Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I told a Quality Assurance engineer about that Honda sign and he laughed his ass off.

"Really? But they use the same pedals as Toyota." So it looks like it's a bit too early for Honda to celebrate.

Ford, who uses the same pedals manufactured by CTS, is stopping production on a certain model until they ensure there is no problem. This may not be limited to Toyota... too early to tell or see the big picture.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I suggest you read the thread in the Automotive section, there is a bunch more info on it there, you might start to look at it a little different. Its getting deeper for them now.
Indeed, especially with the allegation involving NHTSA dating back to 2004.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I told a Quality Assurance engineer about that Honda sign and he laughed his ass off.

"Really? But they use the same pedals as Toyota." So it looks like it's a bit too early for Honda to celebrate.

Ford, who uses the same pedals manufactured by CTS, is stopping production on a certain model until they ensure there is no problem. This may not be limited to Toyota... too early to tell or see the big picture.
I wouldn't doubt it.. That's why this fingerpointing bs should stop and a thorough investigation should begin. That sign is pretty chicken shit of that gm dealership especially since they've had problems of their own.

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Indeed, especially with the allegation involving NHTSA dating back to 2004.
yep.. NHTSA's real job is to protect the market & the masses as a whole not the individual consumer. They started pushing Toyota away a little saying "Hey, you're on your own" after Toyota started spewing bs in the news about being cleared 100% by the NHTSA and how it was the floormat, nothing more. The NHTSA knew what was coming, but it was the NHTSA who were quick to look over & deny a thorough investigation claiming due diligence was being fulfilled by Toyota for all these years when in reality nothing was being done other than some finger crossing & check writing.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Just got back from the auto show and not only was the Toyota display pretty quiet but the guests that were there were constantly jabbing 'sticking pedals'. They were even doing it at Lexus....I was honestly surprised.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Toyota's Tylenol Moment
By Alex Taylor III, senior editor January 28, 2010: 1:30 PM ET

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- In the midst of its biggest recall ever, Toyota is grappling with an existential crisis.

By suspending production and sales of eight models in the U.S. and recalling millions of vehicles, it is putting its business on hold for an indefinite amount of time while it attempts to correct its twin problems of sticky accelerators and faulty carpets.

This is an especially difficult dilemma for the company, because it has built its reputation not on looks or performance or great deals, but upon quality and dependability.

For guidance -- and perhaps inspiration -- Toyota should do some research on the Johnson & Johnson Tylenol recall of 1982.

That year, seven people in the Chicago area died from taking Tylenol capsules poisoned with potassium cyanide. The case remains unsolved, and no suspects were ever charged.

But Johnson & Johnson (JNJ, Fortune 500) didn't wait around for the authorities to act. It stopped production of Tylenol and issued a nationwide recall of 31 million bottles already in circulation with a retail value of over $100 million.

The murders stopped, and J&J's actions led to changes in packaging -- those annoying seals on everything from aspirin to milk -- as well as federal anti-tampering laws. Through its prompt action, J&J was able to actually enhance the value of the Tylenol brand by making product safety one of its attributes.

Toyota has a much tougher job ahead of it. That's because the problems in its cars are not the result of a crazed individual but are systemic to the product development process. Fixing the system that allowed the defects to occur will be complex and expensive.

The twin accelerator and carpet problems have been widely blamed on Toyota's pell-mell expansion over the last several years in its effort to pass General Motors and become the leader in worldwide sales.

But the accelerator problems seem to lie instead with a parallel effort that accompanied expansion: an almost paranoid drive to cut costs by using cheaper materials.

Last month, for instance, it was reported that Toyota had "requested" its suppliers to help in reducing parts costs over the next three years to compensate for slowing sales. That's a huge number, and a "request" from a big customer like Toyota is more like an order.

Cutting individual part costs can have a telling effect on their quality. Meanwhile, Toyota also moved more parts-buying overseas, away from familiar Japanese suppliers and into unfamiliar foreign ones. That may look good on the books, but it can lead to unreliable sources.

Just put an old and new Toyota side-by-side. You'll see the corner-cutting impact from the surface down, and it isn't pretty.

The 2009 RAV4, one of the models under the current recall, on the surface appears to be a better overall value than its predecessor. But take a close look at something like its instrument panel, and you'll see it has been noticeably cheapened by stripping out popular options and using inferior materials. And those are just the parts of the car that are visible to the customer. More cost-cutting may be hidden from view.

To ensure that it doesn't face any more embarrassing recalls, Toyota is going to have to look through all its new models' parts lists for potential problems caused by cost-cutting and find a fix. And it will have to rethink the way it is designing future models to avoid running into the same issue .

Toyota will be hard-pressed to match J&J's performance. The drugmaker developed tamper-resistant packaging in a matter of weeks. Toyota has been stumbling so far in coming up with a robust accelerator fix; one dealer describes the current one as a Rube Goldberg solution that is hardly representative of the kind of work usually done by Japanese engineers.

Another advantage J&J had the willingness of its CEO, James Burke, to step forward and accept responsibility. He became a national hero in a matter of weeks. Toyota's top executives are traditionally more reticent and like to stay in the background. It must be noted though that current president Akio Toyoda has shown himself willing to break with the past.

But the biggest difference between Toyota and Tylenol may be money. J&J spent $100 million two decades ago to clean up its mess. Toyota may have to invest billions, and that's a big bill to win back the trust of customers.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/28/auto...cnn=yes&hpt=C2
A lot of people have noticed Toyota's quality decreasing, namely the cheap interiors as of late.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
A lot of people have noticed Toyota's quality decreasing, namely the cheap interiors as of late.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Meh, have you seen the interior of the latest Pilot? Toyota wasn't the only one cutting costs.

The interior of my brother in laws 08 Civic looks like a cat got loose. Cheap plastics abound which don't hold up well to wear and tear.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Meh, have you seen the interior of the latest Pilot? Toyota wasn't the only one cutting costs.

The interior of my brother in laws 08 Civic looks like a cat got loose. Cheap plastics abound which don't hold up well to wear and tear.
lol.. big

They don't make'em like they used to.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

I was at the Auto Show last night and compared the interior materials of the Highlander, the Pilot, and the Santa Fe. In terms of interior build quality, the Hyundai won out and it was some $10,000 cheaper than the other two. I rented a new Highlander last winter (before the troubles) and was not impressed. It had only 12,000 miles on it and for $38,000, you shouldn't get a car that rattles like somebody let loose a jar of ball bearings in the dashboard.

People still know how much better the old Toyotas were. I think they hit their stride around 2000 and 2001; after that, they became too focused on being number one in sales and put quality by the wayside. I found proof last night on eBay...there is a 1994 Camry for sale there with only 44,000 original miles. As of around midnight it had 86 bids!

Right now, Toyota is suffering from a classic case of what I like to call the GM Syndrome. After years of being favored by the American public with minimal competition, they have come to believe that nobody will ever leave them and any customers they lose will quickly be replaced by those buying blindly on brand alone. I think this acceleration recall will damage their reputation beyond a safety standpoint. Today is different than it was in 1995; there are a great number of better cars out there for less money than what Toyota is charging. Rather than just seeing a Toyota badge and automatically seeing a great car, people are actually going to stop and look at these cars for what they really are. Right as rain, they will see that they aren't the high quality and value they were in the '90s. And I'd be willing to bet quite a few will go elsewhere.

A number of years ago, Toyota said Hyundai was its greatest threat and that they would be taking action to "improve quality" to match the Korean automaker. Personally, I'm still waiting for that....
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM

I have a 94 & 95 camry in the family & they still run like new. A little spot rusting for being on an island & simple stuff like brakes & ac service but they're champs. My father's old SR5 Toyota pickup had 300k before somebody stole it & stripped it for parts.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Im not surprised toyota is using the lame mat excuse. In the end it is all about money and reputation. Other ppls lives mean nothing to them. I remember reading something about ford i believe in the 80's-90's and a problem they had with the car or engine. one of the head guys there at Ford admitted after he left the company that they knew there was an issue but when they weighed out the cost of recalling all the vehicles they deemed it more cost productive to just pay off the lawsuits from injured/killed ppl than do a full recall. Seems like ppl forgot about it and Ford still gets business. Also Lexus saying its a mat problem makes their company look better than them saying yes we screwed up but we will fix it. Ppl with think well they screwed up this time they will again. Either way this scars toyota's reputation, but if they admit this is a real problem they will lose more money and customers.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I assume the "someone who loves Toyota" is me. I will say this; I am no more a lover of Toyota than anybody else. I just like to deal in FACTS. Fact 1 is that I own the car in question and I have personally never had anything like this happen to me. Fact 2 is that the tragic accident in California that sparked all of this outrage was investigated thoroughly and improper floormats were the cause. No crazy ECU gremlin or any other such nonsense. Toyota is working on a solution to the problem that caused that accident. Fact 3 is that no official investigation done in the last decade has found any problems with the ECU or throttle control systems in any Toyota. And lastly, Fact 4 is that improper floormats installed incorrectly have been proven (by Edmunds.com) to be able to cause a stuck accelerator pedal.

Those are the facts that I have read in this story. Any fanboyism being displayed here is really anti-Toyotaism IMO....
After reading ur posts and seeing you own the lexus now i see why ur defending it. You are biased. You can say im no toyota lover etc but when you own the car in question you are gonna be biased.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Lone Wolf

Wait a minute!!! I just had a thought! What if Nick Hogan's crash really was caused by the magical-mystical-neverbeenduplicated-ecu fart?? Holy cripes guys this problem goes all the way back to the Supra!! Damn you Toyota with your child-killing ways! Obviously I'll be going out to the garage to burn my IS now (the only way you can kill it is with fire). Thanks guys I now see the error of my ways. That was a close one....
how does someone so stupid get a lexus in the first place? parents buy it for you hahahaaa
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM

brian.. you're kinda late to the party.. Eric makes good money but his view is polarized. Arguing with him isn't worth getting the thread locked.. do what I do.. breathe.. and the next time you feel like disputing what he writes.. put this instead:

Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
how does someone so stupid get a lexus in the first place? parents buy it for you hahahaaa
In case you didn't know, red text = sarcasm...
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet in this thread, but I just read today in Car and Driver, that you have to hold down the ignition button for 3+ seconds in a Toyota for the engine to shut off. I know you should through it into neutral, but in case panic takes over and you immediately try to kill the engine, 3+ seconds can be a very long time to have to wait for the engine to shut off.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Alright guys...please lay off the personal attacks. Eric is just as entitled to his views and opinions as we all are. Lambasting him will just get this thread slapped with a which is not something I want.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

And yet another crash, this time into a laundry...

http://cbs3.com/local/Montgomery.Cou...2.1454021.html

Last edited by tmnhs81; 01-29-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
The more I read about some of these crashes like the one in the above post, it really makes me think that some people are just blaming Toyota for their stupidity..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
yeah.

I can see alot of accidents being blamed on bad accelarators in Toyotas for a while to come.

kinda takes away from the lives lost.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

That seems like it was caused more by old person syndrome than the car, if you ask me. If the driver can't remember if they stepped on the brake or not, it's kind of hard to blame the car.

Old people have been accelerating randomly through pane glass windows for YEARS.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 986 Likes on 530 Posts
From the Japan Times

Very interesting, as even Japanese analysts seem to think it is the drive-by-wire: (bold)

ANALYSIS
Toyota's image ills long-term: experts

By HIROKO NAKATA
Staff writer
Toyota Motor Corp.'s accelerator pedal problem isn't likely to have much of an impact on its bottom line this year, but the damage to its image will undermine it in the long term, analysts said Thursday.

"The impact on Toyota's business performance will be limited," an auto analyst at a Japanese securities house said on condition of anonymity. "But Toyota's image of safe and high quality is damaged."

The world's top automaker said Thursday it will recall an additional 1.09 million vehicles in the United States to rectify potential problems with gas pedals and floor mats.

The announcement came a day after Toyota said it would suspend U.S. sales of eight models — including the top-selling Camry — because the accelerator pedals could get stuck.

Analysts were forecasting a rebound in earnings for the business year to March 2011 because the failure of U.S. rivals General Motors Co. and Chrysler Corp. were expected to boost Toyota's sales in the North American market.

That scenario is no longer likely, they said.

In 2008, Toyota became the world's biggest automaker in production terms after going all-out to chase GM for the title. But that achievement, signaling GM's first fall from the top in 77 years, may have come at a dear price.

"We projected that Toyota would take advantage of the opportunity," said Shigeru Matsumura, an auto analyst at SMBC Friend Research Center. "But it is likely that Toyota won't be able to recover that much."

Analysts said Toyota is highly likely to lower its 2010 sales target in North America after projecting an 11 percent surge to 2.19 million units earlier in the business year.

The recall and production halt are also likely to encourage its rivals, U.S. and Japanese alike, to compete even harder.

On Wednesday, in a bid to lure its customers, GM launched an incentive campaign aimed at owners of Toyota vehicles.

Toyota is already in red ink. The automaker said in November it expected a ¥350 billion group operating loss and a ¥300 billion group net loss for the business year ending in March.

Analysts agree that one thing that could help Toyota out is the yen-dollar exchange rate. A weaker yen could help Toyota offset any fall in sales and shore up its overseas profits, they said.

As for the cause of the latest recall, many analysts say the accelerator defect might be deep-rooted in the company's internal operating system. When the carmaker expanded overseas production in the previous decade, its priority was to meet rapidly growing demand, the unnamed analyst said.

As a result, quality control suffered at the expense of faster production, the analyst said.

"Toyota wasn't perfect like everyone else after all," he said.

Toyota said the flawed pedal was supplied by a parts maker in North America. The parts maker, CTS Corp., said Thursday it is ready to supply Toyota with replacements.

"But Toyota is responsible for the design problem," said Toyota spokesman Hideaki Honma, "because we conducted the quality check and go-signed."

Japanese drivers aren't affected by the recall, but it could affect drivers in areas other than the United States.

The component that was used in all but the latest European models is the same one used in the U.S., Honma said.
If the Japanese are thinking this, hmmm......
Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess you don't view halting sales and production of 8 models and taking a $2+ billion hit isn't owning up to being "responsible" or caring about people's lives?

Tough to see how this could be the conclusion based upon the facts that we know at this time.

And the story above cites an "unnamed analyst." Hmm... maybe he owns stock in Honda or another competitor?

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Im not surprised toyota is using the lame mat excuse. In the end it is all about money and reputation. Other ppls lives mean nothing to them. I remember reading something about ford i believe in the 80's-90's and a problem they had with the car or engine. one of the head guys there at Ford admitted after he left the company that they knew there was an issue but when they weighed out the cost of recalling all the vehicles they deemed it more cost productive to just pay off the lawsuits from injured/killed ppl than do a full recall. Seems like ppl forgot about it and Ford still gets business. Also Lexus saying its a mat problem makes their company look better than them saying yes we screwed up but we will fix it. Ppl with think well they screwed up this time they will again. Either way this scars toyota's reputation, but if they admit this is a real problem they will lose more money and customers.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Um, this has not been going on for only a year or two...... That is the bigger issue. This has been something that has been happening to Toyota over the past 10-11 years, and only now has it become this big recall? Now they are concerned? I don't buy it.

And in Japan, if you step up and speak out you tend to get hammered down. It's a sure way to loose your job (which is your life over here. You're damaged goods and it would be tough to get a good job again). Yes, he is unnamed, but it's for a reason.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old "unnamed source" thing. Many a leak has been given to the "unnamed source" to counter a message or spread false info. Like I said... maybe the guy has a vested interest in seeing Toyota go down.

And the Japanese say: "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down" but that applies everywhere.

Originally Posted by mrmako
Um, this has not been going on for only a year or two...... That is the bigger issue. This has been something that has been happening to Toyota over the past 10-11 years, and only now has it become this big recall? Now they are concerned? I don't buy it.

And in Japan, if you step up and speak out you tend to get hammered down. It's a sure way to loose your job (which is your life over here. You're damaged goods and it would be tough to get a good job again). Yes, he is unnamed, but it's for a reason.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
So much for Honda reliability and safety...
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

That Honda dealership ad should read-
Our pedals do not stick but our cars may catch on fire but that is just the "power of dreams!!"
All this just sickens me as a consumer.
Nissan-Transmission issues
Toyota-The current debacle
Ford-issues in the past..currently okay
GM: I still do not think they make better cars than before.
BMW: HPFP failure
Merc: Electrical gremlins.
Audi: Electrical, turbo issues in older cars.
Hyundai: Cant think of many problems---probably will get my money next time around.
For all Honda fan boys-->I have seen their quality dropping through the years, they are not rock solid anymore. This is bound to happen due to the current economic times and competition and the need to provide more to the consumer on a shoe string budget.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
In light of recent events I take back everything I've said in this thread. Something is defintely going on with Toyota and it needs to be investigated thoroughly. That being said, until a clear cause for these incidents is found, I don't think there is any point to continuing this conjecture. The fact is NOBODY knows what is causing the malfunctions and there will have to be a neutral observer to figure it all out. The numbers of PROVEN incidents still remain a nearly insignificant amount (in terms of percentage, not lives) of the overall numbers of cars Toyota has built and lets not forget that every car maker has had at least one case of unintended acceleration in their past.

Btw, on the cheap Toyota (and even Lexus) interiors. We got a GS350 loaner the other day while I had a loose TPMS sensor replaced and I was very unimpressed with the dash material. Looked like it was made by Rubbermaid. I think my G37 has better materials than my wife's IS....
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM

In light of recent events I take back everything I've said in this thread. Something is defintely going on with Toyota and it needs to be investigated thoroughly. That being said, until a clear cause for these incidents is found, I don't think there is any point to continuing this conjecture. The fact is NOBODY knows what is causing the malfunctions and there will have to be a neutral observer to figure it all out. The numbers of PROVEN incidents still remain a nearly insignificant amount (in terms of percentage, not lives) of the overall numbers of cars Toyota has built and lets not forget that every car maker has had at least one case of unintended acceleration in their past.

Btw, on the cheap Toyota (and even Lexus) interiors. We got a GS350 loaner the other day while I had a loose TPMS sensor replaced and I was very unimpressed with the dash material. Looked like it was made by Rubbermaid. I think my G37 has better materials than my wife's IS....

kudos eric.. you seem like a bright guy, I was hoping you'd come around.. sorry for getting heated back there. We can only hope this plays out with no more lost lives and some justice for the families that have been genuinely affected.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Thank you, Eric. I too, apologize for the heated back-and-forthing a few pages back. Lives have been lost due to these defects, be it the floor mats, the pedal linkage, the drive by wire module or something we haven't even thought of yet and when lives are lost, people tend to get emotional.

We're all human and none of us are perfect. Imaginary rep points to you, sir.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Doubt cast on Toyota's decision to blame sudden acceleration on gas pedal defect
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...tory?track=rss
Federal vehicle safety records reviewed by The Times also cast doubt on Toyota's claims that sticky gas pedals were a significant factor in the growing reports of runaway vehicles. Of more than 2,000 motorist complaints of sudden acceleration in Toyota and Lexus vehicles over the last decade, just 5% blamed a sticking gas pedal, the analysis found.
That argument was given more weight Friday when the manufacturer of the suspect pedals insisted its products had been unfairly blamed...

"The problem of sudden unintended acceleration has been reported to have existed in some Lexus vehicles and Toyota vehicles going back to 1999, when CTS did not even make this product for any customer," the company said.

Toyota began using CTS-made pedals in the 2005 model year.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

If Toyota seriously intended to use CTS as a scapegoat, it's clear to me that it was a pretty piss-poor execution of an even more poorly thought out plan.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Eric, you're a bigger man to admit that you may have been wrong on your assertions. And apologies if it seems we were coming after you, because that really was not the point.

The overriding issue is if you go to the NHTSA website and search on all of the reports of sudden acceleration from 1999 (this will take a lot of patience), you'll see that yes, they (NHTSA) couldn't find a problem with the Toyota cars, but they have a disproportionate amount of this type of issue.

If your product appears to have a problem that could kill people (and this obviously does), it needs to be investigated. The fact that a few out of millions of cars may have an does not diminish it, it is a life threatening problem and Toyota did not do much over the past 11 years. That is the problem I have with them. And as said above about CTS as the scapegoat,

Last edited by mrmako; 01-30-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnhs81

I think its time for Honda dealers to make some money...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/n...owners-rental/
I like this comment I found below that article:

Toyota : moving forward... even when you don't want to.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
So I guess you don't view halting sales and production of 8 models and taking a $2+ billion hit isn't owning up to being "responsible" or caring about people's lives?

Tough to see how this could be the conclusion based upon the facts that we know at this time.

And the story above cites an "unnamed analyst." Hmm... maybe he owns stock in Honda or another competitor?
toyota was legally bound to stop production according to the NTSB

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nhtsa-re...-vehicles.html

NHTSA provides clarification behind Toyota’s latest stoppage of production and sales of eight new models

Strickland labeled Toyota’s decision as the “legally and morally correct thing to do,” according to The Detroit News.

According to Chapter 301 of the Motor Safety Code, Toyota cannot legally sell the defective vehicles until it has a remedy.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
There is definitely something bad going on or else Toyota wouldn't have done what its been doing the past week or so. But as bad as the actual problem is, its their handling of it that makes it so much worse. I agree with whoever said that they don't think Toyota has any idea what is actually wrong and that they are scrambling to come up with something out of panic...
Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Teardown of Denso and CTS pedal assemblies. It raises more questions than answers as the CTS is a newer design.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/exc...-recalled-too/
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow he finally learned that Toyota/Lexus isn't all that.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by doopstr
Teardown of Denso and CTS pedal assemblies. It raises more questions than answers as the CTS is a newer design.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/exc...-recalled-too/
A simple spring (dual) mechanism with a magnetic armature....Hmmm, And they only went to these in 2005, but problems go back to 2001 or earlier? The sender unit in the pedal is relaying nothing more than the position of the magnet, so it is a simple device.

The last paragraph sums it up, at least for me.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I could be wrong but i doubt that the pedals are the cause. It just doesnt add up.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
wow, the lawsuits are starting to roll out and this one if it is approved will prevent the recalled cars from getting fixed.

Yesterday, the Wall Street Journal wrote: “Hell, in modern imagination, is not a place of fiery lakes and acrid fumes. It’s a maze of deposition rooms you can’t escape, where nothing is what it seems. That’s where Toyota has landed.“

Welcome to hell.

The Parker Waichman Alonso law firm , of Great Neck, NY, teamed up with the Becnel Law Firm, in New Orleans, LA and put on Businesswire that they “filed suit on behalf of several consumers who purchased Toyota vehicles subject to various recalls issued in January 2010 for defects in the vehicles’ gas pedals. The lawsuit, which was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, seeks class action status.”

So what does the Esqs. from Long Island and New Orleans want? That Toyota is ordered to recall all affected vehicles? Isn’t Toyota already doing that? To the tune of some 8m (and mounting) cars worldwide?

Au contraire!

Their complaint “asks the Court to enjoin Toyota from implementing any fixes in the accelerator pedals of the subject vehicles without approval from the NHTSA.” To those who are not familiar with a strange language called Legalese, “enjoin” means “issue an injunction,” or, in even plainer English, “order someone to stop doing something.”

The lawyers ask the court to stop Toyota from fixing the recalled cars without approval from NHTSA. If the court grants this request, the cars will never get fixed.

The NHTSA never grants an approval. Toyota issued a press release that says “Regarding reports that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has “approved” a plan for our pedal recall; it is Toyota’s understanding that NHTSA does not officially approve recall remedies.”

The NHTSA can disapprove a recall plan. Approving one would mean taking responsibility. The NHTSA would never do that.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/law...m-fixing-cars/

Quick Reply: Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*