Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I think it's just a backup plan. It doesn't take a lot of specialized work to make a cell phone for T-Mobile due to their cell frequencies.
Oh

My whole family uses Tmobile. Now they can get an iPhone and stop bothering me about unlocking it for them.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Oh

My whole family uses Tmobile. Now they can get an iPhone and stop bothering me about unlocking it for them.
And you'll get 3g data speeds if you wish.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
You should also keep in mind that Android devices are usually slightly ahead of the iPhone on a hardware level ....
If a purchaser is someone who shops hardware specifications, then he is just not necessarily going to want an iPhone.

The iPhone's popularity has to do with its usability...the fact that it is an inherently instinctive user experience. Android has come a long way, but it still doesn't run as well as iOS (IMHO), and, let's face it: The main reason Android devices needed faster processors and more memory was because Google *needed* it!!

If Android is what you like, that's fine. I've tried everything, and do not find any kind of advantage to any Android device. But that's just me, one stupid, silly old man. :-)

Now that I think of it, the GPU + CPU integration that the A4 enjoys and has enjoyed for a while is something that Android devices are only now beginning to have. And there isn't a link between Android and any kind of manufacturing executive, so Android ends up being a great experience on a particular device with a particular GPU and CPU, capable of playing even very complicated games, but the same version of Android ends up being a bad experience on a device that might be able to advertise high powered specifications but which simply doesn't have its act together when it comes to how the device interfaces with the RAM, or how and when the GPU and CPU elements switch tasks.

Have you ever watched a movie on an iPhone 4? It's not a bad experience, and you'll find that you prefer the little 3.75" Retina Display to the displays of the iPads and other devices in the 10" to 12" range. It's just a nice overall, general experience.

There isn't going to be a single answer that serves everybody well, but I think the iPhone comes closest of anything available.

IMHO, of course.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Well the 5 should have an A5, be on 4G, have bigger mp camera. If you want the superbad fast one, you'll have to switch to Verizon's LTE.
It'll be an A5 with an even better integration with the GPU. It'll probably have even more, very fast RAM.

Yeah, they'll probably give you an even better camera, even though the low advertised mp of the current camera still produces video and images that are higher quality than those of devices with much higher advertised mp.

Do you use the HDR function of the iPhone camera? :-) It's great.

I do not think we will have LTE (4G) on the next iPhone, which might be called a "4S" instead of a "5."

I don't see how they can get a Qualcomm chip into the size of the iPhone and still do everything else that they want to do. The only sized multifunctional chip available could not possibly be produced in sufficient quantities anytime in 2012, and I do not see how Qualcomm can fix all the issues with it in time for the next iPhone. It'll support HSPA+ on AT&T, however, giving you all the advantages of whatever your local arrays will support.

I think we might get a 4" screen this time, and retain the Retina Display.

The next iPhone will be a very nice upgrade of hardware, but I don't think it'll be revolutionary. What might be revolutionary is iOS 5. It sounds like they're finally tackling many of the requests they've been getting the past couple of years, and it might be a very nice operating system improvement.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
It'll be an A5 with an even better integration with the GPU. It'll probably have even more, very fast RAM.

Yeah, they'll probably give you an even better camera, even though the low advertised mp of the current camera still produces video and images that are higher quality than those of devices with much higher advertised mp.

Do you use the HDR function of the iPhone camera? :-) It's great.

I do not think we will have LTE (4G) on the next iPhone, which might be called a "4S" instead of a "5."

I don't see how they can get a Qualcomm chip into the size of the iPhone and still do everything else that they want to do. The only sized multifunctional chip available could not possibly be produced in sufficient quantities anytime in 2012, and I do not see how Qualcomm can fix all the issues with it in time for the next iPhone. It'll support HSPA+ on AT&T, however, giving you all the advantages of whatever your local arrays will support.

I think we might get a 4" screen this time, and retain the Retina Display.

The next iPhone will be a very nice upgrade of hardware, but I don't think it'll be revolutionary. What might be revolutionary is iOS 5. It sounds like they're finally tackling many of the requests they've been getting the past couple of years, and it might be a very nice operating system improvement.
IMO Apple has always been about giving you good hardware and pretty damn good OS. AFA the camera. I love it, I've had it for less than two months, and being a photo nerd, I'm having a lot of fun with it. And many apps to play with.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
If a purchaser is someone who shops hardware specifications, then he is just not necessarily going to want an iPhone.

The iPhone's popularity has to do with its usability...the fact that it is an inherently instinctive user experience. Android has come a long way, but it still doesn't run as well as iOS (IMHO), and, let's face it: The main reason Android devices needed faster processors and more memory was because Google *needed* it!!

If Android is what you like, that's fine. I've tried everything, and do not find any kind of advantage to any Android device. But that's just me, one stupid, silly old man. :-)

Now that I think of it, the GPU + CPU integration that the A4 enjoys and has enjoyed for a while is something that Android devices are only now beginning to have. And there isn't a link between Android and any kind of manufacturing executive, so Android ends up being a great experience on a particular device with a particular GPU and CPU, capable of playing even very complicated games, but the same version of Android ends up being a bad experience on a device that might be able to advertise high powered specifications but which simply doesn't have its act together when it comes to how the device interfaces with the RAM, or how and when the GPU and CPU elements switch tasks.

Have you ever watched a movie on an iPhone 4? It's not a bad experience, and you'll find that you prefer the little 3.75" Retina Display to the displays of the iPads and other devices in the 10" to 12" range. It's just a nice overall, general experience.

There isn't going to be a single answer that serves everybody well, but I think the iPhone comes closest of anything available.

IMHO, of course.
I can't really argue any of that. Especially because the amount of people using the iphone. It just depends on what type of experience you want. If you want a "inherently instinctive user experience", then it's simple, go get an iPhone.

I prefer a experience where I'm involved with my phone and it's abilities. Similar to a PC, you buy it, bring it home and then you make it yours. You pick which browser you want to use, which mail applications, which music software, ect, ect. Same thing with Android, I can use the stock apps, but if, but there are dozens of other third party apps I can use. I can replace my SMS app, E-mail app, Music app, Browser, and practically anything else I want to replace.

There are also a couple things that put Android over the top for me, those are the notification system (be honest, it's pathetic on iOS), widgets (I love that I don't have to go into individual apps to see my info), and true multi-tasking that isn't limited to certain functionality.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

I can't really argue any of that. Especially because the amount of people using the iphone. It just depends on what type of experience you want. If you want a "inherently instinctive user experience", then it's simple, go get an iPhone.

I prefer a experience where I'm involved with my phone and it's abilities. Similar to a PC, you buy it, bring it home and then you make it yours. You pick which browser you want to use, which mail applications, which music software, ect, ect. Same thing with Android, I can use the stock apps, but if, but there are dozens of other third party apps I can use. I can replace my SMS app, E-mail app, Music app, Browser, and practically anything else I want to replace.

There are also a couple things that put Android over the top for me, those are the notification system (be honest, it's pathetic on iOS), widgets (I love that I don't have to go into individual apps to see my info), and true multi-tasking that isn't limited to certain functionality.
Sounds like you should either stick to Android or get the Pre3 next month.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM
My Garage

Sounds like you should either stick to Android or get the Pre3 next month.
No one has sold me on Palm/HP.

I feel like the developer support is near non-existent.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Aren't they pushing the Pre3 as a business phone, not a social phone?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Aren't they pushing the Pre3 as a business phone, not a social phone?
They are but it will do all the 'social' stuff just fine.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

No one has sold me on Palm/HP.

I feel like the developer support is near non-existent.
Funny because I hear the opposite. Great developer support but little interest because of market share.

I figure now that HP, the largest of the computer companies owns Palm that the market share will dramatically increase.

WebOS is arguably the best mobile operating system.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
Old 05-14-2011, 03:36 PM
My Garage

Funny because I hear the opposite. Great developer support but little interest because of market share.

I figure now that HP, the largest of the computer companies owns Palm that the market share will dramatically increase.

WebOS is arguably the best mobile operating system.
I wish I could agree with you, because I've heard it's a great OS, but it seems Web OS is getting much less support from the devs.

http://gigaom.com/2011/04/26/android...llengers-fade/

According to that site, as of April 26, interest in development for Web OS is below every other mobile OS other than Symbian and Meego. As good as it may be, without good apps to go along with, it will always be lacking. Not saying things can't change, but I'm sticking with Android for now.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I wish I could agree with you, because I've heard it's a great OS, but it seems Web OS is getting much less support from the devs.

According to that site, as of April 26, interest in development for Web OS is below every other mobile OS other than Symbian and Meego. As good as it may be, without good apps to go along with, it will always be lacking. Not saying things can't change, but I'm sticking with Android for now.
Well I agree with that survey, like I said it's all about market share. Why go to all that hard work for a small sliver of the pie?

HP is pushing hard though, they have the cash that Palm did not.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Palm shit all over their name pre-buyout. Too late for them now to do anything. Waste of hp's money.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Palm **** all over their name pre-buyout. Too late for them now to do anything. Waste of hp's money.
That's kind of how I feel about the Nokia and Microsoft potential buyout.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:35 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I just learned that if you push the "Locate Me" button twice in Maps, the map rotates toward the direction you're looking...

This is most likely old news for everybody but coming from my compassless 3G, this is big news

Last edited by S A CHO; 05-18-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i found that pretty nifty. almost as nifty as my recent jailbreak

im loving lockinfo and my latest theme i2HD
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
I just learned that if you push the "Locate Me" button twice in Maps, the map rotates toward the direction you're looking...

This is most likely old news for everybody but coming from my compassless 3G, this is big news
New to me and my 3Gs...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
After almost 5 years. My OG 1st gen iPhone that my wife has been using on tmobile is starting to go (top lock button stopped working) so we finally brought to AT&T with 16gb white iPhone.

I dig the white.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts

That's exactly what I've been hearing from my friends. HP pretty much on all the early adopters and developers by skipping over WebOS 2 and going straight to 3 which is using a proprietary language much like what Apple uses. From what my friends have told me, devs would pretty much have to rewrite their entire application to get them to work on the new phones running WebOS 3.

HP is simply banking on the hopes that since they make so many computers, they'll get devs that want to put apps on their machines. It's gamble, but it may work. Sadly, the devs that enjoy doing the work because they like what they do and they push the technology are going to move on to other stuff, while the guys only looking to make money are going to churn out sub-par apps just to make a quick profit. That's my hunch.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by phee

Lockinfo is by far the best "app" that I have. It's one of those apps that you don't realize how much you use it until it is gone. I don't know why Apple does not include something like that. Having all of that info at a glance by hitting one button is far better than unlocking the phone and opening different apps.

Now, I need to update my iPhone. I have been putting it off because I don't want to lose all of my JB apps. I know you can back them up, I just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to do it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM

well latest rumors say that iOS5 will have a revamped notification system. finally. hopefully its implemented well.

and widgets.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/...m-and-widgets/

heres a concent vision of how one person wants widgets to be.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_B3uj-MAJx0?rel=0&amp;hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if i would use it or want it like that
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM

it seems like to me if you have to many widgets you might as well just goto the app instead of swiping thru all the pages.

its the same with how i feel about the multitasking.

if you have that many apps in the multitasking bar, you might as well just goto the homescreen and flick to the app itself, it might be faster then swiping thru numerous pages of apps in the multitasking bar

i dont know if im making any sense.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by phee

I see.

Have you started complaining about the battery life, yet?

:-)
Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,194 Posts
Turn your iPhone into something like an iPad
http://www.9to5mac.com/69849/ecs-tab...os/#more-69849
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
widgets = semi-pointless
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM

But I'm sure you'll have the option to turn it off or on.

Unless it's on the lock screen I won't use it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I almost don't want to update when it comes out... My 4 is working flawlessly, it has all the features I want and works as fast as I want it to... I'll never use widgets, so why update the software to have it? It's just taking up space and slowing everything else down...

I've also got a sour taste in my mouth from religiously updating my 3G... it went from working great to a slow POS after each new update...

Unless something huge comes along where I NEED to update (like all the apps requiring iOS 5) I probably won't bother...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I'll be waiting to see what iOS 5 has to offer, and if there's any hint of what the hardware might hold.

But, I think I'll be going to the Galazy S2 when it comes out. After having an iPhone for three years, I feel the need for change. I might not like it and switch back, but I have to check it out. Wife will get my 4, just hope her 3G can hold on until the time comes. Keep getting the WSOD and trying a full restore now.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
My Garage

Yea, having a calendar widget right on my homescreen, along with recent news and weather, so that I don't have to open individual apps to get that information is completely worthless. And I'd much rather go through 3 levels of settings to turn wifi and bluetooth on and off instead just clicking a button on my power control widget.

Widgets don't use up much processing power or battery power at all. It's a glance instead of swiping to an app, opening it, loading the data, closing the app.

Last edited by GIBSON6594; 06-03-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
My Garage

If Apple had widgets from the beginning, you all would be raving about how amazing they are.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM

If Apple had widgets from the beginning, you all would be raving about how amazing they are.
STFU and GTFO!!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Mizouse
STFU and GTFO!!
I'm not trying to be a pain...think about it.

If iOS had widgets and Android did not, you wouldn't list is as an advantage iOS has over Android?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM

no because i wont use them.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Banned

Fuck that, I can't wait.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Mizouse
no because i wont use them.
Why not?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned

Wife's 3G was doing the WSOD, so I opened it up and it was just the ribbons coming loose. Made sure they all were plugged back in and we're all good.

With the iOS5 announcement coming today, I'll probably be okay until the S2 finally comes out, or perhaps I can wait for the inevitable next best thing.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,493 Likes on 6,359 Posts
PC free is cool and delta OTA updates too. new camera stuff is nice and searching the entire message. otherwise.....
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
Fall??? Fail!!!

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread