Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to see him around town and chatted with him a lot after we all met. Lost touch around 3 years ago. He was a good spirited guy. Just came back here to check the thread.....Rest in Peace Ken "Razzi" Hoang.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by chokin
i was going to post the same.

Who is going to his funeral or church service?
I will be going to the funeral I like to know who else is going maybe we can all go together and pay our respects to Ken and his family as a group that he got started. I agree with Josh I remember him as that scrawny 17-year-old I met years ago I am having a real hard time with this but i'll get through it

Last edited by Takata 18; 01-15-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Unhappy

So only Kin and myself are going anybody else going to the wake. Please let us know and maybe we can all go together if any of you guys are planning to go to the wake.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM

I'll be there tomorrow for the church service
Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom_of_the_Acura
Well i had fun yesterday. i got a phone call 5 minutes before i was to leave work telling me my car was finally finished it has been at Motorwerks since 12/2. So i head there to pick up my car it needed two VANOS adjustment units $2800 each plus a few other things and $1000 in labor total $7100 of which i only had to pay $100 as my warranty covered the rest. So i pay and depart heading north on 35W before i get to highway 62 i get a service engine soon light so i head back to the dealer and my SA doesnt look to happy to see me again but they take the car and run a scan and it say it is a bad O2 sensor. So i have a quick chat with my SA and a tech and we deside that the car should stay there and they'll look into it as i just had the O2 sensor replaced back in august so it could be bad cats.
Yeah that car has been ridiculed relentlessly on the M5 boards it is pretty lame. Well I heard back from the dealer yesterday it was a Bank 2 Pre-cat O2 sensor that failed and of course they don't have the parts so I'll get a status update from my SA on Monday on when it'll be finished. Back in August the Bank 1 pre-cat O2 sensor failed so I guess it was this ones time to go.
Happy new year everyone. Well the M5 is finally back in my possession after spending the month of December at the dealer. I got a call Monday about 3pm telling me they replaced the O2 sensor but now the battery is dead so they recommend a new one for $500. With the way the weather has been this winter so far I don't want to deal with a dead battery on the side of the road so I have them replace that too. I picked the car up Tuesday morning total cost was $1000 which the warranty covered $430. I can hear the engine sounds different now with the new adjusters but it is nice to have it back. I added it up and with the accident and the time at the dealer the car was out of service for 1/4 of 2013 and the mileage shows 2012 I drove 14K miles, 2013 I drove 8900.
^ And this is why I sold my BMW for the TL-S...

I did all my own work and it was getting to be too much to spend to keep an older car on the road. Loved the car, hated working on it. If it was more reliable, it would have been damn near perfect.

I went to the dealership a grand total of three times in the 5 years I owned my car and it was robbery every single time. They jack up part costs sky high and people pay them because they don't know any different. Buying parts online saved me ~50% on a regular basis and doing the work myself saved even more.

Originally Posted by walleyeman
WTF? A whole month for an O2 sensor and $500 for a new battery? Is this normal BMW service? even Hyundai service will get you in and out within a day or so. Your battery probably wasnt even dead too, just probably needed a full overnight charge because they havent started the car in over a month maybe. Batteries just dont die overnight. My battery in my old civic that sat in the impound for almost a year was still perfectly good after giving it a full charge after getting it back. Ive heard a few horror stories about broken parts replacement price tags from a few friends back then that owned BMWs, one of the main reason why i didnt pick one up when I had the chance, but that is just ridiculous for a battery and an O2 sensor which probably just needed a good cleaning too.
Welcome to the world of BMW ownership... The crappy part is that the dealer doesn't schedule a time for you to come in and do the work, they just take your car and give you a loaner. They then store your car and work on it as they get through the line of cars in front of you.

In other news, you can buy O2 sensors for a BMW off of Amazon for ~$53 and have them to your house in 2 days. Takes about 10 minutes to install new ones.

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
$250 for installation i would shit my pants. Glad you got it back the way you want it though.
I believe 2006 and newer BMWs have to have the battery coded to the car which is just another way of them screwing you out of money.

Trust me I called an Indy shop for a quote on a new battery and they said the same price the dealer did so it is what it is. BMW's have to have the battery registered to the car so it knows it is a new battery and has the alternator charge it accordingly.
You can still BYO battery to the indy and they can code the car to the battery.

Anyway, hi guys fellow twin cities (Plymouth) TL owner here. I just recently bought my 2008 TL Type S after selling my BMW and love this thing. Hoping it's more reliable than my old car...

Also, didn't know the guy who passed away that you're talking about but RIP. Always sucks to lose someone to something like this. Sounds like he had a great life ahead of him.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm back

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1

I did all my own work and it was getting to be too much to spend to keep an older car on the road. Loved the car, hated working on it. If it was more reliable, it would have been damn near perfect.

I went to the dealership a grand total of three times in the 5 years I owned my car and it was robbery every single time. They jack up part costs sky high and people pay them because they don't know any different. Buying parts online saved me ~50% on a regular basis and doing the work myself saved even more.

Welcome to the world of BMW ownership... The crappy part is that the dealer doesn't schedule a time for you to come in and do the work, they just take your car and give you a loaner. They then store your car and work on it as they get through the line of cars in front of you.

In other news, you can buy O2 sensors for a BMW off of Amazon for ~$53 and have them to your house in 2 days. Takes about 10 minutes to install new ones.

I believe 2006 and newer BMWs have to have the battery coded to the car which is just another way of them screwing you out of money.

Anyway, hi guys fellow twin cities (Plymouth) TL owner here. I just recently bought my 2008 TL Type S after selling my BMW and love this thing. Hoping it's more reliable than my old car...

Also, didn't know the guy who passed away that you're talking about but RIP. Always sucks to lose someone to something like this. Sounds like he had a great life ahead of him.
They probably share common parts. You will ended up paying for because of the badge.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm back

Any tl-s owner works at Andersen Corp in Bayport's door plant? It's has a WI plate.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Talking

Welcome aboard we got to get to see you one of our meets
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's up fellas!! Just a quick update.... I am no longer a TL owner! Got rid of it yesterday!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm back

Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
What's up fellas!! Just a quick update.... I am no longer a TL owner! Got rid of it yesterday!
Well... You still have to tell us what you got tho.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I thought you got rid of the GTP! Not the TL. Looks like I have to go buy a CX9 now so we can still have the same vehicle.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Welcome aboard we got to get to see you one of our meets
Let me know when and where and I'll try to make it.

I travel quite a bit for work so I may or may not be in town but I'll do my best.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

So don't just show say good bye and do tell what you got.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Talking

Let me know when and where and I'll try to make it.

I travel quite a bit for work so I may or may not be in town but I'll do my best.
Well we usually wait to the nice weather. When ever you can make it that will be great.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Talking

Hey Pineapple are you going to let us know what you got? Or are you just going to be a PINEAPPLE !!!?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by nate_0022
I thought you got rid of the GTP! Not the TL. Looks like I have to go buy a CX9 now so we can still have the same vehicle.
Nah! The GTP wouldnt have gotten much for trade. The TL got twice as much! YOu damn right you need to get the same ride as me... we are brothas from othah muthas!!!

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Hey Pineapple are you going to let us know what you got? Or are you just going to be a PINEAPPLE !!!?
I got a Mazda CX-9 dude.... my wife is pregnant again so we needed something bigger! I still have the grand prix though, im gonna be upgrading the supercharger in it...
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
You'll just have to trade that GTP for an SVT! Pretty sure that's my next car lol
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Talking

Nah! The GTP wouldnt have gotten much for trade. The TL got twice as much! YOu damn right you need to get the same ride as me... we are brothas from othah muthas!!!

I got a Mazda CX-9 dude.... my wife is pregnant again so we needed something bigger! I still have the grand prix though, im gonna be upgrading the supercharger in it...
Well congrats on you baby, and the SUV. Dude.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:08 PM
I like turtles

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on the baby and the new ride Makana!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Thanks guys! So when we gonna have our first meet?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by nate_0022
You'll just have to trade that GTP for an SVT! Pretty sure that's my next car lol
SVT is just a glorified GM! I'm done driving my race car to work. I'm gonna pay off the grand prix then fix it up some and look for an everyday vehicle!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm back

Thanks guys! So when we gonna have our first meet?
We should have a below zero meet lol.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM
The cake is a lie.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! I don't think I've ever been quoted so much before. I kind of knew going in the BMW was going to have a few more issues than my old TL-S but hey it's fast. As for the O2 sensor I highly doubt I'd be able to replace a Pre-cat o2 sensor on a V-10 in ten minutes especially in the middle of December. So I consider the $100 I spent to have BMW do it in warranty money well spent. As for the battery these last few sub-zero mornings it has started every time and in this cold starting up 10 cylinders and an engine with over 2.5 gallons of 10W/60 oil again money well spent. Although I do wish it hadn't been $500.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM
The cake is a lie.

Well to quote Queen "Another one bites the dust!"
Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 AM
The cake is a lie.

Congratulations Mankana. Who knew pineapples could be so fruitful. See what I did there.

Is this what showed up on your wife's ultrasound?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 AM
The cake is a lie.

We should have a below zero meet lol.
I think we should do a winter meet at Buffalo Wild Wings Roseville location this Saturday 2/1/14 say noon? I'm in.

1. Phantom of the Acura
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Still hibernating..
Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Ex-OEM King

Wow! I don't think I've ever been quoted so much before. I kind of knew going in the BMW was going to have a few more issues than my old TL-S but hey it's fast. As for the O2 sensor I highly doubt I'd be able to replace a Pre-cat o2 sensor on a V-10 in ten minutes especially in the middle of December. So I consider the $100 I spent to have BMW do it in warranty money well spent. As for the battery these last few sub-zero mornings it has started every time and in this cold starting up 10 cylinders and an engine with over 2.5 gallons of 10W/60 oil again money well spent. Although I do wish it hadn't been $500.
I'm surprised they covered the O2 sensor under warranty, but better for you! I just reviewed the procedure on the E60 M5 and it is a lot more involved than any other one I've done but it certainly wouldn't take more than an hour of time to do but you're right, the weather is terrible outside.

Battery is no excuse though.

All BMW motors hold a crap ton of oil, that's how they justify the long oil change intervals. My E46 had an 8 quart oil pan for a 6 cylinder.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm back

I think we should do a winter meet at Buffalo Wild Wings Roseville location this Saturday 2/1/14 say noon? I'm in.

1. Phantom of the Acura
2. chokin

Forecast says it will be 16 degree, so it will be warm compare to these days.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Just drive...

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

1. Phantom of the Acura
2. chokin

Sorry guys...I'm out as I'm in Vegas this weekend for the Superbowl parties!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

Iknowrite will join im still new to this site but wanting to meet people in mn plus which bdub? one off snelling or by the mall?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Talking

1. Phantom of the Acura
2. chokin

I want to do this but I am getting BduBs for the Superbowl. Let me think about it i will let you know.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by MN07TLS
Sorry guys...I'm out as I'm in Vegas this weekend for the Superbowl parties!
You really have it rough
Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by bouncer07
Still hibernating..
So is my CAR
Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 AM
I'm back

Gosh... You guys!!! Is this Saturday a go then?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM
The cake is a lie.

Gosh... You guys!!! Is this Saturday a go then?
I am going to be there at noon sharp. If no one else shows I guess I'll just eat my lunch and go. Wouldn't be the first time. For those who asked it is the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street from Rosedale Mall.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm back

I am going to be there at noon sharp. If no one else shows I guess I'll just eat my lunch and go. Wouldn't be the first time. For those who asked it is the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street from Rosedale Mall.
Didn't that location closed down n became a sushi place?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Talking

Well Max I have a cold. depending on how I feel I might show up
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

sup guys! member from Burnsville MN!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 AM
10th Gear

The 2015 Acura TLX just gave me a Hard on..!!!

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras