Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
OK NSX crew... can anyone help me get rid of this STUPID button push to answer calls ... OMG Im so tired of the phone asking me to push 1 to answer a call... WTH is this madness?
umm never happened to me...

Wait are you using google voice and do you have a phone number?? I think thats one of the features of google voice, maybe no clue honestly.

Last edited by speedemon90; 08-30-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Developing it?
yup, well I may have to look into this depending if we have time or what our project is for senior design.

We are thinking of building some biosensor that can hook up to your phone to read and analyze data and show you the results.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
umm never happened to me...

Wait are you using google voice and do you have a phone number?? I think thats one of the features of google voice, maybe no clue honestly.

Bro.. I think your rite.. my other phone was rooted soooo long... I had forgotten about that... it was crap a while back. Same now!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
yup, well I may have to look into this depending if we have time or what our project is for senior design.

We are thinking of building some biosensor that can hook up to your phone to read and analyze data and show you the results.
You're gonna use Eclipse, I presume?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
You're gonna use Eclipse, I presume?
I have no clue what that is.

Mind elaborating??

ONly thing i found right now is developers.android.com and they seem to have a lot of tutorials as well as the SDK. I'll probably be looking there if we get into making an app
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Check out this site for a tutorial and they do live streams I think once a week where you can ask questions as well.

http://www.codinggreenrobots.com/episodes/

Also check out this site for more links:

http://knol.google.com/k/android-res...n-development#

I wish I knew more about programming but I don't. On another note, I won't be posting as much cause school is getting in the way. I'm gonna be in lurking mode for a month or so. If anyone gets the Galaxy S II that's coming out in the the next couple of days, I'd like to hear how it is.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 PM

took off the GV... no more dummy calls... dang!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I have no clue what that is.

Mind elaborating??

ONly thing i found right now is developers.android.com and they seem to have a lot of tutorials as well as the SDK. I'll probably be looking there if we get into making an app
Have you programmed in Java yet? Cause Eclipse is well known for Java programmers. Eclipse is a compiler just like Visual Studio, Netbeans, etc. You don't have to use Eclipse to program, but Google has incorporated a lot of addons into Eclipse to stream line the whole development process.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Check out this tablet and let me know what yall think... Hey Mike... thinking of using one like this in clinic and so is a friend... ?????

Thanks yall! R

http://www.sell.com/2684VN
Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Check out this tablet and let me know what yall think... Hey Mike... thinking of using one like this in clinic and so is a friend... ?????

Thanks yall! R

http://www.sell.com/2684VN

Hmm...specs look okay but that resistive screen is having me say stay away. It'll be like the first windows mobile smartphones with the stylus to use the screen, etc. The problem with generic tablets like the one you posted is that it probably will never be updated ever so if there ever was a new app that came out that required Gingerbread and above, the tablet just becomes a paper weight. If you are trying to go the cheaper route, take a look at which ones XDA supports such as the Viewsonic gTablet or even a used Galaxy Tab 7" WiFi (both of which will most likely have price drops by Black Friday or check eBay you might find it for real cheap).

Lenovo just announced that they're going to be releasing a $199 7 inch Gingerbread tablet which I think has excellent specs for the money:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23932...ad_tablet.html

Personally, I think tablets, both iPads and Android, for use in a clinical setting is at too early of a stage for me to recommend on a daily basis. I'm not exactly sure what you'll be using it for but if its for note chart taking, then I'd advise against it. I researched a few weeks ago regarding EHR because of the whole EHR transition that's kicking into effect and right now the cost benefit ratio just isn't there yet. There are only a few EHR software that integrate with an iPad (not entirely sure about Android) but the learning curve was fairly high, functionalities were pretty limited and security becomes a very big issue if someone were to steal the tablet.

If you are looking into getting a tablet, I suggest you get a real PC tablet instead, or wait until there's actually software, both on Android and the iPad, that's more benefitial in a clinical setting. Otherwise, the Android and iOS tablets are just toys. They're great for using as a desk reference instead of carrying PDRs or looking up articles but not so much for data entry at the moment.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Hmm...specs look okay but that resistive screen is having me say stay away. It'll be like the first windows mobile smartphones with the stylus to use the screen, etc. The problem with generic tablets like the one you posted is that it probably will never be updated ever so if there ever was a new app that came out that required Gingerbread and above, the tablet just becomes a paper weight. If you are trying to go the cheaper route, take a look at which ones XDA supports such as the Viewsonic gTablet or even a used Galaxy Tab 7" WiFi (both of which will most likely have price drops by Black Friday or check eBay you might find it for real cheap).

Lenovo just announced that they're going to be releasing a $199 7 inch Gingerbread tablet which I think has excellent specs for the money:

Personally, I think tablets, both iPads and Android, for use in a clinical setting is at too early of a stage for me to recommend on a daily basis. I'm not exactly sure what you'll be using it for but if its for note chart taking, then I'd advise against it. I researched a few weeks ago regarding EHR because of the whole EHR transition that's kicking into effect and right now the cost benefit ratio just isn't there yet. There are only a few EHR software that integrate with an iPad (not entirely sure about Android) but the learning curve was fairly high, functionalities were pretty limited and security becomes a very big issue if someone were to steal the tablet.

If you are looking into getting a tablet, I suggest you get a real PC tablet instead, or wait until there's actually software, both on Android and the iPad, that's more benefitial in a clinical setting. Otherwise, the Android and iOS tablets are just toys. They're great for using as a desk reference instead of carrying PDRs or looking up articles but not so much for data entry at the moment.

Thanks mang!
Im just looking for something to take with me as a bridge from my phone and my dell touch screen laptop (that has our clinic EHR on it)... wifi internet, taking and reviewing pictures of my patients before and after procedures... this is the kinda use I need... so a low baller tablet is all I need for now
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM

....an early windows style screen would grate my nerves for sure!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts

Agreed. I can't justify yet getting an iPad while a full functioning laptop has been teasing under $300 at times. Sure the size advantage is one thing but it's not like I'm at Starbucks all day. I bet most people use their tablets at home anyways.

As for that Lenovo the $199 is not coming to the US. We're only getting the 16GB and 32GB for $250 and $300. So even though you would take the 8GB and add an SD card we don't get that benefit in America.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

if you want something cheap wait for the Amazons tablet??
Old 09-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
If anyone is looking at sprint android phones/tablets, PM me if you would like an employee SERO discount. I was going to get the HTC EVO View tablet tonight for $235 shipped w/ 2 year....but after reading about the super spotty wimax and week(s) of outages here...I cancelled.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Bionic tomorrow. Note the funnah verizon tried to make in the pic(task #2).

http://news.vzw.com/images/H4%20web%20bionic.jpg
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnes-%26-N...ht_2556wt_1344

not a bad price, and runs honeycomb with the hack
Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
boost 3G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picked up the Bionic since i was still using the OG droid...pretty sweet phone. will prob root in the near future
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by trojanman10984
picked up the Bionic since i was still using the OG droid...pretty sweet phone. will prob root in the near future
Nice

You should elaborate when you get a chance
Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Should I trade my Atrix for the upcoming Galaxy S 2 on AT&T?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Do it if you can!

Never been a big fan of the atrix.

Mostly I dont like their motoblur on it.

But I'd play with the Samsung GSII before you trade. Its you that has to like it.

Anyone hear anything about the HTC sensation on T-mobile, uncle is asking me if its a good phone. Have any of you had experience with it?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Goodbye.

I actually prefer the nonmotoblur motoblur new UI on the gingerbread updated Atrix over Samsung's Touchwiz.

I'm waiting for it to actually be in stores to test it out as I think I'll really miss having a fingerprint reader to unlock my phone with one easy swoop also, 4inch seems the perfect size.

HTC Sensation is okay.....nothing great, but it does have ROMs for it, but don't know if your uncle would do that. T-Mo is coming out with its variation of the SGS2, but with a different processor.
I personally do not like HTC products, but the Sensation is a decent phone. Haven't heard that much buzz/hype/praise for it.......or any complains about it too, so it's really personal preference.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Waiting for my droid 3 to get mailed. Back ordered right now Verizon site is saying will ship by 9/19

Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea my uncle wont be putting custom ROMs on there.

I dont think he will be buying the samsung GSII because he's buying it off contract I believe and that would be to expensive.

So it looks like other than the NS, T-mobiles best phones currently is G2x and HTC sensation right? Which would you guys take. I'll see if he would want the GSII
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Waiting for my droid 3 to get mailed. Back ordered right now Verizon site is saying will ship by 9/19

That phone seriously was underestimated. I don't think ANYONE would have thought that phone would be selling out like crazy. Never underestimate the power of physical qwerty keyboards, eh?

Yea my uncle wont be putting custom ROMs on there.

I dont think he will be buying the samsung GSII because he's buying it off contract I believe and that would be to expensive.

So it looks like other than the NS, T-mobiles best phones currently is G2x and HTC sensation right? Which would you guys take. I'll see if he would want the GSII
Gun to my head, I would pick the HTC Sensation out of those 2 choices, but really, if he can't wait and money is an issue, go with the "simple" NxS.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Should I trade my Atrix for the upcoming Galaxy S 2 on AT&T?
Yes. Do it!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/18

The AT&T and Sprint version will be using the same Exynos Processor found in the international version. The T-Mobile version will be using a different processor and I think its a dumb move. I'm sure the ROMs being made for the international Galaxy S will work almost directly for the US versions.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Drifting

my boss walks in my office this morning and asks if i want the bionic. Needless to say I just ordered mine this morning. should be here tomorrow I'm coming from the OG as well.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

I was going to get the bionic, but honestly I didn't want to pay 350-400 for the phone, plus i'm afraid of all touch keypad haven't had one in a while, and when I did I hated it. My BB shit crapped on me and thank god Verizon lets you upgrade 20 months instead of 24. Plus I got the Droid 3 for a good deal with some accessories something like 200 flat out the door

Plus I'm paying for my wedding so 400 for a phone right now would have been a no-no
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Goodbye.

Yes. Do it!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/s...t-redefined/18

The AT&T and Sprint version will be using the same Exynos Processor found in the international version. The T-Mobile version will be using a different processor and I think its a dumb move. I'm sure the ROMs being made for the international Galaxy S will work almost directly for the US versions.
yeah......we'll see. right now leaning towards no cause I do love my fingerprint reader/scanner/unlock and the timely updates.

Originally Posted by rza49311
my boss walks in my office this morning and asks if i want the bionic. Needless to say I just ordered mine this morning. should be here tomorrow I'm coming from the OG as well.
what the what?!!?! your boss just gives you free stuff like that??
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Fuck yes

my mother in law said the Droid 3 is out her house, thats exactly why I shipped it there because I knew I wouldn't be home to sign for it.

Can't wait to leave work to play with it.

throw my BB on the ground, drive over it which one. What ever it will be I'll post a video
Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm still rocking the original Droid. I hate it. Upgrade in December. CAN'T WAIT!!! I hate that thing. I get a message weekly that says I can't perform a function or receive a text because I don't have enough memory. Freaking SUCKS!!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PrissyJayne
I'm still rocking the original Droid. I hate it. Upgrade in December. CAN'T WAIT!!! I hate that thing. I get a message weekly that says I can't perform a function or receive a text because I don't have enough memory. Freaking SUCKS!!!!
Learn to root it and put on a custom ROM. Just watch some YouTube vids on how to do it. It'll seriously feel like a different phone. I believe they have Gingerbread available for it on XDA since Motorola stopped updating it a while back.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=671
Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Well it looks like the T-Mobile's Galaxy S II will have a 1.5 GHz dual core Snapdragon. So it'll technically be faster than the other versions. Downside will be the support from XDA since its a whole different processor:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09...ports-twitter/

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Well it looks like the T-Mobile's Galaxy S II will have a 1.5 GHz dual core Snapdragon. So it'll technically be faster than the other versions. Downside will be the support from XDA since its a whole different processor:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09...ports-twitter/
I swear im getting old, I can't handle anything faster than my current 1.2ghz. Anything else, I will have a case of epilepsy
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Goodbye.

I think the 1.2ghz Exynos processor will still be just as good as Qualcomm's 1.5Ghz.

Don't forget that Samsung has a 1.5Ghz Exynos processor in their SGS2 LTE version phones already.

Sometimes, I wish I would just not know about smartphone updates and just be happy and surprised every few years when I go to get a new phone because the old one crapped out.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the bionic. I must say this thing is amazing. Still needs a root tho. Way to much bloatware. Hands down better the. My old droid x.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Goodbye.

root is already capable lol
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster

what the what?!!?! your boss just gives you free stuff like that??
Pretty much, I'm in the IT department and I'm the resident gadget guy. He said if I like it, he'll get one also.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PrissyJayne

Jayne are you on a 2 year contract? Go to verizon they should let you upgrade 20 months instead of 24.

Mine was up December 13th and I just upgraded.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

Anyway loving my Droid 3 still havent figured everything out takes some time but I will get there..

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread