one day, at some point...but who knows when.
I never denied that Apple changed the game, in fact I supported it. What I do deny is the statement that we would not have Android if it wasn't for Apple. I don't think it was a secret that the handheld market was going to advance and smartphone/PDA market was growing. Keep in mind, Palm was doing things similar to smartphones long before the iPhone.

Andy Rubin started working on Android in 2003, after working for Apple. I can't say if he based his ideas off of Apple info, bur I would have to assume he didn't.

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...n-the-company/

Was that long after Apple started production on it's mobile OS?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 PM
My Garage

I think it's stupid too. I also think the amount of people that buy phones every 6 months is being grossly exaggerated here.

I guess my point could summized as this: If there were no advancements in technology when new phone's came out, people would most likely not buy new phones, regardless of how long they've had their phone. That wouldn't mean their phone was lacking, it is what was available at the time they bought it.

Last edited by GIBSON6594; 05-13-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
nnInn

Who buys one every six months, regardless of OS?

I got a 4, and I'm in the market again because my wife's 3G (which I gave to her last year) is such a dog. So I thought if I was going to spend money this year, I want something new - not just a minor update. 4->5 isn't worth it.
There are some here that have had two or three different in the last couple of years.

But what are you missing that 4G cannot do? You keep saying 4 to 5 isn't with it, but then you bring up a 3G.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

I'm replacing a 3G, and if I'm going to spend money, it's probably not going to be on another 4.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/2...rint-t-mobile/

Apple: Analyst Says No LTE in iPhone 5; To Add Sprint, T-Mobile

Apple‘s iPhone 5 launch in September isn’t likely to include LTE functionality, Jefferies & Co. analyst Peter Misek asserts in a research note.

“According to our industry checks, the device should be called iPhone 4S and include minor cosmetic changes, better cameras, A5 dual-core processor, and HSPA+ support,” he writes in a research note.

But he also says that “industry checks indicate Apple will likely announce Sprint, T-Mobile, and China Mobile as new carriers.”

As for LTE, he says the Qualcomm LTE chipset Apple would have used “is currently not achieving yields sufficient for inclusion in the iPhone 5.” He says Apple had hoped to have the LTE chipsets ready, but was planning a version without LTE called iPhone 4S.

On the new carriers, he says Apple will announce distribution deals with Sprint and T-Mobile in time for the holidays. He also contends that China Mobile could be added in the next 12 months.

Meanwhile, he says that demand trends indicate “significant ramps” for the iPad, but that demand for the iPhone is “flat” as “strength from the white iPhone 4 release and launches on new carriers
such as SK Telekom are offset by slowing at AT&T and Vodafone.”
Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 PM

I'm not up to date with the Tmobile buyout, but if ATT was gonna buy out Tmobile, the heck is the point on releasing it on Tmobile?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I'm not up to date with the Tmobile buyout, but if ATT was gonna buy out Tmobile, the heck is the point on releasing it on Tmobile?
I think it's just a backup plan. It doesn't take a lot of specialized work to make a cell phone for T-Mobile due to their cell frequencies.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread