Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally Posted by SwervinCL

For once. This is amazing!!!!!

welcome to the "new" AZ
Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
There is no question whatsoever. Scientifically, life has begun.
Granted, but is that fertilized egg a living being? I think not.

Originally Posted by fdl
Wow, thats just incredibly closed minded thinking. No offence, but have you ever studied ethics theory, maybe some philosophy, perhaps studied moral dilemmas?

Read this page and then get back to me. It may help you understand how we can argue abstractly.

http://www.miracosta.cc.ca.us/home/lmoon/ET.html
I might read that later, but I don't see how that can change what I'm saying. I understand what you guys are saying, but the fact still remains that if we were aborted, we would not be able to have these feelings...

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Here is what I believe.

#1 I believe the pregnant woman should have the final say to what she wants to do with her baby. Have an abortion, have the baby and put him/her up for adoption, or simple keep the baby.

#2 People who are Pro-Life should stay home, voice their opinion like here online but stay the F* out of the abortion clinic. We don't need folks like you to give more stress to already troubled mothers.

#3 It's a moral issue. If you are Pro Choice and you think you should have the abortion, then do it. If you are Pro Life and think the baby should be saved, then when your pregnant or your significant other is pregnant, have the baby......

Bottom line is, don't tell other what to do. You're not perfect yourself, what made your decision and opinion more important then ones who carrying the child.
I love you.

Originally Posted by fdl
The most amazing thing about this discussion is that it has remained very civil I thought it would turn into a clusterfck of a thread.
Impressive isn't it?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Astroboy
welcome to the "new" AZ

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=79

Probably the only harsh comment in the thread, of course directed at me
Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
This is how I read TME's staement. She'd rather her mother choose to save her own life, rather than bring a child into the world without being ready, able, or capable of caring for it. And this is exactly my opinion too. I feel abortion is a better choice than attempting to raise a child alone, or without any stability.
EXACTLY...

Children need stability. I feel that it is very selfish for someone to bring a child into this world, that they have no means or able to "make it work"....

I would far rather see the child get adopted. But sometimes thats just not an option either. We cant kid ourselfs and say that "not having sex" is out of the question. We're human! Its gonna happen. If the birth control fails, then it fails. Then you have the RIGHT to do what you please.

I dont think anything over a First Trimester abortion should be legal though.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Granted, but is that fertilized egg a living being? I think not.
I guess that totally depends on how you classify a living being. Like I said, that's up to you.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594

Probably the only harsh comment in the thread, of course directed at me
lol, i'm allowed to break my own rules
Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atsxdude

I dont believe that for a second. Unless you are suicidal. thats just self preservation there. Death or a chance(albeit not much of a chance). Logical sense would be to choose a chance.
So in your mind, no person in their right mind could have made such decision without being suicidal. Therefore, you concluded that I must be suicidal...
well thank you doctor, perhaps I should attend your next lecture, may I ask which university you will be lecturing next... or should I check myself into a mental hospital since I value my mom's decision more than my own because I love her.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by SwervinCL

For once. This is amazing!!!!!
Thanks to our moderators and admins for keeping this thread civilized. Especially the D&R moderators
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
So in your mind, no person in their right mind could have made such decision without being suicidal. Therefore, you concluded that I must be suicidal...
well thank you doctor, perhaps I should attend your next lecture, may I ask which university you will be lecturing next... or should I check myself into a mental hospital since I value my mom's decision more than my own because I love her.
no, i concluded that you were full of shit.
Nom Nom Nom Nom

lol, i'm allowed to break my own rules
:hipocrite:

RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
if she had an abortion, you wouldn't exist. Nobody would know you, there is no need for a future for you. You know what I mean? You woudn't exist and therefore you would have no friends and nobody cared about you. Yes, there would be things you could have made an impact in this world, but none of that would have mattered if your mother decided to have that abortion.
And THIS is the choice and consequences just made for that future child. So once again, at what point do we have the right to determine that future child's right to live?
The Boss

Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Banned

but since it is hypothetical, you will never have to be in that situation.
Suzuka Master

atsxdude is the one who knows the "meaning of life." He's also made us aware of the fact that someone put us on this planet. Amazing isn't it? He has the answers that no one else does!
Nom Nom Nom Nom

I dont believe that for a second. Unless you are suicidal. thats just self preservation there. Death or a chance(albeit not much of a chance). Logical sense would be to choose a chance.
Thats not your choice!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Banned

atsxdude is the one who knows the "meaning of life." He's also made us aware of the fact that someone put us on this planet. Amazing isn't it? He has the answers that no one else does!
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you noticed, there are very few facts in this thread and a whole lot of emotional people.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by leedogg
And THIS is the choice and consequences just made for that future child. So once again, at what point do we have the right to determine that future child's right to live?
Morally, you are going to think your way and I'm going to think mine. Fortunately for myself, we do legally have that right.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

And I would rather my mom gave me up for adoption. Fortunately we, as sentient beings can choose and make this decision. The basic fundamental breakdown of an abortion is that it places the right to choose of the adult over the future right to choose of that child's. Which comes down to my earlier example illustrating at what point do we determine that that new being has the right to live?
My feeling is I would rather let my my mother choose what's best for her life than to bring me into this world and have to worry about so many things and not be ready for it.
People make mistakes, and they shouldn't be punished for it because they made one mistake.
The Creator

I don't think he said all that, no need to be hostile.

He has a point.

You're arguing that an unborn life can't choose to be born because it is unborn, but you say you would choose not to be born.

Besides that...

It's a decision you can't conciously make... under any circumstance. It's just like saying you'd push your mom out of the way of a moving bus... sacrificing yourself.

It's easy to say you would, it's easy to think you would... but until you have to do it... who knows.

If your mom needed a new heart to live, would you kill yourself to give her yours? It's a romantic idea to think you would... but until it's a reality... who knows...
The Creator

Morally, you are going to think your way and I'm going to think mine. Fortunately for myself, we do legally have that right.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
The Boss

everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you noticed, there are very few facts in this thread and a whole lot of emotional people.

For Your Information. TME has a phD in psychology. She works for a very credible firm and volunteers at the local hospitals on her own time. Part of her volunteers involves helping single mothers dealing with pregnancy and people dealing with AIDS.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think he said all that, no need to be hostile.

He has a point.

You're arguing that an unborn life can't choose to be born because it is unborn, but you say you would choose not to be born.

Besides that...

It's a decision you can't conciously make... under any circumstance. It's just like saying you'd push your mom out of the way of a moving bus... sacrificing yourself.

It's easy to say you would, it's easy to think you would... but until you have to do it... who knows.

If your mom needed a new heart to live, would you kill yourself to give her yours? It's a romantic idea to think you would... but until it's a reality... who knows...
Adam: I think I would give up my heart hence my life for my mom to have a chance to live. I also understand what you are trying to say.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
The Boss

^ would you give up your life for me
Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

no
Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
The Creator

Adam: I think I would give up my heart hence my life for my mom to have a chance to live. I also understand what you are trying to say.
I don't doubt you believe that.

Nevertheless, it's one of those things that you just can't decide until you're in the situation.

When it comes down to it, I'd bet most people would choose self preservation over ANYONE else... despite their best intentions. It's natural.

The only case where self preservation seems to be thrown unanimously out the window is in the case of a child. This is why your mother wouldn't even take your heart. She'd die. So you'd never be in the situation to choose her over you to begin with.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

no

Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't doubt you believe that.

Nevertheless, it's one of those things that you just can't decide until you're in the situation.

When it comes down to it, I'd bet most people would choose self preservation over ANYONE else... despite their best intentions. It's natural.

The only case where self preservation seems to be thrown unanimously out the window is in the case of a child. This is why your mother wouldn't even take your heart. She'd die. So you'd never be in the situation to choose her over you to begin with.
That's interesting considering we're discussing abortion. I do agree with you though.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
no

Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

For Your Information. TME has a phD in psychology. She works for a very credible firm and volunteers at the local hospitals on her own time. Part of her volunteers involves helping single mothers dealing with pregnancy and people dealing with AIDS.
And what does that have to do with my statement? I'm talking about this thread as a whole.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
The Creator

That's interesting considering we're discussing abortion. I do agree with you though.

Which is why people use the "it's not a person yet" argument as a crutch.

We all need to believe that in order to justify the un-natural act of aborting our child.

It's a choice we have the right to make.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Which is why people use the "it's not a person yet" argument as a crutch.

We all need to believe that in order to justify the un-natural act of aborting our child.

It's a choice we have the right to make.
I don't think people use that as a crutch. It just proves the difference between the two situations. The fact that many people have abortions and that many would even consider it shows how different a born child is from an unborn child.

No parent in their right mind would think of killing their children. The vast majority would do anything to preserve their childrens' lives. But for some reason many people would abort. hmmmmm
Old 10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
RAR

My feeling is I would rather let my my mother choose what's best for her life than to bring me into this world and have to worry about so many things and not be ready for it.
People make mistakes, and they shouldn't be punished for it because they made one mistake.
And would you like to make this decision for every new life out there?

And what if they later realized that having this abortion was a mistake? Hmm I wonder if they could sue the state for not protecting the life of the child while they were under stress and duress and succumbed to a moment of weakness?

Last edited by leedogg; 10-19-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:39 PM
The Creator

Old 10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

no, but that's exactly what you pro-life people want to be able to do.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
The Creator

I don't think people use that as a crutch. It just proves the difference between the two situations. The fact that many people have abortions and that many would even consider it shows how different a born child is from an unborn child.

No parent in their right mind would think of killing their children. The vast majority would do anything to preserve their childrens' lives. But for some reason many people would abort. hmmmmm
It's a crutch. Without that rationale it would be almost impossible to volunteer the death of your child.

I'm not saying this in a bad way. It's needed to justify abortion, it's a crutch. Without believing that it is not yet a child you would be inclined to preserve the life. You said it yourself.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

so im assuming that statement is 100% false.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
The Creator

so im assuming that statement is 100% false.
i guess the world will never know...

i'm just raising an eyebrow is all.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

And what if they later realized that having this abortion was a mistake? Hmm I wonder if they could sue the state for not protecting the life of the child while they were under stress and duress and succumbed to a moment of weakness?
Each situation is different and everyone is entitled to make their own decisions...no one said anything about making decisions for others.

And what the fuck are you talking about a moment of weakness? Are you kidding me? It's not like abortion is a murder in the heat of passion. It's not like "oh noes! I'm pregnant shit I'll go over to the abortion clinic RIGHT NOW and get that baby sucked outta me!" You have to make an appointment...you have ample time to think things over. Granted some people do regret the decision afterwards, but they had plenty of time to think about the consequences...
The Boss

And what does that have to do with my statement? I'm talking about this thread as a whole.
It means that some people do help others for a living. Sometimes you come across a person who's opinion actually is backed by something than just a personal opinion. In any case, I believe this thread is far more civil than most thread I've came across lately.
RAR

no, but that's exactly what you pro-life people want to be able to do.

Wrong. You want to protect the mothers right to choose whether they can kill the kid or not and to hell with the rights of that new life. I want to protect the child's right to choose life until they are able to make the choice for themselves.