Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
does AT&T still subsidize handsets?
maybe why he wants to stick with his plan?

you're right tho, google has the financing option now, something like 40 bucks a month
Hmmmm.. Wasn't aware of that.

Yeah, that's why I was saying that one was out. Can't get it directly through AT&T.

I will say the one thing I do NOT like about the google phone is that the fingerprint reader/power button is on the back.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
i enjoy the fingerprint reader on the bacK!!!
its a very natural place to unlock your phone. as soon as i pick up the phone, its unlocked.

it just feels very natural. like I dont even use the power button to unlock the phone any more
Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

i enjoy the fingerprint reader on the bacK!!!
its a very natural place to unlock your phone. as soon as i pick up the phone, its unlocked.

it just feels very natural. like I dont even use the power button to unlock the phone any more

I used to think that way too. But my phone sits on my desk all day long, so if I want to look at the screen, I would have to pick up the device to turn it on. The the G4, at least it has knock to wake (when it works anyways).

That said, I too enjoy the power button on the back. But with no way of turning on the phone without picking it up, kind of sucks.

I might just pick up the Note 7 and hope it catches fire while charging at the house.. Might fix a separate problem, so long as we all get out safe. Buy an old house they said, it will be fun they said... But I digress.

Last edited by SwervinCL; 10-07-2016 at 11:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SwervinCL:
Costco (10-10-2016), Mizouse (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i dont like how thin phones have gotten. it's not comfortable in hand.

like, lets throw out ergonomics and just focus on design.
fuck you phone designers

that is what she said
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
that is what she said
What the hell is wrong with your penis???
Mizouse (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

too big. duh.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
justnspace (10-07-2016), Mizouse (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Old 10-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

that is NOT she said
too big. duh.
ftfy
Old 10-08-2016, 11:43 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Wow. Another replacement Note 7 caught on fire.

Farmington Teenager: Replacement for Recalled Samsung Phone Melted in Hand KSTP.com

Farmington Teenager: Replacement for Recalled Samsung Phone Melted in Hand

October 08, 2016

A teenager in Farmington says her replacement Samsung smartphone melted in her hand, raising more questions about a massive worldwide recall that was supposed to address fire hazards and safety concerns.Thirteen-year-old Abby Zuis says she felt a “weird, burning sensation” in her thumb while holding her Galaxy Note 7 Friday afternoon. The phone, which has significant smoke damage and burn marks, melted the protective cover.

]Zuis says she suffered only a minor burn to her thumb. “It felt like pins and needles except a lot more intense,” she said.Andrew Zuis, Abby’s father, says the phone is a replacement for the Galaxy Note 7 that was recalled last month.

He provided 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS with receipts showing they originally purchased the Galaxy Note 7 in August and then exchanged it on September 21 after Samsung announced it was recalling 2.5-million Note 7 phones because of problems with batteries overheating and catching fire.

In a statement released to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, a Samsung spokesperson said "We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we are engaged with the Zuis family to ensure we are doing everything we can for them and their daughter.” The spokesperson confirmed the matter is under investigation.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:55 AM
_

Another. Or should I say the 1st.... before the one above involving the 13 yr old and the one on the plane before that.

3 in one week.

Nicholasville man injured by replacement Samsung phone

Nicholasville man injured by replacement Samsung phone

Oct 08, 2016

Around 4:00a.m. Tuesday, Michael Klering says he and his wife woke up to a hissing sound in their bedroom.

Klering says when he opened his eyes, he saw his bedroom was filled with smoke.

Klering said he had only had his replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 for a little more than a week before it caught fire.

“The phone is supposed to be the replacement, so you would have thought it would be safe. It wasn’t plugged in. It wasn’t anything, it was just sitting there,” Klering said.

Later in the day Tuesday, Klering said he started feeling sick, so he went to the Emergency Room.

“I was vomiting black so it was very scary. It was a lot of black stuff and it didn’t look right,” Klering said.

Klering provided WKYT with his hospital records that stated he was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. A Nicholasville Fire Department report was also taken after the hospital called the fire department to notify them that Klering suffered from smoke inhalation.

Klering says Samsung also wanted possession of his device but he refused to give it up. Klering says the company did pay for him to have it x-rayed.

Klering says he felt Samsung was helping him, until he got a text message from a Samsung representative that was not intended to go to him.

That message read:

Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it
Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
What a fucking disaster.

Samsung 'pauses Note 7 production', say media reports - BBC News

Smartphone giant Samsung has reportedly stopped production of its Note 7 phone amid claims that replacement devices are still at risk of catching fire.

News agencies reported Samsung had temporarily halted production after talks with safety regulators.

Samsung told the BBC it was "adjusting the production schedule to ensure quality and safety matters".

The company has been forced to issue new models of the smartphone following complaints of faulty batteries.

It issued a recall of the Galaxy Note 7 in September and later assured customers that the fixed devices were safe.

But there have now been several reports of replacement phones starting to emit smoke.

'No longer exchanging'

In a further blow, two US mobile networks have stopped replacing or selling the phone.

The AT&T and T-Mobile networks said they would no longer replace the devices in the US, while the latter said it would halt all sales of the phone.

"While Samsung investigates multiple reports of issues, T-Mobile is temporarily suspending all sales of the new Note 7 and exchanges for replacement Note 7 devices," T-Mobile said on its website.Image copyrightBRIAN GREENImage captionThis Samsung phone led to a flight being evacuated

Meanwhile, AT&T said: "We're no longer exchanging new Note 7s at this time, pending further investigation of these reported incidents." It advised customers to exchange them for other devices.

Manufacturing error

Samsung said in a statement last month that the issue of overheating was caused by a "rare" manufacturing error that resulted in the battery's "anode-to-cathode [negative and positive electrodes]" coming into contact.

But last week, a domestic flight in the US was evacuated after a replacement Note 7 started emitting smoke in the cabin. And a man in Kentucky reportedly woke up to a bedroom full of smoke from a replaced Note 7.

In an update on Monday, Samsung said it understood the concerns of carriers and consumers about the newly released replacement Note 7 devices.

"We continue to move quickly to investigate the reported case to determine the cause and will share findings as soon as possible," Samsung said.

"If we conclude a product safety issue exists, we will work with the CPSC (US Consumer Product Safety Commission) to take immediate steps to address the situation."

Shares in Samsung Electronics closed down 1.5% in Seoul.

Brand damage

Eric Schiffer, a brand strategy expert at Reputation Management Consultants, said the company needed to take action to limit the harm to its image.

"If the Note 7 is allowed to continue, it could lead to the single greatest act of brand self-destruction in the history of modern technology," he said.

"Samsung needs to take a giant writedown and cast the Note 7 to the engineering hall of shame next to the Ford Pinto."

In 1977, the Pinto was the subject of a then-record US recall to address safety concerns.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:17 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
Really interested with the Pixel. Waiting to read some reviews on it.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Went to Tmobile to pre order the V20 without seeing or touching it

half way through the paperwork, the employee told me.. "oh it won't allow me to order it"

and you didn't tell me this 30 minutes ago because......???

have to try again in 2 weeks.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:53 PM
_

Originally Posted by Doom878
Gets worse...

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...on-takes-place

Samsung Will Ask All Global Partners to Stop Sales and Exchanges of Galaxy Note7 while Further Investigation Takes Place

October 11, 2016

We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.

We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:26 AM

good. no one liked their skin over lays and tizen.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Team Owner

Touchwiz. Tizen is the watch OS. Both suck
Old 10-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
This could help Pixel sales for Google. Hopefully it does now that the Note is cancelled.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:18 AM
_

Note 7

Samsung to Permanently Discontinue Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone - WSJ

Samsung to Permanently Discontinue Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone

SEOUL— Samsung Electronics Co. said Tuesday that it would permanently discontinue production and sales of its embattled Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, pulling the plug on a premium product whose botched recall has brought headaches to consumers and inflicted damage on the Samsung brand.

Samsung said in a filing with South Korean regulators that it would permanently cease production and sales of the device, following a string of reported incidents in which supposedly safe replacements of the premium smartphone overheated and in some cases caught fire.

The move comes on a day when investors wiped off about $17 billion from Samsung Electronic Co.’s market capitalization, as investors digested the possibility that the South Korean smartphone giant could discontinue the entire Galaxy Note series, more than a month after it launched its initial recall of the smartphone.

Samsung shares tumbled 8%, its biggest one-day decline in eight years, far outpacing the broader South Korean market’s 1.2% pullback, after Samsung told Galaxy Note 7 users world-wide to immediately switch off their devices Tuesday.

Earlier the company said it was asking all telecom carriers and retailers that sell the Note 7 globally to stop sales and exchanges of the device pending investigation into the latest incidents. Major U.S. carriers already had made that move on their own.

Consumers with either an original or a replacement Note 7 should power down and stop using the device, said Samsung.

As the recall has gone from bad to worse for the world’s largest manufacturer of smartphones by shipments and sales, stock analysts have begun tallying up the likely financial hit for Samsung.

Daniel Kim, a Seoul-based analyst for Macquarie, estimated that the potential losses to Samsung could reach 3.1 trillion Korean won ($2.8 billion) for the last three months of the year, which would be enough to wipe out the entire mobile division’s operating profits for the fourth quarter.

Mark Newman, an analyst for Sanford C. Bernstein in Hong Kong, argued that Samsung should even consider ditching the Galaxy Note series altogether, meaning no Galaxy Note 8 next year. The company also has its flagship Galaxy S series to fall back on, which outsells the Galaxy Note at a rate of roughly three to one.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 AM

Google to rule them all
Old 10-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I have at least three different Samsung NOTES at the house... WAS looking forward to another (actually TWO)... I have numerous tablets, other phones, two tv's( one brand new) and a new washer and dryer... all SammySon... they have the diversity to outlast this but stand to lose a 10+ billion dollar market share... whats better than a Note for us at this time... a _____________ ?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Google to rule them all
Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM
_

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I have . . . . a new washer and dryer... all SammySon...
They haven't exploded yet?

Reports of Samsung Washers 'Exploding' Prompts Company to Issue Safety Warning - Consumer Reports

Reports of Samsung Washers 'Exploding' Prompts Company to Issue Safety Warning

September 28, 2016

Samsung acknowledged Wednesday that some of its top-loading washers “pose a risk of personal injury or property damage,” the latest safety issue to hit the South Korean manufacturer in recent weeks.

Over a dozen consumer complaints about Samsung washers, some referring to “exploding” machines, prompted the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday, September 28, to issue a warning about certain top-loading machines made between March 2011 and April 2016. Only top-loaders are affected, not front-loading Samsung washers.

According to the complaints filed with the CPSC, the problem seems to occur during the spin cycle when some machines suddenly and sometimes violently break apart. In a statement, the agency said it is “actively and cooperatively working with Samsung to address safety issues.”

The problem with some top-loading Samsung washers comes less than two weeks after Samsung was forced to issue a massive recall of the Galaxy Note7 because of problems that can cause the battery to overheat and catch fire.

Neither the CPSC nor Samsung could provide Consumer Reports with model numbers of affected units at this time.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
DarkSithCL (10-11-2016), sho_nuff1997 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Last 2 Notes have been disasters. This year's went in flames...literally....and last year's had no expandable storage (which they added back on) and the stylus issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-branded the phablet.

I don't think Pixel takes much market share left by Sammy. Casuals have/had no idea that Google sold phones since you can't get Nexus/Pixel through all the carriers. I think a big amount will go to the S7 Edge, some to LG G5/V20, a few trickle to HTC, Moto and other Chinese brands. Of course some will go to Apple.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Team Owner

This is a good opportunity for other flagships to jump in. But LG is charging around $820 for its V20....... i know they are trying to take advantage of the situation but damn $820???? "Who do they think they are" came to mind....
DarkSithCL (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:41 PM

I would really like to find a affordable alternative to the 800+ dollar madness these phones have become... anyone have a +1 or know anyone who has one?

I have even thought about going back to an older handset ( new in the box) and root / jailbreak it ... so I could add what I wanted

When I started this thread some time back... that's what we did with our EVO's ...they were light, had a fairly big screen and did everything... now my phone is so big ( and relatively heavy), my wife carries it in here purse when we are going to be out for a while.. LOL

What happened?????
Old 10-11-2016, 01:43 PM

I need a briefcase to carry my phone
Old 10-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Unfortunately I have a damn washer that is part of that stupid recall. Thankfully it hasn't exploded yet.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
This could help Pixel sales for Google.
Yes, and now it will be even harder to get a Google phone upon launch!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Jesus if you're pricing an Android phone well over a similar iPhone you crazy.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I think the Pixel is a bit of a downgrade from the 6P. At this point, if I needed a new phone I might just go back to Apple. Thankfully I am very happy with the 6P.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

at this rate, Android as a whole is forcing me to jump ship.... i really dislike iphone.....
Old 10-11-2016, 11:07 PM
_

iPhone 7 Plus

LYppQjZ.jpg
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

so no one is safe now
Old 10-12-2016, 12:04 AM
_

Maybe it's a feature.

And Samsung copied it. It was available on iPhone 6 Plus first.

http://6abc.com/news/students-iphone...fire-/1534315/

Student's iPhone explodes in his back pocket, catches fire during class

October 01, 2016

MT. LAUREL, N.J. (WPVI) --
It was a scary scenario for Darin Hlavaty, a student at Rowan College at Burlington County, after he says his iPhone 6 Plus exploded in his back pocket, burning a hole in his jeans.

"I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg," said Hlavaty.

Hlavaty had just been reaching for a pen in his 9:30 a.m. physical science class.

"Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire," said Hlavaty.

"Out of nowhere, we heard a fizzing and a popping sound. Suddenly a great mass of smoke comes out from his pocket," said Rebecca Bookbinder, student.

Classmate Rebecca Bookbinder had been sitting nearby.

"Everyone was kind of like, 'What is that? What is that? And then we all realized that's his phone that combusted in the middle of class," said Bookbinder.

A school spokesperson confirmed a teacher called public safety for a report of a burning phone around 9:45 a.m.

A spokesperson from the college says when public safety arrived the fire was already out, but they could still smell the smoke. The students were moved to a different classroom for rest of the period.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 AM
Team Owner

maybe i should just stick with my proven old phone for now.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 AM

I cant wait for new battery tech! where are those silicone graphene batteries at?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:25 AM

If he is sitting in class and his phone is in his back pocket maybe that has something to do with it. Why would you sit on your phone in the first place.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Because hipster skinny jeans
Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Take it out of your pocket when you sit down. Common sense.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Take it out of your pocket when you sit down. Common sense.
hipsters don't have common sense

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread