Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
ohh nice. Haha I dont think he would give hints out this early. He's probably some google employee that just raises hype
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
^Yeah he's a Google employee but not sure of which aspect. He does push out other brands as well (I believe he's also now rocking a Lumia 920 and others) so I'm guessing he's not in the core Android group but in the know.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Heads up for T-Mobile Note II users, the Multi-window/tasking support is coming out today if not right now:

http://www.zdnet.com/t-mobile-and-sa...rt-7000009024/
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
I'll probably get a phone Feb/March depends so I don't care if new phones come out after 6 mos. Just looking to see if I'll miss the iPhone.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Damn it! None of my browsers (on both GNex and N7) are able to have Facebook in desktop version now, I just get that big blank in the middle. I actually prefer it over the mobile version AND the FB app

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
Damn it! None of my browsers (on both GNex and N7) are able to have Facebook in desktop version now, I just get that big blank in the middle. I actually prefer it over the mobile version AND the FB app

have you tried changing your user agent to desktop in dolphin browser?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
so the noob has another question....

whats a good quick charger for the Note. I recently bought a 2 usb port charger and well, its not the best, if I have Torque PRO, GPS, Music playing, even with the charger plugged in, it discharges slowly....

any good 2 port rapid charger out there which will support the note on one and wifeys iphone on the other?

This is what I saw on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

this is a single usb but the white looks sick LOL
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

2013 toyota avalon added wireless charging for phones. Thats an awesome option. More cars need to do that and more phones need to have wireless charging!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
so the noob has another question....

whats a good quick charger for the Note. I recently bought a 2 usb port charger and well, its not the best, if I have Torque PRO, GPS, Music playing, even with the charger plugged in, it discharges slowly....

any good 2 port rapid charger out there which will support the note on one and wifeys iphone on the other?

This is what I saw on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2...mp+usb+charger

http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-usbc20...mp+usb+charger

this is a single usb but the white looks sick LOL
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-P-P-DC-UF-...mp+usb+charger
Look at the Voltage and more importantly, the ampere ratings. First, you need to make sure that the adapter is 5V or else anything higher (like 12V) than that will fry your device. Second, the higher the amperes the faster it'll charge. Also, USB Cable length can impact charge rates. The longer they are, the slower it'll charge because of the length and resistance that the current has to travel. Anything below 6 ft is good.

Stay away from anything that has iPhone labeling on their packaging! iPhones do NOT use the normal charging standards and therefore anything not Apple related will charge slower than they say. You could also use a Power Inverter which are a lot cheaper nowadays than they used to be and you could just use your regular charging adapter. You'll have a better gurantee of getting a good charge vs. buying a generic car adapter. Also, check out the XDA Accessories forums for your device. People usually put up suggestions there about chargers:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1793

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Oh I forgot to mention. If you find a kernel that supports it, you could force enable USB Fast charge on any charger/cable combo. Since the Verizon Note II just came out I'm not sure if any kernels are available that do that yet. Maybe there is. Just check XDA.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

This is a pretty nice PhotoSphere:

https://plus.google.com/+ColbyBrown/posts/iGVMkYDaeHP
Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
have you tried changing your user agent to desktop in dolphin browser?
Cool! That did it
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

They got Miracast working on the US variants of the S3:

https://plus.google.com/100275307499...ts/GE97vTVAiBh

Samsung phones could already wirelessly stream content via AllShare but Miracast allows full mirroring and is an open standard in comparison. And apparently, the AllShare dongles are upgradeable to accept Miracast streams now? Looks like the Note II is next and unfortunately not working on the Nexus 7 or Galaxy Nexus even though they're most likely capable. (They don't have the proper documentation for it yet)

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work based on opinion. The only supported platform, at the moment, is qualcomm S4. Exynos4 will probably happen next, and there's nothing at all for OMAP.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

So this is the first time I've come across MySMS:

Anyone use it on iOS devices? I assume its similar to TabletTalk and CloudSync. Probably more similar to CloudSync as it stores your SMS in the cloud (privacy alert) so you would need a WiFi/data connection on your tablet to access your SMS with the exception that you can send out texts/mms via your PC as well by logging into their website. Its also different from TabletTalk and CloudSync in that they have an iOS app so you can sync your Android phone/tablet with your iPhone/iPad. Apparently, the tablet app can't receive MMS yet unlike TabletTalk and Cloud Sync which is the only other downside I could see and you can use the stock SMS app to send/receive messages without ever opening the MySMS app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.tablet

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mysm...45578261?mt=12

Privacy Policy:

http://www.mysms.com/en/privacy

From a worker on how it works:

Hi,

actually it's both! It works very similar to iMessage

- Messages to other mysms users are send via Internet using mysms friends.
- If your contact does not use mysms, mysms will send the message (as real SMS) via your mobile carrier.

In both cases we use your actual phone number.

Angela (mysms)
http://www.androidcentral.com/mysms-...imized-version

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-21-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Rumors of a X phone from motorolla/google have surfaced. Nothing about the phone is known though haha
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
retired my old rooted HTC Incredible running CM 7.2 for GN2

i am pleased. haha. haven't rooted YET but dam this thing is quick..

first time having 4G and haha

all the while keeping my unlimited data plan with verizon...

bitches aint takin my ultimited data
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,411 Likes on 6,307 Posts
The checkered, slow history of Android handset updates
If power Android users can agree on one thing, it’s that Google, carriers, and smartphone manufacturers are maybe not the best at executing on Android OS updates. Things were going great in the early days when there was only the one flagship Android phone, but as more companies and carriers got involved the update situation fell apart. Google tried to intervene with the Android Update Alliance, which resulted in exactly zero improvements to update timeliness.

For those interested in getting the latest and greatest OS update the second it’s announced, these delays are a known negative of the Android platform. The growing history of OS releases shows all carriers and smartphone manufacturers drag their feet in the application of updates—but some carriers, some manufacturers, and some combinations thereof are marginally better than others at getting updates to their phones.

To see how well all of these companies have been doing, we took a selection of the highest-profile Android phones released since the OS debuted, going all the way back to the T-Mobile G1. We compared Google’s release of each new Android OS version against the date that it was applied to each phone, then calculated the delay (rounded to months). (Note that we define "update" as a major point release of Android—2.2 Froyo, 2.3 Gingerbread, 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. More minor updates or firmware releases are not accounted for here.)

Something to take note of is that some phones, for one reason or another, never received updates during their lifetime. For the phones we selected, this wasn't a result of bad timing either—all phones we looked at had Android updates available to them within a reasonable time frame relative to the handset’s release, but for one reason another, the carrier or manufacturer never got around to pushing one out. Of the phones we studied, the carriers each have one orphaned, non-updated phone. Broken down by manufacturers, Motorola has three, HTC has one, and Samsung and LG have none. The number of orphaned phones each manufacturer has doesn't correspond to their overall upgrade pace, but it is an important metric to keep in mind when assessing the company’s efficacy with updates in general.

The other statistical wrench in this system is the existence of phones that different companies have developed in close partnership with Google, such as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus or HTC Nexus One. These phones usually serve as flagship handsets for a significant OS release, and they tend to benefit from the Google relationship throughout their useful lifetimes by getting unusually timely updates. We note throughout when we are dealing with a Google partnership phone and how it affects the statistics relative to the carrier or manufacturer as a whole.

Lastly, we are aware that sometimes it’s possible to find ROMs of the next Android release for some phones weeks or even months before a carrier will push them out. For the purposes of this article, we are dealing with official releases only. When we bestow superlatives on one of the entities in this article (best, longest, worst), we’re speaking within the context of handsets studied, not about every Android phone that’s been released in the history of Android.

Let's run through the numbers.

Individual manufacturers: LG, Motorola, Samsung, HTC

LG is one of the least prolific manufacturers here, and it happens to be the most lackadaisical about updates. The company let over a year pass for three of its phones before upgrading them to the next version of the operating system, and none of its phones received an update sooner than nine months after Google released a new OS version. LG did not release a second update to any of its handsets (presumably because it takes too long with the initial updates). An LG phone also holds the record for longest update holdout, with the Optimus 2X taking 16 months to go from Android 2.2 to 2.3.

LG phones average 11.9 months between an OS version release and the update reaching the phone.

Motorola also has one of the smaller pools of phones, but it is the next least diligent company when it comes to updates. All but one of its phones received one update or less. Three of them—the Droid 3, Atrix 4G, and Photon 4G—never received updates at all (the Atrix 4G was famously promised Android 4.0 before Motorola reneged). Two phones took over a year to get updates, and only two phone received any updates in less than six months—the original Droid, released in late 2009, when it was updated from Android 2.0 to 2.1; and the Droid X, going from 2.1 to 2.2 in 2010. Motorola fares significantly better in its average time-to-update, though, at 8.4 months over all its phones.

Samsung as a whole works harder at keeping its phones current. Five of the 12 phones we studied received two updates during their lifetimes (and some, like the Galaxy S III, are not new enough for a second update to be on the table yet). Still, only six of the 17 updates were issued six months or less after Google made the new OS version available.

Samsung benefits a bit in this area from having released multiple versions of two Google partnership phones, the Galaxy Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. In fact, the only OS update that took less than six months and that did not benefit from the Google-Samsung relationship was the Galaxy S III, which was updated from Android 4.0 to 4.1 in five months. Samsung averages a 6.9 month lag between updates.

Although HTC is now one of the less popular manufacturers, it has been the overall winner in terms of getting updates out to users quickly. Like Samsung, it benefits from Google partnerships, particularly in the early days. HTC made the first Android handset, the Dream/T-Mobile G1, which received its first two updates the same month the updates were released (they're accounted for as "0"s in the chart above, which is why they don't appear). A later partnership handset, the Nexus One, had two versions on different carriers that got a total of four updates between them that took two months or less.

Of the phones surveyed, HTC has never lagged longer than a year between an update release and its issuance to a phone. The company's biggest offender was the Evo 3D, which didn’t get its update to 4.0 from 2.3 for ten months. HTC’s time-to-update average is a bit skewed due to the fact that it got in on the ground floor of Android when updates came relatively easily, but it is still the most impressive of all the manufacturers, with a 4.7 month update average.

Manufacturers, meet the carriers

When it comes to Android, carriers insist on testing and approving each update to each individual phone model before they can roll out over-the-air, so how smartphone companies and carriers work together matters—and it's too often ignored.

We’ll begin with Verizon, the worst carrier for OS update disbursement. Verizon beats AT&T by a small amount in its average time-to-update (eight months) but unlike AT&T, the company is consistently bad across manufacturers at distributing updates. Many of the long update times we saw from individual companies were on Verizon handsets, including most of Motorola’s phones, two of HTC’s highest update lags (Rezound, Droid Incredible) and one of Samsung’s (the Verizon version of the Galaxy S, or Fascinate). LG had the longest average update time on Verizon, though that’s only based on one phone; Motorola followed, despite its close relationship with the carrier, at 8.1 months. HTC and Samsung averaged 7.75 months each.

AT&T was not much better than Verizon, and it is home to some of the biggest update offenders, with an average update time of 7.8 months. LG does its second worst job here, averaging 12.7 months over three AT&T phones (two phones, the LG Phoenix and Thrill 4G, took well over a year). One of Motorola’s worst offenders, the Atrix 2, took 12 months to get an update on AT&T, and its Atrix 4G never got an update at all. AT&T is really saved by its Google partnership handsets, with HTC’s Nexus One and Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S doing business on its service. Largely because of the partnership, HTC on AT&T has a low update lag time of 2.3 months, while Samsung has 7.4 months.

Sprint proved more timely than either AT&T or Verizon, with an average lag time of 6.5 months. It’s helped out by having only two Samsung phones, both of which were Google partnerships (the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus). Samsung averages a 3.7-month lag on Sprint. Sprint also gets HTC on some of its weaker showings with its Evo series; however, at least no HTC phones here took over a year to get updates on Sprint (the average time was seven months). LG drags things down with an average lag time of 10 months, and Motorola sags here too with one phone, the Photon 4G, which was never updated.

The nimblest of all the carriers, surprisingly, is T-Mobile, at an average delay of 5.8 months. Again, the G1 skews the stats, but HTC is about as well-behaved here as it is on Sprint, with no update times even close to a year and with two Google partnership handsets (Nexus One and G1). LG’s biggest update lag came with its only T-Mobile phone, the Optimus 2X (which took 16 months to see an update). Samsung and T-Mobile actually perform as poorly together as Samsung and Verizon when it comes to updates, averaging 7.8 months on the Galaxy S series. Motorola has made no high-profile phones for T-Mobile.

The pointing of the fingers, the hurling of accusations

Scientifically speaking, the data set for Android updates remains relatively small. After all, the operating system has only existed for more than four years. For the first two years, only a handful of Android phones existed; in the following two years everything scaled up rapidly, to hundreds of millions of handset sales worldwide on dozens of carriers beyond the ones evaluated here.

Even the notion itself of software updates after hardware release is still a relatively new concept, let alone the idea that hardware owners are entitled to feature-based updates. Everyone involved is still getting the hang of this. While we can look at the numbers and try to draw conclusions, there may be factors that we, as outsiders to these companies, can’t account for here. Some handsets may receive late or no updates because they sold poorly, or because they were held back or delayed because of a company’s UI overlay.

Still, laid out like this, the landscape of Android updates doesn't look great. Updates that take less than six months to reach phones remain rare overall, and these are increasingly rare in recent months. The gap between Verizon and T-Mobile averages are small—no one's pushing these updates out quickly—but maybe T-Mobile hasn’t been getting its due in this regard. It does remain the fastest by a couple of months, on average.

Given Motorola’s long history and entrenchment in the Android scene, we were surprised to see it perform so poorly. Likewise, Samsung is far and away the biggest and most successful Android smartphone maker in terms of carrier coverage and sales, yet it’s not serving customers as well as it could be.

While HTC comes out on top, we suspect this is largely due to its canniness in dealing with Google. HTC hasn’t produced many bestsellers and its overall sales are modest relative to its competitors, but being the first to step up as Google’s flagship partner and sticking close ever since seems to have served the company well. But the circumstances that afforded it early, near-instant updates on its flagship are a mere memory now; we can mostly discount them for the purposes of predicting upgrade behavior in the future.

We hesitate to highlight one combination of carrier and manufacturer as the best, particularly since the best-performing partnerships seem to be a result of Google’s close involvement. If you like your updates on the timely side, your best bet is to follow that Google flagship, no matter the allied carrier or manufacturer.

We see glimmers of hope in the HTC/Sprint relationship, and to a lesser extent in that between Samsung and AT&T. In fact, the more recent Galaxy S phones got their most recent updates (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean) relatively quickly, so hopefully that’s a sign of good things to come.

Updates certainly aren't the most important aspect of picking a new phone—if an OS version works well, then you may be content simply to stick with that. But for those who like the latest and greatest, it’s clear that the need for update improvements plagues the entire Android ecosystem.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

interesting read
Old 12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Just picked up two T-mobile samsung galaxy notes for $49 ea. (no rebate) via costco.Get it while you can

Last edited by whudini3000; 12-23-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
The checkered, slow history of stories about Android updates
By Phil Nickinson

Android was not designed to be updated like iOS, but good luck getting everyone on board with that idea

Here we go again. Another year, another "Let's see how long it takes Android updates to roll out" story. The latest comes from Ars Technica, titled "The checkered, slow history of Android handset updates." It takes a look at how long it takes manufacturers to push out major releases to their handsets. Lots of charts. Lots of months. All done with the misconception that phones must be upgraded to the next, major release of Android, or something's wrong.

Only, here's the last graf of Casey Johnston's piece:.

Updates certainly aren't the most important aspect of picking a new phone—if an OS version works well, then you may be content simply to stick with that. But for those who like the latest and greatest, it’s clear that the need for update improvements plagues the entire Android ecosystem.

Hang on. There are, like, 30 paragraphs detailing things that, in the end, Ars says "aren't the most important aspect of picking a new phone." So what did we just finish reading? Circumstantial evidence that shows ... what? Android is not iOS?

Unfortunately, this is not a new phenomenon.

So how long should a major update take? We'd really like to know

Ars does get close to the real reason toward the beginning of its conclusion. Writes Johnston:

Even the notion itself of software updates after hardware release is still a relatively new concept, let alone the idea that hardware owners are entitled to feature-based updates. Everyone involved is still getting the hang of this. While we can look at the numbers and try to draw conclusions, there may be factors that we, as outsiders to these companies, can’t account for here. Some handsets may receive late or no updates because they sold poorly, or because they were held back or delayed because of a company’s UI overlay.

This. This is the most important paragraph in the piece. This is the part so many people seem to not understand, and we largely have the iPhone to blame. Apple did a commendable job creating a single, vertical platform with the iPhone and iOS. It's not quite a single-phone ecosystem -- there are small carrier variations, but those have largely coalesced into what now is the iPhone 5. But the point Apple designed the iPhone and iOS to be controlled by Apple. As few devices as possible, with the variants so close together on the evolutionary ladder that updates can -- and do -- come much easier, much quicker. It's a quick, quiet river, moving right along. All controlled by Apple. Not a OEM. Not a carrier. Apple. If your goal is consistency and control, this is how to do it.

Android, on the other hand, is a whole mess of ecosystems that happen to use the same OS. There's Samsung Land. And Motorola World. And the happy place that is HTC Hollow. And moving between them is more like simultaneously traversing the Mississippi River and Panama Canal, with its twists and turns and changes in elevation. Toss in the whitewater-rapids pace of hardware development and, no -- you absolutely will not see equal updates between phones, manufacturers or carriers. Not every phone will get every update. Period.

We are users. We're not engineers. We're not coders. We don't have a clue as to what it takes to update a device. Not a single person I've talked to -- up to an including the folks who make phones for a living -- has been able to answer this question: "How long should it take for an update to reach your phone from the moment the code is made available?" And we're not in meetings with the carriers when they're deciding which resources to put toward major updates for phones that might not be as popular as you'd like (that's a tough reality), and which should go toward new phones. But this is business. It's not personal.

We've been spoiled by the way Apple's done things, both in mobile and on the traditional computing side. That's not a bad thing. That's the way updates should be done, and it's the way the will be done in a vertical ecosystem like iOS. But Android is not designed for that to happen. It may never be.

Don't ignore the really important updates

Another point that needs to be mentioned: Ars is ignoring "point" updates. That's fine, and they're transparent about it. But I'd argue that "point" updates -- or maintenance releases -- are more important. (An Ars commenter mentioned this, too.) They fix things that are broken. They're the ones that need to be worried about more in the life cycle of the phone. Look no further than this week's Samsung Exynos brouhaha. That's something that needs to be fixed, ASAP. That's a benchmark that needs to be taken more seriously. It's a bit of a Catch-22. You want to see as few maintenance releases as necessary. But when one's needed, it needs to get pushed out as quickly as possible.

Ars isn't alone here. We had this same talk more than a year ago when CNET's Molly Wood got all up in arms over the "fragmentation" bogeyman. We've seen other such update "studies" published that all ignore the simple fact that Android is not designed the same as iOS. As much as we'd like it, updates won't magically appear a month after Google releases the code publicly. Not every phone is created equal. Some will be left behind.

Maybe, just maybe, things are moving quicker

But consider this: Android 4.1 was released to the Android Open Source Project on July 9, 2012, and five months later we're seeing updates from Samsung. From Motorola. From HTC. (And those are but a few phones seeing upates this holiday season.) Sony, which Ars didn't mention in its piece, says we'll see updates in February and March. LG's bringing updates in the new year.

Of course, none of this matters if the manufacturers and carriers don't deliver. But the Android update process is complex, and it isn't as dire as some would have you believe.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

ehhh i care about updates so I'd like them. For me it provides a longevity for you phone.

obivously if you get a good phone, right of the bat it will be amazing. But in a year it will be outdated if it can't keep up with the new software. Which is why software updates are good. Makes the phone easier to keep for 2+ years.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Safety Car

We've had this discussion so many times now and the same thoughts keep on repeating. Lol. Articles linked like those above are really preaching to the choir here. People who join forums have a higher chance of being tech saavy and are able to install the updates themselves. Those that aren't don't know or care what version of Android they have. The people that do care are a minority which is why those updates articles have been going on so long and Android sales haven't faltered. In fact, they've skyrocketed which should tell you more about the "problem". (It won't last forever. Nothing ever does. ) I think everyone should know by now that if you want updates right away stick with the Nexus line or get a phone with hardware similar to it because the updates will be a lot easier. End of discussion.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-24-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

I thought this was a well done comparison of the Droid DNA, Nexus 4 and the Note II:

Might help some people who are on the fence with the devices above.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Safety Car

Have you guys checked out the Archos Video Player that they just released the other day?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZXIudmlkZW8iXQ..

Its actually pretty nice. It grabbed all the meta data for the Shows I was watching on my Nexus 7. Haven't tried all video formats yet but so far so good. I still have MX Player installed because it can actually grab MP4 videos off the browser and stream them but the Archos Video Player is pretty nice for what it is. It also allows you to stream off folders off your network so you don't have to keep it the videos on your device. Also, instead of paying Archos $5 for the codecs, you can grab these instead which is free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bGliY29weTIiXQ..
Old 12-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Other than the slick UI, are there any better features of Archos Video Player compared to MX Player?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Goodbye.

My Time With Saint Nexus of Google

Lucky Goldstar, Indeed

I am no stranger to LG phones; actually like their build quality. My last one is sitting somewhere on a box in the room collecting dust, but that is only because it is one of those in-betweeners. Not really a dumbphone, but not really a smartphone either. There is nothing wrong with it and it just sits there because I can't figure out what to do with it and also serves as a great backup in case my other 2 backup phones fail and I need it. Lucky Goldstar Electronics' Nexus 4 would be my first foray into LG's smartphone world (bet you didn't know that's the real name, eh?).

Hardware wise, I've got to say this is the best feeling phone I have ever held in my hands, including the Motorola Razr flip phone which sits in my phone museum. The sides have a nice rubbery feel to it without feeling cheap. It is like having grippy slick tyres on the sides of your phone. The chrome ring over the top is definitely a love it or hate it relationship. It looks nice from a far like the old days of Blackberry phones, but it is the only place on the phone that is susceptible to scuffing. Good thing there is an official bumper to cover it up if you hate it that much. Personally, I think it is not intrusive and don't really notice it unless I stare at it from a 45 degree angle at macro lens level.

On to the fancy glass front and back of the phone. Everyone has an opinion on it. Sure, I was cautious with where I put the phone down on, the temperatures to expose it to, and the number of mysophobia like symptoms I showed it just to keep it safe after reading horror accounts of glass breaking, shattering, exploding, mutating, etc... The fact is, there are only two possible weak points in the glass back: the speaker on the bottom right and the camera housing on the top left. They are there because that is where the glass is cut out to house those components. I have not thrown my phone down a flight of stairs or anywhere else so it is still in tact, though I did buy ZAGG for both the front and back because I know the truth about Gorilla Glass 2 and just prefer the extra protection (and grip it offers on the back).

All the complaints about hearing a rattle in the phone is akin to asking why the baby screams and cries whenever I shake it violently. All phones have this because it is the camera lens/auto-focus mechanism.

The screen tapers off the sides so it does make it very smooth and easy when you start those off screen swipe motions, but with a screen protector and/or case on, it is negligible.

Ports and buttons are just like everything you read out there. They work, they are where they are and they feel good.

From Go-Kart to Formula One

My last phone was running Gingerbread. The Nexus 4 runs 4.2, hence the title. It is seriously that huge of a jump. I knew all the trimmings and upgrades in software up until 4.2.1 so it was not a huge learning curve, but the shock still applied. I won't talk about 4.2 since everyone can read about more detailed writings about that around the web, but I love it. Stock.

Combined with the speed of the phone, I have found myself many times swiping to do an action and then just waiting on the screen, without realizing that the action/app had already loaded up. Some days I like to think the Nexus 4 is mocking me with a "what are you waiting for?" mentality. It is ridiculously fast and in my first week with it, I would simply swipe my way around the app drawer just to be amazed with how fast the speed is, like a kid getting a bb gun on Christmas.

Orb me already!

As of now, I only have 2 accessories for this phone - one official. Got the bumper and the Ringke Slim case. Using the bumper because it shows off that sexy back and comes with more protection.

The bumper is made of plastic and tpu like layers. The gunmetal finish on the sides blend well with the cross stitching pattern on the grip part. It is very well done and blends in so well with the phone that most people think it is part of the phone and none the wiser. It does offer more grip than the naked phone, but also some added dimensions. I will say that for the first 2 hours with it, I was ready to throw the bumper into the garbage and curse out Google for the extra 3mm they now added to the phone sides. After the first 2 hours, I loved it so much that I will never take it off. 90% of the hatred of the official bumper online have been because it adds "bulk", but the truth is because there is no back to this bumper, your hands and fingers still touch the back glass at times and that odd sensation tricks your brain into thinking something is wrong, when in actuality 3mm is not earth shattering.

Some people always go naked with their phones and I don't blame them, it is a great phone to go naked on, but for me, the bumper is the way to go. It gives you enough protection, while showing off that sexy back whenever the light hits it, and more grip. Also, I don't have to worry about the screens touching anything when I set the phone down thanks to the added 1mm lip on the front and back. Not to mention, telling people about how uneven their tables, chairs, counters, and shelves are. One more thing, the buttons on the bumper feels like the actual buttons on the phone, sometimes, even better.

Downsides of the bumper are that the headphone jack is deeper and some right angle headphones will not fit in there without some push and positioning. Also, if you are one to hold your phone one handed with your pinky touching the bottom middle of the phone, you may not like the bumper's design by the usb port, or you could just move your pinky a little bit to the left or right.

I do wish Google would get on with it and release the charging orb and car dock already. They've teased it in various videos, but the slow pace at releasing them has caused a ridiculous increase in every Qi compatible charging station.

Random things:
- The packaging is awesome. I rubbed my face on the two toned box.
- The phone takes two and a half hours to charge from 0 to 100, on the stock charger.
- Battery life varies with what you do, but you can watch movies for 4.5 hours before killing the entire battery in one shot.
- Don't need/care for LTE use in my daily life.
- Running on HSPA+, I get 3 to 4 times faster speeds than my previous phone.
- Camera's circle interface thingamabob will frustrate you sometimes, especially if you need to make changes in a hurry.
- Gallery's edit suite is more than you will need for casual photo editing.
- All my future phones will be Nexus products from now on.

How much do I love this phone? If I could buy the NSX "concept" now, I would rearrange the letters on the back to say Acura NXS.

Happy, Happy Christmas everybody!
The following 3 users liked this post by TSXy Luster:
AMGala (12-26-2012), CGFebTSX04 (12-24-2012), speedemon90 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

^I thought that was an official review from a website. Lol. Thanks for the input!
TSXy Luster (12-25-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AMGala
Other than the slick UI, are there any better features of Archos Video Player compared to MX Player?
It can grab metadata for all of your video files: Show Info, Episode Info, Synopsis, etc. Basically, it grabs the IMDB info for the video if its available. It searches it based on the name of the file and it doesn't even have to be exact. For example, I have a file called "Dexter.S07E01.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.mp4" and without tweaking the title, it grabbed all of the info above with the Season 7 poster of Dexter. Additionally, it can download subtitles for you if you like. I haven't tried it yet but its there. Also, it has built in SMB sharing so you can share videos off your network. It'll pull up all the meta data for all of your videos in that networked folder as well without doing anything.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.
AMGala (12-26-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Crap. just realized that if I go to Verizon and upgrade my DroidX to a DroidM for $50 I will lose my unlimited data plan. I only use about 400-600MB/mo but it looks like I am going to have to pay more to get the same...

My $80 +tax bill will become $90+tax.

Thanks Verizon.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Argghhh TSXy, you were right about developers constantly ditching their ROMS. I'm 2 for 2 in choosing a rom that has stopped with development.

On other news, some dude on xda for the tmobile S3 found out how to evade the data cap throttle! And also do free tethering. Awesome!! Can't wait for devs to include that in their ROMs. I dont really know how to decompile apk's and I dont even know if its something i can do on a mac.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Crap. just realized that if I go to Verizon and upgrade my DroidX to a DroidM for $50 I will lose my unlimited data plan. I only use about 400-600MB/mo but it looks like I aam going to have to pay more to get the same...

My $80 +tax bill will become $90+tax.

Thanks Verizon.
If you have a family plan or similar.. there is a way around it.

I transferred my upgrade to my moms line since she has the tier data plan and ordered my Note2 through her line. Once received, I popped in an extra 4G SIM card that my friend got me and activated the phone on her line. Then I reactivated her old phone back to her line which freed the Note2 to be activated to my line with the SIM card verizon sent me.

Checked online after I activated the note2 to my line and saw that my data hasnt changed from unlimited.

WIN
stogie1020 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by jjashaa
If you have a family plan or similar.. there is a way around it.

I transferred my upgrade to my moms line since she has the tier data plan and ordered my Note2 through her line. Once received, I popped in an extra 4G SIM card that my friend got me and activated the phone on her line. Then I reactivated her old phone back to her line which freed the Note2 to be activated to my line with the SIM card verizon sent me.

Checked online after I activated the note2 to my line and saw that my data hasnt changed from unlimited.

WIN
I have seen this detailed all over the place, but unfortunately I am the only line on the plan...

I could do a Nexus phone for $299 but they are sold out and the DroidX is on it's last legs...
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Darn....

Ive also read people that would open a new line JUST to keep unlimited data on their old line... crazy
Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
^I thought that was an official review from a website. Lol. Thanks for the input!
Haha thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by jjashaa
Darn....

Ive also read people that would open a new line JUST to keep unlimited data on their old line... crazy
For a heavy data user that may actually be LESS expensive...

I currently (3g)use less than a GB per month, so it should only be a $10 increase per month for me, just pisses me off that I have to pay more for the same as I currently have.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
It can grab metadata for all of your video files: Show Info, Episode Info, Synopsis, etc. Basically, it grabs the IMDB info for the video if its available. It searches it based on the name of the file and it doesn't even have to be exact. For example, I have a file called "Dexter.S07E01.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.mp4" and without tweaking the title, it grabbed all of the info above with the Season 7 poster of Dexter. Additionally, it can download subtitles for you if you like. I haven't tried it yet but its there. Also, it has built in SMB sharing so you can share videos off your network. It'll pull up all the meta data for all of your videos in that networked folder as well without doing anything.
That's pretty nifty, thanks! I'll try it out
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AMGala
That's pretty nifty, thanks! I'll try it out
So far its worked with all of my media (even .mkv files) with the exception that it won't play AC3 audio yet. It seems to be a codec limitation. The same video with AC3 audio works perfectly on MX Player. So I guess at the moment its necessary to have both installed.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Woohoo! Google is continuing the free phone calls to US and Canadian numbers through 2013 with Google Voice:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/1...nd-canada.html

Means GrooveIP will still continue to work if needed.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Goodbye.

Random curiosity: When you guys watch movies/tvshows/video on your phones, do you turn the brightness all the way up?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

I turn it close to 100% maybe around 75% if I had to guess. I only use 100% brightness when I'm driving or walking around and I can't see my screen. Otherwise, it stays at 30% almost all of the time.

I also don't use autobrightness because I could never get it to the level I want it to. Although, I've been reading about Lux to solve that issue. I just never dove into the app because I don't have the patience for something I like to take care of manually but a lot of people have been touting it as it works similar to f.lux (no experience with that app):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...52aXRvLmx1eCJd

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/lux-for...actually-work/

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread