Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Get at it TsXY or mike
Artem Russakovskii12:27 AM - Public
It's only midnight but I already lined up 9 stories for tomorrow, or whenever the writers wake up.

I'm kind of thinking of hiring a few more, with blogging experience, excellent grammar, an eye for detail, and passion for technology.

If you fit the bill and are really serious about committing to this, email with some writing samples and an introduction to jobs@androidpolice.com.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,777 Likes on 2,549 Posts
I am really a fan of the hardware of the HTC ONE. Definitely not sold on the software side though. I wish there was a good walk through of all of the new parts of Sense5. I am annoyed that it will not be on Verizon though. I think that is ridiculous and the fact they say they have the DNA instead is stupid. It is not the same phone as 16gb of storage is a poor excuse for a top tier phone.

I wasn't going to make a decision till both HTC and Samsung released their new phones anyways so I guess there is still hope it might come to Verizon in a few months hopefully.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Anybody going to get glass?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Get at it TsXY or mike
I'm in the wrong field.

SwiftKey 4 came out last night/today. If you bought SwiftKey before its a free upgrade. The beta is going to end soon so just uninstall the beta and install the real build.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Anybody going to get glass?
I wonder how much it'll retail for once its officially out. I'm guessing for most people it'll be out of reach for a few years. That's probably okay so it won't be an impulse buy and they can fix whatever issues will come up. Lol. I'm sure it'll be the future for computing but unless its cheap or gifted to me (), I think I'll just have to admire it from afar.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm guessing its going to be expensive, but then again, Google has surprised me in the past on how accessible (cost-wise) their products are.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I'm in the wrong field.

SwiftKey 4 came out last night/today. If you bought SwiftKey before its a free upgrade. The beta is going to end soon so just uninstall the beta and install the real build.
lol do it anyways! I'm not even remotely near that field, yet I somehow am writing for one site now (though lately they have just been using my ideas and not giving me even a bit credit )

Amazon appstore FINALLY updated their SwiftKey and it's still behind by version 0.0.0.002 lol at least I have Flow now.
I wonder how much it'll retail for once its officially out. I'm guessing for most people it'll be out of reach for a few years. That's probably okay so it won't be an impulse buy and they can fix whatever issues will come up. Lol. I'm sure it'll be the future for computing but unless its cheap or gifted to me (), I think I'll just have to admire it from afar.
At most, looks to be $1500 each.
We should group buy one pair and test it out haha

Writing this via 32inch screen is a bit ridiculous but awesome

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 02-20-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I'm guessing its going to be expensive, but then again, Google has surprised me in the past on how accessible (cost-wise) their products are.
there's an old link that said it's $1500 but then again, it's an old link,
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

yup 1500 for the developer preview. When it comes to market expect it to be cheaper as google will probably find some manufacture to make the things in more mass quantities.

It looks cool, can't wait till developers get their hands on it and we can start reading about personal experiences with it!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Goodbye.

Wouldn't it be cool if the PS4 looks exactly like the Nexus Qube?
I like Orbs
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

doubt it haha

wonder whats in store for the ps4 though.
I feel like the next xbox will blow it out of the water and I'd be happy with that as I'm a xbox person haha
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Goodbye.

doubt it haha

wonder whats in store for the ps4 though.
I feel like the next xbox will blow it out of the water and I'd be happy with that as I'm a xbox person haha
I'm and Xbox person too, but if the PS4 is really ridiculously awesome, I'll jump ship......even though I already have a few PS3s at home alongside the Xboxes :p

edit: well this sucks, current writing employer will not release my articles to be used in my "application" for Artem's ad lol. Might as well apply and see what happens....maybe AP will pay and treat me better.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 02-20-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
I shoot people

I wish you can buy 3rd party Sony controllers that look and feel exactly like the 360's That's one of the reasons why my PS3 pretty much only just played Blu Rays for me (oh, and the crappy live gaming experience I had).
Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I shoot people

oh gawd...seriously?

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/automee/
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm and Xbox person too, but if the PS4 is really ridiculously awesome, I'll jump ship......even though I already have a few PS3s at home alongside the Xboxes :p

edit: well this sucks, current writing employer will not release my articles to be used in my "application" for Artem's ad lol. Might as well apply and see what happens....maybe AP will pay and treat me better.
why so many!

if you get the job, I should get 1% of every paycheck Deal??
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by is300eater
I wish you can buy 3rd party Sony controllers that look and feel exactly like the 360's That's one of the reasons why my PS3 pretty much only just played Blu Rays for me (oh, and the crappy live gaming experience I had).
haha yea, 360 controllers are much better! At least the next gen xbox should play bluray.

Also for gaming experience, I like how ps3 people always say its free for them, but for some reason its just not as good for online gaming, can't put my hands on why, either.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Goodbye.

why so many!

if you get the job, I should get 1% of every paycheck Deal??
Sure.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

On another note, from the titles of articles it looks like HTC one is getting a lot of good press. Thats good, better competition never hurts.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Goodbye.

Unfortunately, all that marketing won't matter if they don't sell. It's like writing praise about the innovation of the Segway.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

I thought the HTC One X and its variants were pretty good phones. HTC just didn't market them at all so they never got any exposure. It didn't help that Samsung went on a marketing blitz and it paid off for them. Also, HTC had a bunch of missteps along the way (missed update timeframes) which left a lot of sour taste especially with the HTC Thunderbolt owners that didn't help. They just need to market the One more which they know they didn't do. It would also help if they start opening up their dev relations again. Its really what got them so popular in the past in much the same way the Galaxy phones when Samsung used to help the devs. If Samsung continues to shun the developers I can see them going the same way as HTC in the near future which would allow HTC to take over again if they play it right. Although Motorola and Sony are stepping it up in that aspect.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Goodbye.

I thought the HTC One X and its variants were pretty good phones. HTC just didn't market them at all so they never got any exposure. It didn't help that Samsung went on a marketing blitz and it paid off for them. Also, HTC had a bunch of missteps along the way (missed update timeframes) which left a lot of sour taste especially with the HTC Thunderbolt owners that didn't help. They just need to market the One more which they know they didn't do. It would also help if they start opening up their dev relations again. Its really what got them so popular in the past in much the same way the Galaxy phones when Samsung used to help the devs. If Samsung continues to shun the developers I can see them going the same way as HTC in the near future which would allow HTC to take over again if they play it right. Although Motorola and Sony are stepping it up in that aspect.
I actually disagree with you on the Samsung front. Regardless of them shunning the developers, the only way they would be in the position of HTC right now would be if Samsung totally dropped the ball and produced a terrible product. Developer friendly does not translate to profits and actual sales. Samsung's strategy was genius: get in on the small internet fan base, let them tout your product, learn how to do updates properly while refining their own UI, steal people away from other companies to create their own refinements and selling points, and then wait for the proper moment and spend the saved last 5 years of marketing budget in the span of 6 months. Win, and not have to care about anyone else except the common folk who actually buys the product for what it is and not for what they can tinker it to become.

Sadly for HTC, if they do not sell the One well, they won't ever get the chance to resurface on their own again. Motoogle, Sony, and LG all have bigger budgets and longer patience in time, to kick butt once again.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 02-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Samsung was in a very bad position (much similar to HTC's now) before they started embracing the developer community. The Behold II fiasco was where they somewhat turned things around prior to getting popular as they are now. The developer/modding community may be small but they have a big say especially now with the internet. They flooded Twitter and Facebook to boycott Samsung products. Before Samsung started cozying up with developers they were treading water in the Android world. It was only after they provided CyanogenMod developers free S II phones and creating dev relations promising to provide sources did they become popular. CyanogenMod being hired by them also helped boost confidence into Samsung phones. They probably would've failed greatly had they not done any of the above. Them getting sued by Apple also brought up demands as well by bringing their name to more households.

HTC was once also in the same position as Samsung is now up until the Nexus One. They had great dev relations with the people at XDA up until the Nexus One. I had an HTC Wizard phone back in the day and I remember getting asked about many times who HTC was. They were a nobody up until the Nexus One. After the Nexus One, they started clamming up their phones much more than before and the devs started to worry and feel betrayed by HTC. HTC failed to provide promised updates and instead of embracing the community that made them great, they kept locking them out. A lot of people stopped recommending their phones. I even stopped recommending them to friends and it didn't get any better with the One X. What we're seeing with HTC is similar to what happened to Samsung with the Behold II. If they don't start embracing the dev community, no one will ever recommend them to people who aren't familiar with their phones. Now there's multiple factors for these companies to fail. The dev/modding community is just one aspect but there are many more. Samsung is at a good position right now. They're not providing the sources as freely as they used to but they're at least updating their devices within a "reasonable" timeframe. As soon as they start missing those updates (which they're coming really close to with the US variants of the S II and Note I) I think they'll start declining again. Its almost like a cycle with these companies.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Say whatttt

exciting things may be coming

lane guidance for google maps!
okk not sooo exciting but whatever lol
ok, here's a short and sweet edition of apk teardown coming your way. Prepare yourself.
What's the one remaining thing a standalone gps unit can do that google maps can't? (besides work offline) lane guidance.

Right now, google maps would best be described as "turn guidance." it will tell you when to make a right turn, but that's about it. Lane guidance is a step further: Your next exit is coming up on the right, and a tomtom (pictured) will better prepare you to make the exit by directing you to the right hand lane in advance. This saves you the surprise "turn right" command which suddenly means you need to cut across 40 lanes of traffic. Lane guidance also (usually) has information like the number of lanes, which lanes are turn-only, and things like that. It's great for complex interchanges.
It sounds like lane guidance is coming to google maps. In the latest update there is new, unused text for the "report a problem" feature, which is rather revealing:
<string name="da_report_lane_data_issue_prompt">"what's wrong with this lane guidance?"</string>
<string name="da_report_lane_count_issue">wrong number of lanes</string>
<string name="da_report_lane_arrow_issue">problem with arrows</string>
<string name="da_report_lane_routing_issue">bad lane recommendation</string>
so, apparently there is a version of google maps out there (probably the internal dogfood version) that will display the number of lanes on a road and turn arrows for each lane. This would let googlers drive around and test this, and give them an easy way to report problems with it.
Currently, this text is the only hint of this feature existing. Maps is still missing all the ui parts that this would need to work, like arrows, and a spot to put them. They either don't exist yet, or, more likely, google is testing this and they meant to remove everything from the public version, but they forgot about the text.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02...lane-guidance/
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Ubuntu developer images out.

Anyone installing the Ubuntu builds on their phones or tablets?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

What to expect after flashing
For detailed information check the release notes

Shell and core applications
Connection to the GSM network (on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4)
Phone calls and SMS (on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4)
Networking via Wifi
Functional camera (front and back)
Device accessible through the Android Developer Bridge tool (adb)

Supported devices and codenames

The table below lists the supported devices and their corresponding factory images, should you want to switch back to Android. The images can be found here.

Galaxy Nexus maguro takju or yakju
Nexus 4 mako occam
Nexus 7 grouper nakasi or nakasig
Nexus 10 manta mantaray
I wish someone ports this to the Galaxy S. I don't have much free time to play with this yet but one day I will flash this. It doesn't look like Data works on these builds (and maybe never) so just keep that in mind. Regular voice calls and sms will work though.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Okay wtf. Why didn't HTC demo this during their presentation?

They need to fire their marketing team. I didn't even know the One was capable of doing these things and they're pretty damn cool. This would definitely help them win customers who only see the 4 MP on the One's camera.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Goodbye.

Samsung was in a very bad position (much similar to HTC's now) before they started embracing the developer community. The Behold II fiasco was where they somewhat turned things around prior to getting popular as they are now. The developer/modding community may be small but they have a big say especially now with the internet. They flooded Twitter and Facebook to boycott Samsung products. Before Samsung started cozying up with developers they were treading water in the Android world. It was only after they provided CyanogenMod developers free S II phones and creating dev relations promising to provide sources did they become popular. CyanogenMod being hired by them also helped boost confidence into Samsung phones. They probably would've failed greatly had they not done any of the above. Them getting sued by Apple also brought up demands as well by bringing their name to more households.

HTC was once also in the same position as Samsung is now up until the Nexus One. They had great dev relations with the people at XDA up until the Nexus One. I had an HTC Wizard phone back in the day and I remember getting asked about many times who HTC was. They were a nobody up until the Nexus One. After the Nexus One, they started clamming up their phones much more than before and the devs started to worry and feel betrayed by HTC. HTC failed to provide promised updates and instead of embracing the community that made them great, they kept locking them out. A lot of people stopped recommending their phones. I even stopped recommending them to friends and it didn't get any better with the One X. What we're seeing with HTC is similar to what happened to Samsung with the Behold II. If they don't start embracing the dev community, no one will ever recommend them to people who aren't familiar with their phones. Now there's multiple factors for these companies to fail. The dev/modding community is just one aspect but there are many more. Samsung is at a good position right now. They're not providing the sources as freely as they used to but they're at least updating their devices within a "reasonable" timeframe. As soon as they start missing those updates (which they're coming really close to with the US variants of the S II and Note I) I think they'll start declining again. Its almost like a cycle with these companies.
Um... Your first part about Samsung just proves my point, but your thoughts on HTC is not entirely correct. You are looking at it only from the Android perspective. HTC was a sizable force before Android. Samsung wasn't and just had to enter the smartphone market with something more than just terrible wannabes; same store with LG. And developers and tinkerers can recommend a product all they want, but ask any analyst and 9 times out of 10 they would tell a person how awesome an Android phone was, but then tell them to buy the iPhone because that was what worked for the typical majority user. It wasn't only until Samsung blasted the S3 all over the place that they got recognition by the majority and now they don't even ask for the S3, most of them just go into the store and ask for "the Samsung", all thanks to that first wave of marketing blitz attack on the iPhone lines.

Saw a story last week where 2 guys went into a T-Mo store, got the Nexus 4, but then came back the next day and said they wanted the Samsung, didn't say which one, just "the Samsung". Their reason was because they did not know who Google was that made the Nexus 4. They seriously were that oblivious until the rep asked them what they use to search the internet. Samsung used the developers to their gain, and they were smart about it. That doesn't mean that HTC has to open up to developers again to make a profit. Same can be true the other way, but just look at Apple, just about all of their users do not even know what firmware they are on, let alone jailbreaking. HTC just have to get their "One" name into households...... which was their plan last year, but that failed very very terribly. The One could be what the S2 was to Samsung, but HTC is at least a whole year too late to do that and unless some miracle happens, I hope they get bought out by Motorola and joined into a real hardware manufacturer for Google's mobile future.

Okay wtf. Why didn't HTC demo this during their presentation?

They need to fire their marketing team. I didn't even know the One was capable of doing these things and they're pretty damn cool. This would definitely help them win customers who only see the 4 MP on the One's camera.
They did..... twice. The second time was with more detail too.

Now, THIS is just badass awesome: https://plus.google.com/102343202227...ts/i1wMFSKHBmZ
Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Goodbye.

Gonna have to try out this method of taking Photospheres. Seems to come out just about perfect:
Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Samsung reacted appropriately compared to HTC when they hit rock bottom. They embraced the right people they needed to and marketed like crazy. HTC just needs to correct their mistakes which are easily fixable and they can be up on the top again instead of just sitting on their laurels and hoping people choose their products because they did well in the past. Samsung is fine for now but they need to make better premium phones not made of plastic as the market is definitely changing in that aspect. Looking forward to what they'll bring in the next few weeks.

The Nexus 4 seems to take better Photospheres than the Galaxy Nexus. Not sure if its due to the camera, compression or what. When I view my Photospheres on my phone, they look good but the moment I post them on G+, they look all compressed. When I compare the sizes of the images, it gets compressed by a lot compared to the Nexus 4 Photospheres. Maybe its Google's way of making people think they need a newer phone to take better Photospheres. Lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

the htc one object removal thing is pretty awesome
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I shoot people

Gonna have to try out this method of taking Photospheres. Seems to come out just about perfect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ls6MOyUpcg
isn't this going opposite what had been previously advised? Because she's totally pivoting with her body
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

thats what i thought too.... i'm gonna try again later see what happens, with this method

also i got my ingress invite finally lol
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Goodbye.

isn't this going opposite what had been previously advised? Because she's totally pivoting with her body
Yeah, but her results don't lie. Hence, why I might have to try out her method
If it works out like that, then it is soooo much better & easier than the previous method. Still awkward as ...

All my Nexus products have finally gotten 4.2.2. Now to wait 3 months until the next update. Woot!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I shoot people

thats what i thought too.... i'm gonna try again later see what happens, with this method

also i got my ingress invite finally lol
have you picked a side yet? Tell me where you live and I can find out which side is currently more dominating. I wish I had gone to the Enlightened side because it's the underdog here in Vancouver, but they have more Resistance portals to hack
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

The Enlightened are slightly ahead right now against the Resistance overall. Not sure what happened but I guess a lot of portals decayed or the Enlightened got more organized with their attacks and took over a bunch of portals. All I see in the comm over here are Resistance groups meeting up to hack portals together around the area. LA is a mix of Resistance and Enlightened so either team would be good to play on and there's far more portals there.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I shoot people

Here in Vancouver, the Resistance has always been more dominating since I've started playing about a month ago Kinda sucks because it's more effort to go find an Enlightened portal to hack

Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I shoot people

check out this power bank charger (2000 mAh) that has a hand turbine, so if you really find yourself out there, and not even have a wall plug to charge, you can wind it... I kinda chuckled when I first saw this, but it makes sense

http://www.etoncorp.com/en/productdi...stturbine-2000
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

have you picked a side yet? Tell me where you live and I can find out which side is currently more dominating. I wish I had gone to the Enlightened side because it's the underdog here in Vancouver, but they have more Resistance portals to hack
LA near USC.

I wont get to downloading this till a little later. But let me know which is the underdog haha
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM
I shoot people

LA near USC.

I wont get to downloading this till a little later. But let me know which is the underdog haha
I just did this screen shot, (but note, it can change overnight depending on your city. Just not so much in Vancouver). It looks pretty even, but maybe a little more dominating for the Resistance, especially by USC

Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

cool, i'll join the enlightened then!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

opened the game and its already wanting me to walk around for training closed it cause i gotta do this stupid paper and can't leave my apt

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread