Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ I say bring it! Apple needs to get into the 4G game sooner than the fall of this year.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Well AT&T started with the iPhone 4S, after 5.1 upgrade, it now says 4G on the phone Speed test do show an improvement.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
:ibItWon'tBeNamedIphone5:
Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
iPhone 4S-GT
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well AT&T announced today they will unlock your iPhone if you have no contractual obligation and your account is in good standing. Yay! Way to go Tim Cook! I will call AT&T on Sunday April 8 for the unlock.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Sweet. I think my contract is up in June of this year.

My moms 3GS is already Off contract.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
But geez who to unlock to? No common 3G bands.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
That's never stopped t mobile users from using iPhones before, as well as world travelers.

I found that t mobiles edge network is pretty fast
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
OMG I'm so ready for the next iPhone. Had the iPhone4 since iPhone4 day (june 23 2010 or something like that...the day football sized hail fell on my brand new 1 month old 4G TL and F*CKED up the exterior)

I'm thinking of getting a Nokia Lumia 900 off contract until iPhone5 day...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Yea I want to unlock it for travel use.

I bought a sim card to use in China, but when i got there, no signal. Probably cause my original iPhone doesnt support the right bands?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Well, the iPhone unlock process was painless. eMailed AT&T Tech Support who contacted me by cellphone. I gave them my IMEI, which was verified and sent to Apple for unlocking. Connected iPhone 4 to iTunes, did a restore and got "Congradulations, your phone is unlocked". AT&T even called me 2 days later to check my progress. How's that for Customer Support?

I sold the iPhone 4 for a good price with cases and AppleCare.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM

You were out of contract for the iPhone 4?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced

Yes. Never had a contract. I bought the iPhone at the full no contract price. At the time, Apple did not sell the iPhone unlocked as they do now.

I removed the SIM Card and use it in my veriZon iPad 3. No AT&T LTE but HSPA+ is faster than EV-DO. The new iPad is truly unlocked, at least the veriZon version. I am hoping when the iPhone 5 is released, I can use VZW or AT&T on one phone, like I can with the new iPad. That would be cool.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 AM

The current iPhone 4S is IIRC A world phone. The same phone can be used on either Verizon AT&T or sprint.

as far as I remember...

I think they come carrier locked thou.

Last edited by Mizouse; 04-14-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by The_Tripzter
Yes. Never had a contract. I bought the iPhone at the full no contract price. At the time, Apple did not sell the iPhone unlocked as they do now.

I removed the SIM Card and use it in my veriZon iPad 3. No AT&T LTE but HSPA+ is faster than EV-DO. The new iPad is truly unlocked, at least the veriZon version. I am hoping when the iPhone 5 is released, I can use VZW or AT&T on one phone, like I can with the new iPad. That would be cool.
Wait so you bought your iPhone 4 full price. And then when the new iPad came out, you put in the AT&T (cell plan) sim card into it, you were able to get data?

I tried and it didn't work.. Teach me?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced

Its real easy. If you have a VZW iPad 3, and want to use an activated AT&T SIM card, simply turn off the Cellular Data. On your iPad using wifi, go to this url: www.unlockit.co.nz Select your carrier, (AT&T Cingular, not AT&T Broadband). The website will upload to your iPad AT&T's APN Settings. Insert your SIM, press the unlockit.co.nz icon on your iPad, and follow on screen prompts. Then turn on Cellular. If you have an AT&T SIM activated on an iPad, this step is not required. All you need is the proper carrier APN settings. You can also do this manually using Apple's iPhone Utility Software. And yes, while the iPhone is a world phone, it is GSM is locked in the US. VZW will unlock the GSM SIM slot, but won't let you use it in the US. The iPad is the first device that will let you use AT&T or VZW on one device, not carrier locked in the US.
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (05-12-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Apple Patents Flexible Haptic Screen

iPhone 5 Feature? Apple Patents Advanced Haptics For Flexible OLED Screen [PICTURES]
By Dave Smith: Subscribe to Dave Smith's RSS feed

May 7, 2012 3:22 PM EDT

LinkedinTweet
4Start iPhone 5 Features: Apple Patents Advanced Haptics For Flexible OLED Screen [PICTURES]

For its sixth-generation iPhone, presumably called "iPhone 5," Apple is reportedly building a device with a thinner and lighter frame, but a bigger 4-inch screen, according to Korean-based ETNews. Yet with a slew of rumored features, from an NFC mobile payments system to 3D photography, a recently released patent for an incredibly intelligent multi-tiered haptics system could be the one feature to rule them all.

Imagine feeling the texture of a picture, or buttons and arrows that magically elevate from the rest of your screen. This is what Apple has in mind for the future of its iDevices, and the first version of this exciting technology could possibly be introduced alongside its flagship device, the iPhone.

Talk of advanced haptics has been circulating in the rumor mill since last year, when reports surfaced shortly before the release of the iPhone 4S that the next iPhone would feature a haptics system that gave users a new level of feedback for their touchscreens. More recently, before the new iPad was unveiled in March, there was talk of the same haptics system coming to the iPad. Now, it appears that system is becoming a reality.

"A control system of a tiered haptic system may determine the amount of pressure, force, displacement or other physical response associated with the user stimuli," Apple said in its patent filing. "For example, a tiered haptic system may distinguish between relatively light contact and a relatively heavy contact on the screen surface. In some embodiments, a tiered haptic system may perform particular tasks depending on the physical response of the stimuli." (This could certainly apply to painting or illustrating apps.)

In its patent filing, Apple describes how current haptic feedback systems allow a user to interact with a subsystem by touching it, which is accomplished with sensors, actuators or both. Most forms of haptic feedback are found in video games (e.g. controllers that "rumble") and robotics, but Apple's concept system would blow previous methods out of the water.

The new haptics system developed by Apple is all about flexibility. In addition to vibration, Apple's haptic system can use actuation to create shape changes or patterns. For example, future iPhone or iPad users could feel the contours of a geographical map, or could feel raised buttons on a touch display, which would make touchscreen typing substantially easier.

Apple's advanced haptics are also multi-functional, so they can both sense and perform actions at the same time. Some versions of the technology couple the haptics system with a secondary display screen, audio system or another device entirely, so an action performed on a TV screen could possibly be felt directly on your device. This would be extremely useful if Apple ever builds its iTV, so any iDevice could create buttons specific to the program you're trying to control (e.g. Blu-ray DVD controls vs. cable TV controls vs. video game controls, etc.).

So how does this all work? How can a user feel a 3D object on a 2D screen? Apple says its new invention includes several elastic screens (made of any suitable material, from elastomers like rubber to polyeurethane or polyester) that are stacked on top of each other, so various arrangements of the signals could create elements of different sizes and shapes. With these layers of elastic sheets, Apple's haptic system can create different types of actuation, including "vibration, net displacement, bending, deforming, other modes, or any combination of these elements."

While the system would create a striking way to interact with your iPhone, Apple also adds that this haptic system can be applied to flexible organic light emitting diode screens, or OLED screens. The OLED screen can be flexible or inflexible, and inflexible embodiments of the display could potentially include a protective cover made of a clear plastic like Lexan. It was interesting that Apple cited Lexan, since the plastic is typically used for space and sports helmets, but it can also be used for heads-up displays or video glasses, such as Google's "Project Glass." Who knows, Apple could be building a Project Glass competitor as we speak.

Even if Apple isn't building its own eyeglasses, the company says this advanced haptics system would work with almost every portable Apple device, including iPhones, iPod Touch devices, iPads, MacBooks, and even TVs and video projectors. It can also work with monochrome displays like e-Ink displays, which could mean Apple is building a hybrid Retina-to-grayscale display.

So what's the likelihood that Apple could actually implement this display in time for September or October, when everyone expects the iPhone 5 to be released? It is completely possible since this technology has been long in the making, but there's no mistaking the fact that Apple has filed several haptic-related patents since March 2011. Apple wants this technology to happen, and it would make sense if Apple introduced 3D haptics alongside its 3D camera system, which is also apparently in the works. Both pieces of technology may be finished by October, which would certainly make it the No. 1 smartphone on everyone's holiday wish lists.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3381...n-pictures.htm
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Apple said to be ready to drop Google's maps for its own in iOS6

Apple is believed to be about to ditch Google as the provider of its mapping in the next major revision of iOS, the operating system that drives the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Instead it will introduce its own mapping solution including a 3D view and Street View-like product adapted from a number of companies including Placebase, C3 Technologies and Poly9 which it has acquired in the past few years.

If correct, the shift would mark a continuation of the company's shift away from Google-provided map data which was first noticed in MArch when it introduced its iPhoto app for iOS, which uses the crowdsourced OpenStreetMap product rather than Google to show locations.

9to5Mac is reporting that iOS 6, expected to be unveiled at the Worldwide Developers' Conference from June 11-15, will introduce in-house mapping, citing "trusted sources".

Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

The new maps would be built around Apple's own cloud computing system, which has been gradually rolled out with iCloud users, which it says now has more than 125 million users worldwide.

A key difference would be 3D representations using C3's maps, which use declassified missile target algorithms.

Though Apple's maps app in iOS uses Google's data, it has lagged behind that on Google's own Android OS since the introduction in December 2010 of Android 2.3, or "Gingerbread", which brought the ability to rotate the map onscreen - allowing the user to manipulate the map to align a street with their direction of view without moving the phone itself.

At the same time Google also introduced a 3D view and offline mode for maps. By contrast Apple's Maps app requires a data connection to function.

Google, it's known, pays Apple handsomely for its position as the search engine of choice on iOS devices (the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) which make up a substantial part of mobile search queries. Equally, Google also has a prominent position as the provider of interactive maps (through the Maps app) on iOS, which has been there since the iPhone was introduced in January 2007.

But Apple is also believed to want to break its ties with Google in mapping, though not search, where it gets a substantial split of any revenues Google receives from ad clickthroughs. However, in June 2010 it added Microsoft's Bing as an option for search in iOS - on which it is likely it also gets a share of revenues.

Google and Apple renewed their mapping agreement in May 2011, which surprised some because Apple's job postings had included a number of vacancies for people with expertise in mapping.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...?newsfeed=true
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by The_Tripzter
Its real easy. If you have a VZW iPad 3, and want to use an activated AT&T SIM card, simply turn off the Cellular Data. On your iPad using wifi, go to this url: www.unlockit.co.nz Select your carrier, (AT&T Cingular, not AT&T Broadband). The website will upload to your iPad AT&T's APN Settings. Insert your SIM, press the unlockit.co.nz icon on your iPad, and follow on screen prompts. Then turn on Cellular. If you have an AT&T SIM activated on an iPad, this step is not required. All you need is the proper carrier APN settings. You can also do this manually using Apple's iPhone Utility Software. And yes, while the iPhone is a world phone, it is GSM is locked in the US. VZW will unlock the GSM SIM slot, but won't let you use it in the US. The iPad is the first device that will let you use AT&T or VZW on one device, not carrier locked in the US.
thanks for this.

i vaguely remember someone mentioning that site a while back but i forgot it.

anyways i just installed the at&t APN settings onto my iPad and took out the sim card from my AT&T iPhone and put it into my iPad..

kind of nice to be able to swap in the sim if i need it while on a trip and there is no free wi-fi.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
^^ the maps app really hasn't had much in the way of updates since iOS 1.0, hopefully apple doesn't go and screw up something that wasn't really broken.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
thanks for this.

i vaguely remember someone mentioning that site a while back but i forgot it.

anyways i just installed the at&t APN settings onto my iPad and took out the sim card from my AT&T iPhone and put it into my iPad..

kind of nice to be able to swap in the sim if i need it while on a trip and there is no free wi-fi.
Well this might not work. Just got an email and text from AT&T regarding swapping in my sim card, and telling me that should set up a data plan for it in 30 days
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,279 Likes on 6,229 Posts
My-Wi FTW
The following users liked this post:
phee (05-14-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 PM

but no 4th G if i do that...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM

gawddamit i need to get a bigger C:/ drive... freaking iPhone backup is killing up the space on my 80GB OS drive.

i restored my iPhone cause it was running buggy as shit and restored from my backup.

well it decided to make a new backup eating up another 15GB...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Move your Music and App Data folders to another drive
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM

i already did, still doesnt help. the backup folder i have right now in "C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" is 12.8GB

i guess ill uninstall office since i dont use it on this computer.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM

ohh great.. im such a moron.

so i emptied out the space on my HD. and now when i plugged in my iPhone to sync back my stuff. it decided to auto sync my phone and delete all my stuff. now my backup folder is 4MB...

luckily i have a backup saved on a different drive from Oct of last year?

Last edited by Mizouse; 05-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 PM

ugh. all i was trying to do was restore from my backup that i synced before restoring my phone. Why does iTunes need to make an exact copy of my original backup while im restoring?

is it not possible for iTunes to just copy my backup to my phone?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 PM

luckily i have a backup saved on a different drive from Oct of last year?
well that didnt work. Thank god for my iPad. at least i didnt lose all my contacts and stuff..

but i am pissed i lost all my pictures i took from Jan of this year forward. that includes videos and pictures i took in Hong Kong when i paid a visit to my relatives.

time to use iCloud to backup my devices?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Sanest Florida Man

i already did, still doesnt help. the backup folder i have right now in "C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" is 12.8GB

i guess ill uninstall office since i dont use it on this computer.
You sure you moved the App data folder to another drive? doesn't look like it. Either that or iTunes uses shit program and uses a manual "C:\username\appdata\ " instead of %appdata%. which would mean that iTunes is going to ignore where windows says the appdata folder is located and always go to the C drive. that's just shitty programming, and while I bash apple for dumb shit like this, I'd like to think that even wouldn't be that stupid.

Changing App data location requires editing the registry. I'd create folder called appdata on your other drive, copy all the files from appdata under your user account on the C drive to that folder.

Then open the registry and go to

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

and edit the Appdata entry with the file location of your new folder. For example D:\AppData\Roaming instead of %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming

If you've copied the files already once you open iTunes it should Just Work™
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Sanest Florida Man

p.s. your pictures should still be in the photo stream folder in your pictures folder. If you turned photo stream on that is.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 AM

No photo stream. I did have my pictures manually copied to my computer. But the last time I copied was in Feb.

So I lost all the pictures and videos from my trip to Hong Hong.

Hopefully by the time I visit again, everyone will be the same.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 AM

when you said app data, i thought you mean moving my itunes media folder to another drive.

which i did.

but not what you described...

also i ran windows update last night and it created a restore point. could i restore back to that point and have my backup file still intact?

Last edited by Mizouse; 05-13-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Sanest Florida Man

no but check for previous versions of that folder. it might have one. right-click that backup folder and choose "restore previous version"

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-13-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 AM

nope nothing. ohh well.

the more important pictures i took with my SLR anyways.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 AM
Q('.')=O

I updated to the new iOS and then synced my phone with my new computer. It messed up the placement of all my apps. I moved them back to where they were, except for the newstand app. Unlike last ime where I could move it into a new folder, it won't work this time
Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced

Well this might not work. Just got an email and text from AT&T regarding swapping in my sim card, and telling me that should set up a data plan for it in 30 days
No problems here. While swapping SIM Card is a violation of the DeathStar's TOS, I have used it without any warning. YMMV. However, I am on the 2GB Data Plan, so it should not concern AT&T.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
After I updated my phone to 5.1.1 the battery life on my phone is shot again, draining fast :why:
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Q('.')=O

My battery is fine

Only thing I hate now though is I synced my apps to my new computer and it messed up all my app folders on my phone. Now it won't let me move the newsstand into a folder ; I guess they fixed that issue with the update.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread