Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
For those who have an iphone or ipod touch, I don't see the point in getting the IPad. They're essentially the same machines.
For those who have a Mac Book or MBP, the IPad is just a toy to be played with and isn't nearly as useful.
I have an iPhone and a MBP. I use the computer for photo editing, organizing scouting troop data, work, banking, etc. The phone basically allows me access to email, the web, etc wherever I am. But in the evenings when I'm sitting on the couch going brain dead in front of the tv while cruising mindless places like this I'll drag the laptop over instead of using the phone. Would the iPad suit me better there? Probably so, yes.

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
People looking for a business solution likely will want a full on laptop that can multitask, can do simple video conferencing, or even transfer data from one source via USB without any gimmicky attachments.
These sort of people were probably not even considered as part of the market for this thing. They aren't targeting them at all.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
My mother is dying for one.

She has an iphone. She has a MBP. She does all her work and designing on her MBP and she uses her iphone to sit in front of the TV and play games on and do emails. She is quite computer literate.

She is STOKED on the ipad because they canceled their newspaper subscription a long time ago (except sunday) and now she can easily read the daily news without lugging out her laptop, and she can do her email on a larger screen than the iphone, as well as play her games.
Please, no comparisons between me and Sarlacc's mother...... She doesn't need to be insulted like that
Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,352 Likes on 5,259 Posts
And I'm not going back through 18 pages to pull out all of bashing comments.

But I'd bet money that if someone were to make some awesome ass DJ on the go app so people can mix and make shit wherever with out a cumbersome laptop, You'd own one the day it hit the app store.
I admit I'm bashing it. But, it's not baseless. It's not because I don't like the Apple logo. It's because, it was a letdown. It was supposed to be closer to a MacBook in design and function, not closer to the iphone. That is what people were expecting of it.

I *HAVE* changed my outlook on things, since embracing the iphone. I have. Believe it or not. On each and every board I am on, I vocalize my appreciation and happiness with the iphone, each and every chance I get.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Isn't this the norm since the stocks had been up earlier this week?
See grain of salt comment. Whether or not Apple is in the minds of market investors is only psychology guesswork. What is significant is the fact that the WSJ (with ears to the buzz) is reporting that as a reason for a bad day (especially in tech).
Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,922 Likes on 2,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
when I'm sitting on the couch going brain dead in front of the tv while cruising mindless places like this I'll drag the laptop over instead of using the phone. Would the iPad suit me better there? Probably so, yes.
bingo. Whats more enjoyable...a 5 pound laptop on your legs generating heat...or a 1.5 pound tablet that do web and email just as easily when I'm vegging in from of the TV.

BUT....It can be a do all text book for college students. It can be a patient data device/medical device in hospitals.

Hell, they even say that in their vid...the device changes to your needs.

The iPad is niche device for a niche market. But it can fill a hell of a lot of niches because of the apps. Once everyone saw exactly what could come of the iphone BECAUSE of the app store and the crazy apps coming out, they decided to take it to the next level.

For as "simple" of a step as the ipad is (a big ipod touch)..its an easy to use device that doesnt require crazy computer literacy to work. you simply run the app and go.

I think people are being way to short sighted because are simply looking at the device as big ipod.

I'm betting it will become much more than that.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

To me, the best early indicators are the market reaction and the tech press reaction. CNET was pretty negative yesterday and the big Engadget editorial that was linked previously was especially eye-opening. I listen to their podcast and they usually lean heavily in Apple's favor.

My take is closest to that of Darren on Engadget - they should have marketed this as an e-book reader that can do more. It compares well with the Kindle (assuming the back-lighting doesn't strain your eyes which is a big question mark. e-ink is ugly, but it's really easy to read!). Trying to call it a Netbook killer when it can't even multitask is a big mistake.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
nettop > iPad for home use.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
no, it's more than that. I'll name something else, off the top of my head. For a company as revolutionary and groundbreaking as Apple, why don't Macbooks have the i3 / i5 / i7 processors yet?
I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm really not. But, Dell had its first Core i7 laptop out in Sep '09. And, lesser-known companies had them before that.
I've been looking at laptops to replace my desktop for months, since the summer. I don't recall Dell having a laptop that far back. I know that they did in like Nov. They were the ONLY company to do so. HP, Sony Toshiba, did not.

The i3 and i5 chips you mention did not come around for makers until just a few weeks ago. And then though they have them on their websites, it's taking weeks for them to get them out.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

wsj = haters.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
To me, the best early indicators are the market reaction and the tech press reaction. CNET was pretty negative yesterday and the big Engadget editorial that was linked previously was especially eye-opening. I listen to their podcast and they usually lean heavily in Apple's favor.

My take is closest to that of Darren on Engadget - they should have marketed this as an e-book reader that can do more. It compares well with the Kindle (assuming the back-lighting doesn't strain your eyes which is a big question mark. e-ink is ugly, but it's really easy to read!). Trying to call it a Netbook killer when it can't even multitask is a big mistake.
There's not too much that you can multi-task with on a netbook. Many that have bought them are pissed.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

I've been looking at laptops to replace my desktop for months, since the summer. I don't recall Dell having a laptop that far back. I know that they did in like Nov. They were the ONLY company to do so. HP, Sony Toshiba, did not.

The i3 and i5 chips you mention did not come around for makers until just a few weeks ago. And then though they have them on their websites, it's taking weeks for them to get them out.
The i3 and i5 are new, yes. But the (original) i7 has been around for a while. Scanning quickly, I'm seeing reports of laptop i7's as early as May '09.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Matt

A lot of people are going to regret dropping $500-$600 on this i-fad. The happy consumers are those like Davids mom. Simply those who can appreciate a larger screen to read the news, email, and apps/games. A blown up iphone/itouch without the phone or camera.
IMO they've really limited the market to those of us who dont want a gimped product. What a disappointment.

-no flash (not that big of a deal i guess)
-no backround process / limited multitasking 1app at a time
-no phone
-no camera
-no USB or HDMI
-no gps on the non 3g model
-no OSX
whats the point!?

note: I didn't read through any of the previous pages.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Secret Agent

bingo. Whats more enjoyable...a 5 pound laptop on your legs generating heat...or a 1.5 pound tablet that do web and email just as easily when I'm vegging in from of the TV.

BUT....It can be a do all text book for college students. It can be a patient data device/medical device in hospitals.

Hell, they even say that in their vid...the device changes to your needs.

The iPad is niche device for a niche market. But it can fill a hell of a lot of niches because of the apps. Once everyone saw exactly what could come of the iphone BECAUSE of the app store and the crazy apps coming out, they decided to take it to the next level.

For as "simple" of a step as the ipad is (a big ipod touch)..its an easy to use device that doesnt require crazy computer literacy to work. you simply run the app and go.

I think people are being way to short sighted because are simply looking at the device as big ipod.

I'm betting it will become much more than that.
Like I said earlier, Steve's pulled the ultimate flip flop here. Everyone thought he was trying to develop a netbook killer or change the way we looked at computers when in fact he was never going there at all! That wasn't his goal. He was (is) targeting everyone that we can't see because they're all in our way when we want to talk about "computers".
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

There's not too much that you can multi-task with on a netbook. Many that have bought them are pissed.
the cheap netbooks, yes.

spend a little more than a loaded ipad and get this, you can surely multitask on this:

HP TM2T.. W7 64-bit, C2D 1.3GHz 800FSB, 3GB RAM, 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550, 250GB 7200rpm, 12.1" 1280x800 LED touch-screen, webcam, $1054.

$829 vs $1054... it's not a big difference. but tech-wise, it's a HUGE difference.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
nnInn

The i3 and i5 are new, yes. But the (original) i7 has been around for a while. Scanning quickly, I'm seeing reports of laptop i7's as early as May '09.
There's a lot of talk about the new i3 and i5 chips and laptops that have them as well, back in Sept and Oct. I read engadet everyday, that when I first heard about HP having these chipsets. But the companies didn't get them to sell until a few weeks ago.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Secret Agent

I disagree. The people that are bashing this thing are all computer geeks. These are exactly the kind of people they are NOT going after with this thing. Of course they're going to criticize this thing. It's not a computer, and they were all amped up to see one.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
nnInn

the cheap netbooks, yes.

spend a little more than a loaded ipad and get this, you can surely multitask on this:

HP TM2T.. W7 64-bit, C2D 1.3GHz 800FSB, 3GB RAM, 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550, 250GB 7200rpm, 12.1" 1280x800 LED touch-screen, webcam, $1054.

$829 vs $1054... it's not a big difference. but tech-wise, it's a HUGE difference.
That is not a netbook, it's a tablet laptop, my wife has the version before that. She wanted a smaller screen and could do what a laptop does. And you can get a pad for $499.
Senior Moderator

I disagree. The people that are bashing this thing are all computer geeks. These are exactly the kind of people they are NOT going after with this thing. Of course they're going to criticize this thing. It's not a computer, and they were all amped up to see one.
I'll agree on that. I'm a bonafide computer geek.
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
BUT I WANTED OSX ON MY IPADS..... /endrant
Senior Moderator

That is not a netbook, it's a tablet laptop, my wife has the version before that. She wanted a smaller screen and could do what a laptop does.
yea I know its not a netbook. its a smaller laptop. (12.1" screen).
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
The Third Ball

Trying to call it a Netbook killer when it can't even multitask is a big mistake.
My experience with netbooks is they are slow underpowered POSs with subpar screens that hurt your eyes and cramped keyboards they make your knuckles ache.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

My experience with netbooks is they are slow underpowered POSs with subpar screens that hurt your eyes and cramped keyboards they make your knuckles ache.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Secret Agent

the cheap netbooks, yes.

Damn people!! Stop comparing apples (heh heh) to oranges !!! You keep comparing this thing to netbooks and laptops and the inability of it to multi-task. It was never supposed to do that. This thing is not a netbook or a laptop. Stop comparing it to one. We were all wrong. We thought we were going to see a formula one race boat and he brought out a luxury sailboat instead.

fucking steve is gonna laugh all the way to the bank with this one. Probably already is.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Matt

well what are we supposed to compare it to?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Damn people!! Stop comparing apples (heh heh) to oranges !!! You keep comparing this thing to netbooks and laptops and the inability of it to multi-task. It was never supposed to do that. This thing is not a netbook or a laptop. Stop comparing it to one. We were all wrong. We thought we were going to see a formula one race boat and he brought out a luxury sailboat instead.

fucking steve is gonna laugh all the way to the bank with this one. Probably already is.
hey, I'm just going by $$. For $200 more, I'll buy that HP. That's all.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve Jobs himself compared it to a netbook. They both aim to fill the same gap, one that sits between the desktop and the smartphone.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
they've really limited the market to those of us who dont want a gimped product. What a disappointment.

-no flash (not that big of a deal i guess)
-no backround process / limited multitasking 1app at a time
-no phone
-no camera
-no USB or HDMI
-no gps on the non 3g model
-no OSX
whats the point!?
Funny how big a deal people are making HDMI. Unless you are sending a 1080P...P.....signal you do NOT need HDMI. And it has already been announced and posted in here that this tablet WILL ALLOW for video output to other sources.

It will also have a USB adapter.

The original Edge iphone did just fine without true GPS...the quasi GPS works great. My wife still uses it with her phone today.

Why does a device this size need a phone?

Multi-tasking...I'm sure this will eventually be addressed and included.

No camera, yeah a camera for vid conferencing would be cool....honestly how many of you vid conference all the time right now? Its it a really a make it or break it feature?

OSX...again, the OS is derived from OS X. But no its not a full functioning laptop/desktop OS.

Whats the point? There are tons of points, go back and read my last point on that. This device has the potential to be many things for many people. The key is the apps.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
The Third Ball

cute, but I do have real experience with netbooks. Spent a lot of time shopping them for my mother in law before just giving my old powerbook and getting myself a new laptop.

Yes, giving my mother in law a 6 year old Powerbook was better than every netbook I used.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Steve Jobs himself compared it to a netbook. They both aim to fill the same gap, one that sits between the desktop and the smartphone.
Compared it to a netbook. It was also compare to ebook readers.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
The Third Ball

What did you have to compare the iphone to when it was announced? nothing.

Soon, its other companies that will try and compare themselves to the pad.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

This thing is not a netbook or a laptop. Stop comparing it to one.
We weren't the ones that started the comparison. See the picture in the post above yours.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

The same could be said about the whole Tablet computer push almost 10 years ago (or the Newton as others said). Just because it fills a new niche doesn't mean that niche is in demand. Time will tell.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
The Third Ball

We weren't the ones that started the comparison. See the picture in the post above yours.
What do people use netbooks for?

Large amounts of computer processing? Making word docs and presentations?
Gaming?

No, people use netbooks as a cheap way to surf the net and check emails. So, yes, in this regard the pad does compare and spank the netbooks.

But it also does and can do way more than any netbook could dream of trying to do.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

What do people use netbooks for?
Watch a show on Hulu? Video chat? Listen to Pandora while you do something else? Can't do any of the above on the iPad.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Secret Agent

.....IMO they've really limited the market to those of us who dont want a gimped product. What a disappointment.....
You've got it backwards there bud. He's hitting a huge fucking market. And that market - the ones that don't want anything to do with a computer but want interwebz access - includes people like me that work on the damn things all day. The last thing I want to do when I get home is open a fucking computer. But do I want to check email or look for movie times? If I want to do that and I have a choice between booting up my computer or just walking over to this thing, which one do you think I'll do?

Do you get it yet? Wake up !!!!

Do you really think that 90% of the population are computer geeks that care about multi tasking and all that other crap? Nope. It's more like 10, maybe 20. It's that 80% to 90% that are being targeted by this thing. How do you call that a limited market?

And for the market he "is" targeting with this thing?

-no flash (not that big of a deal i guess) --- don't care
-no backround process / limited multitasking 1app at a time --- don't care
-no phone --- don't care
-no camera --- don't care
-no USB or HDMI --- don't care
-no gps on the non 3g model --- don't care
-no OSX --- don't care
whats the point!? --- don't care

I hate to blow smoke up anyones ass, but this may very well become a model for marketing classes. Make everyone think you're going after a particular market segment. Then at the last minute swing your guns 180 degrees in the other direction and fire!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
The Third Ball

The same could be said about the whole Tablet computer push almost 10 years ago (or the Newton as others said). Just because it fills a new niche doesn't mean that niche is in demand. Time will tell.
People bought kindles. Hospitals use computers in exams rooms. Students lug laptops to class to take notes.

How many people do you see hanging out at starbucks, panera, or other wifi spots just sitting there all day on their computers? Not sure about your location but in LA....more than you would ever want.

I'm sure there are people who downloaded the SDK for the pad yesterday that thinking of some amazing things for the pad no one has even dreamed of yet.

Imagine how much the app store opened up the iphone. Its the same thing, larger scale.

None of this was around when the newton existed.

The only thing remotely close back then was the visor handspring and all its various attachments.

Thing is software and technology has some a LONG way since then.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Secret Agent

Nothing. They've done it again. They've hit the market with a niche product. Well, almost. This thing is the internet in one hand. And that's all it was ever meant to be.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Matt

The blackberry.

I mentioned HDMI earlier because its a slim solution
I see where it has its value, as a couch browser with apps. Even when you narrow it down to just those two things, it cant do them at the same time.
Its a fashionable product that people will buy simply to buy (ifad). And if they did add all the features that i mentioned, then it would of been $1000+.
Im not bashing apple, because this is great for them. Just disappointed i guess.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
The Third Ball

Watch a show on Hulu? Video chat? Listen to Pandora while you do something else? Can't do any of the above on the iPad.
I dont know about pandora, havent loaded it. But I bet you can run itunes in the background. You can on the iphone....isnt that some form of multitasking....no....couldnt be....

People who buy this probably dont really use hulu they use the itunes store or load stuff off their home computer, or maybe hulu will upgrade to html5, who knows. The device isnt even out yet.

This wasn't designed purely as a stand alone device. It was still designed to sync with your laptop or desktop.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think anyone here thinks this thing won't sell.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Imagine how much the app store opened up the iphone. Its the same thing, larger scale.
This is one place where we agree. If this device takes off, the app store will be the main reason.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread