Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Tablet News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
For the people with the N-Trig pens (Lenovo Tablets) and the HTC Flyer, you need to check out Quill:

It has pressure sensitivity and a lot of other functions. Great app. It works on other Tablets as well but its really made for the Lenovo and HTC Flyer. Best of all, the app is free to sideload:

http://code.google.com/p/android-quill/downloads/list
Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Safety Car

Forgot to mention about Tablet Talk:

Been running it for a few hours now and I have to say its pretty awesome. It syncs your Texts and has an Incoming Call indicator onto your tablet via WiFi or Bluetooth. Very useful when you're surfing on your tablet and don't have your phone next to you. You can send texts using your cell number via the app without having to reach for your phone. Would be nice if it'd allow you to answer or make phone calls through the app. Maybe in a future update or Jelly Bean will be the answer to that?

https://market.android.com/details?i...LnRhYnRhbGsiXQ..
Old 02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

One last mention. If you guys are looking for an awesome document editing app, check out Kingsoft Office:

https://market.android.com/details?i...ZmaWNlX2VuZyJd

The interface is pretty great and it works pretty well all around. Best of all, its free. When you start it up, it asks if you want to be included in their statistics to improve the app. I said No and it hasn't bothered me about it since. Definitely check it out.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Starting to like my Tab 7 Plus more. I put some nice Go themes on, rooted it and its nice.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Safety Car

As expected, CM9 is going to be integrating Onskreen's Cornerstone for multitasking:

CyanogenMod - Yesterday 3:02 PM (edited) - Public
This needs work, but looks very promising

Edit: We should clarify, this is experimental, and not guaranteed to be mainlined into CM. If it is done, it needs to be done right and not break apps all over the market or be a nightmare to upkeep down the line.

sven daw originally shared this post:
cyanogenmod and cornerstone - android tablet multitasking

+Abhisek Devkota told me about cornerstone ( http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/ )
well, its pretty impressive, and easy to apply to our sources.

we will probably include this into cm9. it needs some polish, but the concept is just great.
Source: https://plus.google.com/117962666888...ts/jWb2VJi3KJT

Here it is running on the Touchpad alphas:

https://plus.google.com/107379115315...ts/fGEq1XiL7Zo
Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
so when is the new transformer coming out?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
Quick! Any recommendations for a good case for a galaxy tab 10.1 or a good keyboard? Does it work with bluetooth keyboards?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
so when is the new transformer coming out?

Unfortunately not till end of Quarter 2 or early Quarter 3 are the rumors I have been reading. Sucks because I was really looking to get a good thin and light tablet since I am actually using one pretty frequently but I am not really set on the current Transformer Prime.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Go Giants

Fuckin Samsung.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Quick! Any recommendations for a good case for a galaxy tab 10.1 or a good keyboard? Does it work with bluetooth keyboards?
Yes all bluetooth keyboards work. Or if you get the USB accessory, you can plug in a traditional USB keyboard. A good keyboard is the Logitech one:

http://www.logitech.com/keyboards/keyboard/devices/8232

The original version was compatible with both the iPad and Android tablets so I'm not sure what changed with the recent offerings. Something to do with dedicated buttons? If the ASUS Transformer didn't have its own dock that would've been the keyboard I would've gotten. Don't bother with the Samsung keyboard. I hear its crap.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Unfortunately not till end of Quarter 2 or early Quarter 3 are the rumors I have been reading. Sucks because I was really looking to get a good thin and light tablet since I am actually using one pretty frequently but I am not really set on the current Transformer Prime.
Ice Cream Sandwich on the original Transformer is awesome. I'm using the one built by Paul Burton and while it's still alpha, there is a noticeable performance difference from Honeycomb. ICS should've been what the tablet originally came with. Once CM9 becomes more or less official and the official ICS drops, I can see a whole lot more performance improvements. I would argue that if the original Transformer drops to around $200 it would be an awesome buy which is probably any time now. Most of the companies are probably waiting for the iPad 3 to drop before they start making their announcements to tweak their products accordingly but the upcoming Acer and ASUS tablets are supposedly going to have the 1920x1080 resolution.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM

So when this new transformer tablet drops, is the next one gonna be announced right after?

I was really thinking about the prime, but with the announcement of the new one and now the rumors on the iPad 3, I'm just gonna keep waiting
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yes all bluetooth keyboards work. Or if you get the USB accessory, you can plug in a traditional USB keyboard. A good keyboard is the Logitech one:

http://www.logitech.com/keyboards/keyboard/devices/8232

The original version was compatible with both the iPad and Android tablets so I'm not sure what changed with the recent offerings. Something to do with dedicated buttons? If the ASUS Transformer didn't have its own dock that would've been the keyboard I would've gotten. Don't bother with the Samsung keyboard. I hear its crap.
I recommended the Samsung bluetooth keyboard case. Looks good

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

So when this new transformer tablet drops, is the next one gonna be announced right after?

I was really thinking about the prime, but with the announcement of the new one and now the rumors on the iPad 3, I'm just gonna keep waiting
Not really sure if that's a totally bad thing. New devices being announced are great as they push tech forward. If they didn't we'd still be rocking brick phones and computers. For now, just get one and stick to it as it'll last you a good while for your needs any way or you'll just keep waiting. When the Prime dropped, I had no regrets in getting my Transformer (and still don't even though Tegra 3 looks great) and trust me I have a big itch for the new gadgets for as long as I can remember. The reason that's so is most of the stuff out there doesn't really push the hardware to its limit yet. The new stuff adds some extra graphics to games I don't play so it doesn't even bother me.

My Transformer has practically replaced my laptop at the moment for school and every day usage. I only power up my laptop maybe once a week now to keep it up to date with Windows updates. lol. The choices really come down to what usage you have for the tablet. If you need the apps/games then get the iPad. If you want something more customizable and more work oriented with a budget, then get an Android tablet.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Sanest Florida Man

^You gonna get a Windows 8 Tablet when they come out?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
^You gonna get a Windows 8 Tablet when they come out?
I'll see what it brings when it drops. The performance boost looks great but I'm not totally sold on Metro yet. Not really sure what it is. I hope Microsoft makes it removable although that would defeat the whole purpose of Windows 8 in a way. Microsoft has a very good chance in combining all their services with the drop so I'm looking forward to what they'll do.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Not really sure if that's a totally bad thing. New devices being announced are great as they push tech forward. If they didn't we'd still be rocking brick phones and computers. For now, just get one and stick to it as it'll last you a good while for your needs any way or you'll just keep waiting. When the Prime dropped, I had no regrets in getting my Transformer (and still don't even though Tegra 3 looks great) and trust me I have a big itch for the new gadgets for as long as I can remember. The reason that's so is most of the stuff out there doesn't really push the hardware to its limit yet. The new stuff adds some extra graphics to games I don't play so it doesn't even bother me.

My Transformer has practically replaced my laptop at the moment for school and every day usage. I only power up my laptop maybe once a week now to keep it up to date with Windows updates. lol. The choices really come down to what usage you have for the tablet. If you need the apps/games then get the iPad. If you want something more customizable and more work oriented with a budget, then get an Android tablet.
Yes I know, but the prime wasn't even out or just came out and they already had specs for the next one already.. I mean damn that's quick..
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Safety Car

Yes I know, but the prime wasn't even out or just came out and they already had specs for the next one already.. I mean damn that's quick..
It was the same when the Transformer and Tegra 2 came out...Tegra 3 was shown before the Xoom even came out.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM

I just find it annoying, makes me want to wait for the newest thing

At least give me like 2-3 months and then announce something

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

The #Android ICS update v9.2.1.11 for the @ASUS Transformer TF101 is ready! Rolling out over the next few days
https://twitter.com/#!/ASUS/status/172703668611715074

Hopefully they release their sources in a timely manner so PaulBurton and the other devs can make it even better. Can't wait. The ICS Alpha PaulBurton made works pretty well as it is already.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

ASUS Transformer rooted ICS official:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1514658

Time to play. The devs should have a custom ROM soon enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

ASUS MWC teasers most likely for the Padfone tablet with higher res:

Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I just find it annoying, makes me want to wait for the newest thing

At least give me like 2-3 months and then announce something

I agree. Companies are not maximizing the potential of the devices they're releasing. Its all about "the latest and greatest". Oh well, at least you dont have to wait 3 years to get a great deal on yesterday's tablet..
Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whudini3000
I agree. Companies are not maximizing the potential of the devices they're releasing. Its all about "the latest and greatest". Oh well, at least you dont have to wait 3 years to get a great deal on yesterday's tablet..
Which is why I don't usually buy my stuff at retail price plus the XDA community allows me to be somewhat up to date with recent offerings.

Been playing with the ASUS Transformer official ICS update that dropped yesterday and the overall performance of the tablet is much improved. I was having issues with USB mount working but I think flashing another OTA update fixed it as I haven't had the problem since and actually made my tablet faster (not sure why. It may have filled in some missing files or something from the first flash).

Face Unlock is still missing but one of the devs seems to have figured out why and should be fixed soon enough. Besides those issues, I really haven't had any major problems. Battery life seems to be less than Honeycomb but that may be due to the custom kernel I was using before. I'm still waiting for a barebones ICS build which should improve it even more as it is and some new kernels to overclock it and improve battery life some. I hope ASUS drops that kernel source soon so the devs can get to work in speeding it up some more. Also, CM9 is back on for the Transformer so that's always good news.

Source: http://androidroot.mobi/2012/02/24/a...back-on-track/

Bad news is that the multitasking Onskreen's Cornerstone may not be implemented on any CM builds. The CM Team was sorta threatened by an Android dev to be banned from using the market if they did incorporate it and it broke compatibility with a lot of apps it seems. I'm sure some custom ROMs will implement it but CM won't be doing it any time soon as work on it has stopped.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Which is why I don't usually buy my stuff at retail price plus the XDA community allows me to be somewhat up to date with recent offerings.

Been playing with the ASUS Transformer official ICS update that dropped yesterday and the overall performance of the tablet is much improved. I was having issues with USB mount working but I think flashing another OTA update fixed it as I haven't had the problem since and actually made my tablet faster (not sure why. It may have filled in some missing files or something from the first flash).

Face Unlock is still missing but one of the devs seems to have figured out why and should be fixed soon enough. Besides those issues, I really haven't had any major problems. Battery life seems to be less than Honeycomb but that may be due to the custom kernel I was using before. I'm still waiting for a barebones ICS build which should improve it even more as it is and some new kernels to overclock it and improve battery life some. I hope ASUS drops that kernel source soon so the devs can get to work in speeding it up some more. Also, CM9 is back on for the Transformer so that's always good news.

Source: http://androidroot.mobi/2012/02/24/a...back-on-track/

Bad news is that the multitasking Onskreen's Cornerstone may not be implemented on any CM builds. The CM Team was sorta threatened by an Android dev to be banned from using the market if they did incorporate it and it broke compatibility with a lot of apps it seems. I'm sure some custom ROMs will implement it but CM won't be doing it any time soon as work on it has stopped.
whoa
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Gnufabio released his Revolver Beta ICS build with Face Unlock fixed. I must say Face Unlock on a tablet works quite well. I don't use it on my Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S but on my Transformer it makes sense and it works very well and very quickly. I did manage to unlock it with a picture I had in my Nexus gallery but eh not really concerned. Its a lot more secure than the slide unlock I normally use on my current devices. The only bug I've noticed so far is that a secondary/backup pattern or pin makes Panorama mode not work in the stock camera. Not sure why but luckily I don't really use the camera on my Transformer except for video calling.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

ASUS Padfone Preview:

Pretty cool feature at 1:41 although I wonder if you have to buy that separately. Wonder how much the tablet portion will cost since its basically a dock with touch capability.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ damn i like that....hits all the right buttons
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

that was pretty awesome
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Go Giants

A while back I was hoping Apple would do that with the Iphone, but then they realized people would buy both the phone and the pad. Bastards.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM

I really like this back button in ICS on my touchpad.

I could be in twitter, click on a link and it takes me to the browser. When I'm done reading, I click the back button and it closes the tab and the browser and switches back to twitter.

Or I could be in the browser, click on a link that opens to a new tab. When I'm done there I click back and it closes the newly opened tab and takes me back to the starting tab.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM

For the browser, say I'm listening to groove shark and goto a different tab, is the music supposed to stop?

If I goto a different app, is the music supposed to stop?

Didn't do that IIRC in webOS except when the screen turns off.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

For the browser, say I'm listening to groove shark and goto a different tab, is the music supposed to stop?

If I goto a different app, is the music supposed to stop?

Didn't do that IIRC in webOS except when the screen turns off.
I think if it uses flash it will. Have you tried the Groove Shark App?

http://mobile.grooveshark.com/android

You have to side load it because Google removed the app from the Market but it is officially supported by Groove Shark.

Tiny Shark should also work:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Glnby50aW55Il0.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Don't you have to pay to use Grooveshark Mobile though?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 PM

yea, I dont want to pay for it.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
how are Acer tablets? My birthday is coming and my g/f wants some "ideas"... I kinda want to get the Galaxy Nexus, but now I'm thinking of getting a tablet instead... but I'd want something with ICS. Budget is $300-$350 maybe $400
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
how are Acer tablets? My birthday is coming and my g/f wants some "ideas"... I kinda want to get the Galaxy Nexus, but now I'm thinking of getting a tablet instead... but I'd want something with ICS. Budget is $300-$350 maybe $400
Acer tablets are decent. They have a lots of dev support at XDA mainly because they're cheap and come with all the USB ports, connections on the tablets so you can save money on not having to buy accessories. On the other tablets you would have to get an extra accessory for the extra ports. Build quality wise, Acer is not the best and uses a combination of plastic and rubber for their tablets. I suggest you actually play with one in store to see what they're like.

If you're going to pick up an Android tablet now, I suggest you get an ASUS Transformer (1st gen), Xoom, or a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Right now, the Xoom WiFi, and the ASUS Transformer (1st gen and Prime) are currently the only ones with ICS officially. ASUS is supposed to release a fix on the reboots during idle early next week but its still very usable. All the others including the Samsung have Cyanogenmod 9 builds which are still alpha at best. The ASUS Transformer 1st gens and the Xooms can be had for pretty cheap nowadays. Just try to make sure the ASUS you get doesn't have the locked bootloaders if you're planning on flashing custom ROMs (Models B6O and below).

With all of that said, if you don't need a tablet, get the Galaxy Nexus. I really think its worth the money especially if you're into running custom ROMs even when the S III drops mainly because it will get all the updates first. No matter how nice the specs are on the S III, update schedule will always be an issue and you can count on the Nexus in getting those updates first.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Acer tablets are decent. They have a lots of dev support at XDA mainly because they're cheap and come with all the USB ports, connections on the tablets so you can save money on not having to buy accessories. On the other tablets you would have to get an extra accessory for the extra ports. Build quality wise, Acer is not the best and uses a combination of plastic and rubber for their tablets. I suggest you actually play with one in store to see what they're like.

If you're going to pick up an Android tablet now, I suggest you get an ASUS Transformer (1st gen), Xoom, or a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Right now, the Xoom WiFi, and the ASUS Transformer (1st gen and Prime) are currently the only ones with ICS officially. ASUS is supposed to release a fix on the reboots during idle early next week but its still very usable. All the others including the Samsung have Cyanogenmod 9 builds which are still alpha at best. The ASUS Transformer 1st gens and the Xooms can be had for pretty cheap nowadays. Just try to make sure the ASUS you get doesn't have the locked bootloaders if you're planning on flashing custom ROMs (Models B6O and below).

With all of that said, if you don't need a tablet, get the Galaxy Nexus. I really think its worth the money especially if you're into running custom ROMs even when the S III drops mainly because it will get all the updates first. No matter how nice the specs are on the S III, update schedule will always be an issue and you can count on the Nexus in getting those updates first.
hmmmm now I'm torn... I currently have the HTC Sensation, and while it was a big upgrade from Nexus ONE... that Galaxy Nexus' screen is just too nice. But I'm not into the whole custom stuff... (only because I don't know how to do that stuff ) I also like the fact that the Galaxy Nexus can be used here in Canada and when I come home to visit, I can use it on AT&T...

decisions decisions... I think I'm going to go with the Galaxy Nexus... I think later this year there are a bunch of quad core, ICS, cheaper 7" 1280x800 tablets coming out anyway... I think in the $200-$250 range. I actually would prefer a 7" screen over a 10" anyway.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Well it looks like the HTC Sensation is getting ICS in the Nordic countries:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1536630

XDA will probably port that to the other versions of the phone in the next couple of hours if it hasn't been done already. Google is supposedly releasing a Nexus tablet made by ASUS that will be 7" around May. I guess just wait unless you really need a tablet.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I just bought the ASUS slider....wow...this thing is impressive

Now if I only knew how to use everything it does

Quick Reply: Android: Tablet News and Discussion Thread