Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

P90x and P90x2

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Thank you sir! I'm nervously excited to get started on Saturday.
Expect pain. And soreness.

Only a 'vee bit though.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Expect pain. And soreness.

Only a 'vee bit though.
Oh I know. All I keep getting from people are the stories about how sore you are after it. My wife's co-worker and her husband started it a few weeks ago and she told my wife that her husband nearly puked after the first work out. There's something to look forward to.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Ok, made it through 13 pages of good info.

It's obvious after reading through the thread that the diet is the hardest thing to stick to. I'm 99% sure that will be my issue, too. I'm a late night food junkie so it's going to be hell not eating before bed, but if I don't change that now I fear I'll never be able to change it. I'm 6'3", 225lbs, and I'm very nervous to see what my body fat % is. I carry all my weight in my belly/chest.

I'm a little disappointed that the OP is the only one that posted photos. No homo but I was hoping to see some photos of the results I read about. I'm probably going to risk the ridicule and post before and after photos. I think seeing my (hopefully former) self in this thread will keep me motivated to continue the program. I'd rather post photos here instead of the P90X community because I'm on here daily, so I'll be more inclined to keep up with the program with motivation from my fellow AZine P90Xers.

Only 3 more days before the big 1st workout. Can't wait to get started!

My Goals
1) Lose body fat, gain muscle
2) Be able to dunk again (has been 5 years, came close lately but not close enough)
3) Improved strength/muscle definition
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
^ I dont think most of us are at the 90 Day point or at the point they want to be quite yet. I have fat pictures if you want to see those though :ghey:
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, made it through 13 pages of good info.

It's obvious after reading through the thread that the diet is the hardest thing to stick to. I'm 99% sure that will be my issue, too. I'm a late night food junkie so it's going to be hell not eating before bed, but if I don't change that now I fear I'll never be able to change it. I'm 6'3", 225lbs, and I'm very nervous to see what my body fat % is. I carry all my weight in my belly/chest.

I'm a little disappointed that the OP is the only one that posted photos. No homo but I was hoping to see some photos of the results I read about. I'm probably going to risk the ridicule and post before and after photos. I think seeing my (hopefully former) self in this thread will keep me motivated to continue the program. I'd rather post photos here instead of the P90X community because I'm on here daily, so I'll be more inclined to keep up with the program with motivation from my fellow AZine P90Xers.

Only 3 more days before the big 1st workout. Can't wait to get started!

My Goals
1) Lose body fat, gain muscle
2) Be able to dunk again (has been 5 years, came close lately but not close enough)
3) Improved strength/muscle definition
the diet is the crucial part. for those that are following it, it's really impressive and commendable.

for me, i just love food too much. i'm trying to be diligent about watching portion sizes and what i eat/drink. so while i'm pleased to see results, i understand that they'd be better if i was following the diet.

as for the pictures, i'm just not the type that wants to post pics online. so i can't help you there.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by gr8ness97
^ I dont think most of us are at the 90 Day point or at the point they want to be quite yet. I have fat pictures if you want to see those though :ghey:
Ha ha, well, not like I only want to see fat pictures, but until you complete the program that's all there would be, so why not? I mean the whole point of P90X is to show the progress, beginning and end results. Meh this is starting to sound :ghey:. I was just hoping to see actual results, not just reading about them. Anyone can say they lost X amount of weight or gained X amount of muscle, but I don't always believe it unless I see proof. Like if the infomercial only said you'd get from this to that but didn't show actual photos of the results, would you have purchased it anyway? I doubt it.

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
as for the pictures, i'm just not the type that wants to post pics online. so i can't help you there.
I gotcha. I mean I know that's what the majority feel and that's why there's only one member who posted pictures, so maybe I should start posting on the P90X website. I just thought we could all be adult enough to feel ok with posting photos without feeling odd, but then again, this is Acurazine Ramblings, so yeah, makes sense lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

I try my best to follow the diet. I really do.
it's hard though.

Not because I don't like the food as part of the "diet"...but I'm not home a lot fo the time. The diet also requires some noticeable time cooking in the kitchen. That's time I don't always have. For the most pat I like the food in the diet, I just can't always be around to follow it exactly. And I feel that's what probably holds me back the most.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

ST169, I see what you did there....

I've lost about 10 pounds, then gained about 4 back. Regardless, I dont have any difference in definition quite yet, but I do feel different in how I feel (Lighter, for instance). Pics wouldnt really show much. I get the feeling that some of the other guys are the same way.

If you need motivation, whiskers thread says it all to me.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
don't know what that is....

Meet and Greet.

Ok Plyo is awesome. I had trouble walking up and down the stairs this morning.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
In the Mid-South meow

ST169, I see what you did there....

I've lost about 10 pounds, then gained about 4 back. Regardless, I dont have any difference in definition quite yet, but I do feel different in how I feel (Lighter, for instance). Pics wouldnt really show much. I get the feeling that some of the other guys are the same way.

If you need motivation, whiskers thread says it all to me.
Lol just stiring the pot a bit.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
add me...maybe

I'm looking to get in better shape. I'm not really that big right now; 5'11 180. I work out 2x week, and play football on the weekend as well as basketball sometimes during the week, so I guess I'm in pretty good shape right now. However, I want to get more tone and maybe drop 5 - 10 pounds and get my vertical back again (lost about 4 - 5 inches, probably from the 10 pound weight gain since the last time I was able to grab the rim. I only dunked once in high school, but I have been able to grab the rim easily up until 5 - 6 years ago. If I can get at least that i'll be satisfied.

As far as diet goes, I eat pretty healthy, I drink water on a regular basis and eat fresh fruits/veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). I avoid fast food for the most part and stay away from fried foods. My weakness however is candy. I'm a sucker for Starbursts and Skittles and once I start eating them, its very hard for me to stop.

I hear A LOT of people saying P90x works and I'm almost sold, I'm just kind of nervous about some of the injuries that people have reported; a couple of guys said they injured their backs and couldn't move for 30 hours.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
I hear A LOT of people saying P90x works and I'm almost sold, I'm just kind of nervous about some of the injuries that people have reported; a couple of guys said they injured their backs and couldn't move for 30 hours.
A lot of time in P90x, he talks about how keeping on going till you feel the burn...."making the last three reps burn"...etc. But there's also the element of listening to your body and knowing your limits.

On both Plyo and Legs & Back, I have to take it easy when I'm doing any exercises that involve my right knee. I've never injured it in any way. But I know something doesn't feel right. Or it doesn't feel as strong/stable as my left knee. I can do all the moves with good form, but it's almost like it feels weak internally....like something could snap or blow in it if I push it too hard. Because of that, I take it easy on that knee. I don't want to risk having lifelong problems with it.

And yes, sometimes things happen without warning....but listen to your body. Pushing yourself is what produces results...just know there is a fine line between pushing yourself, and pushing too far. Good form is also extremely critical to avoiding injury. Don't use more weight just because your ego wants to say you did 'x' pounds with a certain exercise. Bump it down, and use good form. You'll get better results that way anyways.

I know I'm preaching to the choir.
Just thought I would throw that out there.

I'll get off my soap box now....
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

I have my moments when I feel like I'm not pushing myself hard enough....
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
In the Mid-South meow

A lot of time in P90x, he talks about how keeping on going till you feel the burn...."making the last three reps burn"...etc. But there's also the element of listening to your body and knowing your limits.

On both Plyo and Legs & Back, I have to take it easy when I'm doing any exercises that involve my right knee. I've never injured it in any way. But I know something doesn't feel right. Or it doesn't feel as strong/stable as my left knee. I can do all the moves with good form, but it's almost like it feels weak internally....like something could snap or blow in it if I push it too hard. Because of that, I take it easy on that knee. I don't want to risk having lifelong problems with it.

And yes, sometimes things happen without warning....but listen to your body. Pushing yourself is what produces results...just know there is a fine line between pushing yourself, and pushing too far. Good form is also extremely critical to avoiding injury. Don't use more weight just because your ego wants to say you did 'x' pounds with a certain exercise. Bump it down, and use good form. You'll get better results that way anyways.

I know I'm preaching to the choir.
Just thought I would throw that out there.

I'll get off my soap box now....
Great advice. That's probably the #1 thing I took from the P90X literature reading the other night is to know your limit and not go past it. I've had some knee and back issues in the past few years, so I'm definitely not going to cross that line and make any of those issues any worse. Hopefully by doing that this program will only strengthen my knees and back... key word hopefully.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Pre-Day 1 photos. 6'3", 225.4lbs. Just call me Mr. Smiley for now on. I took the fit test after the photos and I passed everything except for the wall squat. Held it for 53 seconds, needed to get to a minute, but my damn pesky cat bothered me and I gave up early. I passed everything else pretty handily. Can't wait to get started tomorrow. The back photos really make me cring. Acne and love handles are not very flatering.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

At least you arent 3 inches shorter and 25 pounds heavier like I am
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 AM
In the Mid-South meow

^ Well hopefully the results will prove that it doesn't matter what you look like now, it's what you'll look like after 90 days. I'm trying to stay focused on that, because right now I'm 25% happy with how I look. I want to be 100% in 3 months.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

No homo, but it looks like you have a good chance of some pretty good results if you follow the workouts and diet. Seems like you already have some muscle mass in your arms and even in your traps. Once the body fat starts dropping off, that'll bring out the sculpture especially as you put on more muscle.

I'm 6'3" or so with a pretty broad frame, so I know I can hold the muscle well...but I started from nothing really. Fairly lean (still with body fat to lose though) and almost no muscle mass. Still having trouble (partly that's mindset I think, too) putting the muscle. I am starting to see some difference...and I know I'm pushing hard...I just have to keep reminding myself that gaining muscle doesn't happen overnight.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
In the Mid-South meow

^ No homo taken. I appreciate it. I agree, I do have some muscle mass already due to working out off and on since high school. I always had decent sized biceps for as long as I can remember, so I'm guessing part of it is genetics. My main problem is my fat % and has been that since graduating college. I know even if I don't gain any more muscle mass and just loose lbs I'll look much better, but my problem is I can't just diet, it doesn't work for me. I need to be in a regiment and I think gaining strength will make me feel more confident sticking with an eating plan. That's why I'm thinking this is the exact program I need.

My standing vertical jump is currently 20.75". Although it's 4x the minimum on the fit test, it's not nearly good enough to get the ups I need to dunk again. In high school/college I was doing ridiculous dunks and I want to get back to that. I know it sounds so childish to have that as one of my main goals, but it really was something that made me feel incredibly unique, and I'm lacking that lately. I have to get at least to 24" + to really feel like I can get up there again.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:46 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Just finished Chest and Back and Ab Ripper X... MOTHER OF GOD!

Last edited by SuperTrooper169; 05-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

^ I did Kenpo for the first time today. Yikes!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM

doing kenpo tonight....

Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM

i couldn't lift my arms above my head the following day...
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

doing kenpo tonight....

hook uppercut....sidekick.

Does anyone ever find themselves randomly humming the intro music or thinking of a routine?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Team Owner

You're gonna have just as much fun if not more with Plyo tomorrow.

doing kenpo tonight....

I like Kenpo a lot. Not as hard as the others, but still intense. Definitely my favorite in terms of cardio.

Does anyone ever find themselves randomly humming the intro music or thinking of a routine?

Sometimes I find it funny. Other times.....
Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I had the same reaction the first time I did it, and I was sore for two days. That's the last time I was really sore from a workout though.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM

the first i did chest/back and legs/back were for me.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Did Plyometrics today. I did a lot better keeping up with it than I did with yesterday's work out, but damn that was intense! Legs were burning big time and I felt like I burned A LOT of calories. This is the DVD that's going to help me get my hops back I hope.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Yes.

I like Kenpo a lot. Not as hard as the others, but still intense. Definitely my favorite in terms of cardio.
Ditto. Of the cardio that i have done so far i like Kenpo the best. Plyo
Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Week 3 is starting for me since i restarted. Knee is holding up. Gets a little sore in the Plyo and legs and back but its ok. This week im going to do a little heavier and less rep to try to push the mass a little bit (seeing this is the last week for a bit on this routine) I did the same in week 2 and had muscle burn the next day after each weight routine. I had to reorder the recovery drink too.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Feels like I was thrown out of a moving car then ran over a few times today. I really don't know how I'm going to do shoulders & arms and then abs tonight. Yikes.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Feels like I was thrown out of a moving car then ran over a few times today. I really don't know how I'm going to do shoulders & arms and then abs tonight. Yikes.
I felt that way too.
But I LOVE the shoulders & arms workout. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

On another note, I'm starting to think I may have slightly strained something.

Sunday morning, I woke up with a spot on the right/rear side at the base of my neck....kind of where the neck/shoulder/back all meet up....that was shooting with pain at even the slightest movement. I thought I may have just slept wrong, but it still hurts a noticeable amount today. I think it's better than yesterday, but I still am very aware of it. Only reason I'm thinking it might have been the workout now (other than the fact that it still hurts), is when I got out of bed this morning, I saw my pullup bar that hangs on my bedroom door. Something triggered in my head making me think it might have been pullups. I tried one, and I could definitely feel that spot. Didn't render me unable to to a pullup, but I felt it with just a regular pullup.

If I had to guess it may have been the towel pull ups on Saturday. Seems like those may be just the right movement to hurt whatever is around there. I'm just surprised that if it was because of the workout, that I didn't feel a thing at all until the next day.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
This shit is retarded.

I borrowed the DVDs from a friend to see what its all about...I did the chest/back yesterday...I made it 40 minutes out of the 60, when it got to the point of doing everything again in backwards order I said fuck that noise and went to the bathroom to heave.

I tried Plyo today....4 minutes of the warm and I said enough.

I'll try it again tonight, but the guy is annoying as hell .

Its also VERY hard to get used to this kind of a work when all I've done for 10 years is go do 30 min of cardio and then lift. And do it at my own pace.

This shit is just brutal.

And I'm sore today, but no more than when I get back into a gym routine for the time, That part actually feels good.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
This shit is retarded.

When I first read that, I thought you meant it's just a useless piece of crap....

I'll try it again tonight
If you mean Plyo, I think Cardio X can be used as a replacement as well if you think Plyo is just too ree-donkulous right now. It's still an intense workout, just not as 'WTFBBQ?!' as Plyo.

but the guy is annoying as hell .
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM

yea, horton does get annoying.

"you know what you gotta do!
beachbody.com!
boodooodooodoodod and click!"
Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Team Owner

"What we're doing now is called ballistic stretching....before, that was called static streching....*demonstrates*....static...DON'T STOP BECAUSE OF ME!!! *looks behind and notices no one did*"
Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting my last week today. I have had some great results. Lost a little over 20lbs. I wish I had stuck to the diet the last month but this isn't just a 90 day program for me. I plan on using P90x as long as I can and following the diet wasn't something I wanted to. Like others have said watch what you eat and don't drink as much if at all.

Pictures coming soon.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 PM

"What we're doing now is called ballistic stretching....before, that was called static streching....*demonstrates*....static...DON'T STOP BECAUSE OF ME!!! *looks behind and notices no one did*"

"this isn't ab ripper 101! this is ab ripper x! i hate it, but i love it!"

Originally Posted by JT Money
Starting my last week today. I have had some great results. Lost a little over 20lbs. I wish I had stuck to the diet the last month but this isn't just a 90 day program for me. I plan on using P90x as long as I can and following the diet wasn't something I wanted to. Like others have said watch what you eat and don't drink as much if at all.

Pictures coming soon.
i haven't been using it as a 90 day program either. mostly a way to work out (and most importantly, know how to work out) in between basketball and soccer.

i plan on using it as long as i can as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
This shit is retarded.

I borrowed the DVDs from a friend to see what its all about...I did the chest/back yesterday...I made it 40 minutes out of the 60, when it got to the point of doing everything again in backwards order I said fuck that noise and went to the bathroom to heave.

I'll try it again tonight, but the guy is annoying as hell .

Its also VERY hard to get used to this kind of a work when all I've done for 10 years is go do 30 min of cardio and then lift. And do it at my own pace.

This shit is just brutal.

And I'm sore today, but no more than when I get back into a gym routine for the time, That part actually feels good.
I feel your pain man. I almost lost my lunch yesterday during Pylometrics. It's a brutal cardio workout. And I was like you, same routine almost everytime I went to the gym. Run 3.1 miles on the tredmill then lift weights for the rest of the time. It's definitely going to take some getting used to, but I have to say it's been years since I've felt THIS sore, which means it's absolutely working.

Quick Reply: P90x and P90x2