Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL Football Discussion Thread 2006 / 2007 Season

Old 10-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,841 Likes on 13,997 Posts
^ Nope on the Air in McNair.

So, the undefeated list is now down to two...
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Pffft...it was just alot whinier...I'm never gunshy about my fave sports teams. Just do a post lookup and you'll see...
lol, I meant there were a lot less fair weather fans around. But I was only kidding around

And yes, you were a lot whinier when Orton was around now that I think about it
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,308 Likes on 961 Posts
Who's undefeated? Indy doesn't look that strong. Chicago is purring along.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booooooooooooooooooo
Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation Cowboys about to be TOwned...?

and

I'm too lazy to check in this thread, but I think I set the over/under for Mount TO to erupt at 3 games, right?

Anyhoo...from cnnsi.com...

'Why am I here?'

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Terrell Owens screamed it on the sideline against Philadelphia, in the locker room after a loss and repeated it again Wednesday: "Why am I here?"

The volatile receiver admits he's frustrated with his role on the Dallas Cowboys, but not simply because he's off to his worst start in years. According to T.O., he'd be fine if Dallas was winning and he had mediocre statistics.

It's the Cowboys' being 2-2 combined with the reduced numbers that he can't tolerate.

"I do have a problem when I don't feel like I'm involved enough," he said. "I know I can make a difference. That's not me being arrogant. I just know what I bring to the table. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. ... I want to win. I came here to help this team win."

Owens spoke the entire 45 minutes the locker room was open to reporters, passionately describing his feelings on many subjects. He even revealed that the ongoing issues he's faced the last few months, from a hamstring injury in training camp to an accidental overdose, have driven him to "sit in my house in the dark" instead of having much of a social life.

He never directly criticized quarterback Drew Bledsoe or coach Bill Parcells, the playbook or the play calling.

In fact, T.O. had few specific complaints -- just the general one about not getting the ball enough.

"I haven't really gotten started yet," he said.

Owens has 17 catches for 232 yards and one touchdown. It's his fewest catches after four games since 1999 and his fewest yards at this point since 2002. His three-game streak without reaching the end zone is his longest drought since 2000.

In a loss Sunday against the Eagles, his former team, Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards. However, there were 13 passes thrown his way -- five more than to any other Dallas receiver, Parcells noted Wednesday. Owens dropped one and two were intercepted, including one that likely would've been a touchdown.

"The opportunities are there," he said. "We're just not connecting."

Owens knew when he signed with Dallas in March he was joining an offense that wasn't designed to showcase a specific receiver. However, he acknowledged for the first time Wednesday he expected that to change for him -- like it did in Philadelphia.

"Dude, I am playmaker," he said. "These guys know that. It's simple. ... Get the ball in the playmaker's hands."

Owens was mostly supportive of Bledsoe, especially considering how he's talked about his previous quarterbacks. He even added he is working on his route-running "to give the quarterback better looks, things of that nature."

"I think we all need to play better," Owens said. "That was one of the things he came up to me and said. Even after the game, he sent me a text that said, 'Stay with me,' he'll play better for me. You can only respect that. He's trying his best to get the ball to me in certain situations. It's hard when he has a lot of pressure on him."

Bledsoe reiterated Wednesday that T.O. is a quality receiver who wants the ball and the quarterback is happy to try getting it to him.

"I've never had a receiver, at least not one who is worth anything, that was happy with the number of times they touch the ball," Bledsoe said. "I told him when he got here, 'Listen, I don't expect you to be happy all the time. If you don't get to touch the ball enough, I don't expect you to like that. At the same time, you have to keep playing hard for me and give me good information when you come back.' And he's been very good about that."

Owens thinks he's been good about it, too, adding he's not trying "to come in and stir things up ... to create more controversy and distraction around here."

"I wouldn't say I'm unhappy," said Owens, who is making $10 million this season as part of a $25 million, three-year deal. "I'm not happy about the losing. I just feel like there's really an opportunity for something really special to happen here in Dallas with the team that we have. Once we get the nucleus of guys in the right positions to play and play as a unit, then we're going to be OK."

But is T.O. going to be OK?

"I don't go nowhere," he said. "I don't do nothing. It's frustrating. It's frustrating just to go (through) what I have been going through since training camp. I've had the hamstring. Then I break my hand. Then I go to the hospital. Then personal stuff.

"My way of venting is going out there on Sunday, trying to win ballgames. Now it's added frustration, especially when I know we have a good team. And the team we lost to, they know they should have lost. We made too many mistakes to win. We are stopping ourselves."

Owens watched the game film of the Eagles game with teammates Monday ("It was sickening," he said), then saw a replay of the Fox broadcast Tuesday night on the NFL Network.

He was still peeved Wednesday about some of the things discussed about him, especially the repeated shots of him barking at his teammates.

"The guys in the booth are saying, 'There he goes again, he's up to his old stuff again,"' he said. "It's very unfair. ... It makes me hesitant to try to do what I need to do."

Besides, if he wanted to really do something shocking and get across his message, he could always borrow from the repertoire of his Dallas predecessor, Keyshawn Johnson.

"I need to get a shirt -- 'Give me the damn ball!"' Owens said, smiling wide and laughing. "I am just kidding. I am just kidding."
Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
and

I'm too lazy to check in this thread, but I think I set the over/under for Mount TO to erupt at 3 games, right?

Anyhoo...from cnnsi.com...

Wow I would've thought it'd all work out in Big D I do feel bad for Parcells. He's a good guy.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Wow I would've thought it'd all work out in Big D I do feel bad for Parcells. He's a good guy.
And I believe Parcells never even wanted TO in the first place...it was Jones who forced him down the coach's throat.

I bet this is Bill's last year in Dallas.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:02 PM

that Jones made Parcells take him. There was a pretty good article on the subject in last weeks Sports Illustrated.

Oh, and Barry Switzer or Jimmy Johnson woulda made it work :wink:
Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

media is blowing the TO debacle out of Proportion
Old 10-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Mount TO rumbling s'more...

More and ...Dallas getting closer and closer to TOwnage...

Terrell Owens and Cowboys wide receivers coach Todd Haley got into a heated argument during a meeting Wednesday.

The incident ended with both yelling, shouting, "Don't disrespect me like that," ESPN's Ed Werder reported Friday.

Owens, however, still took first-team reps this week, is still considered a major part of the game plan, and is still going to start this weekend against Houston.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells made no mention of the incident in his news conference Friday morning. Owens was in the locker room during media availability, but he did not speak to reporters.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2624142
Old 10-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Racer

god, he's imploding...i didnt think it would be this soon

'Merely co-workers and that's it'
After word of blowup leaks, T.O. done talking to coach

Terrell Owens is done talking to his position coach.

T.O. said on his radio show Friday that his relationship with Dallas Cowboys receivers coach Todd Haley was ruined by a blowup this week. It began when Owens missed the start of Wednesday's practice because of an upset stomach, and Haley berated him for being late. Owens held his tongue then, but they later argued during a meeting.

The story getting out seems to bother Owens the most because Haley vowed since training camp that all internal matters would stay behind closed doors. Owens spoke with reporters for 45 minutes Wednesday without ever mentioning any problems with Haley. But the incident was reported by several media outlets Friday before Owens gave his side of the story later on his weekly show.

From now on, T.O. said, "there will be nothing else, no other dialogue" between him and Haley.

"There will be no more friendly nothing because I don't trust anybody like that," Owens said. "I will go out and practice hard. I will respect him as a coach, and he should respect me as a player. Anything outside of that I am not going to be able to deal with.

"Right now, we are merely co-workers, and that's it," he added.

Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards in a loss to Philadelphia on Sunday. It was a key division game for the Cowboys and a personal revenge game for Owens after the Eagles dumped him midway through last season.

TV cameras showed Owens screaming at Haley -- who also carries the title "passing game coordinator" -- on the sideline during the game. Although teammates said some of his rants were encouragement, Owens admitted saying, "Why am I here?" about his limited action. Coach Bill Parcells later noted that 13 balls were thrown to Owens, five more than anyone else; two were intercepted and one was dropped.

The confrontation between receiver and coach occurred Wednesday, the first time the Cowboys were back on the practice field. A strength coach was sent to get Owens when he was absent.

"By the time I step on the field, Todd starts cursing at me, this and that, and I'm like, 'Dude, I was in the restroom,"' Owens said. "He said, 'I don't [care] what you were doing. Everybody else is out here."'

Owens said he didn't respond, although he later apologized to Parcells and was told, "All right, just try to get out here a little earlier."

Then Owens and Haley butted heads during a meeting.

"I was venting, he was venting," Owens said. "I felt it stayed behind closed doors.

"It's all about frustration. Everybody is still frustrated from the loss on Sunday. At some point, we had our time to vent on Monday, Tuesday and have that bad taste that sick feeling out of your mouth. On Wednesday, it's a new day. It's a new game plan, a new team that we're getting prepared for. That's where our focus and direction should be. But obviously Todd, he's been frustrated, and he's taking it out on other people."

Parcells does not allow assistant coaches to talk to reporters. Team officials did not immediately return calls. Parcells said Thursday and Friday he wasn't talking about Owens. Asked why, he said Thursday: "I'm tired of it."

Dallas plays Houston at home Sunday.

Owens has a history of not getting along with coaches, from his position coach to the offensive coordinator to the head coach. It led to his dismissal from San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Although Owens has missed most of the preseason with a hamstring and had a highly publicized accidental overdose, he insists that he's been on his best behavior in his first season in Dallas.

"I know in the back of people's minds they are waiting for something to happen," said Owens, in the first year of a three-year, $25 million contract with the Cowboys. "I have made a conscious effort not to go down those roads again."

Owens made it clear that he'll still listen to Haley, but their discussions must be limited to Xs and Os.

"In business, you have people that work together and don't necessarily get along together," he said. Owens said "anything is fixable," but he feels his trust in Haley "is being violated."

"I will have a hard time [trusting him] here on out," Owens said.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

oh well...this could be the beginning of the end of his career. because if this ends up badly, no other team is going to take a chance on him.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

wahoo!! st . louis is making the seacocks look really bad right now
Old 10-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by andyjl

Well, um...Seattle is ahead right now.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Drifting

WRONG!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Im watching the Giants play....
Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

The of the day for me is the Skins-Titans game.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Drifting

I want some of what your smokin!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Im watching the Giants play....
Is it that both D's are that lousy or is it that Dunn and Barber are that good...?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Go Giants

Is it that both D's are that lousy or is it that Dunn and Barber are that good...?
Barber is pretty damn good...
Old 10-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Barber is pretty damn good...
We'll see how good he is when your Giants play Da Bears.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Barber is one of the most under-rated players in the league.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by wstevens
Barber is one of the most under-rated players in the league.
He has a lot of damage control to restore after his fumble season 2 years back...
Old 10-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

The other of the day: Cincinnati.

OUCH. What a to Scottgal's team...!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

BTW, did Royboy guarantee today's win against the Bills...? Cuz, if he did, he's not bad when it comes to predicting reality...1 for 6 is not a bad stat.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

And sorry...but, I must also comment on my third of the day...How can the most dominate D evar in the history of the NFL/planet/solar system/universe let Delhomme pass for 365 yards against them...?

Old 10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Brunell needs to go

That last INT was a complete CHOKE! THROW THE BALL AWAY.... why would you throw to 1 WR who had 5 defenders on him?!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

UGAHHAHAHAHAHGHAHGAItyhqght[f;h[208957=09has[kdlfgnklbh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM

The other of the day: Cincinnati.

OUCH. What a to Scottgal's team...!

We all know that roughing the passer call on Justin Smith's sack on the final drive was complete bull shit. Who knows what woulda happend after that, but come on. I woulda been fine with the loss if it wasn't on such b.s. terms

But anyways, Baltimore lost so that made my day.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:59 PM

And can the Chefs just take a mercy loss at halftime?

And Santonio Holmes should stop returning punts (1 muff, 1 fumble) I think Mr. Jonesi will agree.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111
And can the Chefs just take a mercy loss at halftime?

And Santonio Holmes should stop returning punts (1 muff, 1 fumble) I think Mr. Jonesi will agree.
Well, this thrashing is still not yet as ugly as the one Da Bears laid onto the Bills last week...?

Actually, not even as ugly yet as the one Da Bears dropkicked onto the Seahawks either...

Just sayin'...
Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111
But anyways, Baltimore lost so that made my day.
Well, suddenly, I'm just hearing crickets from the Baltimore fans on here...
Old 10-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still waiting for btsilver to show up..

He didn't show up last week when they lost, I'm sure he'll hide for another week..

I love fair weather fans..
Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Brunell needs to go

That last INT was a complete CHOKE! THROW THE BALL AWAY.... why would you throw to 1 WR who had 5 defenders on him?!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

UGAHHAHAHAHAHGHAHGAItyhqght[f;h[208957=09has[kdlfgnklbh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick a fork in the Redskins. I dunno what happened to their defense. They are horrible.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, this thrashing is still not yet as ugly as the one Da Bears laid onto the Bills last week...?

Actually, not even as ugly yet as the one Da Bears dropkicked onto the Seahawks either...

Just sayin'...
Well, I now stand corrected. This is officially a worse beating than what Da Bears did to the Bills and Seahawks.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonesi

He didn't show up last week when they lost, I'm sure he'll hide for another week..

Mebbe he's too to post...?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Stick a fork in the Redskins. I dunno what happened to their defense. They are horrible.

Honestly... it's just pathetic...

What's the solution? Highest paid coaching staff... tons of supposed great play makers on the team. Where's the execution?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Honestly... it's just pathetic...

What's the solution? Highest paid coaching staff... tons of supposed great play makers on the team. Where's the execution?

Three problems
(1) Gibbs' over-the-top loyalty to Brunell
(2) Gregg Williams stubborn refusal to make adjustments to his defensive schemes when players aren't executing it well
(3) Al Saunder's 800-page offensive playbook that will probably take players more than 1 year to "get"
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesi

Well, I guess they keep things interesting around here.

Imagine if the Ravens lose to Cincy or Pitt, he won't show up for a month
Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM

Three problems
(1) Gibbs' over-the-top loyalty to Brunell
(2) Gregg Williams stubborn refusal to make adjustments to his defensive schemes when players aren't executing it well
(3) Al Saunder's 800-page offensive playbook that will probably take players more than 1 year to "get"

At least Moss looks pretty good this year. He gets my vote for best big-playmaker in the NFL.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

ravens are still in first place, last time i checked. Yeah they lost to 2 good teams. (denver and Carolina). Rolle and Reed were messing up the whole game. i dunno but Rolle might have lost a step.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by atsxdude
ravens are still in first place, last time i checked. Yeah they lost to 2 good teams. (denver and Carolina). Rolle and Reed were messing up the whole game. i dunno but Rolle might have lost a step.
I suppose. But, this boasted great D is sure choking at the wrong times.

Against the Broncos, Ray Lewis's vaunted/spectacular defense let Bell run on them when Denver was backed up deep in their own territory and everyone on the planet knew that Shanahan was gonna call run...And against Carolina, they let Delhomme throw a few miles worth despite everyone knowing where the ball was going.

Not trying to kick dirt in your face or any other Baltimore fans here...but, this team's in trouble if this continues next week.

Quick Reply: NFL Football Discussion Thread 2006 / 2007 Season