Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

360, PS3, PC, Wii: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2

Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I need to get a capture card, I was planning to get one since COD4 that's one thing I liked about Halo... You could save your films and edit them easily. I don't know how to do that fancy slow-mo or fast forward stuff for YouTube but I'll try and learn.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGala
TommySalami and IGoToCostco, I'd like to see some vids of some of your matches! I'm glad I'll never have to face you since I'm on PS3!
I'm just glad I'm usually on Daniel's team (Costco) lol
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,928 Likes on 5,543 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGala
TommySalami and IGoToCostco, I'd like to see some vids of some of your matches! I'm glad I'll never have to face you since I'm on PS3!
+1

do you guys mind sharing about your playing style? I mean, any tips/tricks/pointers? What would you say are the mistakes n00bs usually make, I mean stuff that makes you shake your head? Thanks for any advice
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by srika
do you guys mind sharing about your playing style? I mean, any tips/tricks/pointers? What would you say are the mistakes n00bs usually make, I mean stuff that makes you shake your head? Thanks for any advice
+1

I need some tips too. I really dislike camping so I'm usually mobile 70% of the time. Is that bad in MW2?

Whats your GT Costco?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Honestly sometimes I'm a bit of a reckless player. I sprint a lot so I can cover a lot of ground, but I usually have quick reflexes so it helps to make up for it. I usually don't camp unless I'm sniping or it's a really good area, like the big house on Estate (you're pretty much immune to killstreaks from inside)

When I move across a map I try and take a route that most people wouldn't, and I always look forward. I try to stay hidden and usually have a silencer on my guns. On the instances when I do camp, I look at the routes that most people take. For instance on Estate, a lot of people try and sneak in through the back where the greenhouse is. I'll walk out onto the wooden balcony to see if anyone's coming, then if I can't get a killshot, I'll walk to the room with the couch in it and look for the guy below.

The thing I look for is movement. I was playing at my friend's house and people were watching me to learn (lol). I think the map was Scrapyard and I was running across the side of the map. some guy was shooting at me from out of the screen. I saw the red dot blip on my radar so I turned around to face the red dot on my radar saw the guy sticking out of a plane window and I shot him. Everyone was like wtf, how did you see him?

I'm a bit of a cheap bastard too. The #1 rule for beating me is don't miss if you shoot me. When I get shot in the open, there's no chance I'm going to run away, and when you do get shot there's a red parentheses facing the direction that the shots came from, so I instantly turn in the direction it came from, go prone, find the bad guy and shoot him. Its a bit of luck too, if the other guy's a good shot you have no chance really.

Also keep an eye out on areas where people tend to camp. A good example is Sub Base... on one side of the map there's a BMP or tank, and people love to come out of the buildings on either side. Watch the windows, FMJ helps a lot. Another thing.... when I do camp, once I kill one or two people, I plant a claymore through the same way in to cover my back, then I go another route.
  • Have quick reflexes and good awareness
  • Shoot to kill, not to injure
  • Listen for footsteps. Ninja Pro is your friend
  • Always try to stay hidden, or behind cover
  • Look around you so nobody can flank you
  • Check areas where you or other people would camp/wait

my gamertag is.........

I Go To Costco
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

woo thanks!

feel free to post any more advice if you like
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Honestly I'm not that good of a player.... I just try and play smarter than the other team. If you kill someone in one area, and it's clear, take cover a ways away, and wait for the same guy to come back and get revenge.... except he'll be expecting you to still be in that area, but you won't be! Don't be predictable! I pretty much never die in the same area that I previously died.

Claymores + scavenger will net you a ton of kills. Get used to their kill range and where a lot of traffic is. Put it a couple of feet away from a commonly used doorway, far enough so that it'll catch someone moving fast or sprinting, but more importantly close enough so they can't see it until it's too late. When they die, pick up the bag and put it in the same spot, one of their teammates will inevitably go the same way.

I don't know about you guys, and it sounds corny but sometimes I'll get into a groove. I'll kill two of their guys at the same time, move on, kill another, and another, and another and generally feel unstoppable. If you feel like that too, keep doing what you're doing. Once in a while I get focused like that and I just mow their whole team down.

Hell, I might go on in a bit after the game's over and I eat some more.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I shoot people

Don't know if this has been brought up, but does it seem like the shotguns have more distance in damage? People are killing me from across the room with their shotties. This didn't happen in MW1
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM

ah, another thing. On maps with a lot of camping corners like Terminal, if you're not using a rushing class like an SMG, let a teammate take the lead. Who cares if it's a public lobby, right? Let the stranger be the meatshield, then if he gets shot you'll know where the red dots will be at.

More on being unpredictable... kind of common sense, but if I use a stun/flash and get someone, I'll back up a few steps, throw another as if I'm about to rush them, and instead go around and shoot them in the back.

I read somewhere earlier that you can spectate people? What about in TDM? I guess that would help some people.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater
Don't know if this has been brought up, but does it seem like the shotguns have more distance in damage? People are killing me from across the room with their shotties. This didn't happen in MW1
It's those gay akimbo shotguns. Their kill range without SP is probably twice as far as some of the other shotguns.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks a lot - again, feel free to share more... and more

haha

WTF I had like 3 care packages stolen.... is this a glitch or something? how is this possible. I don't remember this happening when I first started getting em...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 PM

Nothing else really coming to mind, but I guess I'll share some of my favorite gun combos. I use everything, shotguns, handguns, machinepistols.... I like almost every gun except some of the LMGs, but my favorites are ARs and then SMGs.

M4A1 (I like the irons) + FMJ, stopping power. On-point bursts for long-range and small targets, full-auto for midrange. Aim for chest, recoil will kick up and occasionally reward you with the 'PING'

ACR - Irons take getting used to, but deadly accurate. Like COD4's Skorpion with a bigger mag. Use with any tier 2 perk you like, IMO SP is not all that necessary

AK-47 - just cause how strong it is. Stopping power, bursts for long range, two hits usually kill I think.

SCAR-H - same as AK, a little less recoil, but smaller magazine, and a great ironsight. I laugh when I see people using a red dot/holo on this gun

UMP45 - currently my favorite SMG. 3-hit kill from any range, use cold-blooded or Hardline

Vector - love the high rate of fire and accuracy

P90 - same as above, but moar bullets

AUG HBAR - put a grip and stopping power on it = ownage. The ironsights aren't bad, you can put a heartbeat on it too.

Intervention - unsilenced + SP. One-shot kills.

WA2000 silenced + stopping power = little sway, usually a one-shot kill for upper body

Try these guns out in a private match. From afar, up close, etc.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
One thing that helped me out, was to practice running with your weapon sights in the middle of the screen. This way when you come across another player you'll shoot them in the upper body instead of their feet.

I used to lose all those battles because I had my gun too low when we met up. It takes a little getting used to because you can't see as well with your gun blocking your LOS, but it certainly helped my k/d ratio.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 PM

ARRGGH I was playing Hardcore Search and Destroy and I got my care package. My TEAMMATE spawns next to me while I'm about to grab my package and shotguns me in the face and STEALS MY EMP!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

thanks guys appreciate it.

dang AceSUP is ranked like 160K....
Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator

what gun/scope is this? it's bad ass but since I usually don't last more than a couple of minutes without dying, I don't get to have too much fun with it. (this is something I love about the deathstreak stuff, it lets you play some of the bigger guns! I even had a javelin today. which I fired once and it hit nothing lol)

Old 12-01-2009, 12:24 AM

that's the TAR-21. Not one of my faves. In fact my least fave. Strong but poor accuracy for long distance

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
One thing that helped me out, was to practice running with your weapon sights in the middle of the screen. This way when you come across another player you'll shoot them in the upper body instead of their feet.

I used to lose all those battles because I had my gun too low when we met up. It takes a little getting used to because you can't see as well with your gun blocking your LOS, but it certainly helped my k/d ratio.
oh yeah, that too. I do that when I'm sniping. Go prone, crawl up to window, crouch to peek and boom, prone again, move position, repeat. And when you're heading into an area full of bad guys, pull up your sights before you see around the corner.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Moderator

hmm... I guess I just liked the feel of it. I think I killed one guy with it lol.

What scope is it?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 AM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
It's the red dot scope for it. Just looks different because that's the real MARS sight that's on the gun. Same with the ACOG scope on the L86, it's the SUSAT scope from real life that's on all the L86 variants.

I have pretty much the same strategies for all my games. One thing that's especially important is situational awareness. Know your surroundings, know where cover is in case you get shot. PC plays a bit differently than the consoles, because you can control your aim so well. So, if I run out into the open and I notice someone has a bead on me, my first instinct is to find cover, then throw a flash/semtex if they're not heading towards me.

Knowing the maps is very important too. Look for common routes that people run to, and try to remember where people were when they killed you. When you die, think about what you could've done in the same situation to have killed that person instead of them killing you, and apply that next time you're in the area. Kill cams are great to see what you did wrong, and how easy of a target you made yourself.

Also, look for good camping spots in the death zones where there are long, narrow passages that people commonly run through. Most of the maps are designed to have 3-4 main routes from one end to the other. These are the areas you should pay attention to. Highrise has three of these on the main level of the map, Overpass has the bridge and the left/right areas, Terminal has the security area, the hallway that faces outside, and the airplane, etc...

There's nothing wrong with "camping" or really just taking cover. People seem to think that killing from behind cover is a bad thing because it's really annoying for them, but it's the best thing you can do. I'd say my playing style is more of a moving camper. I like to move from cover to cover, kill a couple people, then move up if it's clear/ move back if they're still pressing you from the same position. If you stay in one area too long, you better be prepared to pull off some high-finesse kills because you're asking for trouble.

One of the great advantages to "camping" in this game is that you can get behind cover where, while you have a clear view of what's on the other side, all the other people can see is the top of your head. There are TONS of these spots in the game, so try to remember where they are. Essentially, I like to get a forward position for myself, and let them get themselves killed by running into my field of view. If possible, try to always keep something between you and a potential enemy, so if you start getting shot you can just go prone.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 AM
E92

As far as guns go, I only snipe on wasteland (Intervention w/ thermal, slight of hand pro and stopping power) and on Derail (Intervention with normal scope, and the same perks). The other maps are just too small, and assault rifles are much better suited for them.

I mainly use the SCAR with stopping power, and the ACR, and I like the heartbeat sensor for both of them since it's rare for people to be using ninja against you. I find if I camp too much with the HBS, people tend to switch to their ninja class just to get me. Like I said, stick around too much and you're asking for trouble.

I'll post some more strats tomorrow, maybe get some videos up next weekend.

And costco, what's your k/d? Did someone say it was 2.5? Because that's damn impressive if it is. Mine's pretty hard to maintain at ~2.2
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
SCAR-H - same as AK, a little less recoil, but smaller magazine, and a great ironsight. I laugh when I see people using a red dot/holo on this gun
can you explain that a bit?

Also I loved seeing/using the Vector in this game, I had seen a video about it on some new technology program a while back and it was cool to "use" it!

(the gun's recoil goes downward rather than backwards, giving substantially more stability)
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
I'm just glad I'm usually on Daniel's team (Costco) lol
I try jumping in his game sometimes and I find myself going up against Daniel and Young instead.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The few times I played against you srika...
You would spot me... but fail to kill. This would give away your position and then I would just turn around and kill.

So if you see someone that hasn't seen you. Don't move and don't shoot unless you can kill them for sure. They might come closer to you or move around so that you'll have a clearer shot.

General map awareness and knowing where the enemy is about to spawn helps not getting shot in the back and instead shooting them in the back.

If you really want to learn the dirty camp spots and other techniques... watch youtube videos of people playing and getting kill streaks.

If you want to improve your aim. Use the famas or m16. It makes it so that you can't just spray and pray.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ haha... hey what's your username?

something I didn't know until today is, when you fire you show up on the radar - really trying to keep that in mind. Also I think I was using a bad weapon combo before - just now I switched to SCAR-H, red dot, stopping power and I noticed a marked increase in my kills.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Racer

PSN name is ronzhi.

I usually just jump into your game and sometimes end up on the opposing team. Send a party invite and I'll probably join.

Regarding the Scar-H and red dot/holo sights... The iron sights are really good that rds/holo aren't needed. They're small so they don't obstruct your view too.

And I just recently found out... you can knife sentry guns. One knife will disable it.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Burning Brakes

My MO has always been the same.. I don't have the reflexes to be a successful gungho player.. I do laps around the outer edges of the map and look/shoot in. The way I see it, you eliminate an angle to be shot at while you are able to look at almost everything around you. That with cold blood and ninja = success for me
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 AM
I shoot people

Costco had a 20-0 tonight and everybody's like "Dayum!!", then a few games later he gets a 30-0!!! And everybody's like "Fucking Costco! Get a life, wud ya!!??"
Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gmsron
PSN name is ronzhi.

I usually just jump into your game and sometimes end up on the opposing team. Send a party invite and I'll probably join.

Regarding the Scar-H and red dot/holo sights... The iron sights are really good that rds/holo aren't needed. They're small so they don't obstruct your view too.

And I just recently found out... you can knife sentry guns. One knife will disable it.
oh yeah seen you. will keep an eye out next time.

I will also try the iron sight.

and NICE on the knife to the sentry gun, I will definitely try it thx. doesn't make much sense though does it lol.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
I have a nasty habit of looking thru the iron sights when a enemy is really close. I need to learn to hip fire in those situations because it's slower to aim with the sights up.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't have a headset. I miss being able to chat or taunt like in Unreal. Sometimes some idiots will come on the mic and start talking crap. Today there were 2 women having a regular conversation on someone's mic - like talking about totally unrelated personal family stuff etc. It was SOOOOOOOOOO super annoying to listen to that while trying to play. And it started while in the middle of a good game so I didn't wanna leave. Sucked assssssss
Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 AM

My ratio is 2.6 right now. Been on a few hot streaks lately, and less creeping around with the riot shield/knifing people.

Lol Luis... Whenever we do play it's never for a long time. Young is as good or even better than me, I'm just better with the AC-130/chopper gunner, I think. Oh and there'll be games where every one out of five kills I get is from a claymore.

can you explain that a bit?

Also I loved seeing/using the Vector in this game, I had seen a video about it on some new technology program a while back and it was cool to "use" it!

(the gun's recoil goes downward rather than backwards, giving substantially more stability)
Heh I didn't mean it as an insult or anything... I can do pretty well with ironsights I guess. Most people use a red dot but I really like the sight on the SCAR... Hell I think it has the best irons in the game. It's just preference really. I just think you could put a better attachment on it is all, or even two if you want. Gmsron explained it pretty well.

I remember watching a show about the Vector (they called itthe KRISS Super V) and it was sweet. It should be the best smg in the game, but balance reasons I guess.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Senior Moderator

didnt take it as an insult

Kriss Super V! that is totally it!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 AM

yeah man it's just preference. Try the ironsights though. I give each gun a test drive in a private match before I use it in matches.

That was funny as hell Ken. Those dudes were pissed off! both rounds happened the same way... I should chance the nuke though, woulda had one that one round.

Originally Posted by TLyoung'un
My MO has always been the same.. I don't have the reflexes to be a successful gungho player.. I do laps around the outer edges of the map and look/shoot in. The way I see it, you eliminate an angle to be shot at while you are able to look at almost everything around you. That with cold blood and ninja = success for me
yeah this is good advice too, same goes for what Tommy said. I tend to do that now that I think about it. Young is a good player too, as good or better than me. The times we got matched up against each other in COD4 he tended to sneak up on me. I just happen to be a badass AC-130/chopper gunner. 11-0 can turn into 25-0 pretty quick.

Last edited by Costco; 12-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Will try the scar with ironsight tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:07 AM

I don't have a headset. I miss being able to chat or taunt like in Unreal. Sometimes some idiots will come on the mic and start talking crap. Today there were 2 women having a regular conversation on someone's mic - like talking about totally unrelated personal family stuff etc. It was SOOOOOOOOOO super annoying to listen to that while trying to play. And it started while in the middle of a good game so I didn't wanna leave. Sucked assssssss
You do know you can mute people right???????!!??
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 AM

Prestiged tonight!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Can you explain the prestige process and what you get out of it?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM

You lose all your guns and equipments and you start at Level 0 again. You get several new challenges, new emblems, new call signs. You also get a 6th slot for custom classes. I think you get additional slots for classes at 1st and 3rd for sure, not sure about beyond that.

You have the option to Prestige or not once you FINISH level 70. If you don't want to, then nothing really happens and you go about your life like normal.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 AM
E92

btw, the javelin shoots down the chopper gunner in 1 hit, no flares or anything. I've had so many chopper gunner killstreaks ended because the other team was carrying javelins around.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
The next time you don't want to hear someone on your team, while in the game, press select and the list of players will come up. Then highlight the one(s) that you don't want to hear and press X to mute them.

Quick Reply: 360, PS3, PC, Wii: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2