Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Really...why? Does Chicago REALLY need 2 teams. I need to give Jerry a call, don't I????
Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

I would love to see a Blackhawks vs. Penguins Stanley Cup. I don't think it's going to happen, but if it did, I would have a difficult time taking sides. I'd have to root for the Blackhawks, but the Penguins almost made it to Kansas City (allegedly/pipe dream!). Love the youth for both teams.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
I hate the Wings.
You must hate excellence then.

Kid Rock was sitting on the glass a few rows in front of me last night, I know your a big fan. Ain't no party like a Detroit part...
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci

Kid Rock was sitting on the glass a few rows in front of me last night, I know your a big fan. Ain't no party like a Detroit part...
If you ever have ticket you can't use, I just need like 5 hours lead time
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
If you ever have ticket you can't use, I just need like 5 hours lead time
Tee-hee, you must drive like dom. I've done the 401 to Toronto in less than four.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Unofficial Goat

Tee-hee, you must drive like dom. I've done the 401 to Toronto in less than four.
I normally do 3 ish, but during games the border is an hour wait minimum.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts

Excellence on a lifeless unemotional team...? Sure.

And yes, anyone who puts on that jersey equates to instant-hatred from my end. That includes Megan Fox. Just the way it is.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting article from some rag in Pittsburgh:

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's hard to say who are bigger hypocrites -- hockey people or hockey fans. The hypocrisy just drips off of every last one. • When one of yours takes out one of theirs with a hit ranging from borderline dirty to flagrantly criminal, it's a good, clean, hard hockey play. But when one of theirs puts the same hit on one of yours, the perp is a rotten lowlife who should be fined, suspended and maybe even banned for life from the NHL.

It would be comical if it weren't so sad.

The Penguins' Matt Cooke knocked the Carolina Hurricanes' Erik Cole out of Game 1 of their Stanley Cup playoff series Monday night with a knee-on-knee hit that brought back bad memories of Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin dropping Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar with a similar hit in the previous playoff round. The Penguins and their fans screamed about the Ovechkin play. Of course, they screamed. Defenseman Brooks Orpik accused Ovechkin of intentionally trying to hurt people, not just because of the Gonchar hit, but because of other runs Ovechkin has taken at Penguins. Cooke went so far as to say if he delivered such a blow, he would be suspended because, well, he's not Ovechkin and he isn't one of the brighter lights in the NHL galaxy.

Funny how quickly Cooke tested the league, isn't it?

Ovechkin wasn't even fined for his dirty hit and Cooke hadn't been for his as of yesterday, although it's possible the NHL could take some action today. If the league does, it won't be at all well-received in Pittsburgh. Cooke said he didn't mean it, didn't he? He said he was trying to avoid the collision. He said it was more Cole's fault.

That makes everything OK, right?

Please.

Didn't Ovechkin say the same things?

The same people who screamed about Ovechkin see nothing wrong with what Cooke did, even though he has a reputation for being something of a cheap-shot guy and even though this particular hit left Cole questionable not just for Game 2 tomorrow night at Mellon Arena, but for the rest of the series. Only the Carolina team and its fans were upset. "I just didn't like it," Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice said of Cooke's hit.

Not that Maurice has any right to complain.

Maybe Maurice spoke out publicly against one of his players, winger Scott Walker, sucker-punching Boston defenseman Aaron Ward in the previous playoff round, but, gee, I don't remember seeing that.

Hypocrites, all.

That would include your Penguins.

Sorry.

Really, the Penguins have no room to gripe, either. You saw forward Chris Kunitz's cross-check to the neck of Capitals goaltender Simeon Varlamov in the previous round? That was every bit as vicious as Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar, so brutal that Kunitz admitted he felt lucky that he wasn't suspended.

The NHL could stop all of the gratuitous stuff if it really wanted to do it. All it would have to do is stiffen its punishment. That would change the culture quickly.

But the league has no desire to do that.

The players don't appear to want tougher rules, their whining and griping about dirty hits notwithstanding. In their mind, playoff hockey means absolutely anything goes. That's why they consider it perfectly normal to shake hands with opponents after they just spent a series trying to gouge one another's eyes out.

Certainly, the majority of fans don't want harsher penalties. They love the extra rough stuff, even if it is outside of the rules ...

OK, they love it at least until one of their players gets hurt.

The fans also love the players who are the perpetrators -- as long as those players are on their team. As far as recent Penguins history goes, Jarkko Ruutu comes quickly to mind. Before him, there was Darius Kasparaitis.

And Ulf, of course.

In the early 1990s when the Penguins were winning Stanley Cups, defenseman Ulf Samuelsson was a cult hero here. He also was an openly filthy player. "The referees have their line," he once said of hockey rules. "I try to go right up to it, but, occasionally, I step over it."

One of those times was during the '91 playoffs when Samuelsson put a highly questionable leg-on-leg lick on Boston forward Cam Neely, prompting Neely to say he had no respect for Samuelsson.

A good, clean, hard hockey play, Penguins fans called it.

Jack Lambert on skates, they called Samuelsson with great respect and admiration.

But if Neely had hit Ron Francis, Jaromir Jagr or -- heaven forbid -- Mario Lemieux like that ...

It is worth saying one more time:

Hypocrites, all.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Article is bang on.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
Canes...

<-- not a bird either
I'm never going to live that one down
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

^ You do know that the Leafs are not birds either, right...?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
nnInn

Yeah, but don't Gwens fan think they walk on water?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Heh...just wait if a Cup lands in 'Burgh again then.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Yeah OK man
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

The Yotes (or Jets or whatever) will be much, much better off without Gretzky. He's a cancer to that team. He can't coach for shit. In fact, he can't do anything really well except skate and hit a rubber puck with a stick.

Oh, I guess he's also good at smiling, giving bland interviews, and doing TV commercials with retarded kids.

Beyond that, I don't see much brain capacity there. He doesn't really contribute much to society.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by wstevens
He doesn't really contribute much to society.
I thought his daughter was a rather useful contribution.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

It's raining hats, bitches
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jupitersolo

red text?

That article is spot on for every team in every professional league there is. Every fan wants calls their teams way and their players protected..

Don't play the holier than thou card.. please

I will cut you a little slack only b/c I feel a little hatred which is well deserved.. The more angry and bitter you are the better for Pens fans
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

This was a pretty good article also.. will like it It's a good read..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051303989.html

The good people of Halifax -- the Great White North, in general -- can breathe easy this morning. Their no-frills golden child -- the savior of Canadian hockey, the cutting rebuttal to all the new-fangled showmanship Alex Ovechkin has suddenly corrupted their sport with -- is moving on.

Sid the Kid's sublime two-goal, three-point performance, especially that breakaway score to ensure a Game 7 rout early in the third period, brought so many knowing grins of satisfaction to the gatekeepers of puck purity. But not as much as seeing a look-at-me Russian showboat in bright red lose and go home. To Moscow -- or Mexico, for all they care.

Queen's Land 6, KGB 2.

Penguins-Capitals was never merely about a tremendous Stanley Cup series showcasing the NHL's brightest stars going the distance, one full of riveting theater until an abject dud of a Game 7.

No, to the hard-core traditionalists who view most uber-skilled players from overseas as little more than Euro trash, this was about validating their xenophobia.

Sidney Crosby, the quiet farm boy from Nova Scotia, won; his Pittsburgh team is going back to the Eastern Conference finals. Ovechkin, the YouTube demigod who once pretended his stick was on fire after a goal, got his just dessert.

Just as Julius Erving vs. Larry Bird, or Bird-Magic, penetrated socially deeper than basketball, to disturbing levels of racial and civic pride, so too does the first postseason chapter of Crosby-Ovechkin encompass larger issues, places where no one wants to go.
ad_icon

After two top-flight organizations and the last two league MVPs dueled the past 10 days, inoculating Gary Bettman's product from any lingering post-lockout concerns over interest in this bang-bang, fast and furious sport that is so enrapturing in person, a good number of extremists on both sides won't let go of their positions or their misguided feelings about Crosby and Ovechkin.

They get their keyboard courage up and fire off ugly screeds into the Internet ether, saying why they feel Ovechkin should just take a run at Crosby and hurt him permanently or why Crosby represents all that is right and good about hockey and Ovie, in the sentiment expressed by a reckless 17-year-old last week, should just die.

Look, they play hockey; they don't extort pensions or send kids to war in faraway places. Crosby got the better of Ovechkin in the decisive game of an ultra-compelling series. That's it.

In the handshake line after such an anticlimactic end to a six-month thrill ride, Ovechkin found Sergei Gonchar, the Penguin with whom he violently collided with earlier in the series, and spoke with him for a long while, letting him know how sorry he was for hurting him.

And Crosby and Ovechkin eventually found each other at center ice, Crosby having not just gotten the better of his rival in a deciding game but taking charge like only a young captain and clutch player can.

That's right, clutch. After Game 2, it was written here that Ovie was a much better player under pressure, his speed and power superior to anything the more calculating Crosby could muster.

But having watched him up close for seven games, seeing his economy of movement outside the crease, his feistiness in the corners and his uncanny knack for delivering the puck perfectly for an on-rushing teammate, he gets the nod as a more important player in a seminal game at this juncture of his career.

A mea culpa is in order. No matter how good Ovechkin was the past week and a half, he wasn't as complete and versatile as Crosby was with the season in the balance. Sid the Kid has won seven playoff series and will soon play in his second Eastern Conference finals and possibly second Stanley Cup finals.

The Great Eight is awesome and the most original, organic and exciting player in the game. But in 21 riveting playoff games, his team is 1-2 in Game 7s, and last night the Capitals were at least a year away from their first Cup finals in the Ovechkin era.

That isn't some grand statement about what's better for the game -- old-school, roughhouse North Americans who grew up on frozen ponds or big-hitting, goal-scoring sensations from abroad.

It's just the truth after the most thorough, seize-the-moment night in Crosby's young, brilliant beginning. Ovechkin was a supernova in this series, but Sid the Kid was better.

They combined for an ungodly 27 points -- 16 goals and 11 assists -- in seven games. They went three overtimes and played five, scintillating one-goal games, going back and forth with haymakers, combining for a historic hat trick apiece in Game 2. Like children locked in a free-swinging pillow fight, the deal was one of them would have to drop before they quit.
ad_icon

When Ovie and the Capitals went down hard on the last night of their season to Crosby and a more playoff-hardened group of skaters and scorers, Sid the Kid had decisively won round one of hopefully many playoff scrums to come.

"Just being around him today, the look in his eyes, you could tell," said Eddie Johnston, 73, the former Penguins coach and now senior adviser for hockey operations. "It was game time."

Eddie of course said he would start a team with Crosby before anyone. It was hard to disagree after Game 7.

Simeon Varlamov, the Capitals' 21-year-old goalie, told Russian writers afterward he was surprised Crosby said, "Great series" to him in the handshake line, "considering he probably scored more goals against me than anyone in the playoffs. . . . For what he did in this series, they should build a monument for him."

Maybe the greatest praise came from Bruce Boudreau, the Washington coach and Ontario's own, who has seen a good Canadian player or two in his day:

"I always thought he was a great player, but I didn't know how great a player," said Boudreau, who had earlier in the series called Crosby the second-best player in hockey. "He's always on. He doesn't take time off."

Surely not last night in Washington, where Crosby essentially tucked the nation that invented the sport safely into bed. For the moment, their game was safe from that emotional interloper, celebrating his grand success in such an unCanadian way.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
It's raining hats, bitches
Meh, Kane scored a hatty against a better goalie.

Kane > Malkin...Yeah, I said it. YOU LIKE THAT?!??
Old 05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

And lastly Malkin is a BEAST..!

Thank you Chad LaRose for pissing him off..
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

and Semin said Kane was better than Crosby..
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonesi
and Semin said Kane was better than Crosby..
Semin's a smart guy.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

And lastly Malkin is a BEAST..!

Thank you Chad LaRose for pissing him off..
Pffft...that's nothing. Willie Mitchell said Kane is no good 5 on 5...and then Kane goes and scores a few.

NOTHING NEW. MOVE ALONG. Played out script. Lame. Re-run.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Pffft...that's nothing. Willie Mitchell said Kane is no good 5 on 5...and then Kane goes and scores a few.

NOTHING NEW. MOVE ALONG. Played out script. Lame. Re-run.

oh boy... I thought Toews was your mancrush?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

oh boy... I thought Toews was your mancrush?
Yeah, I do <3 Captain Serious tons and tons...

But, Hawks are not playing tonight and I gotta get my kicks somewhere.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Meh, Kane scored a hatty against a better goalie.

talk to me after he's the league's leading scorer... yeah..... at least obitchkin fans almost have an argument
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
talk to me after he's the league's leading scorer... yeah..... at least obitchkin fans almost have an argument
Well, I'm talking to you now. GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT PENGUIN-LIPS?!!?

Okay, where the eff are the Red Wings fans for me to flame...? Going after a non-playoff rival is no fun.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

So the Penguins won again tonight, huh? Wouldn't it be ironic if the Pens won the whole damn thing....and Hossa left Pittsburgh and wanted to go to the Red Wings to win the Cup----Hmmmmmm.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
So the Penguins won again tonight, huh? Wouldn't it be ironic if the Pens won the whole damn thing....and Hossa left Pittsburgh and wanted to go to the Red Wings to win the Cup----Hmmmmmm.
Well, put it this way, if the Dings do eliminate Da Hawks, I'll want nothing better than to watch Pittsburgh win the Cup...

And yeah, I'd rather watch 97Ackackackack and Stonedsi crow all year about their Pens than to see the Pink Stinks win another Cup.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Chuck Fletcher Named GM of Wild...

From TSN...

Chuck Fletcher will be the next general manager of the Minnesota Wild. The formal announcement will be made by the team on Friday.

Fletcher will replace Doug Risebrough, whose contract as president and general manager of the team was not renewed after the regular season ended. He is the son of longtime NHL executive and Hall of Fame member Cliff Fletcher.

Chuck Fletcher, 41, is currently the assistant GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported earlier this month that even though the Penguins are still active in the playoffs, they would not stand in the way if Fletcher was approached to take the job with the Wild.

TSN hockey analyst Pierre McGuire also interviewed for the GM's job with the Wild. The Minnesota Tribune reported that other strong candidates for the position included former Maple Leafs and Canucks general manager and head coach Pat Quinn, Nashville Predators assistant general manager Paul Fenton, and Tom Lynn, the acting general manager for the Wild.

Fletcher brings strong credentials to Minnesota. A Harvard graduate, he spent nine years in the front office of the Florida Panthers before joining the Anaheim Ducks. During his four years in Anaheim, Fletcher served in senior roles including director of hockey operations, assistant general manager, and vice president of amateur scouting and player development.

He was hired as assistant general manager to Pittsburgh's Ray Shero in July, 2006.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Good for the Wild.. But seriously he couldn't have waited until after the Playoffs?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Malkin's back hand goal was sick. Yo don't see such nice back hand goals too often.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

This was a pretty good article also.. will like it It's a good read..
It was a good read. But it doesn't have much to do with where Ovie's from. Actions speak louder than passports. But lets not get into this again.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Penguins
Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
nnInn

red text?

That article is spot on for every team in every professional league there is. Every fan wants calls their teams way and their players protected..

Don't play the holier than thou card.. please

I will cut you a little slack only b/c I feel a little hatred which is well deserved.. The more angry and bitter you are the better for Pens fans
The Gwens fans are the one's on this board whining about hits, I've done nothing but counterpoint their cries.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Man, I love the way Malkin plays. Awesome performance.

Most of the hockey writers and analysts debate whether Crosby or Ovie is "the best player in the world." Why doesn't Malkin ever creep into the conversation? Even the Pittsburgh fans here seem to think he's the best player on the team.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wstevens
Man, I love the way Malkin plays. Awesome performance.

Most of the hockey writers and analysts debate whether Crosby or Ovie is "the best player in the world." Why doesn't Malkin ever creep into the conversation? Even the Pittsburgh fans here seem to think he's the best player on the team.

He led the league in scoring basically without Sykora this year(aka no winger) and carries the team on his back like he did last year when Crosby was out for 2 months..
Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 AM

He led the league in scoring basically without Sykora this year(aka no winger) and carries the team on his back like he did last year when Crosby was out for 2 months..
He should be a shoe-in for the Hart.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread