Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2010 Season News and Discussion Thread **Dallas Wins Title 4-2 (page 84)**

Old 12-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^Dr J was awesome. He had the best hands. He's forgotten too often in conversations about great players.

My favorite from him was the 'rock the baby to sleep' dunk over Michael Cooper. If they had sportscenter back then, he'd probably get better recognition.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YwY_tFSrWw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YwY_tFSrWw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Nice, but I still think this is better:
you just compare blake griffin to Dr. J? haha. I love the recognition he's getting already.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
^^Dr J was awesome. He had the best hands. He's forgotten too often in conversations about great players.

My favorite from him was the 'rock the baby to sleep' dunk over Michael Cooper. If they had sportscenter back then, he'd probably get better recognition.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YwY_tFSrWw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YwY_tFSrWw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Well believe it or not Sportcenter was around back then it started in 1979 but cable wasn't as popular back then as it is now so it was'nt as mainstream as it is today.

That dunk is an absolute classic! I remember when that dunk happened everyone that I knew that could dunk was trying to do it at the time.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:27 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by Osamu
you just compare blake griffin to Dr. J? haha. I love the recognition he's getting already.
Blake Griffin is special and if he's smart when his contract is up he should use his hops to jump as far from the Clippers as he can.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts

Magic trade for Gilbert Arenas

The Orlando Magic capped a blockbuster day of wheeling and dealing by trading one franchise cornerstone for another, sending Rashard Lewis to the Washington Wizards for Gilbert Arenas, team sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard on Saturday.

That trade followed news of a deal that sent Vince Carter to the Phoenix Suns in a multiplayer deal that returns Hedo Turkoglu to the Magic.

Lewis for Arenas

The Magic, losers of five of their last six games, also get Jason Richardson and Earl Clark from the Suns in exchange for Carter, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, a 2011 first-round pick and cash considerations, sources said.

The Arenas-Lewis deal doesn't include other pieces, the sources told Broussard.

The Magic and Wizards had been discussing a deal involving Arenas off and on since last summer.

Arenas and the Wizards have been open to parting ways since Washington landed point guard John Wall with the No. 1 pick and thereby providing a new face for the franchise.

Pietrus
Gortat
Carter

Arenas was suspended last season for the final 50 games by commissioner David Stern after a locker room incident involving gun play with former teammate Javaris Crittenton came to light last Dec. 23.

The Magic used lucrative pieces to close both deals, including Carter's expiring contract and Lewis' deal, which has 2½ years remaining on the original $118 million, six-year deal. It lines up with Arenas' backloaded contract -- which still has about $60 million left.

Clark
Clark
Richardson
Turkoglu
Arenas was at Washington's morning shootaround but did not speak to reporters.

Magic president Otis Smith has been a close friend and mentor to the Arenas going back to their days together at Golden State, when Smith was in the front-office and Arenas was a young player. Smith has said in the past that Arenas' troubles, which, in addition to last year's 50-game suspension, included faking an injury to sit out a preseason game this year, are not a concern.

"The length of his contract and health probably have been more of my concerns," Smith told The Associated Press early Saturday. "With the length of his contract, you're always concerned about taking on more, of course. That's always been one of my concerns. I know a little bit more detail about Gilbert off the court and who he is as a person.

"He's probably similar to the guys we have in the locker room right now. I would say that sometimes good people make dumb decisions, and he's one of those guys."

Arenas, a three-time All Star, has had several knee problems that limited him to 47 games over the previous three seasons. But while playing alongside -- and often behind -- Wall this season, Arenas has showed flashes of his old self.

He has averaged 17.3 points and 5.6 assists per game this season, including a season-high 31 points in a loss against the Magic on Nov. 27. The Magic have made strong pushes to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony and New Orleans' Chris Paul, but with those talks showing little progress, they might be forced to make another move.

Orlando has lost five of its last six games, including a frustrating 1-3 West Coast trip, falling from first to fourth in the Eastern Conference. The Magic were set to host Philadelphia on Saturday night, and Washington was hosting Miami.

"I circled the West Coast trip on our schedule a long time ago," Smith said. "The West Coast trip, to me, was going to decide whether or not we're going to either fix our woes or continue down the same path. I don't think we've played particularly well leading up to the West Coast trip. So, we were on the West Coast trip and some of our woes continued, so you start to explore opportunities that are out there."

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher and The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Drifting

dang just read that too. Orlando taking a pretty big risk here, just reshaped almost their whole roster mid season?
Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by clpassenubye
Blake Griffin is special and if he's smart when his contract is up he should use his hops to jump as far from the Clippers as he can.
hater. Clippers just have to start winning by the time his contract is up. I think they have the pieces to do it. A lot of clipper fans are already saying though if Blake jumps ship, they might have to jump ship with him.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,879 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Nice, but I still think this is better
Yes, but my "Wow!" wasn't so much just the play but it's the fact that it was of a Clippers' player
Old 12-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

dang just read that too. Orlando taking a pretty big risk here, just reshaped almost their whole roster mid season?
yea seriously. this will be interesting.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

I agree but I could definitely see why the Magic wanted to get rid of Carter and Lewis both have been underachieving for too long. Hedo knows their system so he should fit in and Arenas is a competitor so I don't think he'll have a problem either.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

If there wasn't enough attention on Florida basketball already...

Don't know what this does for the Suns. I heard grumblings about trading Nash or Nash being upset with how management wasn't doing things to make them into a contender.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Well believe it or not Sportcenter was around back then it started in 1979 but cable wasn't as popular back then as it is now so it was'nt as mainstream as it is today.

That dunk is an absolute classic! I remember when that dunk happened everyone that I knew that could dunk was trying to do it at the time.
:Werd: Even as a Laker fan, that was pretty freakin sweet. He seemed to dunk on Kareem alot.

ESPN was around, but I don't think we got it here on the west coast. It wasn't on my SelecTV or OnTV (which was only 1 channel anyways).
Senior Moderator

If there wasn't enough attention on Florida basketball already...

Don't know what this does for the Suns. I heard grumblings about trading Nash or Nash being upset with how management wasn't doing things to make them into a contender.
probably taking expiring contracts or so to rebuild.
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

hater. Clippers just have to start winning by the time his contract is up. I think they have the pieces to do it. A lot of clipper fans are already saying though if Blake jumps ship, they might have to jump ship with him.
Well you better get ready to jump because one or two good players can't do it by themselves and knowing the Clippers history with very talented players I don't think he will stay the Clippers are just a showcase.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

:Werd: Even as a Laker fan, that was pretty freakin sweet. He seemed to dunk on Kareem alot.

ESPN was around, but I don't think we got it here on the west coast. It wasn't on my SelecTV or OnTV (which was only 1 channel anyways).
I starting getting cable in 1980 and I remember watching Espn back then but it wasn't nearly as interesting all the time like it is now. I'm in L.A. so it was here on the West Coast.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by asianspec
probably taking expiring contracts or so to rebuild.
Yup
Old 12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Well you better get ready to jump because one or two good players can't do it by themselves and knowing the Clippers history with very talented players I don't think he will stay the Clippers are just a showcase.
I hate the "it's the clippers, so they're going to suck" mentality. Maybe half of their appeal to me is the underdog mentality, so in some sick way, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if they became a legitimately good team.

I don't know what's up with their history though. Looking back on it, I honestly don't think they made too many mistakes (besides korolev). I don't think they ever drafted that poorly, I guess they never got that lucky either, but most of the guys they missed, so did a lot of other teams. I don't think they lost any super talented guys to FA either. I mean in recent memory, who was worth really making max offers to keep around? Miles? QRich? Odom? Brand? I wish I knew how to right the ship, but I think Griffin is arguably the best player the clips have come across in their history (through 30% his rookie season at least ) So maybe i'll just judge them differently from this point forward.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
wow!! what a comeback by Miami heat. I don't Washington gave it away for Miami or what, but that is some crazy comeback.

Miami was down 5 32 secs to go and came to back to win it by 1pt.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

holy shit that game.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM
mmmmmm....

I didn't get to catch the game until last min of the game.. I thought this was going to be blow out game... Miami got lucky on this on.

I'm glad that Miami won tonight because they got tough road trip coming up... They shouldn't lose to team like Washington.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 PM
mmmmmm....

I think the key play was by Bosh making 3 and J. Jones for steal.

What a way to step it up.. I'm sure Lebron is happy that someone else besides him to step their game to finish it. This is one of luxury of having 3 different all star players.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

man, i was getting pissed at lebron with all the airballs he shot. no box-outs, alot of missed assignments. i agree it was pure luck that game
Old 12-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I shoot people

first time really watching the Clippers play... I really think this team has potentials... but they always seem to choke in the 4th quarter
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by is300eater
first time really watching the Clippers play... I really think this team has potentials... but they always seem to choke in the 4th quarter
I guess missed the our conversation about clippers... Clippers always had "potentials" for past how many years?? they never made it.

Even with all that talents, they are what? 6-21. yikes! They just need to learn how to play together.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
I guess missed the our conversation about clippers... Clippers always had "potentials" for past how many years?? they never made it.

Even with all that talents, they are what? 6-21. yikes! They just need to learn how to play together.
yeah, I don't always follow this thread...

they were up by 12 earlier, the Bulls are slowing closing the gap with about 7 minutes left

Blake Griffin is pretty damn awesome... I just hope the Clippers keep him
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I shoot people

for once the luck went Clippers' way!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Drifting

for once the luck went Clippers' way!
YAHHHHHh

wow. feel bad for rose though. He did everything for them, but hit one free throw.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 PM
mmmmmm....

@ bulls
Old 12-18-2010, 10:01 PM
I shoot people

their 7 games winning streak ended by the Clippers lol
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 PM
mmmmmm....

their 7 games winning streak ended by the Clippers lol
I like... Keep them away from Miami and Boston.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

@ bulls
:ibyummy:
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 PM
mmmmmm....

Okay, who would benefit more from 3 way trade?? Magic? Suns? or Washington?

Magic obviously wasn't happy with the way things were going with Lewis and Vince combo, so getting Arena would benefit them better?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 PM
mmmmmm....

:ibyummy:
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Okay, who would benefit more from 3 way trade?? Magic? Suns? or Washington?

Magic obviously wasn't happy with the way things were going with Lewis and Vince combo, so getting Arena would benefit them better?
wasn't really a 3-way, but i think this was an "all in" move for the Magic. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't work out at all for them, but i think they got the most "talented" players in the trades. They just need to hope they work together. I think it was pretty obvious they weren't going to win a championship as constructed, so this is either going to work great or fail completely. Seems like losing Gortat and Lewis though, they suddenly got really small. They had the most success w/ lewis at the 4, and traded their only true backup Center. I wouldn't be surprised to see another move for some size. I'm not sure you can win a championship with your only big men besides howard as Bass, Malik Allen, Ryan Anderson, and Earl Clark. Has Orton developed at all where they think he can come back to the NBA and contribute? I haven't seen much of clark, but thought he'd be pretty good coming out of college. I hope he gets more burn with orlando than he did w/ phoenix.

Overall, I like the trade for Washington. They were able to shed some long term salary, and get a player that rounds out their lineup better. Josh Howard in his first game back actually played pretty well, but really they needed a SF. Either way, Arenas was not part of the plan, so there was really no point in keeping him around.

I don't know about phoenix, they still have too many SFs... even VC seems more like a 3 these days. Hedo was playing at the 4, so they lost depth there. Odd to see them trying for a more traditional lineup. With Gortat and Lopez they actually have a true center rotation, and might shift frye over to the 4 spot. But i mean their 2-4 spots still all seem like natural small forwards, Hill, Warrick, Dudley, Childress, Carter, Pietrus...
Old 12-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,790 Likes on 13,975 Posts
Did Da Bulls just lose to the...Clippers?!?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
if it makes you happy. we ALMOST lost to Washington.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,790 Likes on 13,975 Posts
if it makes you happy. we ALMOST lost to Washington.
No, it does not make me feel better.

The Bulls need to show a bit more jump with Noah out of the line-up...they came out flat...and if it were not for D-Rose again, it would not have been close.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 AM
mmmmmm....

Is me or every team in east coast are trying to match up to Miami ? lol
Old 12-19-2010, 02:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yumcha
the bulls actually have a pretty bad record against the clips. At least in the post-jordan era. Got swept last season, although that's when you had the terrible VDN as a coach
Old 12-19-2010, 03:09 AM
I shoot people

the bulls actually have a pretty bad record against the clips. At least in the post-jordan era. Got swept last season, although that's when you had the terrible VDN as a coach
the irony lol

Quick Reply: NBA: 2010 Season News and Discussion Thread **Dallas Wins Title 4-2 (page 84)**