Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Microsoft: Xbox One News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
LOL @ some of you guys getting all worked up over a gaming console
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (05-26-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
^ Stop making stupid assumptions

What if finding the number of people is used for 3D content without glasses, future proofing the console. Also companies file shit loads of patents just to have it so people will license it from them.

1. true that is something I didn't take into account, but again, you dont know if file sizes will be compressed and also how many games will be stored on them. Also you dont know if its expandable or not.

2. Look at the post above yours, no fee for used games is another report. I highly doubt there will be one. If there is I will agree with you and say they messed up, but I dont think they would

3. No it isn't but it may just be a sign in... I'm sure they know what they are doing they aren't that stupid.

4. I dont completely know the hardware specs of the PS4, but isn't it similar or the same? AMD cores, with 8GB RAM. You dont even know the PS4 harddrive size do you?

5. What living room doesn't have an internet connection now a days?

6. Whats your point? They sell the One with the kinect. So connect it.

7. Yes this is the only real downfall you mentioned so far. I would say it does suck to pay $50 ($35 if your smart) for this.
Hi, my name is stupid consumer and I will literally give away my consumer rights just to play a game on MS console

1. MS has stated non removable hard drive. If you have even bothered to read the stuff you would have found it here:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...e-hard-drives/

2. read what I said again if you didn't quite understand it the first time.

3. again, read what I said again if you didn't quite understand it the first time. right now I can take my Halo 3 disk to my friends house and he can play it. no further action required. When I leave, I can take it back or when he is done, he can return it to me. Still only 1 console can play the game at a time.

4. Were you born yesterday and just decided to make that up?
PS4 8GB GDDR5 ram 176GB sec system bandwidth. 8 core CPU, a GPU with 50% more power than the xbox one due to 18 vs. 12 compute units and more bandwidth to the GPU. MS has 8GB of DDR3 ram with a band with of 68GB/sec and 32MB 166GB sec e-dram accessible to the GPU. MS has stated 500 GB hdd, Sony had not stated a size as of yet.

5. Why is one required for the console to function? Sony has stated one will not be required for the PS4 to operate.

6. I guess in your haste to try and be s smart ass, you missed the patent that they filed regarding the connect and one of their intended purposes in regards to the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America just in case you are confused). You know that patent where they can restrict media playback based upon the # of people detected in the room (the actual link is further up in the thread)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Am I in the right sub forum?

YeuEmMaiMai, how come you've never supported your arguments this well in R&P?

Why is there an argument here anyway?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I piss on all your consoles, PC gaming for the win!

PS I own all consoles, they mostly collect dust, PS3 has better specs then the current Xbox, but do you know why the current Xbox is still leading sales? Because it has a zillion more games than PS3 that people actually want to play. You must never forget how important it is to have marketable content. If I buy a Ferrari but am only around to drive around my block, I won't be driving that Ferrari for too long, I'll take a GT-R instead and drive all over.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I think the list of exclusives has shrunken. I did buy my PS3 years ago because of Blu Ray and Metal Gear Solid 4. The only Xbox exclusives that appeal to me are Halo, Gears, and maybe Fable since Forza is countered by Gran Turismo.

Here is the list of Xbox exclusives. Lots of Kinect games for obvious reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...360-only_games
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
MattB07TL (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 145 Posts
^ Lol that's why I think I'm going ps4
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Am I in the right sub forum?

YeuEmMaiMai, how come you've never supported your arguments this well in R&P?

Why is there an argument here anyway?
R&P is overrun by liberals so that's a lost cause IMHO

as for the Xbox one, this thing isn't a gaming mahine first, it's an consumer rights destroyer IMHO.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I'll admit i didnt really know ps4 specs, I remember reading something about them that they should be similar so I just didnt bother to look it up.

Anyway, for now i have no reason to upgrade, but when I do it will most likely be the one because of Forza/halo(which probably wont come out, but 343 studios is supposed to be working on something else which i may or may not be interested in.)

Also like my post said the xbox has an expandable hard drive (USB)

and again while the whole lending friend thing may be complicated it also may be not. My point was your basing stuff off of rumors, just wait and if its a pain then complain.

As for the patent, its just a patent, you have no clue what they are doing with it. Theres another way it could be seen thats not so pessimistic. What if MS can release movies the same day as it is released in theaters and this is a way to still make a per viewer fee on that.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
skgmjlP.gif
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
CUNextTuesday (05-29-2013), justnspace (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 AM

The real reason why I won't own an XBOX One.. it's full of hate mongering parthenophobic homophobic 10 year olds.

XFqRmi7.jpg
alexSU (06-04-2013), Undying Dreams (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
that problem exist on all consoles and even PC ^^^

Originally Posted by MattB07TL
^ Lol that's why I think I'm going ps4
turn the Kinect around?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 145 Posts
^But it's still listening...
Rockstar21 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll admit i didnt really know ps4 specs, I remember reading something about them that they should be similar so I just didnt bother to look it up.

Anyway, for now i have no reason to upgrade, but when I do it will most likely be the one because of Forza/halo(which probably wont come out, but 343 studios is supposed to be working on something else which i may or may not be interested in.)

Also like my post said the xbox has an expandable hard drive (USB)

and again while the whole lending friend thing may be complicated it also may be not. My point was your basing stuff off of rumors, just wait and if its a pain then complain.

As for the patent, its just a patent, you have no clue what they are doing with it. Theres another way it could be seen thats not so pessimistic. What if MS can release movies the same day as it is released in theaters and this is a way to still make a per viewer fee on that.
The 360 technically has expandable storage via USB and look at the severe limitations placed upon that.

As for that kinect patent? Did you really just say that? I keep asking why they need it.... And we do have a clue as to what they want to do with it....
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MattB07TL
^But it's still listening...
Unplug it
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

we have no clue haha. You interpreted it one way, i did the other for the sake of the argument. And I believe neither is true
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

we have no clue haha. You interpreted it one way, i did the other for the sake of the argument. And I believe neither is true
Oobviously someone was not paying attention when I posted this (Please take the time to note the bolded part).

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.

No, really. It’s that blunt. From the abstract: “The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...u-for-the-mpaa
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Majofo (05-29-2013), Undying Dreams (06-06-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM

Water sucks.. it really really sucks.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

That video is a bunch of moving blobs lol
Undying Dreams (06-06-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 AM
dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
think I'm gonna stick to my jtag'd 360 til someone figures out a workaround on this one.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
Oobviously someone was not paying attention when I posted this (Please take the time to note the bolded part).
what i said goes with that statement though
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

what i said goes with that statement though
What I bolded is crystal clear as to what they are planning to do with that patent. Only someone with blindes on would ignore that and claim it is uknown...

On a side note,

From the [un]offical MS puppet Paul Thurrot:
http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-one-preview

Originally Posted by Paul Thurrot
Pricing
Microsoft did not reveal pricing for the new console, and my guess is that its’ waiting for Sony to price the PlayStation 4 first. You may recall that I had previously reported there would be two pricing models for the console: a standalone version for $499 and a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at a cost of $15 per month. Since then, Microsoft has cancelled plans for the subsidized version and my sources tell me that there will be just one version of the console that costs $499.

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 05-31-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

haha this is gonna go back and forth forever dude so this is my last on it.

Currently there's nothing when you rent movies that says only this many people can watch at one time. Sure they can put that in. But the only thing that has a charge on a per viewer thing is movie theaters. So now this patent could allow me to watch Iron man 3 right now at say $5/person. This could allow such an activity. And microsoft wanting to go big in entertainment this can do things for them. Not limiting how many people can watch a movie.

If you cant see how this patent can be used for good its because you're neglected to think MS is some evil bastard, which they are in some respects (paying for xbl)

I dont wanna argue towards this anymore since i am not open minded toward your realization and it seems like you aren't to mine.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
Xbox One: Details emerge on licensing, online connectivity, and privacy
To connect or not to connectThe earliest (and biggest) rumor about the next Xbox has been whether or not it would require a constant internet connection to play games or use. That rumor started months before the official unveil and details remained murky after the event.

It’s not surprise that Microsoft is pushing for online connections with the next Xbox. After all, next generation games will be literally powered by both your Xbox and servers thousands of miles from your home. It’s actually a clever trick to combat the Wii U and PlayStation 4. Your Xbox One will actually get more powerful over time.

The following are examples that Microsoft has listed on their site as benefits for using the cloud:
  • Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.
  • Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates.
  • Never miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with family on Skype. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while you play games or watch TV. Or enjoy group video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.
  • After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
  • You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.

Those sound like fairly good reasons for connecting your Xbox One to the internet. However, there are some potential cons to this approach. A persistent connection is apparently not required. However, if you want to game offline you can only do so for 24 hours or one hour from a console that isn’t your own. Offline gaming won’t be possible until you re-establish a connection (you can watch live TV or disc-based movies though). The reason? The Xbox One is designed (and required) to verify if your system, application, or games need updates or if you’ve acquired new games. Additionally checking if you’ve resold, traded in, or shared a game with a friend.

Licensing on the Xbox One

Needing to connect your Xbox One to the internet once in a 24 hour period to game may seem like con to a lot of people, but there are some pluses to this approach. You’ll benefit from this semi-constant connection when playing games. Here’s how licensing will work on the next generation Xbox.

Again from the Microsoft/Xbox One site:
  • You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.
  • After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
  • Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
  • Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
  • Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
  • Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Something most of us have wanted for a long time is the ability to buy and download games the same day on our Xbox 360s. Now you can with the Xbox One. Whether you get your game through the cloud or a disc you’ll be able to access it anywhere you go through your Microsoft/Xbox account.

Your physical Xbox One will allow up to ten members of your “family” to log in with their accounts and play games you’ve installed.

Now for some cons. Microsoft has implement a system that allows you to sell your disc games to participating retailers. The issue is that publishers can enable or disable this for a specific game. So in some dark dystopian (near) future companies like Activision and EA may say you can resell your copies of Madden, but not Call of Duty. It’s also worth pointing out, that this system only mentions “participating retailers” but not individuals. Does this mean you can’t give your friend Halo 5 for ten bucks? No. You can give a disc-based game to a friend, without fees, so long as they’ve been on your friends list for at least 30 days. This move should stifle direct sales between two individuals. This also dependent on game publishers.

Privacy: Is your Kinect going to listen to your 24 hours a day?

Another concern that the internet had after the unveil of the Xbox One centered on privacy and the Kinect. So Microsoft has given consumers control over their privacy and date. Again, from the Xbox site here is how you can control that data:
  • By design, you will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup. The system will navigate you through key privacy options, like automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used. When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded.
  • If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences.
  • You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission. Here are a few examples of potential future scenarios: A fitness game could measure heart rate data to provide you with improved feedback on your workout, allow you to track your progress, or even measure calories burned. Or a card game could allow you to bluff your virtual opponent using your facial expressions.
  • While it’s faster to find what you’re looking for using your voice and gesture commands with Kinect, you can use a controller, your remote controls or your smart devices instead. And you can use all of these devices when Kinect is paused.

A lot of people feared that the Kinect would be able to listen to you when the Xbox One was off. Apparently, when off, the Xbox One is only listening for one command in its low-power state: “Xbox On”. It’s nice to know that you’re in control when the Kinect is on, off or paused. Some games though will require Kinect functionality (again, at the discretion of the game developers/publisher). That’s up to you to play or not play those games.
http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-one-de...ty-and-privacy
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

haha this is gonna go back and forth forever dude so this is my last on it.

Currently there's nothing when you rent movies that says only this many people can watch at one time. Sure they can put that in. But the only thing that has a charge on a per viewer thing is movie theaters. So now this patent could allow me to watch Iron man 3 right now at say $5/person. This could allow such an activity. And microsoft wanting to go big in entertainment this can do things for them. Not limiting how many people can watch a movie.

If you cant see how this patent can be used for good its because you're neglected to think MS is some evil bastard, which they are in some respects (paying for xbl)

I dont wanna argue towards this anymore since i am not open minded toward your realization and it seems like you aren't to mine.
that's right, because I resent the unwarranted intrusion into my house by a company that would even consider that patent.

as for that article saying that xbo only listens for one command, you do realise that it is software driven and as such the programming can be changed at any time to include other words or to enable recording at a whim, right?

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 06-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

I dont like the thing about going to a friends house to play a game. If you do that then you can't share that game with anyone else.

And look no used fees... that was blown way to far out of proportion. Same with this 24hr online checking/kinect restrictions that are present. The sharing thing is my biggest hate towards this, and really the only one.

I wonder why they need to move to game downloads though, why not just stick with discs? Prevent the sharing fiasco.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Why does MS have such a feature to Download games off the CD??? It causes too much of a headache
Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just my , but after reading everyone's responses to the Xbox one and its connectivity, "big brother" issues, cloud, etc. If one would really speculate the issues of privacy then you have to think about all the other sources of media that are "watching and listening". Cell phone companies track your every move and text and call. you think because you turn off location services its still not recording data from you? every time you search something on the internet you don't think Microsoft or Google is making point of that? Facebook posts, pinterest, signing in with four square? All of these things watch you. Just because the Xbox one says it is, its all of a sudden a big deal? If you have a meth lab in your living room I wouldn't suggest using the next gen consoles. but other than that is it really that much of an inconvenience seeing is how our everyday lives are tracked as consumers.

Again just my , I happen to be really excited for the next gen platform. I'm just pissed that I can play my old school Xbox games anymore
Undying Dreams (06-11-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
M$ should rename the console to Xbox Draconian.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
thought this was interesting.... so the Xbox one will be $499....

Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Ugh, $500. I was really hoping it would be cheaper. I guess I'll be waiting a bit to get one
Undying Dreams (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Ugh, $500. I was really hoping it would be cheaper. I guess I'll be waiting a bit to get one
Butt it comes with a sweet Kinect
Old 06-11-2013, 01:07 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Xbox Done
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
BraveDemon (06-11-2013), justnspace (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Originally Posted by allwhit3g
Again just my , I happen to be really excited for the next gen platform. I'm just pissed that I can play my old school Xbox games anymore
I agree with your whole post, but I decided to quote this in particular.

Just keep your 360 I know I will. They stated you can keep your gamertag and gamerscore, and your account will be usable on both consoles.

Good God, I'm going to have 4 consoles by the end of the year. ._.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Good God, I'm going to have 4 consoles by the end of the year. ._.
First World Problems

Majofo has 13 consoles..
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM

7tBfmUV.gif

kTvYpbH.gif

dzKIR8i.gif
justnspace (06-11-2013), MattB07TL (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
#ballin'!

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Xbox One News and Discussion Thread