CCColtsicehockey's Home Projects Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 01:34 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,683 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Gryphon
Your deck samples look like the newer Transcend Lineage line. If you're curious about Island Mist (grey) and Carmel (light brown), those are the colors on our deck. The subtle contrast color in the grain on the Carmel is grey.

You are correct they are Trek Transcend Lineage line. They are the Biscayne and Jasper colors. I wanted to do Biscayne with Island Mist as the accent color but it just looks too blue on our house which is all warm tones even the shade of grey it is painted. Your deck looks fantastic in the Carmel and it matches the color of the house perfectly. Maybe I should go back and grab a sample of that color as well but it always looked so light in the showroom.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 92 Posts
The greys in the Carmel match the Island Mist pretty well, so it may not look as good to you. To me, the Carmel showed the color textures better than the darker browns, which felt slightly more monotone than Carmel. I have to imagine that Carmel will be slightly cooler for the pups.

It would be interesting to see Biscayne and Carmel together. Might not be enough contrast tho. Or Rainier and Carmel too.

Last edited by Gryphon; 02-19-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 PM

The greys in the Carmel match the Island Mist pretty well, so it may not look as good to you. To me, the Carmel showed the color textures better than the darker browns, which felt slightly more monotone than Carmel. I have to imagine that Carmel will be slightly cooler for the pups.

It would be interesting to see Biscayne and Carmel together. Might not be enough contrast tho. Or Rainier and Carmel too.
I was curious and did a search and came up with this Instagram post.

View this post on Instagram
Old 02-19-2024, 05:51 PM

Framers were back to finish off some of the interior framing that still remained. They framed down the top wall that will meet the glass. I didn't see the reason for paying for floor to ceiling glass when you would need a cross bar or bolt clips so the panels didn't flex. So we built down a 2ft wall so that we will just do 8ft tall glass panels. They also put in the half wall that the cabinets will mount to for the wet bar.

They also framed out the finished opening and support structure for The Attic Lift.

The following 7 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
00TL-P3.2 (02-20-2024), 1StGenCL (02-21-2024), BreezyTL (02-20-2024), civicdrivr (02-19-2024), godfather2 (02-20-2024), Gryphon (02-20-2024), SamDoe1 (02-19-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-20-2024, 11:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I was curious and did a search and came up with this Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuFl09JJ...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Looks good in the pics, you would have to determine if it goes with the house or not.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:35 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
The pics in this thread remind me of Chris doing an oil change on his 4 Runner every 2 years.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockstar143:
1StGenCL (02-21-2024), 97BlackAckCL (02-22-2024), CCColtsicehockey (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
The pics in this thread remind me of Chris doing an oil change on his 4 Runner every 2 years.

In all fairness. Go back and find my threads from the first days of my TSX. It is how I documented stuff since the beginning. Actually, sadly I think those have all failed and I have lost a lot of those since imageshack.us died.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:46 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Love the progress Jason
The following users liked this post:
CCColtsicehockey (02-21-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Every year, on 12/30 to be exact
1StGenCL (02-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:48 PM

To be EXTRA clear, that wasn't a complaint.
I used to document every centimeter of every turd coming out of my butthole with photobucket uploaded pics too. So I get it.
97BlackAckCL (02-26-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:39 AM

Was out of town the later part of last week but nothing really got done anyways as no one was on site Thursday or Friday.

The framers were back yesterday. They were out doing various smaller jobs that needed to be done. After a misunderstanding that could have been solved if 2x8s were used for the walls two partial walls were furred out so they would be flush to the ground from a certain point to make cabinet mounting easier. My original plan was I never wanted to see a ledge at all in the garage and wanted drywall to the floor. Somehow this was misunderstood. So I gave in and we fixed it in certain areas that would matter the most.

This wall will have 17ft of lower cabinets so just furred it out for mounting those. I will hide it then by installing 2in deeper countertops.

The rest of the stairs got framed in. This will have an access panel for it later on. I will be putting my panel here for my fiber coming into the building so that it can be a pulling location between the house and then my network rack in the bathroom.

We also tried some ideas for framing beam in the been in the loft. First tried boxing it in to make it look centered in the corner. That made it way too large though.

Ended up just furring down the rafters so they were flush with the end of the beam. I think this was the best option in the end to try and make it disappear.

Person doors were installed. Really happy with the new more modern therma tru full glass doors I went with.

The person door in the breezeway was installed as well. It was ordered wrong by the lumber yard so they are just ordering a new door panel and we are waiting for that to arrive.

If feels another step closer to complete now by always going in through a door to get inside.

They had put some plywood down on the deck frame so install the upper door.

I figured why not have a beer up there.

The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
00TL-P3.2 (02-27-2024), 97BlackAckCL (03-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:52 AM

I finally got to work last night a bit on some of the low voltage work.

I bought this Diablo 2in hole saw kit. Now you might think no way that M12 drill makes that work. Well it was a tank.

Three LVL to go through and 3 separate holes through it.

I wanted to try my Makita 18v brushless drill to compare. The Makita batteries are long toast but I have been using an adapter with some porter cable batteries. It seemed to have zero interest in turning that hole saw even though the battery said it was charged. It left me wondering if those adapters allow things to work at full voltage. The M12 Fuel drill did 2in holes on a single 4ah battery.

This quick connect design of this hole saw makes getting the round out of it easier than any other hole saw I have ever use. The hole saw pops off the main chuck and you use the center guide bit to push it out.

Finally, a little something to feel like I am underway with my piece. This is my future conduit to the attic in case I forget to run anything or need to update anything.

I am still messing around with deck colors but I think I am almost to the end. Ended up ordering samples from Trex so I could have larger pieces.

If I go with Trex this is the combo I will go with.

I also ordered some samples of TimberTech Azek Vintage Collection. I like the Mahogany color in this collection as it matches the main accent color of my house pretty well. Here I have it paired with my primary decking choice from Trex. Not sure if I can mix a compostive and a PVC decking. The Timberech would just be the accent.

TimberTech does have a similar grey to the Trex I really like but it just does not have as much of a varied color and is a bit cooler looking grey than the Trex color. It is the bottom of the 2 greys.

97BlackAckCL (03-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:16 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,876 Likes on 3,881 Posts
I also ordered some samples of TimberTech Azek Vintage Collection. I like the Mahogany color in this collection as it matches the main accent color of my house pretty well. Here I have it paired with my primary decking choice from Trex. Not sure if I can mix a compostive and a PVC decking. The Timberech would just be the accent.

You absolutely can mix composite and PVC. There is, in reality, very little difference in terms of overall performance of the decking as long as your composite stuff has the PVC outer jacket layer on it. Just need to be conscious of dimensional differences between brands.

We have that Timbertech decking, in that color, for my deck right now and I love it. We didn't want a contrasting one though so it's all that one color.

I'm also astonished that your M12 drill was able to drive a 2in hole saw through that much LVL. That's some hard shit to go through! I used an auger bit to drill through the trusses in my basement. Didn't need a 2" hole for a 2-3 romex lines.
CCColtsicehockey (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You absolutely can mix composite and PVC. There is, in reality, very little difference in terms of overall performance of the decking as long as your composite stuff has the PVC outer jacket layer on it. Just need to be conscious of dimensional differences between brands.

We have that Timbertech decking, in that color, for my deck right now and I love it. We didn't want a contrasting one though so it's all that one color.

I'm also astonished that your M12 drill was able to drive a 2in hole saw through that much LVL. That's some hard shit to go through! I used an auger bit to drill through the trusses in my basement. Didn't need a 2" hole for a 2-3 romex lines.
I let the bit do the work vs hard forcing it. I think I had all 11 holes drilled in less than an hour including measuring everything and letting the drill cool down a second between holes. I was thoroughly impressed. Would I maybe want something a little fast if I did it for a living, most likely. The M12 fuel stuff has proven though to me even with the level of stuff I do compared to the average home owner it is more than up to the task.

Do you find that in the summer the mahogany gets hot at all when in bare feet? I know you don't get as much heat as we do down here but the supply place has highly suggested against any red color decking saying it gets extremely hot even compared to something like a dark grey.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:13 AM
Ex-OEM King

I let the bit do the work vs hard forcing it. I think I had all 11 holes drilled in less than an hour including measuring everything and letting the drill cool down a second between holes. I was thoroughly impressed. Would I maybe want something a little fast if I did it for a living, most likely. The M12 fuel stuff has proven though to me even with the level of stuff I do compared to the average home owner it is more than up to the task.

Do you find that in the summer the mahogany gets hot at all when in bare feet? I know you don't get as much heat as we do down here but the supply place has highly suggested against any red color decking saying it gets extremely hot even compared to something like a dark grey.
Milwaukee stuff is definitely high quality. I do wish I would have invested in that battery system instead of Ridgid but here we are.

They all get hot, the color may change that fact a little but they're all going to be about the same. My neighbor has a grey deck and it's similarly hot. You probably get more humidity but it definitely gets hot AF here in the summer. My backyard (and deck) is south facing so full sun and we routinely get into the upper 90s or even low triple digits.

As long as you get the composite decking with the PVC outer jacket, it has the same impervious nature in not being porous. The guy that did our deck quoted all of the decking options (PVC and composite) and told us it wasn't worth it to do the full PVC at this point, the composite was just as good and quite a lot cheaper.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:37 AM
Racer

The only concern I might have with mixing different types of decking would be different rates of expansion and contraction. If all you're talking about is picture framing, then it's probably less of a concern.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:11 PM

The only concern I might have with mixing different types of decking would be different rates of expansion and contraction. If all you're talking about is picture framing, then it's probably less of a concern.
That was my primary concern as well. That said the picture frame, deck vertical framing, stair risers, and stringer siding is all that would be the PVC decking. The main inner area would all be the same material.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:42 PM
Racer

Seeing your doors, I did this on Saturday.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ODL-22-i...6401/100656620

Very easy solution to install and ends up looking like it's part of the original door (as long as you keep them white). Additionally, with the mini-blinds enclosed between the door glass and this add-on glass, they shouldn't get dirty or dusty.

EDIT: Actually, looking at your doors more closely, this likely won't work for you.

Last edited by Gryphon; 02-27-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:59 PM

Seeing your doors, I did this on Saturday.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ODL-22-i...6401/100656620

Very easy solution to install and ends up looking like it's part of the original door (as long as you keep them white). Additionally, with the mini-blinds enclosed between the door glass and this add-on glass, they shouldn't get dirty or dusty.

EDIT: Actually, looking at your doors more closely, this likely won't work for you.
That is a really nifty piece. I didn't do blinds in the upstairs loft door and it did occur to me once it was installed that might of been a poor choice. That said I won't really be trying to watch movies in there mostly just sports and the sun will rarely make it through those windows directly with the trees so close so I will hope for the best.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:11 PM
Ex-OEM King

From a materials science perspective, I'd wager that the composite material would be MORE dimensionally stable than the straight PVC since it's all just sawdust/fibers and glue. PVC in its base form (can't speak to decking specifically) is very variable in properties and dimensions relative to temperature and humidity. I worked with it a LOT at my last job.
CCColtsicehockey (02-28-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 994 Likes on 750 Posts
Is this thing done yet!?
The following 2 users liked this post by BreezyTL:
97BlackAckCL (03-28-2024), CCColtsicehockey (04-01-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Seriously
CCColtsicehockey (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:32 AM

Can't believe it has been a month since I last updated it this thread. For a while though it seemed like nothing was getting done.

After getting some quotes for spray foam insulation and also figuring out the issues of not having a vent area for the plywood for the roof it could cause the decision was made to go with Fiberglass or Wool insulation. That decision is still to come. Working on getting some of my own quotes but my builder is telling me wool is 2x more expensive than fiberglass. I need to see what those actual numbers come out to then. The sound properties of the wool insulation are of some interest to me but not sure they are 2x worth it.

Because of this reason though the ceilings all had to be furred out to give space for R38 batts.

The mini splits were delivered and installed

I also learned the weight limit with my bolt on forks on my small tractor is 375lb as the second pallet I could only get about 18in off the ground but it was enough to move it into the garage. Don't mind the lower wheel as I realized that I had not pumped the tires up to the air pressure for using the loader vs mowing.

Mini split inside units all installed

This outside unit I will see from the backyard

We were able to shove the other 3 on the side of the garage facing the neighbors property.

My SwissTrax samples also showed up. Still haven't decided between SwissTrax or RaceDeck but likely can't go wrong with either. I do like the two colors I ordered as possible accent colors from SwissTrax that I can't get from RaceDeck which right now is the only reason I am leaning in that direction. That is also not white but a silver that looks really light.

In the house with regular lighting

In the garage with 2 UFO Lights

I have also started working on picking a cabinet color for the loft wet bar. I have already picked my tile (pictured) and my granite which is mostly black with a few grey veins through it so that limits my color options a bit. Leaning toward the center or right color right now.

It is also that time of year again to start mowing. The yard has come in nicely with the work from last year. Having to mow twice a week right with near perfect growing conditions.

godfather2 (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:39 AM

With about getting ready to start my low voltage wiring finely there was a new camera released by Ubiquiti that met a lot of my desires for my up coming camera installs. I had been looking at using a lot of their G5 Pro cameras due to the long distance night vision it offered but the cameras are 4k and a bit expensive for what I need. This new camera the G5 Turret Ultra is claimed to have longer nigh vision at 1/3 the price likely cause it is only 2k resolution and made of plastic vs metal.

The G5 Turret Ultra form factor is extremely compact which will make it really nice for soffit installs which is where most of my cameras will be mounted.

I ran a single 200ft cat6 run out of the house right now so I can test it in several locations. First up was the front yard / driveway.

Daytime

Dusk

Nighttime with lights on

Nighttime after landscape lights

All in all I am pretty impressed at what the camera offers. I still might end up getting a few of the G5 Pro cameras but not nearly as many as I was originally planning for.
The following 4 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
00TL-P3.2 (04-01-2024), godfather2 (04-02-2024), Gryphon (04-02-2024), SamDoe1 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:17 AM
Ex-OEM King

Dark veiny rock you say?
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
97BlackAckCL (04-02-2024), CCColtsicehockey (04-01-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 07:56 AM

So with the walls still open I am toying with the idea of raising the garage door opening from 8ft to 9ft. The ability to not have to always remove the roof box from the truck or if I eventually get around to building an overland rig and doing a 30-45day trip outwest living out of my car I would only be able to park either in the driveway which I am really trying to prevent doing.

It won't be cheap in a sense but still way cheaper than doing it any other time. Already have the framing labor and materials estimate back just waiting on the increase cost of the garage doors now.

Either way I have to make the decisions in the next week so not to slow things down.
00TL-P3.2 (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 08:11 AM

Received 5,319 Likes on 3,648 Posts
Better to have & not need...
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
CCColtsicehockey (04-02-2024), civicdrivr (04-06-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 09:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 994 Likes on 750 Posts
It's only money...
civicdrivr (04-06-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 10:51 AM
Ex-OEM King

So with the walls still open I am toying with the idea of raising the garage door opening from 8ft to 9ft. The ability to not have to always remove the roof box from the truck or if I eventually get around to building an overland rig and doing a 30-45day trip outwest living out of my car I would only be able to park either in the driveway which I am really trying to prevent doing.

It won't be cheap in a sense but still way cheaper than doing it any other time. Already have the framing labor and materials estimate back just waiting on the increase cost of the garage doors now.

Either way I have to make the decisions in the next week so not to slow things down.
Do it, you won't regret it.

9ft garage doors is a game changer. Only downside is that you may not be able to hang shit over the door when it's open if that's a thing you want to do.
CCColtsicehockey (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:02 PM

I miss your old little 2 car garage.
This behemoth is too much for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
97BlackAckCL (04-04-2024), CCColtsicehockey (04-09-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I'd say do it now while you have the chance
CCColtsicehockey (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:27 AM

More work is finally happening including my own.

Two guys came last week and cleaned the inside of the garage and then painted the inside of the foundation with DryLock like they had done to the outside. I think it is likely overkill once the proper drainage is done later on with grading outside but the builder wanted to do it since we will be finishing the inside full with drywall with no block showing.

I finally got around to started the low voltage wiring. I took off from work Thursday through Monday this week and made some good headway. Going to do the same this coming weekend to try and wrap up the rest.

Spent the first day installing a bunch of 2in J-Hooks to be my cable trays in the attic.

Also installed them as my path through the shop ceililng from the where the data cabinet will go in the bathroom. This same path also has a run of 2in conduit for future cable pulls I may ever need. I still need to glue the conduit sections together but it is mostly finished at this point.

Artsy shot I took while installing all the J-Hooks

00TL-P3.2 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:34 AM

The rest of the weekend I spent pulling cable and installing flex conduit for any future drops I might need.

Having the scissor the electricians are using available was extremely helpful. Not sure the job is possible without it honestly.

This is where the network rack will go. I have decided on a wall mount unit that is 26U in size that has a nice hinged opening so you can also easily access the back of it.

The cable paths are working well so far. The left path feeds one side of the buiding and the right path the other side of the building.

I manged to get about 2800ft of Cat6 cable run this first go around with about another 900ft to go and then some in ceiling speaker wire runs to do still.
The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
97BlackAckCL (04-09-2024), civicdrivr (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 11:11 AM

That's a lot of cable.
26U is a lot [half rack?], but better to have the space & not need it.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
That's a lot of cable.
26U is a lot [half rack?], but better to have the space & not need it.
Double runs to everything even though I also have the conduit I can use if the need arises down the road to fix or upgrade any cable pull.

Depending on what size racks you use where you are it is more than half of some racks. We have 42U racks in our data centers.

Here is what I am putting in. https://tripplite.eaton.com/smartrac...back~SRW26USDP

I already have plans to fill 18 of the 26U. I had originally been looking at a 19U rack but don't feel comfortable having all but 1U filled right from the start.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:38 PM

Couldn't recall what a full rack was, we have one in our office & a fixed rack in our data center, Never looked at the full capacity.
Having the extra space is worth it for down the road, even if for something like side-by-side upgrades & pulling old stuff later.

That & heat mgmt with not having to stack everything & being able to have some breathing room between devices.
CCColtsicehockey (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 04:08 PM
Ex-OEM King

I also like big racks.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (04-09-2024), 97BlackAckCL (04-10-2024), CCColtsicehockey (04-09-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Giggity
Old 04-16-2024, 09:04 AM

Was able to complete a bunch more work on the garage wiring the past 5 days. Up to 3800ft of Cat6 run now. Got two of my speaker runs done as well.

Still might run cable for one more camera but not sure yet. The back lower door doesn't have a camera anywhere at the right height to see someone entering through that door. All paths to get to that door are covered though. Not sure of a great place to mount said camera so as of now I have not ran a path for it.

I also came up with a reason to run a second set of speaker wires for my deck speakers. Originally, I had decide to just wire those speakers up for music. However, since the loft area is primarily planned for watching sports. I could see a time where it would be nice to have the game audio outside as well. I pulled the lines I had run to the speakers and will wire those to behind the entertainment center. I will then install a source selector in that media cabinet to either choose the music amp or the TV audio which I will power from Zone 2 on the home theater receiver. I found a source selector that is actually automated and defaults to source A unless it senses a signal on Source B so I should be able to let the music source default and then only turn on Zone 2 when I want TV audio on the deck.

Speaker wire run in the storage garage area. Just encase ever using the space for like an event space I will have the ability to do full building audio. I had to run 12awg speaker wire for these to carry the power as it is the only run over 100ft.

I also got around to moving the test camera I purchased to the back of the garage to see how it works in the woods. I am not sure I will use the camera at this location. I think I will want the high resolution 4k camera here as you need to at least be able to digitally zoom in some to find the dogs in the woods which is honestly half or more of the reason I am putting cameras on the back of the property. The detail at night in the distance is also really lacking but I am also expecting a lot. The camera is roughly 20ft up as well which doesn't help.

My OSHA aproved temporary deck

The sensor in these cameras is really helped out by even just a little light. Maybe once the garage is finished and there are flood lights back there it might be enough.

Another piece of the project finally showed up a week ago. I had ordered the hide-a-hose vacuum solution from Obsessed Garage back on Black Friday. There were so many orders they were short a lof the the inwall connection pieces. I was able to get all the piping test fit done yesterday. I still need to run the control wire and glue all the joints but I think this will be the final path of the pipe.

I know I will need a small ladder each time I need to replace the bag in the vacuum but I wanted it above head level in the storage room. Hopefully I am not having to replace the bag more than 5-6 times a year.

Thankfully they also include a mud plate for the wall box so it doesn't get messed up during drywall.

The following 5 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
00TL-P3.2 (04-16-2024), 97BlackAckCL (04-16-2024), BreezyTL (04-16-2024), godfather2 (04-17-2024), Gryphon (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Great work man, this is such an awesome project!
CCColtsicehockey (04-16-2024)

Quick Reply: CCColtsicehockey's Home Projects Thread