CCColtsicehockey's Home Projects Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
CCColtsicehockey's Home Projects Thread

So I bought a house last year around and closed on it around the middle of summer. Well I just bought a second house and closed on it this past Wednesday. Haven't even moved yet but I don't want to move again. The reason for moving as I am only moving about 20min away is I just need more land. I thought .5 acres was enough but really only about .35 is usable land the rest is on a big hill.

So where I am moving to now is almost 1.4 acres of completely flat land that is already fenced in. I will have plenty of space to eventually build a separate detached garage with an office/man cave over the top of it. I love lots about my current house but the new one fills many of the things I compromised on in it that I shouldn't have probably. I will miss my brick exterior and my stone fireplace but I can always redo the current one in stone eventually. My location is a lot better as well. Excited to get moved in right after the holidays.

Current House

New just closed on house.

All of this is to the left of the shed above and has a fence separating it from the rest of the yard.

The new garage is 3ft larger in both direction for the main garage area. It also has a side workshop area.

Inside pictures to come a bit later.
The following 9 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
Acura_Dude (12-28-2015), civicdrivr (11-15-2018), crazyasiantl (02-10-2016), Doom878 (01-22-2016), Flipster23 (12-21-2015), godfather2 (12-20-2015), juniorbean (12-18-2015), Legend2TL (02-23-2016), wndrlst (12-21-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Nice to see pics of the new house finally, the land is definitely a plus, you have a much nicer/bigger back yard for the dogs, fence is already in which is awesome, and there's a fire pit. Looking good Jason!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Looks good J! Happy it's going through... hope the move and everything goes off w/o a hitch!

You'll love the extra land. We're on over 2.5 acres and I keep looking at listings for more. When you're ready to build another garage/workshop, let me know... we have a great builder
Old 12-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Wow, that first house is something ugly

But seriously, the new place looks smaller than the old place. Is that true? What is the size of each?
Old 12-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Nevermind, I just realized they look almost identical to one another
Old 12-18-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Nice to see pics of the new house finally, the land is definitely a plus, you have a much nicer/bigger back yard for the dogs, fence is already in which is awesome, and there's a fire pit. Looking good Jason!
The fenced in area we have at the current house isn't even 1/4 the size of the smaller of the two fenced in areas to the left of the shed. The pups are going to go nuts. I can't wait to use the fire pit all winter. Going to use it like twice a week.

Megan is worried with all the land the dogs will find a way out so may add an invisible fence to go with it.

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Looks good J! Happy it's going through... hope the move and everything goes off w/o a hitch!

You'll love the extra land. We're on over 2.5 acres and I keep looking at listings for more. When you're ready to build another garage/workshop, let me know... we have a great builder
Yeah so excited for all the extra space. Wow 2.5 is a lot and not you want more haha. I will definitely keep that in mind about the builder. Thanks

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Wow, that first house is something ugly

But seriously, the new place looks smaller than the old place. Is that true? What is the size of each?
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Nevermind, I just realized they look almost identical to one another
They are actually within 200sqft of each other in size. The new one though being larger. However, it is really even bigger cause it has two large up stairs storage areas that total about 550-700sqft of extra space.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Nice. Congrats.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
awesome!!! congrats!!!
The following users liked this post:
CCColtsicehockey (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Dang, looks awesome!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I think the new one has more character than the one you're in now - both the exterior of the house and the land. Looks great! You'll love that screened in porch, too. Will you post interior pics when you move in?
Old 12-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Jason, when I grow up I want to be just like you...

Diggin, the new house. At first I thought I was tripping because I was saying to myself didn't he just buy a new house.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I think the new one has more character than the one you're in now - both the exterior of the house and the land. Looks great! You'll love that screened in porch, too. Will you post interior pics when you move in?
Thank you. Can't wait to sit on at the screened in porch a lot at night after work and watch the dogs play.

Trying to get inside pictures up tonight or tomorrow. I took them when it was dark out and using just the inside lights. Not a total fan of the way they came out but it would be a while till I can get some day light ones so they will have to do.

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Jason, when I grow up I want to be just like you...

Diggin, the new house. At first I thought I was tripping because I was saying to myself didn't he just buy a new house.
Thanks Flip. Yeah it was kind of the perfect storm of a house and just kinda had to move on it and not miss out. I actually did miss out at first. It wasn't on the market for even two weeks and I called my realtor to tell her the offer I wanted to put in and she picked up she told me they had just accepted an offer. I was super bummed about it but decided I wanted to put in a back up offer on the house and hope something fell through. Well turns out my luck that 5 days after the accepted the offer the original people backed out for some sort of personal reason and I ended up with the house.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 PM

Ok so onto the inside pictures. They are not the greatest being at night but they work. Tried to take pictures of everything without furniture ahead of time so I can use them to try and plan layouts over the holidays and before we start to move. I have even more than this but didn't want to bore you with closets and the upstairs empty bedrooms.

Continuing right off the garage into the laundry room.

Not a ton of space but it will work. Anyone have any suggestions for selling appliances? I need to get rid of the washer and dryer as I already have a newer and high model set.

Only other idea I have is someone suggested putting them in the garage as a second set to just use to wash dog bedding and sofa covers.

From the entryway/laundry room brings you to the kitchen and dining room area. I think the dining room will be the room we turn into the dog area for all the kennels as we have no dinning room table and don't really have a use for one right now.

Dining room right off the front entrance

Front hallway

First door on the left from the front door is an office area which will be so nice to have when I am able to work from home occasionally.

Second door on the left is small set back powder room.

Master Bedroom which is a short hallway off the kitchen.

Master Bathroom

Closet off Master Bathroom

Kitchen and Eating Area

Living Room off the entry way and the kitchen

Living room from top of stairs

Going to create a sitting area in this small space at the top of the steps

Upstairs there is almost a second floor type living room that all three bedrooms and one shared bathroom are off of.

There are two unfinished storage areas upstairs which I am super excited to have as I am so used to having a basement being from up north and it is just not something you find in the south that much. One of them is even climate controlled.

The following 4 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
Doom878 (01-22-2016), Flipster23 (01-05-2016), KaMLuNg (12-29-2015), wndrlst (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Beautiful!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts

What year was the new home built in?

For your appliances, put them up on Craigslist with the year and model numbers. They should go for $400 easy and more if they are higher end.

Last edited by oo7spy; 12-22-2015 at 10:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oo7spy:
CCColtsicehockey (12-22-2015), jdmvette (10-26-2023)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
That is a beautiful house! I love all the trim work!
CCColtsicehockey (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
The fenced in area we have at the current house isn't even 1/4 the size of the smaller of the two fenced in areas to the left of the shed. The pups are going to go nuts. I can't wait to use the fire pit all winter. Going to use it like twice a week.

Megan is worried with all the land the dogs will find a way out so may add an invisible fence to go with it.
I was thinking the same, definitely have to double check the fencing all the way around and check for weak spots
Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

There are two unfinished storage areas upstairs which I am super excited to have as I am so used to having a basement being from up north and it is just not something you find in the south that much. One of them is even climate controlled.
That's a hell of a grow room!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy

What year was the new home built in?

For your appliances, put them up on Craigslist with the year and model numbers. They should go for $400 easy and more if they are higher end.
First home was built in 2007. The new house was built in 2005.

I haven't looked up the exact model yet but the washer and dryer are Samsung and only 2.5 years old from what I was told. I was would be happy to make 500-600 for the pair and be done with it. More afraid of having people come to my house for them.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
That's a hell of a grow room!
Hmmm that would sure take a dent out the mortgage payment each month
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Very nice house, man. I'm a fan of both.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

i love the layout and the trimwork in the hallway and dining... enjoy and please keep the pics coming...

you can also try Close5 to sell the washer and dryer... if you don't want people in your house, put them in the garage for people to come look at...
Old 12-29-2015, 03:29 PM

Things start to get going this week a bit. Cable company coming tomorrow to let me know if they will and how much it will cost me to run cable to my house.

Still trying to decide if I want DirecTV or TWC for my TV needs. I like the possibility of the wireless Genie boxes for the putting a TV outside on the screened in porch or even off the side of the shed by the fire pit. My other thoughts though on that are just to get one of the new Slingboxes and a Chromecast for my outside TV and then have all my cable and DVR access anywhere as well.

My dad is coming down with a 24ft Uhaul truck full of my stuff that was still at his house in my bedroom and other parts of the house since he is getting rid of it now to downsize. Has furniture for my guest bedroom and office in the new house. Between the furniture coming and what I already have setup in an office I will actually have a fully furnished office in the house. Now if I was only allowed to work from home a little bit more.

Have a guy I get all my home theater equipment through coming to help me trace wires in the living room since there is a plate for surround sound speakers next to the cable jack but the other wires are not terminated in the room anywhere. I would almost be more happy at this point if they are for whole house speakers honestly. Also need to figure out if I can get something like an OnQ Panel box but that is outside and waterproof as all my cable terminates outside by my electric meter for who knows what reason.

Lastly company I use for my alarm system at my current house is coming to see if the equipment I have now works with their service. If so I will stay with them if not it will be time to find another small local company but I hope I don't have too as the monitoring fee can't be beat.

Doing a lot of moving on my own this weekend as well of boxes that I never unpacked at the previous house as well. Still moving on target as of right now as long as everything goes to plan this long weekend I have off to start living out of it with only minor furniture in the house in about 10 days so that I can get the other house listed on the market.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Lastly company I use for my alarm system at my current house is coming to see if the equipment I have now works with their service. If so I will stay with them if not it will be time to find another small local company but I hope I don't have too as the monitoring fee can't be beat.
could then not just install one of their systems in tandem? if they value your business perhaps they could cut you a deal on the install to keep you...
Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 AM

I am hoping for the best. The last house had ADT when I bought it and I didn't want that so they put in all GE equipment. The new house has GE keypads at least so I assume that is what the rest of the stuff is so hoping they can just use it as well.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Well I am currently at the house for no reason it turns out. I missed an email and my cable installation appointment was cancelled cause they came out and did a site survey on their own and determined that a construction build process was needed before an installation could be done at my house. (I had already told them this on the phone but obviously they did not believe me which I guess is good that they are diligent.)

So now they tell me the estimated completion for this is February 21st That is almost 2 months away and I planned to be moved in in less than two weeks from right now. Guess I will be living without cable or internet for about 2 months then unless I can get DSL service without a contract.

The only good thing about this is that they said the construction installation fee for pulling the cable underground is completely free and zero cost to me.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

good luck mate.
CCColtsicehockey (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 AM

So got a lot done this holiday weekend. Moved about 65-70% of the stuff inside the current house that we want moved to clean things up before listing it out of the house. My dad brought down a 24ft UHaul truck full of everything of mine that was at his house since he is downsizing along with some other furniture he didn't want. The truck was only about 2/3 full so we filled it with a bunch of the stuff from my house that was already packed up still from the first move.

So 2 of the upstairs bedrooms are packed full of boxes cause I didn't want to place stuff in the storage room till I have gone through some of the boxes and gotten rid of some shit this time around.

The truck. This sucker was huge and a pain trying to get backed into the driveway at first.

Guest bedroom with my furniture from growing up. Will be our bedroom for a while since the other one will be furnished while being listed to start with.

Garage workshop starting to take a little bit of shape with some of the book cases I bought from work for $10 each while they were renovating and getting rid of stuff and then a large lateral file my dad had he was getting rid of.

Now I just need to build a large workbench on the other side of the work area. Going to build one 4ftx2ft table in the corner on the wall the smaller two bookshelves are and then a 7ftx2.5ft workbench on the outside wall that will be on wheels because my break boxes are on that wall so I need to be able to move it out of the way when I need to get things on that wall. Also going to mount a 29in TV I have out there as well with a Chromecast on one input and a ChromeDesktop stick on the other input so I can have a computer out there for looking up anything I need to while working on the cars.

I have big plans for the workshop but I think they are going to fall behind plans for some lighting up in the trees at the fire pit area and getting seating and lighting for in the screened in porch. Trying to find a decent price 7ft x 7ft outdoor sectional for in there and a table to put a small TV on. I plan to live much more outside than inside really at this place when home.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 01-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

And that's good news about the no fee on the construction job to run the cable
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
nice houses. Staying in Mooresville?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM

I will be in Huntersville now.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Forget California I'm moving to NC.
97BlackAckCL (01-12-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Come on over
Old 01-24-2016, 02:14 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Dang moving already?! Trim work looks really nice in your new house. How is the move going along? Is the first house on the market yet?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Dang moving already?! Trim work looks really nice in your new house. How is the move going along? Is the first house on the market yet?
Yeah moving already One of those really rare finds in my opinion that just checked almost every box perfectly so had to jump on it.

Moved into the new place about a week ago. We are about a week or two out from getting some final work done on the old place to get it photographed and on the market then. I have been spending half my time at each house and will still be doing so so we can get it all done as quick as possible.

We are living with the minimum possible and borrowing some old furniture from my parents place for the time being.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

best of luck on the sale of the old house... last winter i was still juggling two houses as well and it sucked!!! i hope it goes smoothly for you ...
Old 02-08-2016, 03:11 PM

So I am thinking of painting the railing one the deck once it warms up as I believe it will make everything flow better. The railing right now is just raw pressure treated wood. The deck is gray composite decking. I am not a fan due to the work that it will take to keep it clean but with all the white trim on the house I am thinking the railing will blend and look the best probably being white. Thoughts and opinions, please.

Also I want to put some lattice around the bottom to enclose it so the dogs do not go under the deck in case some type of animal is hiding out under there that could hurt them at night.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Damn J... looking good.

Don't sweat the cable thing... I've been a cord cutter since 2011. 5 years and still going strong. Although I do have internet. Maybe you can do DSL
Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Beautiful house. Congrats

Quick Reply: CCColtsicehockey's Home Projects Thread