Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

College Football: 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
UF is still capable of beating those teams.
Not unless Brantley improves, and Meyer takes away playcalling duties from your OC..
Old 10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bama v. Florida line was -8.5 Bama. The early Bama v. South Carolina line is -10 Bama.

I guess the final score will be 62 to 3. Well kinda doubt it.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Blackack106
The Bama v. Florida line was -8.5 Bama. The early Bama v. South Carolina line is -10 Bama.

I guess the final score will be 62 to 3. Well kinda doubt it.
Florida shit the bed against Alabama, and their offense was exposed. USCe should put up a bigger fight, especially with the game being at home.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Florida shit the bed against Alabama, and their offense was exposed. USCe should put up a bigger fight, especially with the game being at home.
It was a poor game, they might lose to LSU as a let down game, but Alabama has great defensive schemes, I wouldn't say their offense was exposed, I think it was a combination of a lot of factors.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Renegade
It was a poor game, they might lose to LSU as a let down game, but Alabama has great defensive schemes, I wouldn't say their offense was exposed, I think it was a combination of a lot of factors.
Exposed as in Trey Burton isn't the savior for your team. He had inflated #'s against Kentucky. Florida NEEDS a RB that can run between the tackles because without Tebow there is no threat of running the ball.

Brantley also made some bad decisions that cost Florida in the end. Alabama's defense is not good against the pass, and Florida did have success throwing the ball. They couldn't run the ball against Alabama's defense.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Florida will beat LSU at home.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Ohio State needed that type of game against Illinois. Hopefully wake them up a bit.

Disappointed Wisconsin lost and it looks like Iowa's loss to Arizona was a fluke. If the Buckeyes win out, there is little concern of Oregon/Boise State jumping them in the polls.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cmschmie
Ohio State needed that type of game against Illinois. Hopefully wake them up a bit.

Disappointed Wisconsin lost and it looks like Iowa's loss to Arizona was a fluke. If the Buckeyes win out, there is little concern of Oregon/Boise State jumping them in the polls.
I disagree. After watching the stomping Oregon put on my Cardinal and how they executed in coming back from a 21-3 1st quarter deficit I think that the Ducks and not the Buckeyes should be #2
Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
^
Old 10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Making it Happen

I agree, Oregon defense isnt very strong but their offense seems to be nearly unstoppable
Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
at this point in the season, i want to see an Oregon vs. Alabama NC.
that would be some high scoring shit

make it happen.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by surfer rick
I disagree. After watching the stomping Oregon put on my Cardinal and how they executed in coming back from a 21-3 1st quarter deficit I think that the Ducks and not the Buckeyes should be #2
I disagree, here are my reasons.
Arizona St. (2-3) handed Oregon the game.
2009/2010 Rose Bowl (Ohio State/Oregon are virtually the same as last year)

OSU lost some ground this weekend. If they play another team (i.e. Indiana, Purdue) close that they should blow out AND Oregon keeps winning like they are, then yes put Oregon ahead of Ohio State.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree, Oregon defense isnt very strong but their offense seems to be nearly unstoppable
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
at this point in the season, i want to see an Oregon vs. Alabama NC.
that would be some high scoring shit

make it happen.
Can't argue with the Oregon offense. They put up numbers like a PS3 game. Going for it on 4th and 1 and the onside kick were ballsy calls on primetime TV.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I disagree, here are my reasons.
Arizona St. (2-3) handed Oregon the game.
2009/2010 Rose Bowl (Ohio State/Oregon are virtually the same as last year)

OSU lost some ground this weekend. If they play another team (i.e. Indiana, Purdue) close that they should blow out AND Oregon keeps winning like they are, then yes put Oregon ahead of Ohio State.
Gimme a break. You're going to bring up last year?!?! Why don't I bring up how many times OSU skated into the NC and got their ass handed to them (2006-7, 2007-8)

Just don't make asinine comments like if OSU wins out they automatically get a NC bid. The season is only halfway through, anything can happen, and I would put money on Denard Robinson having the game of his life against your Buckeyes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Living the Dream

Come on now, no need to get your panties in a knot.

There are pollsters that will use last year as a gauge for this year's poll. Look at the pre-season poll.

I think it's very fair to think that if the Buckeyes win out (provided no more are ugly) it doesn't matter what Oregon does.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Come on now, no need to get your panties in a knot.

There are pollsters that will use last year as a gauge for this year's poll. Look at the pre-season poll.

I think it's very fair to think that if the Buckeyes win out (provided no more are ugly) it doesn't matter what Oregon does.
Sure, using your logic about last year as a gauge says what about this season's Florida and Texas teams?!? 2 completely different seasons, 2 completely different teams IMO.

Pac-10 is looking very solid this year. UCLA made a mockery of the Longhorns at home. Oregon looks ridiculously impressive so far, and if they and OSU both win out, it's not a given that the Buckeyes go to Glendale. They looked mediocre against a very mediocre Illinois team. Why don't you reserve judgement along with the rest of us until you make it out of Camp Randall let alone getting through your final 3 games unscathed.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Oregon is my number 2. They put 52 up on the #9 team, and I wonder if OSU could put up 52 on anyone not named Youngstown State. Just how it is.

And Alabama is going to make a lot o teams look like they shit the bed this year. They are several levels above everyone else.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Living the Dream

Sure, using your logic about last year as a gauge says what about this season's Florida and Texas teams?!? 2 completely different seasons, 2 completely different teams IMO.

Pac-10 is looking very solid this year. UCLA made a mockery of the Longhorns at home. Oregon looks ridiculously impressive so far, and if they and OSU both win out, it's not a given that the Buckeyes go to Glendale. They looked mediocre against a very mediocre Illinois team. Why don't you reserve judgement along with the rest of us until you make it out of Camp Randall let alone getting through your final 3 games unscathed.
*sigh*
The pre-season polls are typically based on the previous year's performance AND how many returning players (and the quality of those players) there are for a given team. It's obvious why Florida/Texas dropped and why Ohio State, Alabama, Boise State et al. moved up (or stayed in Alabama's case). Whether this is right or wrong is a whole other topic for discussion.

Oregon looked pretty mediocre against a mediocre Arizona State team. Before they beat Stanford they're "big" win was against Tennessee.

Looking at the schedules for both teams, I see a fairly even schedule. Maybe even slightly tilted towards Ohio State if Penn State can turn it around and Iowa/Michigan keep winning

FWIW I am not putting down anything that Oregon has done this year. Just don't jump them to #2 after one signature win.

Last edited by cmschmie; 10-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

*sigh*
The pre-season polls are typically based on the previous year's performance AND how many returning players (and the quality of those players) there are for a given team. It's obvious why Florida/Texas dropped and why Ohio State, Alabama, Boise State et al. moved up (or stayed in Alabama's case). Whether this is right or wrong is a whole other topic for discussion.

Oregon looked pretty mediocre against a mediocre Arizona State team. Before they beat Stanford they're "big" win was against Tennessee.

Looking at the schedules for both teams, I see a fairly even schedule. Maybe even slightly tilted towards Ohio State if Penn State can turn it around and Iowa/Michigan keep winning

FWIW I am not putting down anything that Oregon has done this year. Just don't jump them to #2 after one signature win.
I understand your point about the preseason polls. What I don't understand is why you are bringing up last year's Rose Bowl result when we are 5 weeks into the college football season. Are you insinuating that the present OSU squad is better than the current Oregon squad because of a matchup that happened 10 months ago?!?! That is beyond asinine and bordering on ignorant.

You are drinking too much of the Buckeye Kool-Aid after padding your sissy schedule with Marshall, Ohio and Eastern Michigan. Going head to head I would say Oregon's win over Stanford is far more impressive than your win over Miami, even more so with the way the Ducks came back and executed their offense to perfection from the 2nd quarter on. The win over Miami was respectable but I'll reserve my judgement on OSU until they get some reputable wins under their belt.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Living the Dream

I understand your point about the preseason polls. What I don't understand is why you are bringing up last year's Rose Bowl result when we are 5 weeks into the college football season. Are you insinuating that the present OSU squad is better than the current Oregon squad because of a matchup that happened 10 months ago?!?! That is beyond asinine and bordering on ignorant.

You are drinking too much of the Buckeye Kool-Aid after padding your sissy schedule with Marshall, Ohio and Eastern Michigan. Going head to head I would say Oregon's win over Stanford is far more impressive than your win over Miami, even more so with the way the Ducks came back and executed their offense to perfection from the 2nd quarter on. The win over Miami was respectable but I'll reserve my judgement on OSU until they get some reputable wins under their belt.
Are you insinuating that this year's Oregon squad is better than the Buckeyes because they came back against Stanford?
The reason I brought up the Rose Bowl is because the teams that played in that game are virtually the same this year and the Buckeyes won that game. I don't see how that is ignorant or asinine, I'm not gloating it. The pollsters are also going to look at it that way, don't bitch and moan at me about that.

I agree that a win over Stanford is a bit more impressive than a win over Miami, but the key words in there are "came back".

Like I said, if Ohio State plays Indiana close this weekend and Oregon blows out Washington State (though Indiana is miles better than Washington State) then please put Oregon at #2.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Living the Dream

It appears that Andy Staples agrees with y'all
SI Power Rankings
Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
The Dumb One

strength of schedule gets you moved up.. bottom line... i see boise dropping 1-2 more spots if a few other TOP 10 teams stay undefeated.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Living the Dream

So if Ohio State blows out Indiana and Oregon plays a close one with Washington State (yes I was laughing as I typed that) will you flip Oregon/Ohio State?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

It appears that Andy Staples agrees with y'all
SI Power Rankings
Meh, that's just one opinion. It's not fair for me to jump all over you, OSU is the defending Rose Bowl Champion and if they win out, will certainly be in the mix for the NC. I just took offense to the presumption that they control their own destiny, that the remaining FBS teams besides Bama and OSU are extraneous to the whole equation. I understand you weren't being arrogant and it's cool that you take pride in your alma mater same as the rest of us. I trained residency in Michigan so I know all about Big 10 football, trust me on that. Just keep an open mind that solid football is being played west of the Mississippi
Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
The Dumb One

Just keep an open mind that solid football is being played west of the Mississippi
not in baton rouge

Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Living the Dream

Meh, that's just one opinion. It's not fair for me to jump all over you, OSU is the defending Rose Bowl Champion and if they win out, will certainly be in the mix for the NC. I just took offense to the presumption that they control their own destiny, that the remaining FBS teams besides Bama and OSU are extraneous to the whole equation. I understand you weren't being arrogant and it's cool that you take pride in your alma mater same as the rest of us. I trained residency in Michigan so I know all about Big 10 football, trust me on that. Just keep an open mind that solid football is being played west of the Mississippi
Sadly it's not my alma mater, I am from Ohio (Army brat) and raised a Buckeyes fans. OSU was just a little too expensive for my and my parents' tastes.

I do keep an open mind about football outside Big Ten, I think our friends to the south need to realize there is solid football west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon as shown in 500 of the 506 posts in this thread.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
The Dumb One

I think our friends to the south need to realize there is solid football west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon as shown in 500 of the 506 posts in this thread.
hey! we are humble! we know TN, LSU, and and Vandy arent that great this year

uncalled for!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I mentioned Oregon.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

not in baton rouge

OMG LOL. I watched the end of that game. It was like Pee-Wee football. Les is on a short leash no doubt, what happened to the BCS winning coach from just a few years back? Only the 13 man penalty by the Vols could trump the ineptitude of that botched snap. That play will live in infamy in the annals of Tennessee football. Spike the ball for Crissake.

Sadly it's not my alma mater, I am from Ohio (Army brat) and raised a Buckeyes fans. OSU was just a little too expensive for my and my parents' tastes.

I do keep an open mind about football outside Big Ten, I think our friends to the south need to realize there is solid football west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon as shown in 500 of the 506 posts in this thread.
OK I take back being nice to you, I thought you were a OSU alum. A bunch of my boys went to Ann Arbor and my cousin is a Professor of Japanese Literature there so I retract my congeniality and give you

hey! we are humble! we know TN, LSU, and and Vandy arent that great this year

uncalled for!
LOL

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I mentioned Oregon.
For sure man, you and Rockstar are the exception rather than the norm in the "SEC rules the f-ckin world, no other conference compares, SEC, SEC, SEC!!!!!", cough...I mean "College Football" Thread
Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Something quirky is going on in Vegas. The line on Bama v. USCe has dropped from -10 to -6.5. That means alot of money has been poured into the Carolina bet.

After the Florida pasting, I cannot understand this line.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
The Dumb One

somebody gonna assassinate saban before the game?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Bent = #1

Something quirky is going on in Vegas. The line on Bama v. USCe has dropped from -10 to -6.5. That means alot of money has been poured into the Carolina bet.

After the Florida pasting, I cannot understand this line.
This game will be a lot closer than the Florida game. South Carolina has a good chance to win if they can take the lead early.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
This game will be a lot closer than the Florida game. South Carolina has a good chance to win if they can take the lead early.
I don't know what you're talking about, South Carolina surely doesn't have a "good" chance to win. Sure maybe they get lucky and win, but Alabama will match up their best corner on Jeffrey and shut down the run.

And yes it probably will be closer than the Florida game, but I still think UF beats south carolina this year
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Why is it always skill win UF pulls the upset and luck for SC?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Making it Happen

Why is it always skill win UF pulls the upset and luck for SC?
Because SC doesn't have as many skilled players end of story. Like I said, SC probably will have a closer game with Alabama, but let's see what happens when we play you guys this year.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Runs on Dunkin

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm pretty confident that OSU will win over Oregon. It should be a good game, as the games we have played so far have been far from exciting, with exception to the Miami game.

PS- I have two relatives that got a PhD and JD from Michigan and it doesn't stop me from being a big time Buckeyes fan :p
Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1slo23
I'm pretty confident that OSU will win over Oregon. It should be a good game, as the games we have played so far have been far from exciting, with exception to the Miami game.

PS- I have two relatives that got a PhD and JD from Michigan and it doesn't stop me from being a big time Buckeyes fan :p
Sure you live on Ohio. You're a UC alum right? I saw some big games in college, Stanford-Notre Dame, Bledsoe when he came down with WSU and put up ridiculous stats, games at the Rose Bowl but nothing compared to watching a game at the Big House. Tailgating from 8AM to 8PM is srs biznass and exhausting LOL. I never saw The Wave so well choreographed as at the Big House.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Runs on Dunkin

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Not an alum, still going there, lol. Part of me wishes I was OSU, but I save a lot of $$ commuting from home. I really can't wait for the Minnesota game, since one of my friends goes there.

edit: My first post made no sense, OSU isn't scheduled to play Oregon, wtf am I thinking
Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Bent = #1

I don't know what you're talking about, South Carolina surely doesn't have a "good" chance to win. Sure maybe they get lucky and win, but Alabama will match up their best corner on Jeffrey and shut down the run.

And yes it probably will be closer than the Florida game, but I still think UF beats south carolina this year
South Carolina will abuse Alabama's secondary with their tall WRs if Garcia can get them the ball. Florida was able to pass on Alabama pretty good, but just couldn't capitalize on some drives.

Alabama's D is not as good as last year, and if a team can pass efficiently they will win. Arkansas had the win before Mallet threw 2 INTs in the 4th and gave the game away. Penn State had open WR's the entire game, but their Freshman QB couldn't get the ball to them.

You can stop Alabama's run and win the game..

Ingram - 47 yards
Richardson - 63 yards
McElroy - 84 yards

Florida lost the game because of turnovers at bad times. That's one thing I will give Alabama credit for.. they play mistake free football, for the most part. They don't beat themselves, and that is how they have been able to win 19 in a row.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
The Dumb One

Tailgating from 8AM to 8PM is srs biznass and exhausting LOL. I never saw The Wave so well choreographed as at the Big House.
Try thursday night till the game saturday...

Quick Reply: College Football: 2010 Season Discussion Thread