Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season

Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Wow...ouch. Just the setup man...

Well, if you look at the stats, both teams have near identical batting averages and ERA (with your Yanks slightly better @ .2ish lower). IMO, the ChiSox played in a much harder division too. So, perhaps the teams are quite evenly matched up after all...

That being said, if you said our setup man scared you, no one on the Yanks pitching lineup scares me to be honest. No one in the rotation is heads over heels better than what the ChiSox can roll out to counter.

Johnson vs. Contreras = tossup
Mussina vs. Beurhle = tossup
Wang vs. Garland = tossup
Wright vs. Garcia = Garcia
Who??! vs. Vazquez = Vazquez

and
Now we all know that the Yanks staff is mediocre but the White Sox haven't been doing anything this year.I agree with everything except Garcia & Vazquez they both suck and give up homeruns like no tomorrow. As soon as they learn not to pitch to Konerko & Dye with men in scoring position and to pitch Crede away it will be a lovely day.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I'm gonna start a argument, here's my chart for what we all know the season result is gonna be this year

Delgado vs. Giambi=Delgado
Valentine vs. Cano= Cano (but barely)
Wright vs. Arod= Wright
Reyes vs. Jeter= Reyes
LoDuca vs. Posada=Posada
Beltran vs. Damon=Beltran
Floyd vs. Abreu=Abreu
Green vs. Matsui= Matsui
P vs. P= Mets

Looks like Mets 5, Yankees 4
In the NL park, the Mets are the better team because they will have to sit either Sheff or Giambi and bat a pitcher. I gave the win to the Mets pitcher because they get more hitting experiance (bunts, sacrafices, chop swings).

In the AL park it's a different story, the Mets will have to rely on their pitching which I think is more solid all around than the Yanks staff. And you can't even compare the Yanks bullpen to the Mets...Wagner, Heilman, and Mota are lights out.
I would take Jeter over anyone in the major leagues, period.

And we've already seen Mets vs. Yankees this year. How about Twins vs. Mets?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:50 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
I would take Jeter over anyone in the major leagues, period.

And we've already seen Mets vs. Yankees this year. How about Twins vs. Mets?
Well, Jeter is great, and that was a tough decision. I still take Reyes, the kid is a firecracker. He just starts things up. Puts great swings on the ball, double are triples for him. If he gets on it's an automatic double. Jeter is a basehit machine and a great leader/winner, but in terms of talent, i'm going with Reyes.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Well, Jeter is great, and that was a tough decision. I still take Reyes, the kid is a firecracker. He just starts things up. Puts great swings on the ball, double are triples for him. If he gets on it's an automatic double. Jeter is a basehit machine and a great leader/winner, but in terms of talent, i'm going with Reyes.

Okay...I suspect team loyalty and bias has something to do with this. Sure, you gave your justification, but Jeter is still my choice hands down. His leadership and defense should not be discounted. Sure, Reyes probably has a higher ceiling offensively...but, even that is arguable esp. when comparing against Jeter.

Now, perhaps the bigger question is, if we placed A-Wad back into SS, would you pick him or Reyes?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:03 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Yumchah

Okay...I suspect team loyalty and bias has something to do with this. Sure, you gave your justification, but Jeter is still my choice hands down. His leadership and defense should not be discounted. Sure, Reyes probably has a higher ceiling offensively...but, even that is arguable esp. when comparing against Jeter.

Now, perhaps the bigger question is, if we placed A-Wad back into SS, would you pick him or Reyes?
Def,

Reyes>Jeter>Arod

And BTW, Reyes is no defensive slouch, .973 fielding percentage compared to Jeter's .976. Sure, Jeter has the leadership qualities, but that's not Reyes' role. Glavine, Delgado, Julio Franco are there for leadership roles.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna start a argument, here's my chart for what we all know the season result is gonna be this year

Delgado vs. Giambi=Delgado
Wright vs. Arod= Wright
Reyes vs. Jeter= Reyes
LoDuca vs. Posada=Posada
Floyd vs. Abreu=Abreu
Green vs. Matsui= Matsui
P vs. P= Mets

Looks like Mets 5, Yankees 4
In the NL park, the Mets are the better team because they will have to sit either Sheff or Giambi and bat a pitcher. I gave the win to the Mets pitcher because they get more hitting experiance (bunts, sacrafices, chop swings).

In the AL park it's a different story, the Mets will have to rely on their pitching which I think is more solid all around than the Yanks staff. And you can't even compare the Yanks bullpen to the Mets...Wagner, Heilman, and Mota are lights out.
Delgado vs. Giambi=Giambi when he gets healthy
Wright vs. Arod= Wright
Reyes vs. Jeter= Jeter
LoDuca vs. Posada=Posada
Floyd vs. Abreu=Abreu
Green vs. Matsui= Matsui
P vs. P= Yanks

Wang/Moose/Johnson/Wright vs. Pedro/Glavine/Duke/Trashsel.
I like the yanks starters (but im biased)

As per bullpen
Mo, Farnsworth, Proctor, vs. Wagner, Heilman, and Mota
We've seen what Wagner can do to the Yanks
Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chr8808
Delgado vs. Giambi=Giambi when he starts using MORE flaxseed oil

Fixed.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Chr8808
Delgado vs. Giambi=Giambi when he gets healthy
Wright vs. Arod= Wright
Reyes vs. Jeter= Jeter
LoDuca vs. Posada=Posada
Floyd vs. Abreu=Abreu
Green vs. Matsui= Matsui
P vs. P= Yanks

Wang/Moose/Johnson/Wright vs. Pedro/Glavine/Duke/Trashsel.
I like the yanks starters (but im biased)

As per bullpen
Mo, Farnsworth, Proctor, vs. Wagner, Heilman, and Mota
We've seen what Wagner can do to the Yanks
No way, Delgado is flat out putting up better numbers this year. Delgado is leading Giambi in: Hits, Runs, Doubles, Triples, HR's, Avg.

How can you say you would rather have an AL pitcher at the plate than a NL pitcher?

Mo has had his share of blowups in the playoffs recently, he's not automatic anymore like 98. Still great, but not like he used to be, he's about on par with Wagner now.

And you can't tell me Farnsworth/Proctor>Heilman/Mota
Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

No way, Delgado is flat out putting up better numbers this year. Delgado is leading Giambi in: Hits, Runs, Doubles, Triples, HR's, Avg.

How can you say you would rather have an AL pitcher at the plate than a NL pitcher?

And you can't tell me Farnsworth/Proctor>Heilman/Mota
I dont watch the Mets much, but compaing Delgado/Giambi, their numbers are pretty identical even though Delgado has +60 ABs, +2runs/+2hrs/-2rbis, but the main thing is, the walks and how Giambi works the count (that adds so much to the Yankee lineup). Thats the biggest + factor for him. I think Delgado used to kil the Yankees too when he was in Tor.

And i didnt realize you were ranking them (pitchers for batting) . i'd go NL too.

Proctor is pretty much autoamtic nowadays. I think he will be Mo of 97 in this years playoffs. Cant really say anything for Heil/mota since i ahvent seen em
Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered Abuser

Def,

Reyes>Jeter>Arod

And BTW, Reyes is no defensive slouch, .973 fielding percentage compared to Jeter's .976. Sure, Jeter has the leadership qualities, but that's not Reyes' role. Glavine, Delgado, Julio Franco are there for leadership roles.
Not for nothing, but I'm getting tired of hearing about Jeter's overblown leadership qualities. Last I checked he hasn't won a title in 5 years. And with the exeption of the 2000 WS, most of those titles were won off the leadership of Paul O'Niel, Tino and Bernie....not to mention the clutch pitching of Mariano. I know Jeter is a great player, but what makes him such a better leader than anyone else?

BTW - I would take Reyes over Jeter anyday....
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Sometimes I think you are high! Jeter is a consistent hitter, fielder, and leader, Reyes has not even reached Jeter's level yet, I'm sure he'll be there someday but at this point in his very short career no way. Reyes has not put in time yet to be compared to a future hall of famer.

Delgado vs. Giambi=Toss up they are both clutch this year
Valentine vs. Cano= Cano
Wright vs. Arod= Pre allstar game Wright Post All star game A-Rod
Reyes vs. Jeter= Jeter
LoDuca vs. Posada=Posada
Floyd vs. Abreu=Abreu
Green vs. Matsui= Matsui is only DH so either Cabrera or Williams
P vs. P= Toss up neither staff is all that

Last edited by CL Platano; 09-15-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by TLofNYC
Not for nothing, but I'm getting tired of hearing about Jeter's overblown leadership qualities. Last I checked he hasn't won a title in 5 years. And with the exeption of the 2000 WS, most of those titles were won off the leadership of Paul O'Niel, Tino and Bernie....not to mention the clutch pitching of Mariano. I know Jeter is a great player, but what makes him such a better leader than anyone else?

How many titles has Reyes won? What has he done yet?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what I know about Jeter when the Twins play the Yankees: When he grounds a single up the middle or through the hole to right, he seems to come around to score EVERY time. When a grounder is hit anywhere near short in a close game, he makes the play EVERY time. When he goes 0-for-4, the Twins win.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:15 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was an article in Sports Illustrated a couple few years ago (while Tino was with the cardinals)... It was an interview with the four remaining yankees from the title years (Posada, Mariano, Bernie, and Jeter). In that article, each one of the other three acknowledged and praised the leadership (mostly by example) of Jeter. And I'll take their word over yours any day.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Here's what I know about Jeter when the Twins play the Yankees: When he grounds a single up the middle or through the hole to right, he seems to come around to score EVERY time. When a grounder is hit anywhere near short in a close game, he makes the play EVERY time. When he goes 0-for-4, the Twins win.
Hmmm...perhaps. But, it's also highly attributed to how A-Wad probably grounded into 4 DPs in the game too.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Sometimes I think you are high! Jeter is a consistent hitter, fielder, and leader, Reyes has not even reached Jeter's level yet, I'm sure he'll be there someday but at this point in his very short career no way. Reyes has not put in time yet to be compared to a future hall of famer.

Delgado vs. Giambi=Toss up they are both clutch this year
Valentine vs. Cano= Cano
Wright vs. Arod= Pre allstar game Wright Post All star game A-Rod
Reyes vs. Jeter= Jeter
LoDuca vs. Posada=Posada
Floyd vs. Abreu=Abreu
Green vs. Matsui= Matsui is only DH so either Cabrera or Williams
P vs. P= Toss up neither staff is all that
Dude, what are you talking about????

So by your logic, you would rather have Luis Gonzalez in right field than Abreu because Gonzo has accomplished more in his career? Of course Reyes has done as much as Reyes yet, he is 22 friggen years old.

Reyes is having a better offensive year than Jeter is, there is much more to offense than just hits. Reyes is besting Jeter in Runs, Triples, SB's, and HR's. He's a leadoff hitter so RBI #'s are gonna always be low. And Reyes strikes out less.

Reyes is just as consistant of a fielder as Jeter without being a showoff....coughJetercough. Jeters FP is .976, Reyes is .973, Jeter has made 13 errors this year, Reyes has made 15. Pretty close IMO...

I'll give Jeter his leadership qualities, but again, that isn't Reyes' role. The Mets have other players for leadership. Who are the other leaders on the Yanks? Arod? Sheffield? Once Bernie is gone you have a ship full have rats.

You guys put Jeter on such a pedistal, he's a great ballplayer, but he's not the greatest player of all time.

And please go back and re-read about my pitching choices and why I chose them.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered Abuser

By me saying I would rather have Reyes over Jeter doesn't mean I'm saying he is a better leader. I would rather have Reyes because he is one of the most versitle players in the game.....

Like I said.....those titles were won by Tino, Bernie, Paul, Mariano....Jeter walked into a great situation....He is a great player, but my question is what makes him the greatest leader in the game? And if titles equals leadership, than who was Jeter leading if everyone on those teams had a fist full of rings.....wouldn't they all be leaders too??
Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM
My Garage

That's another thing...

CHAMPIONSHIPS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A GREAT PLAYER...

especially in a sport like baseball.

And you wanna know what Reyes has done in his short career. He is gonna shatter the Mets record for OPS. And he could break the Mets SB record this year if he picks the pace slightly

He is on pace to hit 20 doubles, 20 triples, and 20 HR's. Who was the last player in the NL to do that?

A guy by the name of Willie Mays

And Reyes would be the youngest player in history to do it.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 PM
My Garage

PS...I love these arguments
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
My Work is Done Here

Reyes is having a better offensive year than Jeter is, there is much more to offense than just hits. Reyes is besting Jeter in Runs, Triples, SB's, and HR's. He's a leadoff hitter so RBI #'s are gonna always be low. And Reyes strikes out less.
First of all, triples and homers are factored into a statistic called Slugging percentage. There is a stat called OPS, which is takes into account both on base percentage and slugging percentage for the specific purpose of giving a more comprehensive idea a players offensive ability. Jeter's OPS = .911; Reyes OPS = .846. Given that Stolen Bases rely more on management style than offensive production by the player, and Runs are not really in that players control, I'd say Jeter is having a better offensive year, along with a batting average 47 points higher than Reyes.

showoff....coughJetercough.
and this is just funny
Old 09-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Abuser

PS...I love these arguments
me 2
Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
and this is just funny
Seriously I :surrender ..neither one of them are making sense. I'm not a Mets fan but I do wish them well which I've said tons of times but to compare Reyes to Jeter is not logical.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:12 PM
My Garage

First of all, triples and homers are factored into a statistic called Slugging percentage. There is a stat called OPS, which is takes into account both on base percentage and slugging percentage for the specific purpose of giving a more comprehensive idea a players offensive ability. Jeter's OPS = .911; Reyes OPS = .846. Given that Stolen Bases rely more on management style than offensive production by the player, and Runs are not really in that players control, I'd say Jeter is having a better offensive year, along with a batting average 47 points higher than Reyes.

and this is just funny
Jeter's avg are a factor of how many hits he has, I gave Jeter credit for having more singles. Never said Reyes has more singles. Jeter also walks more, never said Reyes did, those are the reasons his slug % and obp are higher and the reason his ops is higher. I'll say it again, there is more to offense than hits.

SB's are not mangment style with a player like Reyes, he has a green light to steal when he wants to. It's all on him.

And runs are a factor of getting on base and smart baserunning.

It's not a blowout by any means...like I said, Jeter is great. But Jeter get single and an occasional double, and thats all he does. Reyes is a lot more diverse and can get a lot more done.

You still don't want to believeme? Check out both Yahoo and ESPN's player rankings for SS, both of them put Reyes above Jeter.

For the showoff comment, go back and think about Jeter when he first came into the league, I've never seen a player take as many dives as he did on routine ground balls. He has calmed down now with age, but it was rediculus when he was young.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered Abuser

You still don't want to believeme? Check out both Yahoo and ESPN's player rankings for SS, both of them put Reyes above Jeter.
I don't put much stock into what ESPN thinks. According to them Jeter's such a great leader he should be running the country......they also want you to belive that Liriano is the greatest pitcher to ever put on a pair of cleats..
Old 09-15-2006, 02:22 PM
My Garage

Seriously I :surrender ..neither one of them are making sense. I'm not a Mets fan but I do wish them well which I've said tons of times but to compare Reyes to Jeter is not logical.
Come on, don't back out a fall onto your "we are the Yankees, we don't have to compare ourselves to anyone" motiff.

It's a baseball argument, try not to get so serious
Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Registered Abuser

Come on, don't back out a fall onto your "we are the Yankees, we don't have to compare ourselves to anyone" motiff.

It's a baseball argument, try not to get so serious

....if you want me and you can still argue over who our favorite Met is...
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
My Garage

....if you want me and you can still argue over who our favorite Met is...

Endy Chavez
Old 09-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered Abuser

Endy Chavez

Michael Tucker.......
Old 09-15-2006, 02:55 PM
My Garage

Michael Tucker.......
Touche
Old 09-15-2006, 05:33 PM
My Work is Done Here

SB's are not mangment style with a player like Reyes, he has a green light to steal when he wants to. It's all on him.
who decides who gets the green light? Funny, I thought it was the manager. And Torre has never really been that kind of manager, even with Soriano, Torre kept him in check. very situational strategy with steals (usually).

And runs are a factor of getting on base and smart baserunning.
Runs depend more on your teammates than on the player running the bases. And for most of the year the Mets offense as a whole has been superior. I don't think anyone can use the number of runs as an accurate indicator of how smart someone is at running the bases. Furthermore, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find someone that is significantly smarter at baserunning than Jeter (or maybe even Reyes for that matter).

For the showoff comment, go back and think about Jeter when he first came into the league, I've never seen a player take as many dives as he did on routine ground balls. He has calmed down now with age, but it was rediculus when he was young.
Sorry, don't remember that.

Anyway, I think Reyes has a little more power and is a little faster than Jeter. But I'll take everything else Jeter does plus the intangibles over Reyes for now.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Alfonzo Soriano is one SB away from becoming the 4th player all time to reach the ultimate power and speed plateau.....40 homeruns and 40 stolenbases for a season.Previous member are in order Jose Canseco,Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
My Garage

who decides who gets the green light? Funny, I thought it was the manager. And Torre has never really been that kind of manager, even with Soriano, Torre kept him in check. very situational strategy with steals (usually).

Runs depend more on your teammates than on the player running the bases. And for most of the year the Mets offense as a whole has been superior. I don't think anyone can use the number of runs as an accurate indicator of how smart someone is at running the bases. Furthermore, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find someone that is significantly smarter at baserunning than Jeter (or maybe even Reyes for that matter).

Sorry, don't remember that.

Anyway, I think Reyes has a little more power and is a little faster than Jeter. But I'll take everything else Jeter does plus the intangibles over Reyes for now.
Come on man, you are just arguing semantics with me now

Of course the manager gives the green light to players, but he doesn't just give it to anyone. He gives to the players he feels don't need to be told when it is or isn't safe when to go. Making Reyes soley responsoble for the bases he steals, or a least a majority of them. And btw, IMO, Torre absolute blows as a manager. I could have managed that talent to the playoffs every year. He makes terrible decisions, it's the amazing talent that comes through for him that makes him look good.

If runs dpends so much on the teamates, why does Grady Sizmore lead the majors in runs? And why are Pujols, Utley, Soriano, Hanley Ramirez in the top 10 in runs in the majors? Great players, but who is driving them in? There is nobody great in those lineups besides Howard, Cabrera and Hafner.

So Reyes is faster and has more power, those intagables along with $2 will get you on a subway. That's fine with me. The difference between Jeter and Reyes is Jeter gets things done while Reyes makes things happen. Nothing wrong with either, i'd just rather had Reyes.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Abuser

The difference between Jeter and Reyes is Jeter gets things done while Reyes makes things happen. Nothing wrong with either, i'd just rather had Reyes.
Honestly its hard to compare these two players....Reyes is a great leadoff man, Jeter is great as a number 2 hitter, even though he leads off most of the time....
....Can you imagine how many runs Reyes would have with Jeter batting behind him....that we be a killer 1-2 punch..
Old 09-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Phesto
Alfonzo Soriano is one SB away from becoming the 4th player all time to reach the ultimate power and speed plateau.....40 homeruns and 40 stolenbases for a season.Previous member are in order Jose Canseco,Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.

...I don't count Jose, he was on roids when he did it. Thats what makes it even more special if Soriano does it.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM
My Work is Done Here

Come on man, you are just arguing semantics with me now

Of course the manager gives the green light to players, but he doesn't just give it to anyone. He gives to the players he feels don't need to be told when it is or isn't safe when to go. Making Reyes soley responsoble for the bases he steals, or a least a majority of them. And btw, IMO, Torre absolute blows as a manager. I could have managed that talent to the playoffs every year. He makes terrible decisions, it's the amazing talent that comes through for him that makes him look good.
Put Jeter with a manager who makes him solely responsible for the bases he steals and then you can compare them in that category. And I suppose Phil Jackson is horrible too, damn all that talent, and all those horrible decisions that cost him those championships in those years he didn't win with it. :shakehead

If runs dpends so much on the teamates, why does Grady Sizmore lead the majors in runs? And why are Pujols, Utley, Soriano, Hanley Ramirez in the top 10 in runs in the majors? Great players, but who is driving them in? There is nobody great in those lineups besides Howard, Cabrera and Hafner.
I don't care what other stars they have in their lineups, it's the offense as whole that matters, and the phillies and indians are 3rd and 4th in runs for the whole team. Bottom line is that their team produces runs. Plus I wouldn't even call the 10 run difference between Jeter and Reyes a material one. Why does this even matter?

So Reyes is faster and has more power, those intagables along with $2 will get you on a subway. That's fine with me. The difference between Jeter and Reyes is Jeter gets things done while Reyes makes things happen. Nothing wrong with either, i'd just rather had Reyes.
Power and speed aren't intangibles, but whatever. let me know when Reyes has his senior teammates pointing to him as a leader (by example) after winning a few championships.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

...I don't count Jose, he was on roids when he did it. Thats what makes it even more special if Soriano does it.
True.........what a year to have a career year though,you can hear the cash register "cha-ching"
Old 09-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
How do you know Bonds and even ARod weren't.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:07 AM
My Garage

Put Jeter with a manager who makes him solely responsible for the bases he steals and then you can compare them in that category. And I suppose Phil Jackson is horrible too, damn all that talent, and all those horrible decisions that cost him those championships in those years he didn't win with it. :shakehead

I don't care what other stars they have in their lineups, it's the offense as whole that matters, and the phillies and indians are 3rd and 4th in runs for the whole team. Bottom line is that their team produces runs. Plus I wouldn't even call the 10 run difference between Jeter and Reyes a material one. Why does this even matter?

Power and speed aren't intangibles, but whatever. let me know when Reyes has his senior teammates pointing to him as a leader (by example) after winning a few championships.
You know your arguments have become worthless when you start comparing other sports to eachother.

Ask yourself why the Indians are tops then get back to me, and consider the fact that the Indians are right above the Royals in the standings...

And dude, stop using the smiley in all your responses. Respond with something actual instead of a smiley to help pove your point. Your arguments are non sensical, and no amount of laughing smiley's can help them.

It matters because stats matter, once you realize that your precious Jeter isn't a God you will be better off. Everyone fails to mention the error that cost the Yankes the game that he committed in Beckets phenominal performace in the Florida Series, people just let that slide. People let slide Jeter's pathic performance in the series vs. the Diamondbacks too. Jeter is not infalable, believe it or not there will be players better than him.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. Joe Jackson himself can call Reyes a great leader, it won't factor into him being a better player. Jeter's Leadership skills + $2 will get you on a subway. How many worlds series have the Yanks won since Jeter has been the so called leader?

Don't blame Reyes for Torre being a horrible manager and not letting Jeter to steal bases. And even if he did give Jeter the green light, he would be embarrased compared to Reyes's baserunning ability (speed).

And one more thing, stop getting so stupidly serious, it's only baseball. Calm yourself down.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't blame Reyes for Torre being a horrible manager and not letting Jeter to steal bases. And even if he did give Jeter the green light, he would be embarrased compared to Reyes's baserunning ability (speed).

Jeter always has the go from Torre. He doesnt hold him. Torre has been quoted as saying he "trusts him to make the right decision as to when he runs" Right decison being that he "knows he will make it safe"
And both Jeter and Reyes have about the same % of success when attempting steals (80%) which is very good. Its just Reyes attempts (and gets caught) 3 times as much
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I dont think Jeter steals that much is because Abreu always gets him over anyway

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season